The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
SuckaPunchd

Canes Acquire Jordan Staal for 8th pick, Brandon Sutter and Dumo

Actually, the article is dead nuts on. Both teams got what they wanted(needed). For Pittsburgh, yes, obviously Staal is the better of the two players - right now. But with the offensive talent already in place in Pittsburgh, Sutter doesn't need to be as good offenceivly as Staal, and he's already as good, if not better defenceivly. Plus he's a LOT cheaper. If Shero is able to sign Parise as a result of this and the Michalek trade, they ought to erect a statue of him next to Lemieux's.

I think this is Shero's goal. Once Jordan turn down his offer...he had two choices either play out one more year with Staal & try to get a draft pick from Carolina after the season ended for his rights, or trade him now...get a third line center, & what ever else you can...which turn out to be Sutter, #8, & Dumoulin.

Then he rolls the dice & trades Michalek to open up cap room...it was rumored that they wanted to trade Martin, but it ended up being easier to move Michalek to PHX. Now he will go hard at Parise...who is friends with Crosby...& if he becomes a Pen he will be on Crosby's line. Suter or Garrison are back up plans for the cap space if they lose Parise.

Losing J. Staal, & Michalek will be less of a hit if it turns into Sutter, Parise, & 2 young D prospects(#8, & Dumoulin)

Pens top 6 could be:

Kunitz Malkin Neal

Parise Crosby Dupuis

Canes top 6 should be:

Tlusty E. Staal Ruutu

Jokinen J. Staal Skinner

Which is stronger now after the trade. Canes won't get Parise...Nash & Ryan will cost way too much. Semin has the russian factor, & the fact that he disappers in the playoffs...PA has only one good year to his credit...Whitney who is 40...might be what the Canes need...yes it is a risk, but I think it would work with a one year deal.

Canes top 6 could be:

Whitney E. Staal Ruutu

Tlusty / Jokinen, J. Staal Skinner

To me this is stronger. I would only put the Staal Bros together on the top PP unit. We need Jordan to be our #2 center at 5 on 5..

Edited by rocheccw

Agreed. although it will be cool playing the Staals on the same line it would the team. It's better to divide the talent have 2 lines that have great centers. We have never filled the #2 center void since Brindy retired. We have also not made the playoffs since that void happened...

Edited by bluedevil58

When Crosby came back in, back to third line with scoring machines, Kennedy and Cooke. His point production went down slightly, but he still kept going.

Incorrect. When Crosby came back he was the one playing with Kennedy and Cooke. Even in the playoffs they were his line mates. Crosby came back March 15th, Cooke scored 2 goals in back to back games including 2 GWGs and got 7 of his 19 goals in those 14 games. Kennedy got 5 of his 11 goals in those 14 games. Crosby got 6 of his 8 goals and 19 of his 29 assists.

Staal on the second line for those 14 games got 3 of his 25 goals and 9 of his 25 assists. Dupuis got 7 of 25 his goals and 10 of his 34 assists, and Sullivan got 3 of 17 his goals and 6 of his 31 assists.

Crosby only played more minutes than Staal in 3 games one being the final playoff game.

Incorrect. When Crosby came back he was the one playing with Kennedy and Cooke. Even in the playoffs they were his line mates. Crosby came back March 15th, Cooke scored 2 goals in back to back games including 2 GWGs and got 7 of his 19 goals in those 14 games. Kennedy got 5 of his 11 goals in those 14 games. Crosby got 6 of his 8 goals and 19 of his 29 assists.

Staal on the second line for those 14 games got 3 of his 25 goals and 9 of his 25 assists. Dupuis got 7 of 25 his goals and 10 of his 34 assists, and Sullivan got 3 of 17 his goals and 6 of his 31 assists.

Crosby only played more minutes than Staal in 3 games one being the final playoff game.

We are both incorrect. Crosby did play on the third line with Cooke and Kennedy for some time when he came back, but the lines were juggled and then he began playing with his regulars.

The first 7 games back, 2 of Crosby's goals were assisted by Dupuis, not Cooke or Kennedy. Staal assisted on a Cooke and Kennedy goal in those 7 games as well.

As for Crosby's points you would also have to factor in the power play goals and assists Crosby gets with superior PP time. I don't think he had too many during that period, but those points were not gotten by his 3rd line play.

To actually say that he played with particular linemates when he came back is incorrect and I was.

As to who had it rougher compared to quality of competition and which players received the benefit of more offensive zone time.....

http://www.pensburgh.com/2012/6/14/3085656/2011-2012-pittsburgh-penguins-player-usage-chart

This would show, no matter what line Staal played on, he was still in defensive mode as Dan the man used him.

Pierre LeBrun‏@Real_ESPNLeBrun - Easier said than done but the Carolina Hurricanes are hoping to conclude a contract extension with Jordan Staal within the next 2 weeks

Pierre LeBrun‏@Real_ESPNLeBrun - Easier said than done but the Carolina Hurricanes are hoping to conclude a contract extension with Jordan Staal within the next 2 weeks

woohoo.gifohyeah.gifyahoo.gifbanana.gif

I have one thing to tell Cane fans , it is STAAL GOOD ,can not wait to see Jordan play .

Every game this season is a Staal-Star Game.

Maybe he will want the contract for the same amount of years that Eric has left!!

Maybe he will want the contract for the same amount of years that Eric has left!!

I'm hoping he gets longer than what Eric has left. If both of their contracts are up at the same time, they might decide to play somewhere else together. But if Jordan has 4 or 5 years left on his contract after Eric's is up, Eric is probably going to stay with his bro. Or none of that matters, and they both want to stay here for the rest of their career. Who knows.

It's game one of the regular season........Will Tripp be able to contain himself? I think we should start a poll.

How many times in the game will Tripp mention Eric and Jordan's names in the same sentence?

:blahblah: :blahblah: :blahblah:

He'll probably get carried away and call one of the Mark at some point :blush:

Jordan Staal's new deal runs through the 2022-23 NHL season. Eric's current contract is through the 2015-16 season. Hmmmm, anyone know when Marc Staal is up for FA?

Jordan Staal's new deal runs through the 2022-23 NHL season. Eric's current contract is through the 2015-16 season. Hmmmm, anyone know when Marc Staal is up for FA?

Marc is signed through 2014-2015 and will be a UFA. I smell something cooking there.

Great to see Jordan locked up. Apparently it's a straight $6 million a year, no front or back loading.

That trade looks pretty good now, eh?

Did anyone really doubt a deal would get done?

I LOVE this - every update regarding this trade gets better. Signing him for the same amount/length that Pittsburgh offered really speaks in volumes to what Jordan is committed to, here. He deserves a LOT of love from the Caniac Nation... and I'm sure he'll get it. I think it's a good deal, too. Everything is falling into place.

You'll be able to buy your #11, Jordan Staal jerseys, complete with the "A" on the front of the jersey in a few weeks.

JR says J Staal gets the A for his sweater

Somehow, this doesn't come as a surprise to me.

Did anyone really doubt a deal would get done?

Well there was probably someone. When we made a deal he had a one-year deal, even though we gave him Pittsburgh's deal there was no guarantee he would take that. Somehow absolutely knowing that he's locked up for 10 years confirms fro any doubters this was a good deal in my opinion.

Picked a bad day to be at work!