The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
SuckaPunchd

Canes Acquire Jordan Staal for 8th pick, Brandon Sutter and Dumo

I'm glad we resigned him, but I guess I wish we coulda seen if he's going to be the 2nd line center so many think he can be. 10 years based on assumption kinda scares the crap out of me.

I really doubt that come next offseason he would have jumped ship with his brother here.

We'll see what happens I suppose.

I'm not sure how exactly the 10 years and 60 million is prorated, but I agree he will be a 70 plus points/year guy, and in a a few years an average of 6 million a year will look pretty good from our end for that kind of production.

Just look what Mr. Parise ends up getting. I know J.Staal hasn't actually put up Parise numbers yet, but I think he can put up next tier numbers, and maybe even higher. Plus he plays defense well and does a lot of other important things.

We will look back on this as a pivotal move.

Isn't that the same deal the Pens offered?

Almost, we also threw in that he gets to live in Raleigh and play on the same team as his brother. :D

I think it would have been disrespectful if we did not at least match what the Pens offered.

Almost, we also threw in that he gets to live in Raleigh and play on the same team as his brother. :D

I think it would have been disrespectful if we did not at least match what the Pens offered.

Think the Pens said the actual amount was $58M over 10 years.

Still laughing at that contract. It was stupid when Ray offered it to him in Pittsburgh and it is just as bad in NC. It will be a very long 10 years when he is not living up to the contract and they want to unload him in year 2 because of it and no one will take him on because of it.

Still laughing at that contract. It was stupid when Ray offered it to him in Pittsburgh and it is just as bad in NC. It will be a very long 10 years when he is not living up to the contract and they want to unload him in year 2 because of it and no one will take him on because of it.

Your delusional. I'll bet anything the bros win at least one cup together and stay here for many years. Staal will putting up 90points a year and Jordan 70points a year playing with eachother.

I need to get to these boards more often. Just wanted to say this is exciting news, and I will be driving from Columbia to watch some games this season.

I need to get to these boards more often. Just wanted to say this is exciting news, and I will be driving from Columbia to watch some games this season.

It should be exciting. I'm already looking at what games I want to attend this season.

Thanks for stopping by to try to rain on our parade. It's awful that your guy couldn't sign JStaal and then struck out on Parise. You're right, that JStaal guy's a bum. :coollaugh:

It burns. :kleenex:

Maybe you should focus your energies on worrying about whether or not the Pens will be able to keep Malkin in Pittsburgh while still having enough cash left over to put a decent team on the ice.

Maybe you should focus your energies on worrying about whether or not the Pens will be able to keep Malkin in Pittsburgh while still having enough cash left over to put a decent team on the ice.

Well with Crosby not getting a raise, and having a free 14 million this season I think keeping Malkin is going to be easy. Even if they use some of it, they have 9 million coming off the books then. Add in what will probably be yet another cap increase and they could have 11 million just from that off season.

But then Malkin has said he would never ask for more than Crosby so I think it is safe to say that wont come into play anyway.

Pittsburgh is a little more to the north, maybe we can get ya a taxi?? :coollaugh:

Thanks for stopping by to try to rain on our parade. It's awful that your guy couldn't sign JStaal and then struck out on Parise. You're right, that JStaal guy's a bum. :coollaugh:

It burns. :kleenex:

He did not want to sign. He did not like being 3rd fiddle. He probably will be on his new team behind his brother and Skinner. Ray tossed out that crazy contract so he Jordan could turn it down then he could say "Look I am not the bad guy" after he traded him. That contract offer was nothing more than a PR move. Good luck with your 3rd line center playing on the 2nd or even 1st line for the next 11 years experiment.

Pittsburgh is a little more to the north, maybe we can get ya a taxi?? :coollaugh:

Need to go much further north than that. I am about 5 minutes away from the Sod farm I am sure you get to hear about all the time like we did.

I think someone is butt hurt about Jordan signing with Carolina and not with the Pens.

Hmm...this is not a good deal if it brings with it the Pens fan trolls. Sorry, redundant.

Took a little to get over the initial shock. Still wish we'd gotten an additional second rounder or something...but when you make a big deal for someone you really want, sometimes you overpay a little to do it. That's how it works. We didn't get robbed, that's for sure.

J Staal has the potential for Brindy-like numbers, and that costs. Sutter was and is never going to produce that. And now we have a leg up on a certain top 4 dman in a couple of years. Maybe sooner if Sather goes crazy for Nash...imagine that one. That ought to get ya going, Superdave.

I have been with top shelf over the years as one who prefers E Staal on the wing, and still do. But not sure who would be #2 center in that scenario. Jussi is pretty decent but not optimal. Same with Ruutu. It'll be interesting to see how Muller puts it all together. This could be what we need to get out of the gate with energy.

Okay let's cut through all the bull. No more "this one has the potential", "this one will never", and best of all "He gets to play with his brother". We traded 3rd liner for 3rd liner and that cost us an extra 4 mil per year. Remember Jordan was at the same place in his career as Brandon but playing on a team that made the playoffs every year since we won the cup. We also threw into the deal a D-man and the #8 pick. Can one player get us to creep into the playoffs? Maybe...we'll see. As for the last point...have you ever worked with your brother? Easy wasn't it? Not every brother combination are the Sedins. Maybe.... we'll see.

And now we have a leg up on a certain top 4 dman in a couple of years. Maybe sooner if Sather goes crazy for Nash...imagine that one. That ought to get ya going, Superdave.

Maybe I'm slow, but what's going to get me going?

Ha, maybe I'm just too far behind, I was just reading somewhere about you getting excited about the Staals on the PP. Just referring to us having the inside track to Mark Staal down the line, maybe sooner. It was funnier in my head. :mellow:

This thread has been utterly derailed by our friendly troll and has gotten really odd.

The bottom line is this. Let's table this discussion and revisit it about this time next year.

I think soulcrusher and winger52 will be oddly silent then.

No need to let a troll shut down a thread. Personally, I can't wait to see a Staal-Staal rush into the zone, in a game. I'll be there, and won't be sitting beside soulcrusher OR winger52. :woohoo:

I'll be there, and won't be sitting beside soulcrusher OR winger52. :woohoo:

They'll be easy to find, wearing a Roethlisberger jersey and flinging a Terrible Towel.

Called a troll for stating an opinion! I guess we all can look forward to 1 page discussions once you guys give your thoughts. Sorry I didn't follow the correct line. I guess since I have only bought season tickets to hockey for the last 18 years I get to be insulted by being referred to as a Pens fan. Not true... so pick another team you think I back to vent about.

Okay let's cut through all the bull. No more "this one has the potential", "this one will never", and best of all "He gets to play with his brother". We traded 3rd liner for 3rd liner and that cost us an extra 4 mil per year. Remember Jordan was at the same place in his career as Brandon but playing on a team that made the playoffs every year since we won the cup. We also threw into the deal a D-man and the #8 pick. Can one player get us to creep into the playoffs? Maybe...we'll see. As for the last point...have you ever worked with your brother? Easy wasn't it? Not every brother combination are the Sedins. Maybe.... we'll see.

We traded a 3rd liner for 3rd liner? One guy is an elite center that played behind 2 super elite centers. You can't compare Brandon to Jordan. One is WAY better....and has WAY more upside. Don't get all butt hurt because our GM made the move to land an elite up and coming center that will fill the void that Brindy left.

Edited by bluedevil58

We traded a 3rd liner for 3rd liner? One guy is an elite center that played behind 2 super elite centers. You can't compare Brandon to Jordan. One is WAY better....and has WAY more upside. Don't get all butt hurt because our GM made the move to land an elite up and coming center that will fill the void that Brindy left.

And that would be your opinion. Just like the other was my opinion. As far as I know nobody was "butt hurt" to quote you.