The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
SuckaPunchd

Canes Acquire Jordan Staal for 8th pick, Brandon Sutter and Dumo

And that would be your opinion. Just like the other was my opinion. As far as I know nobody was "butt hurt" to quote you.

Funny coming from the guy who walks away from this board like a penguin every few months.

Honestly winger52, I know you're trying to add to the discussion but there are plenty of members around here don't share the same opinions about all that has transpired this off season either. You've claimed in several posts to multiple members that no one here allows you to express your opinions and you're very defensive when others counter yours. When you post responses like this that call other members opinions "bull", you are doing exactly what you claim is being done to you.

Okay let's cut through all the bull. No more "this one has the potential", "this one will never", and best of all "He gets to play with his brother". We traded 3rd liner for 3rd liner and that cost us an extra 4 mil per year. Remember Jordan was at the same place in his career as Brandon but playing on a team that made the playoffs every year since we won the cup. We also threw into the deal a D-man and the #8 pick. Can one player get us to creep into the playoffs? Maybe...we'll see. As for the last point...have you ever worked with your brother? Easy wasn't it? Not every brother combination are the Sedins. Maybe.... we'll see.

You obviously know something about hockey and the Canes but I think your posts would be better received here if you didn't assume every counter opinion to yours was a personal attack. A good rule of thumb for message board discussions is if you put your opinion out there in print, expect someone to respond to it but not always agree with it.

The troll name calling needs to stop but others have tried to reason with you.

Funny coming from the guy who walks away from this board like a penguin every few months.

Yeah and I have a life. I didn't know there was a minimum number of posts you had to have yearly,monthly, weekly, daily, or hourly. What is the correct response interval?

Time to get this thread back on topic.

Anyone know if J has come house hunting yet?

What if he did and then realized he made a big mistake with the back to back 100+ degree weather weeks? Oh god! It's miserable outside!

Maybe someone will take him to the coast and make it all better :)

Honestly winger52, I know you're trying to add to the discussion but there are plenty of members around here don't share the same opinions about all that has transpired this off season either. You've claimed in several posts to multiple members that no one here allows you to express your opinions and you're very defensive when others counter yours. When you post responses like this that call other members opinions "bull", you are doing exactly what you claim is being done to you.

You obviously know something about hockey and the Canes but I think your posts would be better received here if you didn't assume every counter opinion to yours was a personal attack. Good rule of thumb for message board discussions is if you put your opinion out there in print, expect someone to respond and not always agree with it.

The troll name calling needs to stop but others have tried to reason with you.

Never said I could not express my opinion. The "bull" part is all the speculation how one is going to be better that the in the future, as I said we'll see. Finally I'm stating an opinion, agree or not is one thing, called a troll, penguin, whatever is not a proper response.

Never said I could not express my opinion. The "bull" part is all the speculation how one is going to be better that the in the future, as I said we'll see. Finally I'm stating an opinion, agree or not is one thing, called a troll, penguin, whatever is not a proper response.

And that's why it ends here ;) Feel free to carry on with the discussion.......

Time to get this thread back on topic.

Anyone know if J has come house hunting yet?

It will be nice to actually see and hear from J, when he finally makes an appearance in Raleigh. B)

It will be nice to actually see and hear from J, when he finally makes an appearance in Raleigh. B)

I dont really know too much about him, other than what we've all read and heard via the media so I'm looking forward to hearing directly from him too. I wonder if I'm sure JR will have a televised press conference introducing him.

I dont really know too much about him, other than what we've all read and heard via the media so I'm looking forward to hearing directly from him too. I wonder if I'm sure JR will have a televised press conference introducing him.

You will also see him making the rounds on the local and national (American and Canadian) sports talk shows. I assume he's still on his honeymoon.

You will also see him making the rounds on the local and national (American and Canadian) sports talk shows. I assume he's still on his honeymoon.

No doubt he'll get plenty of media exposure once he arrives but all those interviews sound scripted to me. Kind of like watching the scene from Bull Durham when Crash teaches Nuke how to handle the media :lol:

They'll be easy to find, wearing a Roethlisberger jersey and flinging a Terrible Towel.

I don't pay attention to that silly little sport. I am from Canada and am a walking stereotype in that all I watch is hockey. As some one who has seen 90% of Jordans career games I can tell you now, I am not being a troll. I know what he brings. The media hype is from people who only see him in like 10 games a year and scouts don't see players play that much either.

There is a reason I have been calling for him to be traded since he signed the 4 million a year deal. He has now lived up to it a total of one season.

He is either on his honeymoon or training and meeting with Garry Roberts.

Edited by soulcrusher

I don't pay attention to that silly little sport. I am from Canada and am a walking stereotype in that all I watch is hockey. As some one who has seen 90% of Jordans career games I can tell you now, I am not being a troll. I know what he brings. The media hype is from people who only see him in like 10 games a year and scouts don't see players play that much either.

Silly little sport? :o

Well if you're right and the Canes made a bad signing in JStaal, I'm really looking forward to watching this disaster of a player this season and for many seasons to come.

He is either on his honeymoon or training and meeting with Garry Roberts.

Nice, we know what training with Gary Roberts did for Jeff Skinner :thumbsup2:

Nice, we know what training with Gary Roberts did for Jeff Skinner :thumbsup2:

It did result in a career last year for him. It was really the first time he had taken part in real off season training. I think with the wedding it will be harder for him to have kept it up this summer and may dip back down in conditioning leading to a slow start.

It did result in a career last year for him. It was really the first time he had taken part in real off season training. I think with the wedding it will be harder for him to have kept it up this summer and may dip back down in conditioning leading to a slow start.

Then he'll fit right in here, the Canes are notorious for their slow starts :grin:

I did notice his skating was better than before, but I won't say I disagree with you in terms of his contract. Like I've already said, I'm a JStaal fan, but 6 million is quite a chunk of money...and for 10 years to. Seems like the contract was offered with the assumption that the cap will keep going up and up and up. I guess only time will tell if he can stay healthy and finally get consistent top 6 time if he's really worth that contract.

I did notice his skating was better than before, but I won't say I disagree with you in terms of his contract. Like I've already said, I'm a JStaal fan, but 6 million is quite a chunk of money...and for 10 years to. Seems like the contract was offered with the assumption that the cap will keep going up and up and up. I guess only time will tell if he can stay healthy and finally get consistent top 6 time if he's really worth that contract.

Shero thought he was....

Shero thought he was....

And that was without a guarantee for top 6 minutes, not as long as Sid and Malkin stayed healthy anyway.

I know. I was referring more to the Shero offer than the Rutherford contract.

Don't get me wrong I really REALLY want to see him do well and exceed my expectations, I was just taken by surprise that Shero offered him such a big contract (again, since with Malkin and Sid there he'd still essentially be a 6 million dollar 3rd liner). I understand more why Rutherford would have offered that kind of money as he is pretty much guaranteed the 2nd line centre spot at least.

PS, I also want to say that I was impressed that Jordan turned down the Penguins deal. I thought it showed that it certainly wasn't just about money to him. Showed that he wanted to play, and have the opportunity to show that he has more to offer.

Edited by Vanucks91

There were only two certainties going into the off season. We couldn't go into the 2012/13 season with the same roster we had and we needed a top 6 forward. When the J. Staal episode began to unfold Rutherford had to make the move. He improved our top six, sent a message the team was serious about changing and gave us insurance E. Staal had a reason to stay and play in Raleigh. The way money is being thrown around J. Staal looks like a bargain or at least a fair price.

In the end the Pens may have done as well or better than us with the trade. But we needed the now and not the future. If we hadn't grabbed Staal he might not of been available next year. If we hadn't grabbed Staal would we have been able to land Parise, Suter, Nash. I don't think so.

A lot of how we do with J. Staal is still going to depend on the other pieces JR can add. But even without the other pieces we have a better chance to make the playoffs with J. Staal.

Losing Sutter will hurt and I will probable be one of the ones moaning if we only could have kept Sutter. Yet J. Staal makes us a better team.

There are a few things obscuring how good J. Staal is and can be.

They've been listed here. Third line, checking role, not top notch wingers, etc.

Those things all point to Staal possibly breaking out in a new role with quality wingers.

BUT what also hides JStaal's production is his last two years shortened by injury.

Forget all the theoretical reasons why JStaal will likely break out this year, I'll take his productivity level per game even if he doesn't benefit from more ice time, better wingers, and a scoring role.

Last two years regular season 104 games, 80 points. .77 points per game.

That would have been second best on our team last year after Eric.

Some notable 2012 ppg:

Skinner .68 (our number two guy last year)

Jussi .58

E.Cole .74

Correy Perry .75

M.Lucic .75

Evander Kane .77

Kris Versteeg .76

V.Lacavlier .77

T Vanek .78

D. Alfredson .79

If we project even a slight improvement playing scoring minutes on a better line?

And the guy is 23.

We won't know until we see, but smart money is on Jordan being worth every penny. Smart money.

And the guy is 23.

We won't know until we see, but smart money is on Jordan being worth every penny. Smart money.

It may be too early to make any real predictions about Jordan as a Cane, but I'm on the "Smart Money" train with remkin. J.Staal is going to be a huge part of this team moving forward. Jordan puts up top 6 numbers in a defensive, checking line role. He would have gotten Parise/Suter money as a UFA next year, especially if he put up the same points or more. I think this will eventually be considered one of the best deals in the history of our team. Again, this is just my opinion.