The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
PenaltyKiller17

**The Brandon Sutter Appreciation thread**

This thread is a very sad discussion. I became a die hard caniac right as the 08-09 season started. And as I was learning all the players, my sister and I took an immediate liking to Sutter. We don't really know why at first because he was a healthy scratch off and on, and he didn't have the most impressive numbers that season (I think without looking at stats he had 2 goals). He became our underdog story where we'd yell out his name during shifts, and people would look at us like we were crazy. And after that season he got progressively better. The point i'm trying to make is I watch all 4 major sports, and i've never seen a guy work so hard from being a struggling prospect to a two-way player as Sutter has. He had to earn his reputation and the love we fans have for him. I strongly dislike the Penguins, but there's no way I could cheer against him. You are the only Hurricane i've had an emotional attached to, and I thank you for giving us everything you had.

I was really sad to see him go, but it is what it is.

Brandon exuded the qualities we all love to see in a Hurricanes player...he was humble, worked his $$$ off each and every game, and he showed a passion for the game.

I hope to see him wearing our jersey again one day.

Brandon was (and is) the consummate professional. He did what he was asked, and gave it 110% and became one heck of a shut down defensive center, despite his offensive upside. He did what was best for the team over any glory or personal gain of his own and he did it quietly and respectfully.

Best of luck to you in Pittsburgh, Brandon, and we certainly hope to see you back in Carolina! You know this revolving door is always open! Thank you for your hard work and dedication to the organization and a true class act!

Oh my God, I was really shocked when learned that! Brandon is one of my favorite players, it is so sad to let him go... I can't believe it!

For sure, the Penguins team is a good place for Brandon to develop his skills, and now we have a reason to cheer for Pittsburgh.

I wish nothing but the best for Brandon Sutter, a class act on and off the ice.

I believe he showed the capability to be a second line center last season, but I am sure he will be more than happy to be on a very good Penguins team as a third liner.

It's been my impression over the course of all the J. Staal speculation that most Pens fans don't know a lot about Brandon Sutter. Are they in for a pleasant surprise.

It's tough, real tough to realize he won't be back. But, I hope he does well and I will be following his career in Pittsburgh.

Go Brandon!

Suttsy was my favorite Cane as well. I'm unbearably sad he is gone. Pittsburgh really milked us on this deal, but that discussion doesn't belong here. I want to see him become a huge asset for the Pens and in a few years, we'll buy him back.

Oh Alternate Captain my Captain!

The real deal Penalty Killin' Breakaway scorin' Speed skatin' Shot blockin' Snipe Shootin' forward

Man, this one stung.

Overall, I was happy about the J. Staal trade, but losing Sutter left a sour taste in my mouth.

He instantly became one of my favorite 'Canes when he started playing and hasn't stopped growing on me since. He had one of the best, if not the best, work ethics on the team and never once seemed to take the night off. The only thing worse than him leaving is him leaving for Pittsburgh.

I have no doubt that he will develop into a solid 2nd line center and one of the premier two-way centers in the league. After all, he's been learning from one of the best in Rod Brind'Amour. I usually disagree with giving young guys leadership roles on the team, but he earned that "A" on his shoulder and never stopped earning it.

Best of luck in your career, Brandon. I'll be rooting against your new team with all my heart, but I hope you do well.

I just wanted to say thank you for your time here in Carolina, you were one of my favorites here, I hope that you have great success in Pittsburgh personally (I can't wish too much luck on another team now!). Who knows, with any luck we can look forward to seeing you again as a Hurricane sometime down the road.

-Brian

Now that the shock of you being traded has worn off enough to let you know how much I have appreciated you during your stay with the Cane's organization. You were one player that I knew would give 100% everytime you were on the ice. I have watched your performance every year and seen you responsibilities grow to the point you were selected as a co-captain of the team.

I wish you nothing but the best moving forward with the Penguins. I know you will be a valuable asset and you will be embraced by their fans just like you have been with us.

You are "first class" both on and off the ice.

Brandon,

First off Thank You-for giving Carolina and the Caniac Nation everything you had each and every night...The Canes definetly have a huge hole to fill not only in the lineup but also in the community :cry: Have to say the "business side" of Hockey sucks!Miss you already...

Good luck to you in Pittsburgh-they're getting a CLASS ACT! and ONE HELLAVA HOCKEY PLAYER!

I only :pray: you don't "kill" us when you come to town...

See you in the fall-I'll be 1 of the thousands standing for you when you take the ice!

Once a Cane always a Cane...

Penny

Thank you Brandon for your years of hard work and devotion to this organization. Despite your offensive upside the way you handled the third line defensive duties was exemplary. I have no doubt your offensive numbers will grow every year as you really showed your skill on short-handed breakaways this year. Can't wait to see you back in town and give you the standing ovation of appreciation you deserve. Wish it was sooner than Feb. 18th.

Brandon, "all out, all the time" Sutter. When i got ur auto graph 2 years ago, Jeff Skinner was with u, i know u helped him a lot his rookie year... I said to you, how about "lady bing trophy" one of these years, and u said , oh, not sure about that, but i see that happening, but sadly, not in a canes uniform.. all the best..

Brandon was one of our own----one that we drafted. We have watched him grow and develop and

knew he would bring it every night---100%. In my view we took a huge loss on that trade. Never will

convince me otherwise---because we lost Brandon! Who can forget, with his great speed, breaking away

to race down the ice and sink that goal ? How many times did we see him do that ?

I detest the Pens. But the upside for Brandon is that he will likely see the playoffs more often and go farther in

in them----than he would here---(given our history over the last six years.) I wish him well and only the best

for his career. I will be following his career on CI and I expect him to excell. Say what you will about the Staals.

The Sutters have their own hockey pedigree!

I don't expect to see him in a Canes jersey again, regrettably. Will miss you #16 ! Thank you for your time

here and the enjoyment you gave us all !

Edited by UNCCaniac8

Thanks for all you brought to our community, both on and off the ice. Your trade was a stunning surprise to us, and you'll be missed. We wish you the best as you head to Pittsburgh.

Thanks for your exciting and gritty play.

Thanks for being classy.

Thank for being dependable.

Thanks for being a great team guy.

Thanks for being a great member of the community.

Like others here, you were one of my favorite Hurricanes from beginning. Your hockey skills, work ethic, professionalism, and commitment to the team and the community endeared you to everyone here in Raleigh and fans of the Hurricanes. Thanks for everything Brandon! It is hard to say goodbye, but easy to wish you the best of luck. I know you will make your mark in Pittsburgh - but you will always be a Hurricane to me.

Thanks Brandon, you were loved and appreciated! Good luck up in Pittsburgh, you'll probably get a cup with them in the next few years. Not this year or next year though, one of them is gonna be our year to watch the bros raise the cup together.

Not sure if enough appreciation can be put in words as to what Brandon did for the Canes, as a player and the organization.I myself think he was held back on the offensive side of the puck and I wouldn't doubt if he really breaks out with the Pens. Good luck to Brandon & I hope this doesn't bite the Canes on the back of their pants down the road!!

Off the ice, I shared a moment with Brandon and Rod Brind'Amour at a Season Ticket Holder party. It's something I'll never forget - he is a great person as well as a fantastic athlete and I really can't say enough how much I will miss him. He's one ex-Cane I really hope comes back to us either as a player or in the front office - having him in the organization makes it better.

I wish Brandon Sutter the best of luck, and I wont get too mad if he gets a puck behind Wardo once in a while... but just because it's you Sutter, don't make a habit of it.

We all have favorite players and Sutter is one of mine. It is flattering that the Pens wouldn't make the deal unless Sutter was included in the trade. I'm with those who hope Sutter returns to Raleigh and pulls on the Canes sweater again.

Good Luck and show them in Pittsburgh just why you were a fan favorite in Raleigh.

if one day brandon becomes a ufa , he should know he is always welcomed to come home and play with us . it hurt so bad to see him part of that trade and i literally balled out tears , but i know its not forever , corvo went away from us for 2 years an that stung , perhaps brandon might come back home to us after his time in pittsburgh is up

brandon sutter you are one of the best !!!!

I was at the draft party when this happened. It was like a roller coaster ride. The first shoe dropped that we had traded for J. Staal and the crowd went absolutely crazy - it was like we had scored a game winning goal against Buffalo in Game 7 of the Conference Finals. THEN, the other shoe dropped and they announced that we had traded Brandon to get Jordan - you could have heard a pin drop. More than a couple of people had tears in their eyes when it sunk in.

Brandon, what I appreciated the most about you was that you put your personal stats on hold to perform the job which was asked of you. I have no doubt in my mind that you could score 30 goals, but you were asked to prevent the other teams best from scoring, and you were excellent at it. I cannot tell you how many times, when we were on the PK, that I would be able to relax as soon as you hit the ice. I KNEW that they were not going to score while you were out there.

From the bottom of my heart, thank you for what you did for this team and I hope you do not sign any extensions there so you can come back home soon.

Edited by Category5

Watching the draft, when the rumbling started, I knew right away they had traded for Staal. And then before they can announce it, McGuire pipes up with "any trade for Staal has to include Sutter". My heart sunk on that one. He was a favorite in this house. Have a nice pic of him with my son from the Skate with the Canes his rookie year. He's come a long way. :) He'll be missed.