The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Law-Dawg

Joslin placed on unconditional waivers - Per Chip

Joslin just put on waivers per Chip A.

http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/nhl/canes/

Funny on how scouting was so high on Joslin when he arrived. He looked OK when I watched him play and we are in desperate need of some grit on the D. If this team believes that we can suit up McBain,Faulk and Murphy on a regular basis this year they are living in a dream world. Those guys will get killed along with our smallish forwards who will have to pick up for them. Gleason will get injured due to having to fight much more than he should and Cam Ward will demand a trade or get placed on the IR due to exhaustion after facing fifty shots per game.

So, I assume we are buying Joslin out. Not surprising, and I never saw what the Canes did when they acquired him.

Edit: Maybe Hump the Goalie is next, he should have been first. Gotta make room for that tough guy.

Edited by coastal_caniac

I sm thinking Murhpy will be a 7th Dman type. Let him get used to the game. Play in situations where we are down a goal late in the game or need an O spark. Also, play in PP situations.

Chip said the intention is to buy out Joslin. Looks like we are starting to make some room.

The Canes have placed Derek Joslin on unconditional waivers with the purpose of buying out his contract, general manager Jim Rutherford confirmed today.

Joslin, 25, was due to be paid $750,000 next season in the second year of a two-year, one-way contract signed last July.

Joslin was traded to the Canes by the San Jose Sharks on Feb. 18, 2011. A defenseman, the Richmond Hill, Ont., native was shifted to forward by Canes coach Kirk Muller in mid-February and used on the fourth line.

In 44 games last season, Joslin had two goals and two assists, with 35 penalty minutes.

Read more here: http://blogs.newsobserver.com/canes/joslin-placed-on-unconditional-waivers#storylink=cpy

There wasn't room on the D-corps for Joslin and he isn't a "forward" if Muller is going to run 4 lines. For whatever reason, I see him trying to use the 4th line as a shutdown line and that is going to require a different type of player. Joslin had a little sandpaper in his game, but not the skill at forward. We need some rough sandpaper with skill. That player is yet to be signed and maybe tomorrow will be the day.

I hope Joslin lands on his feet.

Fine with me...use the $ on a guy with better production.

Or better yet, someone with some size and toughness who's willing to stand up for his team mates.

I think its fair to say, the Canes nation wishes Joslin all the best. I certainly do!

icon_applause2.gif

I agree. He always gave his best. I hope he lands on his feet.

I agree. He always gave his best. I hope he lands on his feet.

Ditto, hope he gets his chance somewhere to shine.

This is probably the best for both parties. He wasn't going to have a place on the blueline next year. I hope another team takes a chance on him, because he definitely played hard.

Yeah nothing against him, good luck to him, but he was a spare part here. Better options for that coming along.

I sm thinking Murhpy will be a 7th Dman type. Let him get used to the game. Play in situations where we are down a goal late in the game or need an O spark. Also, play in PP situations.

This is an interesting idea actually. As the 7th guy he can be inserted into situations as his game warrants and get NHL experience without having to hold down a top 6 spot. Gotta be better for him than playing in juniors again. Lets the fans see some of that offensive dynamo here and there. If he defensive game is better than advertised he can play more minutes in more situations.

There is no doubt that we need a more defensive defense. And Murphy is not that. This lets him make the team without the team worrying as much about that.

Edited by remkin

Yeah that whole 7th dman thing with Joslin worked great last year, let's do that with Murphy. :sarcasmalert:

Barring an injury, I would hope for a trade if they decide to keep Murphy around. Platoons work in baseball, just doesn't seem like a great idea here.

7th D man guy is the way to go with Murphy. He is too small and our D is way to O oriented right now to make Murphy a regular. We would have to have 2 number 1 goalies with a D that looks like Pits, Gleason, Corvo, McBain, Murphy, and Faulk. Goalies would face so many shots they would have to do one game on, one game off. Thats just me though

He was bought out, that has to happen I think within 48 or 72 hours of clearing waivers. He's not listed on the roster anymore.

If that is the case good for him. He is a hard working player and deserved to get a shot with another team.

So with Edler, Hamhuis, Bieksa, Ballard, Tanev, Garrison and Alberts already in Vancouver, what are the chances this guy actually gets to play with the Canucks? AHL callup? Judging by the reaction from this thread it doesn't seem like you guys are surprised he was bought out.