The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
one-timer

Joe Corvo Re-Signed

Joe Corvo returns from Boston. Guess nobody learned from the last time we had a D-man return from Boston! Any side bets as to what game # this season that the message boards light up with the Too old, Too slow, Why did we get him back moaning begins?

Joe Corvo returns from Boston. Guess nobody learned from the last time we had a D-man return from Boston! Any side bets as to what game # this season that the message boards light up with the Too old, Too slow, Why did we get him back moaning begins?

You're late to the party, I believe some of those comments came in around 1pm ;)

Sorry was on the road. Probably should have checked with you before posting my thoughts.

Not a problem, good you weren't checking the internet while driving.

Are you freaking kidding me?!! What is this? Have we not learned our lesson recycling?

I went back and saw this post. Sorry I was so bold as to think I had any thing else to add to the discussion. Sorry to bluedevil158 I didn't realize you had totally covered the situation.

Edited by winger52

Now that my gasket has been replaced, I'll just look at the Corvo signing as a one-year stop-gap to keep Murphy's spot warm while he learns the NHL game.

It does make a lot of sense in this case and Joe is a righty which the team needs. Joslin was waived and Corvo is an upgrade on that.

I do have to admit, when I first heard the news of Corvo's return, I did have an outbreak of Tourette's Syndrome. Not exactly the Suter or Carle that I had in mind for the D.

Corvo has always been a quiet, but hard-working Cane. At the moment, my concern is not with him, but the fact that after letting Allen walk, I'm not sure the defense is appreciably better with this:

Gleason-Corvo

Pitkanen-Faulk

Harrison-McBain

Sangs

Murphy

Things could change, but I'm concerned.

I think TSA has the jist. I doubt JR would have re-signed Corvo if there wasn't a bigger picture. Even if it doesn't come out like we hope, its only a one year deal.

So far JR has fixed potential holes in the first day of free agency. Lets see if he pulls the trigger once again! Keeping fingers crossed for Nash.

Corvo has always been a quiet, but hard-working Cane. At the moment, my concern is not with him, but the fact that after letting Allen walk, I'm not sure the defense is appreciably better with this:

Gleason-Corvo

Pitkanen-Faulk

Harrison-McBain

Sangs

Murphy

Does this look better to you?:

Gleason-Corvo

Carle-Faulk

Harrison-McBain

Let's really break this down.

Positives

- We all knew we needed a top 4 d-man. That's what Corvo is.

- It's a one year deal, so if it's a flop like Kaberle, not that big of a deal like Kaberle was.

- It's a much better deal than Bryan Allen. 2 Million compared to 3.5 million. That additional 1.5 million can be used towards a good winger. Instead of a 1.5 million towards one, we theoretically have 3 million now.

- He's great on the power play, which is clearly an issue for us.

Negatives

- He wasn't good in Boston

- He has had some attitude problems in the past and it seems the only player he got along with was Cole.

- He's a bit older

Overall, I think this is a good signing. Not a "holy crap yes!" signing but solid. I think JR knew he has no chance at Suter and needed a d-men. This wasn't a good year for d-men in free agency and got what he could. Considering this deal compared to the allen deal, this is solid signing. If you take out what Allen got, it's just blah. But with that factored in (and you certianly have to), it's good.

Does this look better to you?:

Gleason-Corvo

Carle-Faulk

Harrison-McBain

No. Do these defensive pairings look better to you, honestly, than the pairings we iced last year, and when all was said and done, we finished 25th in the league in total team defensive rankings?

No. Do these defensive pairings look better to you, honestly, than the pairings we iced last year, and when all was said and done, we finished 25th in the league in total team defensive rankings?

No. I think you're right. However, we have to remember Faulk will have a year under his belt. Other than that.. Yeah, let's hope we get Suter.

Faulk is the last guy who needs to carry the load right now. Pitkanen, that's his job, and why we signed him. Along with Gleason, those are the two players who this team will depend on to play the minutes, in their off-pairings.

Corvo can help play the minutes, he's a stud, but he doesn't add what we need to climb out of 25th, and Allen couldn't either.

So 3 out of the past 4 years we've signed a Boston defender. 2 for 2 on it blowing up in our faces, 2 out of 3 are recycles and 2 are players being totally run out of Boston with pitchforks.

This should certaintly bode well. I hope we have other changes coming because an offensive defensemen does nothing for getting our GAA down. Expecially an offensive defensemen who couldn't score points on a really good team.

Oh and the kicker, he wanted out 365 days ago. What the....? Nothing's changed on our end other then the coach but the roster's almost the same and his best friend is still gone. Is he gonna quit on us midseason if he doesn't like things here?

This move gives me a headache, yea great he's an economy defensemen I hope folks expect economy results.

Everyone always liked this guy but the truth is, before he left, he was way more of a liability than Pitkanen...

One thing they have in common is being untried in Muller's system. Joni barely returned from injury for a short time late last year, but IMO it wasn't good enough for evaluation (post-concussion).

I think they're both skilled players and were less effective with Mo's dump-and-chase.

Edited by Manwolf

I'm trying to get used to this. In another post I said "Allen > Corvo" (read it like a math equation). I still believe that, and you know what, the pay they both got agrees.

However, I'm warming up to the idea. "Hat Trick" Joe played some of his best game here. He likes it here. This is "his old shoe" after all. I believe all that (although I like the glove analogy better). I'm a Chicago boy, as is Joe, so I have to stick up for him a little. We Chitown boys like it here, that's true.

Joe seems pretty affected by his environment, and this environment fits him. He needs comfort for some reason. The dude is a different kind of guy, and perhaps that figured into his ramblings last summer which resulted in the trade. But JR was kind, apparently no hard feelings amongst those two, so I'll take it as a sign that this can work.

Hey, it is 1 year. Let's see what happens. But JR cannot be done, and he cannot make another move like this.

I hope so. But regardless of that, we are stocked with offensive d men. We needed a stay at home guy. This was not the answer.

Suter will be a miracle. So let's go for somebody like Carle or Rozsival or Colaiacovo.

Personally I believe that Allen is a better fit for what this team needs than Corvo as he is a more stay at home defensemen. Assuming Murphy is on the team, that's 5 of our 6 dmen that are considered offensive minded. That's nuts.

But is Allen 1.5 million dollars better than Corvo? No way.

This should certaintly bode well. I hope we have other changes coming because an offensive defensemen does nothing for getting our GAA down. Expecially an offensive defensemen who couldn't score points on a really good team.

This move gives me a headache, yea great he's an economy defensemen I hope folks expect economy results.

This. I have to hold out hope that TSA is right and JR is stocking up on dmen with the aim of moving one and then resetting the defense.

Last year this team allowed 32.4 shots per game. The only team that allowed more was.....no team. We were dead last.

I'm not saying you can't win some allowing a lot of shots, especially if they are low quality shots, but there is a very definite trend towards the best teams being on the top of that list, not the bottom.

Top 7: St. Louis, NJ, Detroit, Pittsburgh, Los Angeles, NY Rangers, Philly.

We just lost our best defensive checking center and our best shot blocking (and better defending) defenseman. Yes J.Staal can get back, but we have to at least improve the defensive part of our defense. Just not sure Corvo for Allen is that move.

Hope there is more to come visa vie the blue liners.

^^^ this, plus

...Lets hope there's more coming...

Gleason-Corvo

Pitkanen-Faulk

Harrison-McBain

Sangs

Murphy

For 2 or 3 years now this defense has been terrible, and Corvo was here for 2 of those years. I like the guy and what he brings, but he is not an improvement over Allen, who had leadership, physical presence, shot-blocking, and stuck up for teammates. You get none of that from Corvo. This is economical and short term, but like Legend said economy player, economy result. The only way this makes sense is if additional moves are made.

So far what I am seeing is the same old typical JR stuff, with the exception of the Staal signing, and that was basically handed to him. Gotta do better than this...

Edited by JLP

So far what I am seeing is the same old typical JR stuff, with the exception of the Staal signing, and that was basically handed to him. Gotta do better than this...

I'm with you a 100%. Going after top UFA's and thinking you can get them without some sort of signing bonus. JR really faked us out this year. He knew he wouldn't be a contender but he went through the motions for the fans! Ahhhhh!