The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
one-timer

Joe Corvo Re-Signed

It's July 3rd guys we can throw JR to the wolves when the season actually starts lol. Back away from the ledge!

Maybe he's got more coming, until the season starts I don't think it's fair to kick his sandcastle over just yet.

I don't like the Corvo signing but maybe theres more to it.

It's July 3rd guys we can throw JR to the wolves when the season actually starts lol. Back away from the ledge!

Maybe he's got more coming, until the season starts I don't think it's fair to kick his sandcastle over just yet.

I don't like the Corvo signing but maybe theres more to it.

In today's N&O, JR says he's done with the defense and he likes the balance it has. Guess Suter was the only shot to improve our D. Corvo was apparently the piece the Canes were missing according to JR, Muller & Lewis. Also, this must mean that no defensemen are part of a Nash deal.

The only thing I can say about this is that Joe was our Ovenchicken shutdown plan. For some reason he frustrates the #$@% out of him.

I think this was a factor.

Losing all those blocked shots from Allen is not going to improve our last place shot blocking.

In today's N&O, JR says he's done with the defense and he likes the balance it has. Guess Suter was the only shot to improve our D. Corvo was apparently the piece the Canes were missing according to JR, Muller & Lewis. Also, this must mean that no defensemen are part of a Nash deal.

Unless this is posturing the plan must be run and gun. In that case we better get one more winger.

I was kind of being sarcasting but maybe not quite enough for this :sarcasmalert: .

I agree though, the best teams play defense.

Thus I must conclude that JR is either posturing, or thinks Muller and company can teach this group. He must be posturing, and yet I can't help but think that on the defensive side we are seeing old recycle and castoff value and hope for the best JR.

Hope it's just posturing yet, somehow I would not be shocked if he does stand pat on d.

Hope not though.

JR may be posturing, but if not, he's crazy. We've heard this before, and it has always lead to bitter, bitter disappointment.

I'm about ready to just go away for a while and someone can wake me up when this "posturing" garbage is over. Yes, I'm now getting mad. :censored:

I'm with you. As soon as Joe Corvo showed up in my news feed I started shaking my head. Anyone who thinks this is a great move and is excited about getting him back should think twice. You think Cam saw a lot of shots last year? Just you wait... I can see it now. Getting the puck out of our zone and open point blank slot shots are going to give me night mares.

JR may be posturing, but if not, he's crazy. We've heard this before, and it has always lead to bitter, bitter disappointment.

I'm about ready to just go away for a while and someone can wake me up when this "posturing" garbage is over. Yes, I'm now getting mad. :censored:

I vote for crazy. What or who in the world would he be posturing for, Peter Karmanos??

I'm with you. As soon as Joe Corvo showed up in my news feed I started shaking my head. Anyone who thinks this is a great move and is excited about getting him back should think twice. You think Cam saw a lot of shots last year? Just you wait... I can see it now. Getting the puck out of our zone and open point blank slot shots are going to give me night mares.

I'm not shaking my head like I did when I heard we signed TKabs but I must admit I had a what are we thinking moment. I just hope a happy Joe Corvo plays like he wants to stay in Carolina for a while. Maybe Corvo was unhappy with the MO style game and the Muller system will be more to his liking. The press says Gleason and Corvo play well together. Faulk should be as good or better then last year. Harrison is steady and McBain should be ready to step up his game.Joni is a ?. I don't know but it is what it is.

I don't know but it is what it is.

Not sure if you consciously used this phrase... But it is the phrase all atheletes have been using for about the last 5 years or so when something bad happens and there's not much that can be done about it.

Something bad happened. JR may not be able to do anything about it. So yeah, it it what it is. Our defense is still in trouble and likely will be in the bottom half. Can't see how adding Joe will vault us from 30 to top 15.

Not sure if you consciously used this phrase... But it is the phrase all atheletes have been using for about the last 5 years or so when something bad happens and there's not much that can be done about it.

Something bad happened. JR may not be able to do anything about it. So yeah, it it what it is. Our defense is still in trouble and likely will be in the bottom half. Can't see how adding Joe will vault us from 30 to top 15.

Haha..didn't use it consciously. I have been using it for years and usually when I am uncertain of an outcome. When something is done that IMO will have uncertain results you have to make the best of it and try to make it work. I'll be the first one to admit the outcome isn't always the best but once in a while you get surprised.

Legend, you're right, if JR can pull off Kabs for Spacek almost anything is possible. But when he said he was happy with his D, and seeing what has been put out there the last 2-3 years, I am not greatly encouraged at this point. Where it is right now is the same as where it left off, which was better than the start of the season, but still inadequate. And Allen > Corvo. So...

Legend, you're right, if JR can pull off Kabs for Spacek almost anything is possible. But when he said he was happy with his D, and seeing what has been put out there the last 2-3 years, I am not greatly encouraged at this point. Where it is right now is the same as where it left off, which was better than the start of the season, but still inadequate. And Allen > Corvo. So...

If Dave Lewis had any hair, he'd be pulling it out now!

im happy about joe corvo coming back to the canes , i thought he was a great when we had him and was sad when we lost him couple years back . joni on the other hand i would not mind getting rid of him for bobby ryan or at least try to wheel in a deal with him to pick up rick nash for us . imagine that

im happy about joe corvo coming back to the canes , i thought he was a great when we had him and was sad when we lost him couple years back . joni on the other hand i would not mind getting rid of him for bobby ryan or at least try to wheel in a deal with him to pick up rick nash for us . imagine that

Funny I was just posting something similar on the other thread. IF we can add that top line winger, our current defense will get us by. (ie Corvo is brought in to use Pits in a deal for that guy). We can always add a rental or trade deadline move on the back end for the playoffs.

This team with Nash, Ryan, heck even Semin added to the top 6 can outscore enough teams to make the playoffs, even with the defense as it stands. Plus, even if we don't play great defense we should get some serious point production from the blueline.

Edited by remkin

With Corvo back I am glad that he has experience in the playoffs with Washington and Boston making it to the finals now with them since being with us. I think he will be better for us now. It will be good to see him on the Power play and shoot from the blue line and wont be a puck hogger going around the net and back to the blue line again like Joni Pitkanen does lol.

With Corvo back I am glad that he has experience in the playoffs with Washington and Boston making it to the finals now with them since being with us. I think he will be better for us now. It will be good to see him on the Power play and shoot from the blue line and wont be a puck hogger going around the net and back to the blue line again like Joni Pitkanen does lol.

i get the feeling joni would be awesome if he played on the wing but you know as well as me thats not going to happen anytime soon lol . but ya never know .

I dont' love this signing, but I like the signing. Corvo played his best hockey with Carolina. He and Gleason work well together. We struck out on our top target and to be honest there is a BIG drop between Suter and everyone else in this year's FA class. Corvo was a good fit for us. The problem now is that our top pairing is going to be Pitkanen and Faulk. Don't know how much I like that one. If Faulk takes a big step forward again this year, it could work out fine. However, we are a little small on the back end now.

Looking at the bright side, we can run Pits/Faulk and Corvo/McBain for our 2 PP units. That some firepower on the blue line.

...Corvo played his best hockey with Carolina. He and Gleason work well together.

I think JR is counting on this. There was a while where Gleason/Corvo was our shutdown tandem. Corvo is slick with the puck and fairly fast, and Gleason is rough and positionally sound, and the effect has been greater than the sum of the parts type of thing.

I really also get the feeling that JR is committed to doing everything he can to get that top winger this year, and needs bodies if he might move a dman the other way.

Also, a defensive defenseman might be an easier pick up off of a team trying to make the cap if he moves a dman in a package deal for a winger.

All in all if we can patch together an average defense and have serious firepower up front, we'll be ok.

Ironically if we added a winger and got by with a suboptimal defense, the trade deadline move could be for a solid dman for the playoffs.

I watched Corvo in Boston and he was putrid. I hope he is better than here (I live in the Boston area)

I just hope for a steady season and do not expect too much out of him. Just not too many giveaways and pinch ins Joe. Good luck and Go Canes.

Even though hes starting the season with Gleason I have a feeling he'll be beat down to the 6th or 7th d by mid season due to the young D we have and his decline in play over the past year

Joe has always played his best hockey as a Cane. I personally will be glad to watch him for another year.

JR stated he wanted a right shot D man who could move the puck out of our zone.. This is for one year. Joe

answers that need.

We now have 3 right shot D's (Faulk, Corvo, and Mcbain) So it looks like, for the short term JR has

what he wants. Neither Joe or Pits (b/c of injury last year) have played under Mullers system and I think

both are suited to to that style of play. I look forward to seeing what Muller can do with both of them.

Before we jump off the ledge about the D----(goals against, Cam seeing a lot of rubber, etc--) maybe we should

let this all play out and see what happens. The signing of Marc-Andre G. on a two-way gives us some added

depth at D in case of future trades. So I think all is cool right now.

Who's jumping off the ledge about the D? Of course, if your talking about the D that finished in the bottom 5 in the league each of the last 3 years defense, that's a whole different story...... :o