The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
one-timer

Joe Corvo Re-Signed

Who's jumping off the ledge about the D? Of course, if your talking about the D that finished in the bottom 5 in the league each of the last 3 years defense, that's a whole different story...... :o

And we missed the playoffs---that we could have made last year if we had won only 1/2 of the OT losses we had. Needed

some more points on the board-----and having a shot blocker like Allen last year who had the grit on D didn't help us either.

All I was suggesting is we armchair coaches & GM's don't have the ability to see " the big plan" yet. I mean--I am not at all

convinced our forwards are all that we need. Got a great 2nd line (Or maybe 1st) center but lost a great 3rd line one. Still

have holes and we will have to see what plays out at both ends---and with the backup netminder, for that matter.

We are still a work in progress. But I don't think signing Joe will hurt us.

We've got swiss cheese for holes in this lineup just like last year. I would be happy if we even addressed one of the holes. Top 6 winger, 3rd line center, real top 4 defenseman.

All I was suggesting is we armchair coaches & GM's don't have the ability to see " the big plan" yet.

I sit in a seat in the RBC for about 27-30 games a year. I have for a while. I may not see the big picture but I know a *edit* defense when I see one. We have a *edit* defense.

I sit in a seat in the RBC for about 27-30 games a year. I have for a while. I may not see the big picture but I know a *edit* defense when I see one. We have a *edit* defense.

I also sit at those same # of games. We do have swiss cheese holes. On the defense----Pits missed a great part of last season.

Allen is no longer here. Corvo is back------so the defense is already (for better or worse) different than last year. ( But we also

have the same defensive coach--how much does this figure in ?). My hope is that Muller is a master at best using the talent

he has, and has a plan to do so.

And I am not sure JR is done making moves yet. I just think our most pressing needs are at forward right now

to play Muller's style of play. But I could be wrong.

Agreed. We either need to have an offense capable of tilting the ice the majority of the game which will keep us from having to play defense, OR we better make some improvements fast.

Gleason, Allen, Spacek were responsible blue-liners. Of that group we only have Gleason now. For those critical of how short Spacek played it was nice to have him for certain situations. Even that is gone now.

Dalpe is our future 3rd center, just not sure its this year. We are in dire need of a winger thats a sniper (Boychuk and Bowman are proving to be more junk goal scorers) and a shut down blue-liner. If we pull out a trade I wouldnt be surprised to see Boychuk in it, because I think his percieved value is higher than what he is proving to show us. Bowman I'd rather keep because he's got some jump in his step and still may pan out.

We've got swiss cheese for holes in this lineup just like last year. I would be happy if we even addressed one of the holes. Top 6 winger, 3rd line center, real top 4 defenseman.

Bringing back a guy for a 3rd time around is a lack of creativity whether this is his last year or not.

Or....a lack of better options for a veteran player at one year who knows the organization quite well.

Or....a lack of better options for a veteran player at one year who knows the organization quite well.

Ok, if he was so great why did you let him go...twice before? You are familiar with the definition of insanity, right?

Isn't it wonderful to have new people stop by to tell us how hopeless the team is?

Corvo is a place holder for this season until one of the youngsters is ready for prime time. Corvo had his moments, but did play his best hockey with the Canes. I'll admit that I blew a gasket when I first heard that he was signed, but it makes some kind of sense. If JR was trying to sign a guy for a season to buy some time, at least he knew how Corvo fit in the locker room and knew his performance. If Murphy is ready for prime time this year, then JR has some trade chips to use later in the year with the other D-men.

Ok, if he was so great why did you let him go...twice before? You are familiar with the definition of insanity, right?

The definition of insanity to me is when an opposing fan comes here just to take shots at Canes, the fans and the organization. If you came here talk hockey you're welcome to stay but if you came here to stir up trouble, your stay will be a short one.

Thanks.

The definition of insanity to me is when an opposing fan comes here just to take shots at Canes, the fans and the organization. If you came here talk hockey you're welcome to stay but if you came here to stir up trouble, your stay will be a short one.

Thanks.

I just see a fan trying to convince himself the canes did nothing of importance. It's cool. I take it as a good sign people come to our board trash talking, it just means we're worth trash talking.

He does bring up a valid point about corvo. We've had so many chances to have a solid D, but we let go guys like Alberts, Ian White, Allen, Spacek, Seidenberg. In my opinion, i'd take any one of those guys over joni or corvo. It really boggles my mind thinking about the bad decisions this team has made in that regard. I know JR takes in the fact we haven't had a great offence, but it's the defense that's been killing us since the last playoff appearance.

I just see a fan trying to convince himself the canes did nothing of importance. It's cool. I take it as a good sign people come to our board trash talking, it just means we're worth trash talking.

He does bring up a valid point about corvo. We've had so many chances to have a solid D, but we let go guys like Alberts, Ian White, Allen, Spacek, Seidenberg. In my opinion, i'd take any one of those guys over joni or corvo. It really boggles my mind thinking about the bad decisions this team has made in that regard. I know JR takes in the fact we haven't had a great offence, but it's the defense that's been killing us since the last playoff appearance.

JR does have a sort of facination with offensive d-men. I don't see how we couldn't have offered a similar contract for Allen unless he simply didn't want to be here, I might be wrong though. Just a thought. Or maybe it was a budget issue since they thought they had a chance at the Suter/Pairse derby and Allen didn't want to wait for that, understandably, and Corvo was one of the few available. I would like to see and say that Murphy is ready for the big league, but if he wasn't our options would be much worse. And who knows what is and isn't available via trade for D-men. I haven't heard much in that department.

I have a feeling the Canes defense situation will work itself out if need be. One things for sure, if you play too much defensive hockey, all you're really doing is giving the opposing teams more offensive chances. If changes need to be made, I feel confident JR will make it happen. Before regular season? Maybe or maybe not..but a lot could happen between now and then. Welcome home Corvo!

Isn't it wonderful to have new people stop by to tell us how hopeless the team is?

Corvo is a place holder for this season until one of the youngsters is ready for prime time. Corvo had his moments, but did play his best hockey with the Canes. I'll admit that I blew a gasket when I first heard that he was signed, but it makes some kind of sense. If JR was trying to sign a guy for a season to buy some time, at least he knew how Corvo fit in the locker room and knew his performance. If Murphy is ready for prime time this year, then JR has some trade chips to use later in the year with the other D-men.

I agree with SuperDave.

I too blew a small gasket, but I'm over it now that I've looked at the wider picture.

There's a saying: "Your best job is your next one and your last one." JR let Joe go because he made a little noise about looking for his "next" job. Not every GM will do that. Just look at the mess in Washington's locker room.

Sure enough, though, Joe discovered his "last" job was pretty good. JR sensed this too and is hoping for the rekindling of the good fit.

Joe's a pretty unique, funky guy. I'm going to trust that JR has the pulse on the situation.

Point taken, and I agree completely with your assessment of the past D moves. We've seen too many good dmen leave over the past few years and I think the loss of Allen this season will hurt more than we think. Hopefully someone steps up like Faulk did last year so it will allow JR to put a nice trade package together. We've seen JR make moves as late as during camp and right at the start of the season so I doubt the defense is set in stone as is. Lots of time for things to shake out before the first regular season game.

LemaireisGOD: I may have misjudged your intentions, carry on...

Edited by TSA

Sure having Bryan Allen stay with the Canes would have been nice. But unlike Anaheim, I'm not sure he's worth a $10.5M commitment. I agree with JR, letting him go for that price was a smart move.

I'd much rather have Joe Corvo and commit $2-million than tying up $10.5-million on Allen.

All that said, I'd be happy if we resigned Jaroslav Špaček to a 1-year, $1.2-ish million deal. But, I have a feeling it won't happen as JR thinks Ryan Murphy is now ready to contribute on a daily basis.

Sure having Bryan Allen stay with the Canes would have been nice. But unlike Anaheim, I'm not sure he's worth a $10.5M commitment. I agree with JR, letting him go for that price was a smart move.

I'd much rather have Joe Corvo and commit $2-million than tying up $10.5-million on Allen.

That is very high but if JR considered extending him before free agency, you never know what kind of deal could have been made. We don't know if Allen was set on FA or not.

That is very high but if JR considered extending him before free agency, you never know what kind of deal could have been made. We don't know if Allen was set on FA or not.

I wonder if he had a crystal ball and saw the mega moves JR was about to make if he might have taken the Carolina hometown discount. Not that JR was necessarily offering it to him.

I have a feeling Allen's agent probably knew someone would offer him a decent raise in FA and JR knew they were too far apart to even attempt it. I do think he was happy here and would have considered staying if the $ was close.

I don't think the Canes ever intended to offer a 3-year deal to Allen regardless of the money. The Canes are getting younger and the defense is still under construction. We will miss Allen but a 2 or 3 year contract wasn't in our plan.

I admit that when we signed Corvo I shook my head and said to myself..what? But Corvo's one year deal gives us some flexibility for future moves and if he and Gleason reconnect it could be a really good pairing.

Corvo's first trade was a pure rental to Washington and a chance to go to a playoff team. Two month later he was back with the Canes as a FA. His second trade was at his request reportedly after his friend Cole moved on. My guess was Joe couldn't take anymore of the MO system. In any case it doesn't look like Joe or the Canes had any hard feelings. If Corvo finally figured out he is happiest in Carolina and plays like it everything could work out.

Is the Corvo signing insanity..maybe but if it is at 1 year it is temporary insanity.

I don't think the Canes ever intended to offer a 3-year deal to Allen regardless of the money. The Canes are getting younger and the defense is still under construction. We will miss Allen but a 2 or 3 year contract wasn't in our plan.

I admit that when we signed Corvo I shook my head and said to myself..what? But Corvo's one year deal gives us some flexibility for future moves and if he and Gleason reconnect it could be a really good pairing.

Corvo's first trade was a pure rental to Washington and a chance to go to a playoff team. Two month later he was back with the Canes as a FA. His second trade was at his request reportedly after his friend Cole moved on. My guess was Joe couldn't take anymore of the MO system. In any case it doesn't look like Joe or the Canes had any hard feelings. If Corvo finally figured out he is happiest in Carolina and plays like it everything could work out.

Is the Corvo signing insanity..maybe but if it is at 1 year it is temporary insanity.

Those are some excellent points. JR blew out the offense. Suter was the goal on defense, but really, we had zero chance. So JR takes a short rider on Corvo who has at least played his best here and had some nice chemistry with Gleason, and JR can sit back and work on the defense as we go. Gotta see if (I predict yes) Murphy makes the team. See what we have in McBain (his d was terrible early but did seem to improve notably as the year went on) and see if Pits can work in Muller's system. If so, we have an under the radar better than you think defense that can definitely light the lamp. If not, the piece that isn't working gets moved and we try again to find that perennial stay at home guy.

I just can't help but keep wondering if Doumalin really had to be part of that Staal deal...

Edited by remkin