The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Greg-N-Ral

All inclusive goalie discussion

<sarcasm> How did this happen? Ellis only had a 1.74 GAA, how did he let in 5 against Tampa? This doesn't make any mathematical sense!! His stats suggest that he won't let in 5 goals. 75% wins and we lost with Ellis? This goes against everything that he stats lead me to believe! </sarcasm>

It's almost like there's a larger force at work here. I can't quite put my finger on it though. It MIGHT have something to do with hockey being a TEAM sport. That's right, they win and lose games as a team. So here's a loss for the CANES. Not a loss for Dan Ellis, a loss for the team.

Both of our goalies have what it takes to win games, but the team needs to come together and fight through these injuries as a unit. No goalie in the world will carry them. I really like Cam Ward and I really like the addition of Dan Ellis, but both of them will look mediocre on paper in front of poor play.

Odd how some of the responses imply joy over the fact that Ellis had a bad game. Most of the calls for Ellis to start were from those who believed that the stats showed Ellis to be playing better than Ward, rather than being happy that Ward was leaking goals. I'm surprised at the the finger pointing, " See I told you so " attitude.

It isn't joy in Ellis having a bad game. It is the proof that it doesn't all fall on the goalie like some here think. I was hoping Ellis would play great and go on a run for a few games. Instead, he fell victim to the same issues that have affected Cam for years. Usually though it's pucks not getting cleared after an initial save. last night it was players being lost in scoring position.

Again, I'm not defending Ward for the Jets game. He was awful.

Edited by super_dave_1

Right now, both goalies suck...plain and simple.

Yes, Ellis left all those guys unguarded. ...sarcasm...

You guys still don't get that the issue is, and has always been, defensive coverage.

Yes, Ellis left all those guys unguarded. ...sarcasm...

You guys still don't get that the issue is, and has always been, defensive coverage.

... or lack there of. When we complain about defense, it's on everyone, not just the blue-liners. Ain't that right Dave?

Edited by jb_online

... or lack there of. When we complain about defense, it's on everyone, not just the blue-liners. Ain't that right Dave?

My ire has mostly been on blue liners, but last night was more on the forwards not being positionally sound. Defense as a whole requires everyone to participate.

Well from a purely subjective point of view, last night is what it looks like when your goalie gets no defensive support. That is what Cam has faced the majority of the past several years. Ellis didn't do much better against it.

Defensive coverage is definitely the biggest problem...but softie goals is problem 1A.

Another problem for both goalies is they almost NEVER get to play with the lead. Think about the toughest positions in other sports: Quarterback and Pitcher. How much more manageable is the game if their team has a lead?

In hockey, it's as or more important for the goalie. And the Canes have only scored first a few times this season, maybe 4 or 5? Give either of these goalies a lead and they've taken care of business--the Canes are one of only two teams in the entire NHL that has won every game when leading after one period and also when leading after two periods.

I felt my eyes were wide open when I claimed if Tampa scored 4 or less, Dan would have done his job.

Why?

1) Three (3) of our top D-man were hurt, not playing that night. Ouch!!! 

2) Rounding to the nearest goal count, Tampa averages 4 goals per game.

3) Tampa was/is LEADING the NHL in scoring!

Bottom line, sadly, we lost that one. But, we can't pin that lost on Dan -- zero soft goals allowed.

Last Goalie-by-the-Numbers update for ya...

As always, Dan's numbers with Cam's included as a point of reference.

Goals Against Avg
Ward  3.00
Dan   2.39

Winning %
Ward  7-6-1  50%
Dan   3-2-0  60%

Save %
Ward .904 
Dan   .925

At last Isn't it nice to have 2 NHL quality goalkeepers. In years past  when Ward sat it was pray for a miracle, Now when Ellis spells Ward we expect to win.  Ellis might get the start tomorrow in the back to back.

I do hope that Dan starts tomorrow. I'm done with the Cam v. Dan debate, but I do think Ellis needs to see starts and tomorrow is the classic place to start him.

Looks like Dan will be the man until Cam comes back. Hopefully the injury is not too serious. One good thing is that Ellis is a very good goaltender, and the players have confidence with him in net.

Most likely Justin Peters.  We'll get the official press release soon about who the call up is.

So ends the Great Ellis/Ward debate, I think we can all now agree that whatever camp we were in prior to Cam Ward's injury doesn't matter too much now.  What matters is that we all rally behind whoever is in net to carry the load while Cam heals.

Most likely Justin Peters.  We'll get the official press release soon about who the call up is.

So ends the Great Ellis/Ward debate, I think we can all now agree that whatever camp we were in prior to Cam Ward's injury doesn't matter too much now.  What matters is that we all rally behind whoever is in net to carry the load while Cam heals.

Wait, what if I'm in the Peters camp.  I want to debate.  :)  Just goofing, TSA...

I'll say this.  Thank you JR for having the forsight to get Ellis.  I'm also hoping Peters has matured a bit.  Meanwhile, JR is looking like a genius.