The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Greg-N-Ral

All inclusive goalie discussion

Cam is not "elite" but he is a top goalie in the next tier below elite status. I am a huge supporter of his but he is very overrated by many Canes fans.

Agree Clark!  I have Cam ranked as the 12-18th best NHL goalie. That tier is certainly not bad at all, but certainly not elite. 

Now, one thing I will say, and I'm sure some here will yell BS, and I get that, but here it is.... (and I'm not saying this because of the elite debate) 

I've learned (from a decent source) that Cam Ward is not happy with Carolina.  He's open to a trade.  

Now this next part is me, totally speculating, but given above and if Dan Ellis rocks it the rest of the season, I would not be shocked if Ward gets traded (esp if the Canes don't make the playoffs).  Bottom line? It still seems like a long shot to me, and hard to image, but if you gave me 15-1 odds, I'd probably take it.

Remember Cam's contract will be up soon, and I don't think the offer sheet will be even close to the 6 mil he makes now. May be less than half. His decision will be to take the home town discount, as others have, or find another team.

Remember Cam's contract will be up soon...

Hi Wingman!  Right with you. The contract ending point was also mentioned to me in that "not happy" conversation. 

Ward has 3 more years left on his contract. In hockey talk that isn't soon. I have no idea if Cam is unhappy or wants to be moved but my guess is there would be plenty of takers.

I know one thing - I wish he was starting in goal today, tomorrow, next week and next year.

Tripp even keeps trying to keep Cam in the spotlight. He is happy to tell the viewers about Cam's last game against the team we are playing.... how he was spectacular but in a losing cause the last time we played in that barn. Too much time, effort , and money in an average goalie to make the hometown fans think his results are better than his stats prove. 

For the most part, I enjoy both John and Tripp and I'd actually like to see Tripp break down more film during the broadcasts. Lets face it, most of the intermission-interviews are predictable at best.

Now that said, both Tripp and John do "talk up" even the most average effort from Cam on a nightly basis and yes, some fans are highly influenced! 

But again, I don't blame Tripp and John, they are just doing their jobs, lets never forget they are part of the marketing effort, and that's not a dig, its just business and that's how it works (for better or worse). 

Ward has 3 more years left on his contract. In hockey talk that isn't soon. I have no idea if Cam is unhappy or wants to be moved but my guess is there would be plenty of takers.

Perhaps saying real "soon" is misleading.

But his current contract length was mentioned to me hand-in-hand with the "not happy" statement.

And a trade, given his contract-lenght, actually makes sense, if you connect the dots...

While its not ending "real soon" its not going out far like Jordan, Skinner and Semin. Ditto its not going out "long" like other goalies around the horn like Luongo, DiPietro, Bryzgalov, Pekka, C. Price, etc

so ===> Ward's contract length (whatever adj you want to use to desc the length) actually makes him more "moveable" and attractive to other teams right now --- its not to long and its not to short.

I know one thing - I wish he was starting in goal today, tomorrow, next week and next year.

Sure, but the real question (re trade) is...

Would you rather have:

1) Ward in goal and Covo (for example) on D

-OR-

2) Ellis in goal and say Zdeno Chara on D.

-OR-

3) Ellis and fill in the blank stud d-man (Erik Karlsson, Duncan Keith etc)

Naturally, at this stage, the Bruins would never trade Chara for Cam Ward, but you get the idea. 

In turn, even if the Canes wanted to trade Cam, that's the problem, we just would not get that much in return, certainly not a vital big piece of the puzzle (like a stud NHL D-man).

Sorry, should have looked it up. Can't believe that was a 10 year deal. 

Edited by winger52

And a trade, given his contract-lenght, actually makes sense, if you connect the dots...

so ===> Ward's contract length (whatever adj you want to use to desc the length) actually makes him more "moveable" and attractive to other teams right now --- its not to long and its not to short.

Why would Cam's current contract make him more attractive to other teams? Do you really think any team is going to part with any asset of great significance in exchange for what you describe as a middle of the pack goaltender who has 3 years left on an expensive contract? I don't see it happening.

Unfortunately, I think Cam's contract is an albatross. He's being paid like one of the best 2 or 3 goalies in the NHL...and has proven statistically to be middle of the pack in most categories, dead last in shootouts. But that's Rutherford, paying his average players like world beaters! 

And that M.T.Netter guy we've been playing a lot lately, is plain horrible! 

Peters is being shelled night in and night out.  He is holding up well.  It's not him that is the problem.  It's the lack of scoring.

Sounds very familiar....

It seems like we have stopped comparing our goaltender's stats as the season has progressed. There's an interesting trend happening to the numbers as our goalies all approach a similar number of games played. 

Edited by Gejustin

Probably because it no longer fits into the mode of stepping on Cam's neck as the OP and the usual "others" who willingly jumped in obviously intended (at least that's the way I took it). 

Since it's gone south for Ellis and Peters, with the same team in front of them, all we hear now is.........

Edited by coastal_caniac

For what it's worth.

Ward      9-6-1       2.84       .908

Peters    3-6-0       2.93       .905

Ellis        4-6-1       3.01       .905

By Month GP GS TOI/G   W L OTL GA GAA SA    SV SV% SO

January     4     4   49:54    1 3    0     15 4.51 108    93 .861 0

February 11    10   58:16    6 3    1     27 2.53 330  303 .918 0

March       2      2   44:28    2 0    0       2 1.35  39   37 .949  0

Peters Month by Month

By Month GP GS TOI/G    W L OTL GA GAA   SA SV SV% SO

March        8    7  52:24      3 4    0     20 2.86   224 204 .911 1

April           2    1  46:19      0 2    0       5 3.24     40   35 .875 0

Ellis Month by Month

By Month GP GS TOI/G   W L OTL GA    GAA   SA SV   SV% SO

January     2   1     49:59    1 0    0       2    1.20   54 52   .963    0

February   4   4      50:11    2 2   0      10   2.99  107 97   .907   1

March       6   5     55:27     1 3   1      16   2.89  181 165  .912  0

April          2   2     42:13     0 1   0       8    5.68     37  29  .784   0

Edited by legend-1

It really was just a matter of time before Ellis' numbers did what Ward's did (mostly because of games played in front of this defense). I ultimately feel like we still have okay goaltending depth though, and if we fix our massive defensive weaknesses, we will be in good shape.

On the positive side of things, Peters has had a really good year for his development. I'm not going to analyze his numbers or anything, but good for him that he's had a chance to play this much in both leagues. Right now we don't have a clear number 1 in Ward's absence. I really like Ellis, but I hope that Peters battles for the spot  

Edited by Gejustin

As the season has progressed, I think Ellis is being exposed for what he is and always has been.  A backup, and right now, not a very good one. 

As the season has progressed, I think Peters is being exposed (again) for what he is and always has been.  An AHL regular whose game doesn't translate into the NHL.

Feel free to keep using those stats.

The only good thing about where the Canes sit right now is that Peters could at least get a lot more NHL experience. I just hope it wouldn't ruin his confidence for down the road!!

I am happy with Ward playing 65 games and Peters can be a useful 15 game backup.  Let's face it, that is the kind of work someone with Ward's salary should be playing.  It was too bad that Ellis wasn't dealt at the trade deadline.  There is no sense bringing him back next year when he is a UFA.  Would have been nice to get something for him.

What is really kinda bad/sad is that it hasn't mattered who has been in net since 06, with only 1 trip to the playoffs since winning the cup!!! So none of our goal tenders have stepped up and neither have the rest of the players on the team!!

I would amuse Ward will be the starter for nest year with Boucher backing him up.   Ellis will be sent to the Checkers and as a UFA Peters will be told to hit the road

Peters has another year on his deal and Ellis is the ufa whom I don't see being resigned.

I wouldn't be surprised if Boucher retires honestly.