The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Greg-N-Ral

All inclusive goalie discussion

what is his track record over his NHL career?   Is there an UFA goalie available at hos current salary?

what is his track record over his NHL career?   Is there an UFA goalie available at hos current salary?

Ask you shall receive!  UFA's next year near Ellis' 0.65 million hit this year:   GAA  3.19  SV% 0.902

Boston:  Anton Khodubin...0.875 million   GAA 2.23    SV% 0.924

Calgary:  Joey McDonald...0.550 million   GAA  3.05    SV% 0.895

Chicago:  Ray Emery....1.15 million          GAA  1.90    SV% 0.924

Columbus:  Michael Leighton...0.900 million  PLEASE NO!   1 game so I am not even going to put his stats.

Edmonton:  Nicolai Khabibulin...3.75 million (just putting him because he is 39 and if doesn't retire would resign for much less I am sure)   GAA 2.50   SV% 0.923

Florida:  Jose Theodore...1.50 million    GAA  3.29   SV% 0.893

Nashville:  Chris Mason...1.25 million    GAA 3.54    SV% 0.866

Phoenix:  Mike Smith.....2.00 million      GAA  2.59   SV% 0.910

Phoenix:  Jason LeBarbara....1.25 million   GAA  2.48   SV% 0.924

San Jose:  Tom Greiss.....0.625 million    GAA  2.64  SV% 0.909

Tampa:  Mathieu Garon....1.20 million   GAA  2.81  SV% 0.902

Winnipeg:  Al Montoya....0.601 million    GAA  2.91  SV% 0.899

thanks..looks as if the Canes need to up the ante to get a goalie of any quality.  And no he hasn't earn a raise.   He will be fortunate if the Canes keep him at his current salary 

I really like LeBarbara from Phoenix. I've seen him play a lot this year and he is a battler who can play. Plus I don't think he would break the bank.

I really like LeBarbara from Phoenix. I've seen him play a lot this year and he is a battler who can play. Plus I don't think he would break the bank.

Phoenix is in an interesting situation because both their goalies are UFAs.  Based on his stats he would be an upgrade for sure

Look at where this time is now compared to where it was when he was playing.  All the naysayers have now been silenced.  He was one of the only reasons that we were winning games.  A great goalie, that is criticized for his average stats, and plays on a team with the worst blue line in the NHL.  Thoughts?

To add to the stats point, how can you have "top-5"-like stats when you're playing on this team? He actually has good stats for what he has to deal with.

This morning Chuck said (on 99.9FM) that he thinks Peters will play out the rest of the year.

I find this very interesting.

Is Ellis that hurt?

Is Ellis a head case and they've completey written him off?

If (no Ellis)

then check out Peters; ?

Sure sounds like Peters will be scrambling for his job.  He's signed through next year, but it sounds like he may be in a "show me" moment.

I wouldn't be surprised if his comments about the team sucking whether they were right or not came back to bite him in the *edit* when he started sucking.

Some things even though fans want to hear it outta stay in the locker room.

I wouldn't be surprised if his comments about the team sucking whether they were right or not came back to bite him in the *edit* when he started sucking.

Some things even though fans want to hear it outta stay in the locker room.

Agree.  It was fun for the fans at the time, but I doubt it did anything good in the room.

The other thing is he keeps coming up lame right before games.  Maybe not his fault, however, he played through it the first time -- AFTER Cam went down bad.  That moment is likely sticking with the management pretty heavily.

I feel that after this last season every including the naysayers have realized how good Ward actually is and what he brings to the table. He gets shelled on a nightly basis. If he played for a team that actually knew how to play defense and clear the puck he could very well be a top 3 goalie in the league. Thoughts?

I'll preface my response with the fact that I've only been following the sport for a couple of years, so my opinion may be on the novice side.  With this said, I don't feel that Ward is a top 3 goalie, but I will agree that our defense has needed to improve since Ward is constantly on the upper end of the "shots against" category.  I think Ward is definitely above average and with his injury last season (among others on the team), we saw just how shallow the depth of our entire team was at most positions, including backup goalie.  Ellis and Peters were good in spots, but couldn't consistently produce over the entire season.  Again though, part of this can be attributed to our poor overall defense.

What I fear, and I may be wrong and hope that I am, is that with his recent injuries Ward is on the downside of his career, still productive but not quite like he was when he was at his peak.  He isn't going to perform like he did in 06, but we shouldn't expect him to.  I believe he is the best option we have right now, but I feel we can't rely on him to start 80% of the games like in years past (stat unverified).  Yes, part of him starting that many games is because we haven't had a good backup behind him.  Now, we have Khudobin and I feel we can balance starts between them which will keep Ward fresher for the later parts of the season.

Aren't there like 12 threads on this already?

Yes.  This one has now been merged.

I feel that after this last season every including the naysayers have realized how good Ward actually is and what he brings to the table. He gets shelled on a nightly basis. If he played for a team that actually knew how to play defense and clear the puck he could very well be a top 3 goalie in the league. Thoughts?

I really don't think that an average 1 or 2 shots per game rise to the level of  " getting shelled".

Canada's Olympic Team camp roster...

In Goal...
Corey Crawford (Chicago)
Braden Holtby (Washington)
Roberto Luongo (Vancouver)
Carey Price (Montreal)
Mike Smith (Phoenix)

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nhl--rankings--the-top-30-starting-goalies-in-the-nhl-154114642.html'>Rankings:  Top 30 Starting Goalies

For what it's worth in this dicussion, this guy thinks Ward is #10 in the league and makes a valid point...

10. Cam Ward, Carolina

How valuable is the Hurricanes stopper? He was playoff MVP when they won the Cup in 2006, and Carolina went off the rails when Ward went down with injury last season.

Thanks for that link from what one person at Yahoo thinks. While I'm not running with it, it is certainly one more weight on the scale. In short, he also confirms Cam is NOT an "elite" (ie: top-5) NHL goalie.

Here's how 10 NHL experts including former Canes goalie Kevin Weekes and NHL.com expert Shawn Roarke

ranked the NHL's top-8 net minders...   http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=662735

As you can see from this article, not a single expert (out of 10) put Cam in the top-8.

As always, again, the upshot is Cam is NOT an NHL "elite" (top-5) goalie.... HOWEVER, that said, he's a nice asset for the Canes and its great we have him as he's likley the 11-18th best NHL goalie, but naturally his contract hurts the team as he's paid like a top-8 which all the objective experts don't seem to think he is.

Naturaly, some zealous Canes fans, and the team's paid announcers with a huge bias,  will make excuses for why others don't think he's a top-5 "elite" goalie.

Finally, ranking any player in 2013-2014 saying its largely based on what he did 7 (seven) years ago (over a 16-game period) is, at best, a facile comment.

Using that logic, I guess we could claim Jonathan Cheechoo is still an elite top-5 right winger --- after all, Cheechoo did score over 90-points in the entire reg season in 2006 and he was an amazing plus-20 something, with perhaps the best or 2nd best shooting percentage to boot!  It just does not fly.

Edited by Greg-N-Ral

I'm cool with Cam + Khudobin. Anybody else?  

I don't really know what Cam + Khudobin adds up to in the elite goalie rankings, but I'm pretty dang happy with that rather than Cam + Peters.

Well done, JR.