The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Greg-N-Ral

All inclusive goalie discussion

I'm cool with Cam + Khudobin. Anybody else?  

I don't really know what Cam + Khudobin adds up to in the elite goalie rankings, but I'm pretty dang happy with that rather than Cam + Peters.

Well done, JR.

I'm good with it.

Canada's Olympic Team camp roster...

In Goal...

Corey Crawford (Chicago)
Braden Holtby (Washington)
Roberto Luongo (Vancouver)
Carey Price (Montreal)
Mike Smith (Phoenix)

The only one I don't think belongs on this list is Holtby. While he is an up and coming goalie, he hasn't played a whole season yet.

I've been so busy predicting breakouts for Skinner and Jordan, that I just about forgot about Wardo. With a healthy knee and a full pre-season, and a better defense, I think Cam will get back to elite this year.

I'm good with it. Again I live in a Flyers area and the constant goalie discussion is an annual distraction in my opinion. I am VERY happy we are not in that boat.

Thanks for that link from what one person at Yahoo thinks. .

How exactly is that any different from what you, one person at ch.com thinks?

I'm all for hearing people's opinions, but give others the same consideration as you expect for your own thoughts.

As for Khudobin, he has proven that he can perform well in a backup role and is bound to be an improvement over Peters.

Edited by super_dave_1

I'm still trying to figure out whose claimed Cam's a top 5 NHL goalie in the last 5 days?

Edited by legend-1

I'm still trying to figure out whose claimed Cam's a top 5 NHL goalie in the last 5 days?

Why would he miss a chance to get his point across, for the eleventy millionth time?

I don't think Cam is in the elite category, but he is above average. I was posting the link because it is interesting to me to see what other people think, much like when I read posts on these boards. Not everyone has the same opinion. This said, I am a lot more excited about our goalie tandem this coming season than last season.

Welcome all to the 2013-14 version of the Canes Goalie Stats thread.

This thread is for the open minded Canes fan that likes to look at 2013-14 goalie stats and facts!  Those that like to make excuses may not like this tread that much.

As they say, "the numbers don't lie."

For the Canes net minders, here's how its looking so far...

0-1-1  win=000%        CAM WARD                 GAA = 3.90              SAVE % = .893
1-0-0  win=100%        ANTON KHUDOBIN      GAA = 1.00              SAVE % = .944

Naturally, its early so I'll be updating this tread often the rest of the season.

Go Canes!!

Merged with your all inclusive goalie thread, no need to have two threads on the same topic.

Numbers from the first few games don't lie huh?

Dan Ellis looked fantastic in net last night!!

By way of comparison, so far this year, with the same team in front of them,
and having played a similar number of minutes (140 vs 100),
here's what Ward and Ellis have done for us so far::

Ellis - 96% save pct vs. Cam Ward - 84% ===> advantage Ellis

Ellis - 1.20 GAA vs. Cam Ward - 4.71 GAA ===> advantage Ellis

Ellis - 1-0 record vs. Cam Ward - 1-2 record ====> advantage Ellis

Conclusion:
TIme to give Dan Ellis those back-to-back starts!!
I for one want Ellis in goal Monday night against Boston.

Cam Ward              9-6-1         2.84         .908
Justin Peters          3-6-0         3.01         .902
Dan Ellis                 4-8-1         3.19         .902

Looks like they lied to you last year.

Actually, Dan did outplay Ward until Ellis got hurt last year (and the stats do show that).... but again, this thread is now for 2013-14 stats/season...  so lets not go off topic.     Thanks!

BTW, not sure anyone said the first few games are always accurate for projecting the rest of the season.
For more on small sample size... see Staaly's song...  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dw9qqvm-LT8

I'm optimistic about our goalie combo and will hold out on comparisons between the two until we get a lot more than 4 games under our belt (especially since Ward was between the pipes against easily one of the best teams in the league).  Comparing them now doesn't make much more sense than saying that Gerbe or Dvorak are better than E based on the first 4 games of the season. 

Edited by LakeLivin

After Cam's best performance of the season last night again the Kings,
our goalie's stats for the season now look like this...

CAM WARD                2.87-gaa      .920-save%       0-1-2       0% win%
ANTON KHUDOBIN    1.50-gaa      .940-save%       2-0-0    100% win%

IMO, save% is the single best metric to evaluate relative performance.
Edited by Greg-N-Ral

After Cam's best performance of the season last night again the Kings,
our goalie's stats for the season now look like this...

CAM WARD                2.87-gaa      .920-save%       0-1-2       0% win%
ANTON KHUDOBIN    1.50-gaa      .940-save%       2-0-0    100% win%

IMO, save% is the single best metric to evaluate relative performance.

Unfortunately, stats don't reflect a lot of what goalies are doing, which makes for lots of differing opinions in goalie discussions. Although I agree, save % is probably the best metric available. Of course, there is also a difference in opponents to consider.  

So just to add a little perspective:

The average save percentage against the teams Ward has faced is .917. Ward's .920 is 3 percentage points above that average.

The average save percentage against the teams Khudobin has faced is .936. Khudobin's .940 is 4 percentage points above that average.

Not bad for a goalie tandem at this point.

I prefer to rely on my eyes and my brain. Both are telling me that we have two good goalies right now that are earning us points. Cam had an off night in Pittsburgh, but it wouldn't have mattered if God was in net. Hmmmm, if God did play goalie, I wonder what his mask would look like?