The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Greg-N-Ral

All inclusive goalie discussion

They also don't tell the full story.

+1

I'm just glad we have a decent goalie tandem that can help us get some much needed wins. As to who has the better stats I don't really care and as soulcrusher mentioned they never tell the full story. 

Cam in net against a top-tier Detroit team -- 'Whodo' against the struggling Flyers. 

Cam in net against arguably the best team in the Conference -- Whodo gets the more or less equal Caps.

Cam in net against a very physical and skilled LA team -- Whodo gets the more or less equal 'Yotes.

With the current rotation, my guess is Cam (unless he tweaked something again) will be in net against the reigning Cup Champ Chicago and possibly the Atlantic division leading Leafs and Whodo will possibly see the Islanders and/or Wild.

So, despite of what the stats show, the early pattern suggests that Cam will face the tougher opponents for the time being. If that trend changes and Khudobin starts seeing all the tougher opponents then Cam might have something to worry about. Doubt that I would worry about it though because it means Kirk is doing his best to help us win games. 

Before Doby's injury tonight, I was thinking we had one of the best goaltender duos in the league. Now with his injury, which I do think is serious, do the Canes now call up Peters or shop for an available goalie? Here is a list of UFA goalies.

Goalie                              Previous Team             Age  2012-13 Salary Hit

Chris Mason                    NAS                               36  $1,500,000  
Jose Theodore                FLA                                36  $1,500,000  
Mathieu Garon                TBL                                35  $1,300,000
Brian Boucher                 CAR                               36  $950,000  
Michael Leighton            CBJ                                31  $900,000
Jeff Drouin-Deslauriers  ANA                                28  $612,500

Welcome all to the 2013-14 version of the Canes Goalie Stats thread.

This thread is for the open minded Canes fan that likes to look at 2013-14 goalie stats and facts!  Those that like to make excuses may not like this tread that much.

I'm confused.  Your post disqualifies you from participating in this thread.  Why are you here?

I'm confused.  Your post disqualifies you from participating in this thread.  Why are you here?

albundy_shock.gif

That aside I dont think we'll sign a free agent goalie. I wouldn't mind giving Theodore a chance but it wont happen...unless Ward goes down of course...

Thanks. At first he looked like maybe he pulled his groin but he couldn't put any pressure on his left leg so I'm kinda worried it was a knee ligament.

I came here to be sad about Khudobin and I left to queue up Married with Children on Netflix.

Edit: Evidently you can no longer stream it. 

Edited by Gejustin

Hopefully Anton's MRI comes back negative but even if it does it will take him a long time to get back to where he was before injured! So with that said if the Canes have to ride on Cams back as the #1 goalie its going to be another short season! But I guess I should be use to it.. "1 playoff entry since winning the Cup"!! (SSDD) Big changes need to be made--from players to coaching staff!!

I was so looking forward to a season with a great goalie tandem. A tandem where you can't tell the difference between the starter and the backup. I'm hoping the injury Dobby suffered looked worse than it is. Oh well, injuries are part of the game.

Thinking back a couple games. Was it the Pens (my memory) game. That flurry of saves Ward made was brilliant. As good as it gets. At the same time Ward seems to be a touch slower moving side to side and perhaps up and down. Two leg injuries can do that but as he plays that should get better.

Confidence is a big part of a goalies game and confidence from the team in that goalie is just as important. Ward is in a position that he will have to earn his reputation again. I'm betting he does.

Using the logic that seems to be law around here let me post some NUMBERS.

CAM WARD                3.32-gaa      .920-save%       0-2-2        0% wins
HENRIK LUNDQVIST  4.21-gaa      .887-save%       1-3-0      25% wins
ANTON KHUDOBIN    2.00-gaa      .929-save%       2-0-0    100% wins

This whole time I thought Hank was a really good goaltender, but the numbers don't lie.
Edited by Gejustin

Sarcasm aside, I would like to promote a real discussion here. It seems like there are a number of people on this board who constantly place blame on our goaltenders individually (mainly Cam Ward). I get that it's the easiest thing to do and requires less analysis/brainpower to come on here and blame the goalie when we've let up 4 or 5 goals in a losing effort. Yesterday's game got me thinking and, in my opinion, provides a great example of why this whole discussion/blame game is flawed, and why this thread really shouldn't even exist.

A lot of people have already thrown Cam under the bus for yesterday's loss, but it doesn't really make sense when you think about it and analyze the goals. Yesterday's game is great because it had both of our goaltenders in it, letting in roughly equal goals against and Phoenix's goalie, Mike Smith, who some might consider better than both of our goalies.

Goals against in yesterdays game:

Anton Khudobin - 2

Cam Ward - 3

Mike Smith - 3

So each goaltender let's in roughly the same number of goals, but Cam Ward seems to take the blame around here for this game. I don't care about the number of shots each goalie saw compared to the number that were goals, because those aren't important. The only thing that matters is how the goal happened. One of them could have let in 5 goals on 5 shots and it doesn't necessarily tell an accurate story about that goaltenders real performance.

I need someone from the anti-Ward camp to tell me why Ward was so "bad" yesterday? Make me see what you see. I've looked at all the goals over and over. What is different about the goals against Cam Ward yesterday that makes them worse than the goals against Khudobin or Smith? Show me the mistakes that Cam makes that the other two didn't, AND explain to me how each of those "better" goaltenders makes that save instead. 

If you really consider the physics involved and how much faster the game is at ice level, none of these guys really had much of a chance to do anything "skillful" in a lot these goals and these are all common NHL goals. They will probably go in against most goaltenders, even the ones we consider elite. The truth is, these goals are all combinations of luck, skill and mistakes made by the collective group involved.

So please, enlighten me with more than numbers. 

So here are the facts so far this season...

CAM WARD               3.32-gaa     0-2-2     0% win pct             90% save%

ANTON KHUDOBIN     2.00-gaa   2-0-0  100% win pct            93% save%

Naturally, some will jump into excuse mode now, but those are the facts.

So here are the facts so far this season...

CAM WARD               3.32-gaa     0-2-2     0% win pct             90% save%

ANTON KHUDOBIN     2.00-gaa   2-0-0  100% win pct            93% save%

Naturally, some will jump into excuse mode now, but those are the facts.

I really can no longer argue in the face of such overwhelming evidence. It is pretty clear that Cam is done. 

I would point out though (as we have in the other thread) that we should not forget one Justin Peters who is undefeated this year sporting a .940 save percentage. 

It's really down to Peters or Khudobin now that I think about it. And given how average Cam is, I would expect Peters to start vs. the champs tomorrow and as many game as possible until Khudobin is back. I just hope we get something for Cam at some point. At least a pick or something.

n7gu.JPG

It's good to get this off my chest. Recently,  I've become a closet prisoner of the power of the stat.  I mean really, how compelling is the evidence reading through this thread.  Particularly when you can put it in bold text.

I'm not worried, it's easy to interpret from the above stats that our next great goalie tandem has arrived.

Anybody like how I put up that slick graphic?  If a guy is computer literate enough, he can really drive his point home.

How should we refer to the "Murph's" going forward? "R" and "M"?

Edited by coastal_caniac

NP. that's what this thread is for... just the facts....  2013-14 NHL facts that is!

Ha ha, I see what you did there.  You sly dawg. B)   "M" Murph doesn't count cause he isn't on a one-way?.  Clever, but no go. 

You can't make up the rules as you go along.  Somebody might think you would be making excuses.  We all know that's a no-no. :nonono:

Anyway, love your thread, and carry on. :popcorn:

Edited by coastal_caniac