The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Greg-N-Ral

All inclusive goalie discussion

SO just because several of us have a differing opinion than your own we are labeled? These boards all of a sudden feels like someone who posts a conservative idea/belief on Reddit.com.

Wrong.  It's just that the CWZAF is the bunch that has their collective mind made up and are not willing to hear any discussion.  Cam sucks, and that's it.  When somebody talks about the Canes being 23rd in the league in "average shots against" or 26th in the league in "average goals scored", suddenly that person is labeled a Cam apologist and is making excuses.  Both of those are current stats by the way.  Ya'll say "stats don't lie".

Yeah if you aren't one of the Happy Happy  Joy,Joy " Camafan" on here you get blasted more than we blast Cam, but to me its worth still having my B**LS and not jumpin on the Camwagon!!  Welcome to the Camaphobia bandwagon!! :thumbsup:  :rockon:  :woohoo:  :yahoo: 

...and wronger.

You disappear all the off season and show up just as the season starts to whine.  You and your B**LS can do whatever they want to do.

It's all inclusive... here are some stats for some guy who used to play...

Career     NHL 868 403 295 114 2756 21873 19403 .887 3.38 25 48945     128.5 0 2 2 20

403 wins.  Career save percentage .887.  3.38 GA.

Played 18 seasons.  Won 5 Stanley cups, although was injured for the last one, didn't play those playoffs.

Played in 6 All Star games.

In the Hall of Fame.

Wayne Gretzky has stated multiple times he believes he is the greatest goaltender in NHL history

Oh, and his save percentage was under .900 14 of his 18 seasons, 2 seasons they hadn't started tracking save percentage yet, and the other 2 seasons he saved at .903 and .901.

Food for thought... draw your own conclusions, I have mine.  Might have something to do with defense.

I don't think Cam is mediocre @ best, but I don't think he's as good as some on this site portray him. He's a solid middle of the pack goaltender in one of the best leagues in the world (if not the best). He's not elite. Not by far. But in my opinion, to be an elite goalie, or to be considered an elite goalie, you really need an elite defense in front of you. We haven't had anything close to that since winning it all in '06. We finally have a decent defense, and I think it also has a lot to do with the system requiring all five players to work together defensively and offensively. I also think it's why some of our forwards aren't scoring at that great of a pace yet. Cam has been playing a little shakey so far, either playing weird angles on rushes or losing his positioning momentarily to create second chances on open nets. I don't feel comfortable watching him in net sometimes. He seems to by overplaying the puck a bit, moving too much to either side to the point of putting himself out of position for any second chances, relying on his defense to clear the crease too much.

Anyways that's my .02 on Cam so far this season, and overall.

If this is fuhr this is pointless. The game was different back then. Nobody played defense and 20 players would put up 100 plus point seasons.

Excuses...excuses

Wrong.  It's just that the CWZAF is the bunch that has their collective mind made up and are not willing to hear any discussion.  Cam sucks, and that's it.  When somebody talks about the Canes being 23rd in the league in "average shots against" or 26th in the league in "average goals scored", suddenly that person is labeled a Cam apologist and is making excuses.  Both of those are current stats by the way.  Ya'll say "stats don't lie".

...and wronger.

You disappear all the off season and show up just as the season starts to whine.  You and your B**LS can do whatever they want to do.

What is there to talk about in the "OFFSEASON", Plus I don't whine  I just give my opinion that Cams numbers prove!! And yes me and MY B**LS ALWAYS do what we want to do or say!!

If this is fuhr this is pointless. The game was different back then. Nobody played defense and 20 players would put up 100 plus point seasons.

I get what you mean.  The way the other players on the ice play has an effect on the statistics.  You can't just look at the statistics and infer meaning.  Fair summation?

"Nobody played defense".  Hypothetically, if you could characterize a modern team's defense as poor, wouldn't that be a similar situation?    hmmm...

The state of hockey was different then. You had guys putting up 177-200 points. That does not happen anymore. You can't compare goalies from the 80's to present day goalies based off of stats you just can't.

Checkmate.

So let me see if I understand this. The way teams played defense had a significant impact on a goalies stats? 

Uncheck mate!

So let me see if I understand this. The way teams played defense had a significant impact on a goalies stats? 

Back in those days  goalies pads weren't probably 1/2 as big or the shoulder pads either & neither were the gloves and blockers,masks and they didn't have all the other rules where you can't hit them, interfere them, they weren't on the high pedestal that they are on now! They had to worry about the game that was being played all around them,,not just in that little blue paint area that they get millions of dollars to protect! And heavan forbid they get hit or ruffed up a bit,,,boo hoo !!

Uncheck mate!

Back in those days  goalies pads weren't probably 1/2 as big or the shoulder pads either & neither were the gloves and blockers,masks and they didn't have all the other rules where you can't hit them, interfere them, they weren't on the high pedestal that they are on now! They had to worry about the game that was being played all around them,,not just in that little blue paint area that they get millions of dollars to protect! And heavan forbid they get hit or ruffed up a bit,,,boo hoo !!

Listen man, I'm not interested in the details. If I've learned anything in this thread, it's that the circumstances surrounding the numbers aren't important. The only thing that matters are the numbers, everything else is an excuse. 1/2 sized pads sounds like an excuse to me now.

and I guarantee you were yelling at your favorite team's goalie even back then.

Uncheck mate!

I have to say that Grandpa Simpson clip is one of my favorite 6 seconds in television. Bart is manning the door at the house of ill repute. Grandpa Simpson is coming in for his routine visit when he sees Bart and without missing a beat goes right back out. That is just genius and hilarious.

I see it as the Cam dissenters reaction to this board after Cam lays down a great game.

Yeah. Great game on a 25 shots against night.

So now it's not about wins and losses and shots against is a valid stat? I get it, shots against is a stat when they are low, but an excuse when they are high. I'm beginning to get this stuff now.

Some folks are just like Grumpy Cat, always grumpy.

So now it's not about wins and losses and shots against is a valid stat? I get it, shots against is a stat when they are low, but an excuse when they are high. I'm beginning to get this stuff now.

Some folks are just like Grumpy Cat, always grumpy.

So now you whine when I say a great game, and congratulate on the defense limiting the shots against. Which way do you want me to react, either way you want to criticize, 

So now you whine when I say a great game, and congratulate on the defense limiting the shots against. Which way do you want me to react, either way you want to criticize, 

I see what you are trying to do, but no soup for you.  When you said...

Yeah. Great game on a 25 shots against night.

...it seems to me that it was a slam that Cam could have a good game simply because there were fewer SOG.  I have said all along that SOG is a major impact on his performance while the CWZAS has said that SOG is an excuse.  You can't have it both ways.  Remember, we are familiar with your previous posts.

Edited by super_dave_1

Simmer down now...

Lets get back to the facts... the numbers for this season!

CAM WARD                 2.84           2-2-3        91% save,       29% win%    
ANTON KHUDOBIN      2.00           2-0-0        93% save,     100% win%  

Clearly, we all agree the defense is playing much better so far this year, and that is a good thing!!
Edited by Greg-N-Ral