The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Greg-N-Ral

All inclusive goalie discussion

hey hey whadda say, he's added Win Percentage because the single most important goalie stat is pretty much tied now.

Let me know when you get down to who has a better golf score.

I see what you are trying to do, but no soup for you.  When you said...

...it seems to me that it was a slam that Cam could have a good game simply because there were fewer SOG.  I have said all along that SOG is a major impact on his performance while the CWZAS has said that SOG is an excuse.  You can't have it both ways.  Remember, we are familiar with your previous posts.

Just a big thanks letting me know what I was thinking. How about in future posts you stick to you own opinion and try not to look for hidden meaning in mine.

hey hey whadda say, he's added Win Percentage because the single most important goalie stat is pretty much tied now.

Yeah Greg, like it wasn't obvious what you did there.  Try again.

djuo.gif

Edited by coastal_caniac

Great post dude  :dizzy:

Yeah Greg, like it wasn't obvious what you did there.  Try again.

Well, sorry, but some of us do feel the defense is playing much better so far this year, and that is a good thing!!

You Little Rascal  you!

Well, sorry, but some of us do feel the defense is playing much better so far this year, and that is a good thing!!

You Little Rascal  you!

Care to explain how that relates to the stats you threw up there?  :popcorn:

Sure.  Glad to.

In a nutshell, the improved Defense (d-men) is contributing to more wins (win %) and our 4-2 regulation record.

Edited by Greg-N-Ral

Just a big thanks letting me know what I was thinking. How about in future posts you stick to you own opinion and try not to look for hidden meaning in mine.

Touch a nerve?

Greg, I'm speaking directly to the goalie stas you put up. As was Legend.

How do those particular stats relate to team win %?  We've gotten 7 of our 11 points behind one goalie.  By your logic that would be enough to throw the other guy to the curb.

You can't just go around and throw stuff out there then hide behind a tree, which seems to be your particular style.

When you do, your posts continue to be a joke, at least to me. 

:popcorn:

Stay tuned, I guess.

Edited by coastal_caniac

Coastal, you just don't understand.  Losses are completely on Cam; defense plays no role.  Wins are the result of defensive play; goaltending has no effect.

Hang in there, Greg will teach you.

The thing is, this has the potential to be a great thread.

But either your fighting zombies or eating popcorn waiting on them.

I like defense too. :tripping:

Edited by coastal_caniac

1) If you haven't already, go watch "Trouble with the Curve"  (good movie, kinda tidy and predictable, but a good movie)

2) Understand the point the movie is trying to make about scouting (not the old guy vs. young guy point, the scouting part)

3) (This is the critical thinking part) Relate it to the goalie discussion, and how it applies.

After that, that's when the discussion actually gets interesting.  My opinion, of course.

Maybe two Ovechkins... Cam Ward wins us more games than the best forwards in the league win for their respective teams. Without Ward we are nothing...

Yep....   I'd hate to have two Ovechkins on our team.   :dizzy:

We already have a thread for goalie discussion, merged greg's post there (aka the bowels of this message board).

Maybe two Ovechkins... Cam Ward wins us more games than the best forwards in the league win for their respective teams. Without Ward we are nothing...

I wish I wasn't right... but taking into consideration the record this team has both last season and this season when Ward was/is injured, it's pretty clear.  We were at the top of the division before he went down last season and finished twenty-fifth.  This year Carolina got off to a good start and was in second place in the division until Ward went down.  Next thing you know it's a 5-game losing streak.  Ward detractors continue to argue that it's a coincidence...

So even at this stage, you would not trade Cam Ward for TWO Alex Ovi forwards (ex: Ovi and say Corey Perry)?

I think 99.99% of most neutral observers would trade Ward-O for both Ovi and Perry in a heart beat.  Really no questions about it.

Clearly this is all "what-if" kinda talk, but still it is interesting to see how some grossly overvalue their home town favs.

Nuff said.

Edited by Greg-N-Ral

These boards tend to implode when things aren't going the team's way.  I can't think of anytime in my memory that both NHL goalies on any major team were out due to injury in consecutive seasons, and that is very bad for us in the short term.  In the long term, we haven't had enough games to really see where our goaltending is at.  I do think our defense has improved, but without a NHL quality goalie, it'll be tough to figure out where that game is truly at.  Dobby looked outstanding, Cam didn't really have enough games for us to know about him before his injury.

While I understand this thread is about goalies, and I know that there are several Cam Ward detractors aboard....I think its important to note that just like the board's implosion of late, that this team implodes without Cam in net.  In other words, Cam must bring some kind of leadership that is lacking when he is absent.  Without Cam, Offensive production has slipped, and is that because of a lack of confidence in our current goalies by the forward lines?  They're afraid to cheat down, because they don't trust the netminder, and don't want the other team to even get a half step on them?  There are a great deal of pyschological and team integrity issues tied to these goalie injuries which go well beyond the stats, as evidenced by our slide.  The game against Philly the other night might have been a bit of a turning point.  Will Peters gain confidence enough to shut down the Isles?  Will the veteran leadership and FO wins of Manny fuel the forward lines' production?  Can the team move past the goalie injuries, and get in behind Peters and produce?  Tonight will be a test of that muster, and whether or not it is there with a Peters in net Hurricanes team.  This is all the drama that makes watching professional atheletics so intriguing, and frustrating.  The owners want a successful team that has a legitimate chance to make the playoffs, and if that doesn't happen, two things will happen.  1.  There will be coaching/management/team changes 2.  The team feels a lack of support from fans and moves to some city that wants them.  I'd like hockey to stay here, and hate to think of anything that would endanger the sport's existence here in the tarheel state.

This is all short-term stuff.  Dobby and Cam will both be back, and then maybe we can truly analyze where this team, and our goalies are at.  I'm as frustrated as many of you are, but I've been watching hockey a long time, and the sport has a lot of ups and downs, and here lately for us, much more downs than ups.  Maybe the team needs some drastic changes, but this season is 82 games long, and we're still early on in the first 1/4 of a long season.  Keep the faith through thick and thin.  Now we know how Whalers fans felt, but they endured, and still love the team, as should we all. 

Well put, fpsndiver. I for one appreciate the insight and reason that your post imparts. True that, that this team just seems to take on a different persona when Cam, with all his oft criticized flaws, gets into goal. Peters has undoubtedly played his heart out, and seems to be well respected by this team, but the arena atmosphere just feels different when anyone, beside Cam, is in net. It had begun to change with Doby, but as you suggest, we have just not had enough sampling to be absolutely sure. Hope he returns soon.

I'm not going to lie Cam Ward seems invisible out there lately. Let's look at the numbers for Cam Ward over the last 6 games.

0 saves

0 save percentage

0 wins

I'm not interested in shots against, they don't matter in this thread. Cam is definitely in a slump right now.

I'd trade Ward for a puppy. I think 99.99% of all neutral observers would trade Wardo for a puppy, they are cute and fuzzy. They do pee on the floor sometimes though. While Ward has had some messes on the ice, I don't think he has wet himself. You also don't have to get up at night to let him out. Puppies are cute though. They are so fuzzy and lick me on the nose. Ward has never licked me on the nose. This is a toughy, but I'd choose the puppy.

Peters and team passed the test tonight against a very tough Islanders team.  While I still don't think Peters is any savior for this team, his play tonight was good enough to do what we needed him to do.  Capitalize on offensive chances, shoot, and get this power play entry right so we can establish.

Peters played well but I'm even more excited about the defense in front of him.  Fantastic effort from the forwards and defensemen in supporting their goalie!  That's the difference... no matter the name on the goalie's jersey, solid defensive play makes or breaks a team.  This Peters is the same guy we have seen for years - capable but not a game changer.  With less pressure, thanks to his teammates, he can succeed.

Free puppies for EVERYONE!!

Edited by jb_online