The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Greg-N-Ral

All inclusive goalie discussion

JR will try to make a trade.  I state this as fact simply because with Peter's current play, somebody would most likely grab him on waivers when Ward and Kudo come back and somebody has to go to Charlotte.  It ain't going to be Ward or Kudo sent to Charlotte.  A team looking for some decent goaltending would probably take a stab at Peters on waivers because it wouldn't cost much.  I don't look for a lot if anything on a trade, but I'm sure JR will try.  A depth pick or somebody else's stalled prospect.

Isn't he up on emergency basis? Thus not waiver vulnerable?

I think the decision will be at the Chex level between Murphy and Muse. My guess is as soon as Ward is ready Murphy heads for Charlotte and once Dobby is ready Pete-dawg goes back too. I can't imagine we would trade Peters just yet. He has proven he can be relied on at least to the point we have confidence he can win at the NHL level. I don't think I would give up that comfort zone just yet.

I suppose Dobby could go to Charlotte on a conditioning stint but think that is unlikely.

It's scary to think about what our team GAA could look like with a healthy Ward/Khudobin.

We could have a problem early with Ward though. He's missed a lot of time due to these last two injuries and has played in only 8 games (counting the 4 minutes of play in the Wild game where he was injured). Historically, he has a tendancy to be a slow starter, but does better when he plays a lot. So there could be a period where he's fighting to get the rust off. But I'm beginning to wonder if a lot of what we've seen in previous years at the start of the season is more team rust than Ward rust. So if they guys keep clearing away 2nd and 3rd chances and keep the high quality chances down, Ward could come back just fine.

Edited by Gejustin

To each their own, however as long as Pete Dawg is winning, I would not remove him for an injury prone goalie or take the chance of dropping games with rusty play.. If playoffs is the goal, why not play hot goalie.. Ego's & inflated contracts need to be set aside and let this team win. The last few games have been great to watch...

Well we do have a back to back, so if Ward is ready I still think we see him tomorrow unless Peters just stands on his head.

I love what Peters has done, but one of these days a bunch of those juicy rebounds are going to suddenly end up in the back of the net. While I love how the team has cleared them, doing that night after night is playing w/ a loaded gun.

If Peters could develop some rebound control he could be an NHL goalie.

Then again, if a lot of minor league baseball players could hit a major league curveball….

I agree w rolling Peters out regularly so long as he keeps bringing it, and letting our goalies get fully healed, but at some point Peters is going back down. I would not trade him for a pick unless it was a steal. We may well need him yet.

If Ward is not backing up tonight, hard to imagine him starting tomorrow. Pete Dawg gets the back to back? 

Here are the key goalie stats for this year, as we approach mid-November

n= 9 JUSTIN PETERS     2.34-GAA     3-5-1    .922%      win%=33%      Salary=0.5-mil
n= 7 CAM WARD            2.81-GAA     2-2-3    .912%      win%=29%      Salary=6.5-mil
n=2  ANTON KHUDOBIN 2.00-GAA     2-0-0    .929%      win%=100%    Salary=0.8-mil 

Ranking on Save%
(the best single relative metric to evaluate a goalie)
KHUDOBIN #1
PETERS #2
WARD #3
---
Ranking on GAA
KHUDOBIN #1
PETERS #2
WARD #3
---
Ranking on Cap Space Salary (lower the better)
PETERS #1
KHUDOBIN #2
WARD #3

Cam goes 3-for-3 as the bottom feeder!

Naturally, as we said when we kicked this thread off again this year, some will NOT like this and will look to make all kinds of excuses.

Sorry, but for 2013-14, its about the numbers and NOT the excuses!

Naturally, we still got a lot more games to go!

Go Canes!!

Greg, I used to get frustrated at some of your invalid use of statistics, but it just hit me that you're actually a troll. I finally get it, thanks for the laugh!  :notworthy: 

Greg, I used to get frustrated at some of your invalid use of statistics, but it just hit me that you're actually a troll. I finally get it, thanks for the laugh!  :notworthy:

I tried to tell you Lake.  Ask Maniscalco. :coollaugh:  He loves to troll him as well.

Edited by coastal_caniac

So when you have nothing else to say, you ignore the data, attack the poster and make lame comments. Gottcha!

You guys need to wake up to the facts.  Or maybe keep your head in the sand and tell us how Cam Ward is an elite top-5 NHL goalie... LOL!!!

To each their own, however as long as Pete Dawg is winning, I would not remove him for an injury prone goalie or take the chance of dropping games with rusty play.. If playoffs is the goal, why not play hot goalie.. Ego's & inflated contracts need to be set aside and let this team win. The last few games have been great to watch...

Remember what happened when, can't remember if it was  Legace or Boucher , had settled in and had the Canes starting to win? Will this time be different? 

Edited by winger52

Pete was awesome last night and deserves a lot of credit. And who knows it just might be different this time... I still say ride the guys who are giving you the best chance to win no matter their name......... Muller appears to be doing that....... Pete is playing himself into a pay raise, here or somewhere...WOW a shoot-out win FINALLY.....

Agreed! Peters is definitely playing over his pay grade and seems to be getting very comfortable in the crease . I think that he has his game under control and does not try to overextend himself.

I see no reason to yank Peters out of the crease as long as it is productive. I don't think it is going to last forever, but sometimes a player gets on a roll and you don't question that, you roll right along.

I see no reason to yank Peters out of the crease as long as it is productive. I don't think it is going to last forever, but sometimes a player gets on a roll and you don't question that, you roll right along.

Agree. It's "ultra coach speak" but none the less true.

According to Mike Sundheim:

Justin Peters during 5-game homestand: 1.16 GAA, .958 SV%, stopped 138 of 144 shots, set a new career high w/ 5 consecutive . games w/o reg. loss.

He's a fighter and a survivor and I couldn't be any happier for him.  Not too many 3rd string guys can step up the way he has when the number 1 and 2 goalies go down and are out indefinitely. 

According to Mike Sundheim:

Justin Peters during 5-game homestand: 1.16 GAA, .958 SV%, stopped 138 of 144 shots, set a new career high w/ 5 consecutive . games w/o reg. loss.

He's a fighter and a survivor and I couldn't be any happier for him.  Not too many 3rd string guys can step up the way he has when the number 1 and 2 goalies go down and are out indefinitely. 

Agree with this and all who are saying you ride your hot goalie. Let's not forget that's how Cam became our #1. Won some hardware for it, as I recall...

Peters is 27 now and sees the door closing. He's making the most of a completely unexpected opportunity and I say good on him.

Edited by top-shelf-1

JR will try to make a trade.  I state this as fact simply because with Peter's current play, somebody would most likely grab him on waivers when Ward and Kudo come back and somebody has to go to Charlotte.  It ain't going to be Ward or Kudo sent to Charlotte.  A team looking for some decent goaltending would probably take a stab at Peters on waivers because it wouldn't cost much.  I don't look for a lot if anything on a trade, but I'm sure JR will try.  A depth pick or somebody else's stalled prospect.

Isn't he up on emergency basis? Thus not waiver vulnerable?

I just learned that even though Peters was an emergency recall, because he's played in 10 games he's subject to waivers if we send him back down (as per the new CBA) :facepalm2:

I just learned that even though Peters was an emergency recall, because he's played in 10 games he's subject to waivers if we send him back down (as per the new CBA) :facepalm2:

I just read that too. I was taken by surprise. I guess we have a decision to make soon. Peters could clear waivers as some teams will be looking for a more veteran goalie replacement. But its a big gamble.