The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Greg-N-Ral

All inclusive goalie discussion

I wonder if we might even keep 3 goalies on the roster for awhile once Kudo comes back. Partially as insurance to make sure the top 2 are healthy and also to feel out the rest of the league as to trade interest.  Peters is on a 1-way so we're paying him the same in the AHL as in the NHL.  The question is, who would we send down to make room on the roster.  Westgarth?

I wonder if we might even keep 3 goalies on the roster for awhile once Kudo comes back. Partially as insurance to make sure the top 2 are healthy and also to feel out the rest of the league as to trade interest.  Peters is on a 1-way so we're paying him the same in the AHL as in the NHL.  The question is, who would we send down to make room on the roster.  Westgarth?

I think this team needs 3 goalies for insurance so yours isn't such a bad idea.  Not sure who you send down but with the revolving door in the training room right now the decision will likely make itself.  I still think JR is positioning himself for a trade of some sort.

Still hoping somebody would get Cam's $6.5-mil salary off our roster via a trade!!

Sad thing is I doubt anybody would want to take him, so we're kinda stuck with him for now.

Still hoping somebody would get Cam's $6.5-mil salary off our roster via a trade!!

Sad thing is I doubt anybody would want to take him, so we're kinda stuck with him for now.

I agree, you'd think for $6.5 mil he'd be able to score at least one goal, right?

Was that you again on the aftermath? 

You know, the salary part of your never-ending crusade does make some sense. If they moved Cam's salary and say Gleason's they could sign a big name defenseman. It could open some serious payroll room...

Except for one thing. There are one or two blue chip free agents available each year, and they have 30 teams to pick from, at this point Carolina is not on most guy's short list, and they inevitably get way overpaid since everyone wants them. 

The grass is always greener, and everyone loves the back up. 

Ward has been injury prone of late, I'll give you that. 

Hopefully, now he will stay healthy long enough to show what he can do behind an improved defense. If he stays healthy and the defense stays strong and he is not stellar, I'll ease closer to your point of view. But not until then.

:woohoo:Looks like Peters gets the start tonight in Detroit.  Lord, please let him get a shut out and we have 4 goals.  That really is not asking for too much I don't think.

What is more likely tonight:   

A ) Justin getting a shutout
or
B )  The Canes scoring 4 goals?

I'll go (A) ... the shutout (55-45). 

Edited by Greg-N-Ral

A shut out is always nice but did you just jinx it by saying it?  ;)

Or does that only count if you're in the building?

What is more likely tonight:   

A ) Justin getting a shutout

or

B )  The Canes scoring 4 goals?

I'll go (A) ... the shutout (55-45). 

I'll go with neither (75-25)

I'm all for trading Cam now...keep Q-doba and Pete-dawg.  Use our 1st rounder to draft a decent goalie for the future.

Who wants a goalie making that kind of salary, with the save percentage he has the last 2 seasons, with the amount of games he has missed the last 2 seasons due to injury?  JR...that's who.  We are stuck with Cam, may as well face the music on that one.  Peters is the only reason we were even in that game last night.  Granted the first goal was iffy, but he played a great game.  I wonder what is about to happen with the goalie situation?  Do you think we will really carry 3?  If not, Peters or Kudo will probably be out due to reasons above.  Not going to be good!!

A shut out is always nice but did you just jinx it by saying it?  ;)

Yes :<

Who wants a goalie making that kind of salary, with the save percentage he has the last 2 seasons, with the amount of games he has missed the last 2 seasons due to injury?  JR...that's who.  We are stuck with Cam, may as well face the music on that one.  

Agree, but its hard for me to just except it.... a guy needs some hope doesn't he?

Greg, are u giving Mike  M   High blood pressure? :)

I hope not.  

But sure,  me and Mike certainly have went to the mat on a number of issues... most recently me defending Skins and Semin.

Its all in good fun -- talking sports --- even if you don't agree with the next guy.

I for one am very happy with having a buddy like Mike M doing shows around here!!!!

He does not sugar coat and rarely plays favorites like certain TV color commentators tend to do.

We can quote stats all we want, but we're also fans with eyes. 

Ignoring the big picture for a moment, can we all agree that against the Sens on Sunday Ward stood on his head to keep us from going down 2 or 3 zip, which in all likelihood given our recent performances would have been too big an obstacle for the team to overcome?

And that his highlight reel save will also be a save of the year candidate?  

I for one can agree that Ward stood on his head against the Sens and will add he was pretty good against the B's too. The highlight reel save was jaw dropping. It was  awesome and I love what Ward said about the save.

It was almost like I turned into a little kid again and thought in my head how that was a pretty cool save. It was great to see the way the crowd reacted after the save and it definitely gave me goose bumps.

Yeap, Ward has had 2 strong back to back performances.  I HOPE that he can be consistent with it and avoid further injuries.  With the salary that he makes, we need him to be the number one, cause there is not going to be many teams jumping to make a trade unless we eat salary, like recently with Pens.  I am anxious to see what Kudo will bring as the backup.  I hope that he looks as good as he did prior to the injury.  That could help tremendously!  We need him to push Ward.  Haven't seen much lately of his progress.  Anyone know when he is speculating returning to the lineup?

There's a pattern here. Cam plays great when his #1 position is threatened, and gets lax once he's secured it again. If platooning goalies gives Cam the incentive he needs to play well in every start he gets, that's what we need to do, regardless how much coin he's pulling down. This team played better for Peters and scored more wins with fewer goals than it has for Cam since he's been back. 

Time to face facts.

After feeling like Khudobin was better than Cam at the beginning of the season, Peters has proved recently he can play when needed, why not dump Cam while we can? It's been years since the Canes have been in the playoffs, Cam lets in a ton of soft goals in the first periods of games. I know when I sit down at the PNC for game time, I feel better having Peters or Khudobin in net. Cam is to hot and cold for consistency in my opinion. Why not trade him for a forward that can add some offense?