The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Greg-N-Ral

All inclusive goalie discussion

That's it, trade the goalie on the upswing to keep an injured ( is it 2 or 3 times this half season? ) goalie who over a 7 year span struggles to be .500

It would be really interesting to read what some might write if we end up moving Ward and going w/ Peters and he reverts to form...

Looks like we'll get another look at Peters tomorrow. 

I like that Peters has improved, but are you really sold on him long term, Winger? 

Edited by remkin

With Dr. Khu showing that he's a starter and Peters looking like more than just a backup, I'll say lets keep those two. Sometimes you just have to go with your gut and percentages.

Edited by winger52

Gotta say I'm starting to really believe in Khudobin. Not sold on Peters, supposed to see him tomorrow though, so prove me wrong!

Now all we have to do is watch the injury reports. If we can find A GM with a recent head injury, maybe we can convince him that 6+ million is not that much money.

vezina_zps67b7bd3a.jpg

Just having a little fun with you Greg-n-ral ;)

LOVE IT!!!  

Also, can we get him one for his ALL TIME BEST Career Save % among NHL goalies with more than 25 NHL games.

Yep, of all the goalies to EVER play 25+ games in the NHL, Anton's 93.3% ranks #1 all time!

Mike Manscalco mentioned Ward's injury last night during the Aftermath. He said Cam woke up the next morning after that spectacular win on New Years Eve saying he didn't feel right. He was only suppose to be out for the road trip, but has been extended. Khudobin is still working his way back. His play last night was great, but there were times he put himself out of the net with his aggressiveness. If we were playing a high skill team instead of a grinding team, the outcome could very well be different.

With the way Khudobin is playing, ride him until Cam can return at 100%.

Edited by hopper915

I'm worried that Peter's issues may be more between the ears than between the pipes (as in not reacting well to pressure).  And that after two poor starts, and with Kudo back and performing well, he may be feeling extra pressure and his next start may not be a great one.  I hope I'm wrong, but I'd like to see Kudo in net against the Slugs and Pete starting one of the following back-to-back games instead of the Buffalo game tomorrow.

I'd say the bulk of their play is between their ears. When they are riding high on confidence and they are focused, they see the puck the size of a beach ball and make the obscene saves look pretty easy. 

You see it around the league. Look at L.A. as an example. When Quick went down, they called up Martin Jones. And all he did was run 8 games in a row and 3 shut-outs over a 5 game stretch, 2 of those in a row. He took the reigns and ran with it.

I'd only play Peters when it comes necessary and ride Khudobin until he says he needs a night off.

Edited by hopper915

At some point you have to play Peters. Khudobin can probable handle the work but do we really want to ride him into the ground. Peters also needs to know we have the confidence he can be a reliable backup. He has also earned the right to play.  When Ward comes back it is different but for right now I would start Pete-dawg in the next couple of games.

It will be up to Peters to earn the right to get a start after that.

I don't know, we need points now while we're in the underbelly. Khudobin is still pretty hot. Ultimately we also need to decide if Khudobin is for real. We're on a winning streak... 

I would go back to Khudobin tomorrow, then Peters vs. Toronto or Columbus. Probably Toronto. That would give Khudobin two days off between the next two starts after tomorrow, and let him start 4 of the next 5. 

I wonder what kind of offers JR might be getting for Peters (or Ward for that matter). 

At some point we will need to lock Khudobin down, but the man wants badly to be a number one, so would he sign here w/ Cam still around? Maybe be a bit of a catch 22, because if the plan is Khudobin and Ward, we might have to pick at the end of the year. 

Anyways, if put Khudobin in their tomorrow, and Peters on all back to backs, Khudo will have at least 2 days off between starts all the way to MARCH, w/ Peters staring only 4 games vs Khudo 10. 

Of course this all leaves Cam out, but I'm just saying that it works with those two.

Edited by remkin

I'm thinking Dobby next two and Peters in Columbus. Everything will depend on Ward's injury and any pending trade if there is a pending trade.

I'd say the bulk of their play is between their ears. When they are riding high on confidence and they are focused, they see the puck the size of a beach ball and make the obscene saves look pretty easy. 

You see it around the league. Look at L.A. as an example. When Quick went down, they called up Martin Jones. And all he did was run 8 games in a row and 3 shut-outs over a 5 game stretch, 2 of those in a row. He took the reigns and ran with it.

I'd only play Peters when it comes necessary and ride Khudobin until he says he needs a night off.

I don't think KhuDoo is the type to make that request. I think mgmt has to make sure they don't ride him to the point of damage. 

At some point you have to play Peters. Khudobin can probable handle the work but do we really want to ride him into the ground. Peters also needs to know we have the confidence he can be a reliable backup. He has also earned the right to play.  When Ward comes back it is different but for right now I would start Pete-dawg in the next couple of games.

It will be up to Peters to earn the right to get a start after that.

Agree with all of the above.  I'm thinking one of the back-to-back games is the place to put Peters back into net.  I'd love it if he plays like the Peters immediately before his last 2 games and makes decisions that much tougher for Muller! 

Oh, and has anyone noticed that Peters and KhuDoo are almost opposites stylistically? KhuDoo is flopping around all over the ice in positions you'll never see in the goalie instruction manuals.  Peters drops into a butterfly and stays in that position for what seems like minutes on end before returning to his feet. Hey, to each his own as long as it works.  One thing I will say; if Kudo becomes our #1, I'd want a backup I trust to take over for extended stretches if needed; I've got a feeling that Kudo's style of play will expose him to injury more-so than a typical goalie. 

TSN: Darren Dreger reports “there is no question” the Edmonton Oilers would consider trading Sam Gagner. “The expected rate of return would be a top-six forward, a top-four defenceman or a starting goalie”, reports Dreger.

SPECTOR’S NOTE: Gagner on his own could fetch those returns. Package him with their 2014 first round pick (which could be first overall) and the Oilers could get a top-line forward, top-two defenseman or a star goaltender.

TSN: Darren Dreger reports “there is no question” the Edmonton Oilers would consider trading Sam Gagner. “The expected rate of return would be a top-six forward, a top-four defenceman or a starting goalie”, reports Dreger.

SPECTOR’S NOTE: Gagner on his own could fetch those returns. Package him with their 2014 first round pick (which could be first overall) and the Oilers could get a top-line forward, top-two defenseman or a star goaltender.

Why on earth would we go for this guy again? Why the heck does Edmonton think he can fetch so high of a return? Statistically I am not impressed at all with this forward. Could someone please enlighten me as to what the deal is with this guy?

Yeah, I hear ya. Didn't check the stats til now. Doesn't really impress at all. How is that top 6?

Just thought I'd post it since I heard rumblings about him. Didn't know we ever went after him before.

Well, here at the mid-point Peters owns the 11th best save% in the NHL this year!!    

Not bad at all.

Maybe so, Greg, but to the "eye test" rather than the oft quoted "statistics", to me, he appears to be regressing.

How amazing would it be if we got Shea Weber for Cam Ward? Highly unlikely, but that would be a great trade. Their contract value is about fair, but then again, Ward is the most overpaid goalie in the league.

Don't forget that Nashville has their franchise goalie in Pekka Rinne, who is out hurt right now, so it won't happen because of that.

Right now, with the way Khudobin is playing, he has the biggest return possibility IF the Canes were to decide on trading a goalie.

Edited by hopper915

Don't forget that Nashville has their franchise goalie in Pekka Rinne, who is out hurt right now, so it won't happen because of that.

Right now, with the way Khudobin is playing, he has the biggest return possibility IF the Canes were to decide on trading a goalie.

Yeah, I know Pekka Rinne is their star goalie. But Mazanec isn't exactly top game, so it wouldn't surprise me if they shipped him elsewhere and put Cam Ward in as an alternative.

Trading Khudobin right now would be beyond idiotic, and it would send a very negative message to the fan-base.

Edited by Kyrule