The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Greg-N-Ral

All inclusive goalie discussion

The one thing about a poll only, is that the lack of comments causes the thread to drift to the bottom.

So I'll update here.

28 votes:

68% trade Ward

32% don't trade Ward

I just can't find comfort in Peters.

To those w/ the great rules knowledge, if a team claims a guy off waivers they have to keep him w/ the club for a period of time don't they? So if someone picked up Peters they couldn't just send him down, despite salary.

If JR can't get much for Peters, it might mean no one else is too convinced either. Of course right now w/ Ward out, we kind of have to keep Peters around, so it could be that....

It's still amazing to me that some can still heap all this blame on any goalie when this team is 25th in PP efficiency and 25th on the PK. This has been going on for years.

There is no doubt Peters didn't respond as needed against TB but I'm not sure he should be thrown onto the rejection pile just yet, He did keep us in the hunt when both our goalies were hurt. He has been sitting for 3 weeks since Dobby got back. I'm not going to cut hm too much slack but does anybody think he should get another start before we make up our mind?

It's the same thing that's been going on with Peters for a while. He has to play consistently to produce results like he did earlier in the season. He didn't play for 3 weeks and look how he did last night. Even when he does get some consistent playing time, he's still not as solid as you'd like your average "starter" to be in terms of his rebound control and positioning.

It's tough, and really not possible to have that trend in performance and play a backup role.

Khudobin is much more consistent and definitely looks to have the most starter potential between the two. IMO it's time to move on from Peters seeing that we currently have better options in front of us.

There is no doubt Peters didn't respond as needed against TB but I'm not sure he should be thrown onto the rejection pile just yet, He did keep us in the hunt when both our goalies were hurt. He has been sitting for 3 weeks since Dobby got back. I'm not going to cut hm too much slack but does anybody think he should get another start before we make up our mind?

I think JR would be crazy to do anything until they're sure they have 3 healthy goaltenders.  The worst thing that could happen is they trade one of them and find out one isnt ready to play at 100%.

I didn't vote in the latest Ward poll because I just don't have enough information.  I'd like to know much more about his medical condition since coming back from his groin injury in order to try to make some sense of his immediate past performance, in order to try to make some projection as to his likely future performance.  After about the first 10 minutes in his first game back, Ward played brilliantly for the next 3.66 games.  And I don't use the term "brilliantly" lightly. And then he went significantly downhill until he went out on IR again. 

We've heard that Ward came back before he was 100%.  But he played great over a span of just under 4 games when he first came back.  So was he close enough to 100% to allow him to play brilliantly for awhile, but not completely healed and re-injured whatever towards the end of that 4th game back? Or was that (almost) 4 game streak just a random variation?  Without more knowledge about his actual medical condition, we have no way to know.  Hopefully managment, armed with the detailed medical info they aren't sharing, can make some sense of that seeming anomaly and use that to guide them in making the best decision for the Canes at this point in time.

Edited by LakeLivin

The last I read Ward was progressing...whatever that means

I think you can look that up in the same place you find the translation for "lower body injury". :grin:

I think you can look that up in the same place you find the translation for "lower body injury". :grin:

:thumbsup:

I remember when Pitkanen was progressing and was going to be ready to report for camp.

Yah...but Pits didn't try to rush it like Cam did...

At this point, I'm totally for cutting him loose and keeping Q-doba and Pete-dawg (with the caveat we draft a goalie with our 1st or 2nd this year).

Above truly is the most ridiculous post I've ever read here!

We the fans, the full season ticket holders, paying THOUSANDS of dollars each year, need to repay Cam for his loyalty and all he has done for us, while he's made $35-million dollars over the last seven years!!!  

Yet again, despite the Canes now being in 12th place out of 15 in the East this year, its okay that Cam eats up $6.5 million in cap space,,, ...  the main thing is we owe  Cam and him being paid over $35-million is not even close to fair for what he has had to endure while living and playing here in Raleigh.   

Wow. You'd think someone attending that many games would have learned a thing or two about hockey. I know you spent big bucks for that Peters sweater - is that what's clouded your objectivity? And BTW, when exactly did JR show up at your doorstep with a gun and demand you become an STH??

All joking aside, Greg-N-Ral, I think everybody here "gets" it - you want to trade Cam. Fair enough. But faulting him for our failures in recent years is counter to everything anyone who has worked in or played hockey at a high level will tell you, which is simply this: TEAMS win divisions. GOALTENDING wins Cups. Faulting Ward for our team's laziness and total lack of heart in recent years is as ridiculous as suggesting that Khudobin or Peters will fix that. They won't. Until we can put the puck in the net first most nights - or at least not spot opponents 4-goal leads - nothing will change.

I'd have loved to hear your reaction to TBL scoring three on Ward, versus what (I'm confident) was your excuse-making for Peters. If the defense fails, it fails no matter WHO is in net, which is the point many here have been making. And the one you have consistently refused to acknowledge, despite the sheafs of stats people have been posting to back it up.

You don't like Cam. We get it. But with "your boys" having started the majority of games this season, look where we STILL are in the standings. Regular season and playoff hockey are two completely different things, and until we can produce the offense to win consistently in the regular season, and the defense to shut down the third-period rallies of other teams, the goaltending situation is - and will remain - the least of our worries.  

Edited by top-shelf-1

Yah...but Pits didn't try to rush it like Cam did...

At this point, I'm totally for cutting him loose and keeping Q-doba and Pete-dawg (with the caveat we draft a goalie with our 1st or 2nd this year).

My point is, don't read too much into the term "making progress". I wasn't defending Ward.

Wow. You'd think someone attending that many games would have learned a thing or two about hockey. I know you spent big bucks for that Peters sweater - is that what's clouded your objectivity? And BTW, when exactly did JR show up at your doorstep with a gun and demand you become an STH??

All joking aside, Greg-N-Ral, I think everybody here "gets" it - you want to trade Cam. Fair enough. But faulting him for our failures in recent years is counter to everything anyone who has worked in or played hockey at a high level will tell you, which is simply this: TEAMS win divisions. GOALTENDING wins Cups. Faulting Ward for our team's laziness and total lack of heart in recent years is as ridiculous as suggesting that Khudobin or Peters will fix that. They won't. Until we can put the puck in the net first most nights - or at least not spot opponents 4-goal leads - nothing will change.

I'd have loved to hear your reaction to TBL scoring three on Ward, versus what (I'm confident) was your excuse-making for Peters. If the defense fails, it fails no matter WHO is in net, which is the point many here have been making. And the one you have consistently refused to acknowledge, despite the sheafs of stats people have been posting to back it up.

You don't like Cam. We get it. But with "your boys" having started the majority of games this season, look where we STILL are in the standings. Regular season and playoff hockey are two completely different things, and until we can produce the offense to win consistently in the regular season, and the defense to shut down the third-period rallies of other teams, the goaltending situation is - and will remain - the least of our worries.  

One of the best sentences to come out this thread imo.

I may be over-posting this but it was written on TSN today that Minnesota are desperate for help in the goaltending position.  Could be interesting to our goaltending debate

The Minnesota Wild are struggling with injuries to both of their goalies,Niklas Backstrom and Josh HardingMichael Russo of the Minneapolis Star-Tribune reports that Wild GM Chuck Fletcher has talked trade with some teams, but the market is drying up with Devan Dubnyk and Ben Scrivens now off the board after they were moved last week. Russo says the team has talked internally about signing free agent Jose Theodore in case they need some insurance. Theodore is living in South Florida and has been working out throughout the season just in case a call comes.

I may be over-posting this but it was written on TSN today that Minnesota are desperate for help in the goaltending position.  Could be interesting to our goaltending debate

The Minnesota Wild are struggling with injuries to both of their goalies,Niklas Backstrom and Josh HardingMichael Russo of the Minneapolis Star-Tribune reports that Wild GM Chuck Fletcher has talked trade with some teams, but the market is drying up with Devan Dubnyk and Ben Scrivens now off the board after they were moved last week. Russo says the team has talked internally about signing free agent Jose Theodore in case they need some insurance. Theodore is living in South Florida and has been working out throughout the season just in case a call comes.

I like the guy so I hate to say it, but I fear the ship has sailed as far as any trade value for Peters.  Given his last 3 games I don't think another team is going to buy the argument that he has transformed into an NHL goalie and give up anything of value for him without further proof that things have turned around.  And at this point, how do you give him games to try to show that, when each one may well prove critical to our making the playoffs?

Edited by LakeLivin

What stinks is when he was hot we needed him and that was the peak of his worth. It's only now that he's cold with Khudobin back he's expendable.

I like the guy so I hate to say it, but I fear the ship has sailed as far as any trade value for Peters.  Given his last 3 games I don't think another team is going to buy the argument that he has transformed into an NHL goalie and give up anything of value for him without further proof that things have turned around.  And at this point, how do you give him games to try to show that, when each one may well prove critical to our making the playoffs?

I don't know if I'd go that far. I had heard, can't remember where, that Edmonton made an offer for Peters before they got Scrivens, but Rutherford turned it down.

Faulting Ward for our team's laziness and total lack of heart in recent years is as ridiculous as suggesting that Khudobin or Peters will fix that. 

Agree with TSA. This is a homerun.

Edited by Gejustin

I don't know if I'd go that far. I had heard, can't remember where, that Edmonton made an offer for Peters before they got Scrivens, but Rutherford turned it down.

If true, it must've really been a low ball figure

If true, it must've really been a low ball figure

Or JR has something else cooking. Until we know how Ward is and how he is playing it would be risky to make a goalie move.