The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Greg-N-Ral

All inclusive goalie discussion

JR  has more fires  going  [  trades to be made] during the regular season, over the years, curious how many have been made??? Whos the going back in times stats person?  I mean back to lets say  2007..

Stats?  Stats??  Someone ask for stats?????  YAY!!!!

Ask and you shall receive.

Source:  http://www.nhltradetracker.com/user/trade_list_by_team/Carolina_Hurricanes/1

Trades in season:  

2013-14 = 2  *Of mention, Liles for Gleason

2012-13 = 4  *Of mention, Nothing for Jokinen, Westgarth for Stewart

2011-12 = 2  *Spacek for Kaberle

2010-11 = 6 *Allen for Samsonov, 2nd round pick (Brock McGinn) for Ian White

2009-10 = 8 *Alexandre Picard for Matt Cullen, Jiri Tlusty for rights to Philippe Paradis 

2008-09 = 3 *Patrick O'Sullivan and pick Brian Dumoulin (which we traded for Staal) for Justin WIlliams, Jokinen for Brookbank and                            Melichar

2007-08 = 4 *Ruutu for Ladd, Corvo and Eaves for Commodore and Stillman, Nothing for Craig Adams

Take what you want from this :)

I don't think anyone's ever said the man can't sell ice to an eskimo but he's rough at contracts and if his pick isn't in the top 5 he's not the greatest drafter.

I don't think anyone's ever said the man can't sell ice to an eskimo but he's rough at contracts and if his pick isn't in the top 5 he's not the greatest drafter.

...but other than that, he's great.

Source:  http://www.nhltradetracker.com/user/trade_list_by_team/Carolina_Hurricanes/1

Trades in season:  

2009-10 = 8 *Alexandre Picard for Matt Cullen, Jiri Tlusty for rights to Philippe Paradis 

2008-09 = 3 *Patrick O'Sullivan and pick Brian Dumoulin (which we traded for Staal) for Justin WIlliams, Jokinen for Brookbank and                            Melichar

2007-08 = 4 *Ruutu for Ladd, Corvo and Eaves for Commodore and Stillman, Nothing for Craig Adams

Interesting. Thanks for putting that up there. 

Trades in season:  

Some of these trades you listed aren't correct.  You also left out trades that were also made during the times you listed.

Trades in season:  

Take what you want from this :)    Thanks!

Some of these trades you listed aren't correct.  You also left out trades that were also made during the times you listed.

I cited my source, sorry if I made some errors.  I didn't list all the trades that I felt were not mentionable.  Also, I only put the in-season trades as was requested.

I cited my source, sorry if I made some errors.  I didn't list all the trades that I felt were not mentionable.  Also, I only put the in-season trades as was requested.

A couple that I think would be mentionable would be flipping POS for Cole and picking up Stillman at the deadline.

Or JR has something else cooking. Until we know how Ward is and how he is playing it would be risky to make a goalie move.

I think we keep all three until we see how Cam does( how many games to shake off the rust again ), how the team reacts, and if he can stay healthy for more than a couple of weeks.

Sorry, wasn't trying to offend.  Thanks for putting those up. 

I probably should have said-

if you read through the link, you forget some trades for players that are long gone.  You can also see some of the ones that didn't turn out so well.  Like having to send 2 draft picks to the KIngs so they would take Stewart off our hands and we get stuck with "The Pylon."

Edited by coastal_caniac

How do the AHL rehab rules work? Can Ward do a couple Charlotte rehab starts?

Edited by remkin

At this point in time and with the team starting to play consistently good enough to make a run for a playoff spot, I don't know that it makes much sense to move any goalie. 

Realistically, how much is Peters worth? He had a great run but started to fall back down to earth and no one knows exactly what Cam's status and potential to stay healthy is.   IMO, Justin Peters deserves to be let go one way or another for a chance to establish himself at the NHL level permanently.  I doubt its ever going to happen here in Raleigh for him.

Cam certainly has the potential to play the elite level we've seen him play at but what we don't know is if he can get back to that level.  And if he does, can he maintain that level and stay healthy?  And of course as we've been reminded on so many occasions, Cam's contract makes it challenging to move him.

Too many questions for a team on the bubble that has a chance to make a run for it.  I don't think JR is any position, at this point in the season, to move any of the goalies.  Unless.........there's some desperate GM out there willing to make a deal that JR would be a fool to pass on.

Sorry, wasn't trying to offend.  Thanks for putting those up. 

I probably should have said-

if you read through the link, you forget some trades for players that are long gone.  You can also see some of the ones that didn't turn out so well.  Like having to send 2 draft picks to the KIngs so they would take Stewart off our hands and we get stuck with "The Pylon."

All good.  :)

Agree with everything you said. But can we afford 3-4 games for Cam to shake off the rust? Could he do a rehab stint in

Charlotte like Dobby did, of is Cam somehow ineligible or exempt from that? Agree on Peters--but he just has a one year

contract. Is he a UFA next year?  If so, he can move on in search of another NHL contract then.

At this point in time and with the team starting to play consistently good enough to make a run for a playoff spot, I don't know that it makes much sense to move any goalie. 

Realistically, how much is Peters worth? He had a great run but started to fall back down to earth and no one knows exactly what Cam's status and potential to stay healthy is.   IMO, Justin Peters deserves to be let go one way or another for a chance to establish himself at the NHL level permanently.  I doubt its ever going to happen here in Raleigh for him.

Cam certainly has the potential to play the elite level we've seen him play at but what we don't know is if he can get back to that level.  And if he does, can he maintain that level and stay healthy?  And of course as we've been reminded on so many occasions, Cam's contract makes it challenging to move him.

Too many questions for a team on the bubble that has a chance to make a run for it.  I don't think JR is any position, at this point in the season, to move any of the goalies.  Unless.........there's some desperate GM out there willing to make a deal that JR would be a fool to pass on.

Agree with everything you said. But can we afford 3-4 games for Cam to shake off the rust? Could he do a rehab stint in

Charlotte like Dobby did, of is Cam somehow ineligible or exempt from that? Agree on Peters--but he just has a one year

contract. Is he a UFA next year?  If so, he can move on in search of another NHL contract then.

That's the million dollar question.  Where the Canes are right now.....my guess would be no, they can't afford to give Cam 3-4 games to shake off rust.  I think he's eligible for a rehab stint and I'm sure they'll give him that chance to work out the rust in Charlotte before putting him back in the net.  If Cam proves to be healthy and ready to play, Peters will be moved.  This has to be one of the strangest goalie situations.

That's why I asked the rehab question a few posts ago. 

The biggest fear of putting Cam back in, is that he is notoriously rusty to start. A few games in Charlotte were good for Khudbin and should be good for Cam. The risk of putting him back in an having him get shellacked, is also a confidence thing. Let it happen somewhat out of view in a "we know you're just warming up" situation.

Agree that we can't afford Ward shaking off the rust for 3-4 games.  But Kudo is already starting to look less fresh, and mgmt clearly has little faith in Peters.  And I get the feeling that's way longer then Ward would require.  Kudo looked pretty good after 2 games with CHA to shake off the rust, and he was not only out for a much longer time, but he'd also played just a few games since last season.  And when Ward came back last time he looked rusty for about 10 minutes then played brilliantly for the next 3.66 games, THEN he went bad.  I'm still wondering what was up with that and what it might mean when he comes back this time . . .

While I'm pulling for Kudo, I'm not ready to put all my eggs in that basket. The fact that he's small and plays a relatively "wild" style has me worried about a high risk of injury.  And we've still not seen how he would bear up under a full NHL season.  His full AHL seasons have been good but nowhere near as gaudy as his limited NHL numbers might suggest.  

I'd love to end up with a 1A and 1B tandem next year if Ward comes back strong.  It might be tough to convince Kudo to take that role, but I wouldn't rule it out, especially if we can put together a nice run the rest of this year.     

While I'm pulling for Kudo, I'm not ready to put all my eggs in that basket. The fact that he's small and plays a relatively "wild" style has me worried about a high risk of injury.  And we've still not seen how he would bear up under a full NHL season.  His full AHL seasons have been good but nowhere near as gaudy as his limited NHL numbers might suggest.  

I'd love to end up with a 1A and 1B tandem next year if Ward comes back strong.  It might be tough to convince Kudo to take that role, but I wouldn't rule it out, especially if we can put together a nice run the rest of this year.     

Would management be ready to put $10 million into goaltending though for that tandem?

Would management be ready to put $10 million into goaltending though for that tandem?

I know some fans here think Kudo will command $4mil on the open market, but for the reasons I listed above I just don't see teams going that high unless Kudo is close to spectacular for at least another 20 games or so this year (with maybe even a good playoff showing added in). I'm wondering whether a $2 - $3m 1 year bridge contract might do the trick. Pure speculation on my part as to what Kudo's going rate will be and what he will be looking for on the open market.  And the essence of your question still stands, even if you reduce $10 million to $8 - $9m; would the Canes want to invest that much in goal? If Ward comes back strong, that seems like a good investment for a year to me if we could get it, especially given my injury concerns about both of them.  We'd need to dump salary (Ruutu) given some of the players we're going to need to re-sign.      I'll be curious as to what others here think (except Greg, I already know what he thinks :P ).

Edited by LakeLivin

I'll bite. If we could get Khudobin to go for a goalie tandum, best man starts situation, I'd pay him up to $3 million or maybe more.

The cap is going up. Even if Ward returns to form, he has been far more injury prone and might remain so.

A quick look at this team's history since the cup win having a strong second goalie is a real good idea.

I'd love to be able to keep both goalies next year. At the beginning of this year this is what we all wanted,each goalie to push each other and to have 2 solid goalies. I'd go 3.2 mil to Kudo. Kudo has also shown recent signs of tiring. Missed a few saves with slower reactions, especially going post to post. I would have to think that putting in a healthy Cam when Kudo needs a break is still a better option than going with Pete. Pete has to be just as rusty since becoming a fixture at the end of the bench.

Rutherford's a goalie himself. I think he'll go to the mat to keep Cam and Khudo. Khudo proving his NHL mettle and giving us an A and A-1 was the whole point of bringing him here, so if I were management I'd be tickled pink that its worked out. We essentially have two horses to ride while Cam takes as long as he need to get to 100 percent, and already know that getting "up" for playoff games has never been an issue for him.

With the offense starting to gel, the people holding the pursestrings would be fools not to pay Khudobin, especially with the cap going up (not to mention the way ticket prices already have, despite a mediocre on-ice product).