The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Greg-N-Ral

All inclusive goalie discussion

Topshelf, you are right. Cam Ward is worth that 6.7m. Especially since he always has the ability to stay healthy season after season and his uncanny ability to make incredible high glove saves. The stats speak for themselves. Especially his elite career reg season GAA...

I also forgot to mention Ward's consistency on a nightly basis. He is one of the few goalies I know that shows uo every single game and he plays lights out. I don't remember the last game where Ward let in a softie. I rank him . Ight up there with Hasek. 6.7m well spent....

Dude, he's played a total of 36 games in the past two seasons due to injury. He has won far more games than he's lost - I mean, it's not even close. But YOU'RE right. Let's not give him the benefit of the doubt. Let's wager everything on Peters instead. I'd love to meet you at a poker table sometime - it'd be like taking candy from a baby.

JR has no choice but to carry 3 netminders for the rest of this season.  Hell, neither Anton or Pete dog cost him much, and he can't get rid of Cam's $6.6+ price tag to anyone, so why not keep them all for now.   He knows Cam will be hurt again after he sees a few starts anyway.

Topshelf, you are right. Cam Ward is worth that 6.7m. Especially since he always has the ability to stay healthy season after season and his uncanny ability to make incredible high glove saves. The stats speak for themselves. Especially his elite career reg season GAA...

Obviously getting cut by someone else's skate and getting run into by the other team is Cam Ward's fault. I'll buy that. He should have prepared harder in the offseason so his skin was tougher and the skate wouldn't have penetrated. He obviously doesn't prepare well enough.

Edited by Gejustin

My prediction is that .927 of all people who read this thread will continue to be annoyed with the opinions of people that use logic better suited for a spin room following a presidential debate than an actual meaningful discussion, the only bright spot being it is about a sports topic and not the future of our nation.

:goodpost:  Perfect description!

If ya'll want to see a "bad goalie" can anyone break out the game tapes on Weekes? When we used to lose seemingly every game in the last 10 minutes.

Gerber won us the cup in 06. He secured us home ice.

This is the most ridiculous post I've seen on these boards ever. Gerber was a journeyman goalie who played with a hot team in '06 and played his way out of the league within 2 years thereafter. Perhaps the 06 team "secured" home ice because"

1. Eric Staal scored 40 goals and scored 100 points.

2. We had scoring options (before acquiring Recchi and Weight) such as Staal, Whitney, Stillman, Justin Williams, Erik Cole, Rod B., and Cullen (for a 3rd line center) among others

3. We played an attacking style and had a remarkable ability to come back and win games in the 3rd period.

4. We had a sturdy if not spectacular defense anchored by 2 veterans (Wesley and Hedican).

5. We had great VETERAN leadership from guys like Rod, Wesley, Hedican, Stillman, and Kevyn Adams.

We have not had any of the above since 06-07.

Under the pressure of the playoffs, Gerber lost the first 2 games of the first series to Montreal on the all-important home ice. Someone came in and bailed out the team in the Montreal series and won the Conn-Smythe in doing so.

Get real.

This is the most ridiculous post I've seen on these boards ever. Gerber was a journeyman goalie who played with a hot team in '06 and played his way out of the league within 2 years thereafter. Perhaps the 06 team "secured" home ice because"

2. We had scoring options (before acquiring Recchi and Weight) such as Staal, Whitney, Stillman, Justin Williams, Erik Cole, Rod B., and Cullen (for a 3rd line center) among others

3. We played an attacking style and had a remarkable ability to come back and win games in the 3rd period.

4. We had a sturdy if not spectacular defense anchored by 2 veterans (Wesley and Hedican).

5. We had great VETERAN leadership from guys like Rod, Wesley, Hedican, Stillman, and Kevyn Adams.

Under the pressure of the playoffs, Gerber lost the first 2 games of the first series to Montreal on the all-important home ice. Someone came in and bailed out the team in the Montreal series and won the Conn-Smythe in doing so.

Get real.

Ding!!

And what gives me more hope than I have had since 06 is our addition of veterans. Sekera, Liles and Malhotra being in the room is huge. Eric still is not leading like other captains of his $tatu$ around the league do. Until he plays every shift with the intensity that (finally) showed up after that last-minute penalty call vs. Winnipeg, we will continue to rely on other players to lead the offense. HIs sole focus needs to be exhorting the entire team to score the first goal EVERY night. 

Get real.

We also had much better special teams - something that has been unaddressed to this point.  But not for lack of trying, IMO... it's just not there for some reason.

...didn't we used to have a 'shrugging' emoticon?

Absolutely right. Our PP and PK have pretty much sat near the bottom of the league for the past 5 years despite personnel and coaching changes. Just average PP this year would probably translate into 3-4 more wins.

Absolutely right. Our PP and PK have pretty much sat near the bottom of the league for the past 5 years despite personnel and coaching changes. Just average PP this year would probably translate into 3-4 more wins.

Cam Ward's fault, he's the constant.

Kidding aside, I couldn't agree more about just have a mediocre power play translate to a couple more wins. Those wins put us even with the number 2-3 teams in the Metro with games in hand maybe even comfortably in second. We have the firepower, what going to make it work? It pretty much has to work.

Edited by Gejustin

Cam Ward's fault, he's the constant.

Kidding aside, I couldn't agree more about just have a mediocre power play translate to a couple more wins. Those wins put us even with the number 2-3 teams in the Metro with games in hand maybe even comfortably in second. We have the firepower, what going to make it work? It pretty much has to work.

It's been getting better this year (finally), but we still have too many "non traditional" PP goals, i.e., we don't set up anything, just take quick shots on gaining the zone. Imagine if we set up and worked a pass to Gerbe like Sekera did on his last goal. The Bolts lived on that play for years, with St. Louis feeding Vinny. All it takes is establishing that *kind* of threat to open up others, but we won't benefit from any of them until we CONSISTENTLY SET UP in the O-zone. That we don't drives me freaking crazy.

So after last nights effort from K-man, both Cam Ward and have Anton
have both played in 19 games and started 18 this season.

Here's how the $6.5-million dollar/year cap-space-eating Ward-0 compares to our new #1 Goalie, ANTON KHUDOBIN...

ANTON KHUDOBIN         GAA 2.09;         13 wins;        .930 Save%
CAM WARD                     GAA 3.15;          6 wins;         .895 Save%

Major props to Mr. Khudobin!!!

With you in net we still have a shot for the playoffs... Go Canes, Go K-man!

Now there's some stats to consider. Hope Dobs is in net tonight. Since Ward didn't play last night I'd expect we don't see him til after the break. Can't take a chance against Montreal. Muller needs to be greedy and I guarantee Khudobin would say he's up for the challenge.

So after last nights effort from K-man, both Cam Ward and have Anton
have both played in 19 games and started 18 this season.

Here's how the $6.5-million dollar/year cap-space-eating Ward-0 compares to our new #1 Goalie, ANTON KHUDOBIN...

ANTON KHUDOBIN         GAA 2.09;         13 wins;        .930 Save%
CAM WARD                     GAA 3.15;          6 wins;         .895 Save%

Major props to Mr. Khudobin!!!

With you in net we still have a shot for the playoffs... Go Canes, Go K-man!

As per your usual bias, as many have taken you on about, G-N-R, statistics seem to rule your thoughts. Sorry, but at the game, it was very obvious to me at least, that luck, the hockey gods or what have you, that in my eyes, we were very fortunate to not have a much tighter game than the score depicts. The Panthers hit several, and I mean several posts, a few inches one way or the other could have changed that game dramatically. In my opinion, that was not Khudobin making those stops, thus I worry that when those start to light the lamp, how those "hollowed figures" start to change?

Not that I wish for that to happen, because I am overjoyed that we picked this guy up, but I also think you are being a little bias in comparing Cam's stats, while he's been less than 100% healthy, and Khodobin at this point in the year.

Yeah, those posts should have been either first or second star !

Sorry, I almost forgot the  :sarcasm: tag. Don't want to confuse anybody.

As per your usual bias, ...... statistics ....

Because stating stats like SAVE% and Wins (for two goalies on the same team, in the same season, having played in the same number of games) is so biased....   

Edited by Greg-N-Ral

Khodobin has to learn how to hold on to a puck and slow the pace. Ward is great at this but can't make a timely save any more. If only we could combine the two.

Good observation.  Khudobin makes some amazing saves but spits out rebounds that have come back to bite him several times lately.  Hopefully its something he'll learn to do better as he gets more experience, especially when he sees the defense starting to look loose around the net.