The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Greg-N-Ral

All inclusive goalie discussion

What worries me is,, does Anton want to stay with the Canes?  Seems like if he did they would already be signing him to make sure he doesn't leave!!

I doubt Anton would consider staying with the Canes as long as Cam was still here.    Anton wants, and deserves, to be a starter, not just the back up waiting for Cam's next injury.

I doubt Anton would consider staying with the Canes as long as Cam was still here.    Anton wants, and deserves, to be a starter, not just the back up waiting for Cam's next injury.

I agree, he has certainly outplayed Cam this season, and I fell a lot better with him in net than Cam

And why does a goalie discussion have to turn into an argument, with personal insults to go with it, Cam is simply not what he used to be to this team, he doesn't steal games anymore, he doesn't make any miraculous game saving saves anymore, he lives and dies with our defense.

I hate to make this comparison, but he is sort of like Jake Delhomme of the Carolina Panthers, he is idolized by Fans for leading them to the Superbowl, even enough to overlook his faults for him to remain the starter, until the latter part of his time there, when he became more of a liability than a leader, and it was clear to everyone his time was over, except to the Coaching staff and Front office, who continued to ignore the "Backups" that played leaps and bounds ahead of him, I hope the Ward era doesn't end has ugly has that situation did!!!

With the way the team has played of late in front of both Cam and Anton, I wouldn't want to be on this team.

It is a little troubling though that there hasn't even been a sliver of any rumors concerning Anton signing an extension, regardless of what happens to Cam. With the way he has played, he is likely to garner a lot of interest at season's end, if not before the trade deadline and could be biding his time to see what offers are going to be out there.

Whether it is with the Canes or another team, he will definitely be a starter somewhere.

Edited by hopper915

Believe it or not, I still believe in Cam, but he did himself no favors tonight. If we can unload his contract and get something decent in return by Wednesday, I'm all for it, provided we can get Khudobin signed to an extension first. My impression has always been JR does not extend contracts during the season, but if Cam still has value at this point, I hope JR will try. Would hate to trade Cam w/o Khudobin locked up, and end up like the Islanders and Panthers, trying out one goalie after another year after year trying to find one who can do the job.

At this point I'm ready to trade ANYBODY, because there is a huge disconnect between the talent on this team and its production. Overall scoring and the PP are just pitiful, especially considering we are paying high dollars to at least 5 players (2 Staals, Semin, Skinner and Ruutu)to be goal scorers. Straying off topic, given that the season is lost, I would be in favor of firing Muller now and bringing in an interim coach to see if someone different can motivate these players to play with pride and 100% effort all of the time. As others have said, Muller may one day be a great coach, but this group of players is not playing for him, for each other or for the fans.

Notice people are paying big $$$ to the Kids and Community fund to play in the Alumni Game.  How about big $$ to coach a game.  Extra $$ required to fly in the Canes charter plane for an away game and stay at their five-star hotel?

Maybe Anton wants to be the starter for a winning team with consistent defense  :hits forehead:

I would predict that Anton would absolutely positively sign here if he was given the keys to the #1 slot and Cam moved on, and absolutely positively will not if that doesn't happen.

Maybe Anton wants to be the starter for a winning team with consistent defense  :hits forehead:

I wonder if that's why Wards play has nosedived this season, he is playing his way out of Carolina ?

I don't think Khudobin cares one way or another if Ward stays or goes.  He knows he is now the number 1 and has earned it. In interviews his personality seems to be of a person who has confidence in his ability and himself. I don't think he is worried about being pushed. I really think the issue will come down to money and his belief over if the team can turn around.

Lets face it he is the number 1 goalie, he knows it, we know it and the coaches know it.

Cam stays with his salary and is sitting there for the rest of time as the #2 and Anton has no worries?

Didn't a pretty similar situation play out in Vancouver?

Maybe for the right paycheck Anton stays with Ward here, but with free agency out there....

If it is clear that Anton is #1, then why keep a $6 million back up? Think that might occur to him.

Maybe..if so, fine, then re sign him sooner than later.

Edited by remkin

Cam stays with his salary and is sitting there for the rest of time as the #2 and Anton has no worries?

Didn't a pretty similar situation play out in Vancouver?

Maybe for the right paycheck Anton stays with Ward here, but with free agency out there....

If it is clear that Anton is #1, then why keep a $6 million back up? Think that might occur to him.

Maybe..if so, fine, then re sign him sooner than later.

I didn't mean to imply we should keep a $6 million backup contract only that I don't think it will play into his decision to stay or go. The real issue might be can we afford to keep the $6 million dollar salary and still offer Dobby the money he wants. That could have a direct impact on Khudobin's decision.

Ok so... it REALLY depends on what we're talking about here... Trading Cam for a valuable return, or just trading him for anything essentially "dumping" his salary. No matter which you look at, there are problems.

Trading Ward for value in return: Cam is underachieving according to his contract, I think it's fair to say. However, playoff contenders don't have the cap space to ADD $6mill to payroll. So they have to send back a big-money, underachieving player in return. Essentially, JR would be trading an underachieving $6mill player to get an underachieving $6mill player... who we can all complain about next season.

Dumping Ward's salary: Currently, there are 7 NHL teams that could take on Ward's full salary. Edmonton, Buffalo, Ottawa, Calgary, Colorado, Islanders, and Florida. I understand that a few more teams could absorb what's LEFT of Ward's contract this year, but would still have to deal with his remaining salary next season, and I doubt teams would put themselves in that kind of financial situation going into next season.

I do not believe that JR wants to trade Ward for nothing. I don't believe he wants to trade him at all, but he may have to given his performance. And for those that blame JR for giving Ward the contract he has... at the time Ward deserved the money he's getting. I don't think anyone could have foreseen the dramatic decline we've all witnessed. In summation, I believe that Ward doesn't get moved at all. But in the rare event that a big money player is available, JR may take a swing.

The only way Ward gets traded is if JR thinks he's worth even less than it seems.  Huh? yes you read that right.

At this point Ward's value is so diminished that it is likely he stays a Cane and gets playing time in the remaining meaningless games to ascertain whether he can actually still play.  If he can, then the case is made for an off-season trade since some (greater) value is re-established.  If he can't, then a buy out case is made - and Ward is done.

Meanwhile, sign Khudobin by Wednesday, but if you can't keep working through a deal and get it done before he walks July 1st.  Play both goalies down the stretch and make it clear Khudobin is number 1 and Ward is playing for an opportunity elsewhere.

Sounds like Rutherford is working on that as we speak Manwolf.  No surprise really.  As for Ward, good points.  We will see.

wat0.jpg

Edited by coastal_caniac

Ah but what are the issues that might not be resolved by the deadline? Just money? Someone else being traded? 

So the Canes D was described as follows.  Can't blame Khudobin, but Ward plays behind the same mess, as described so vividly:

• Daryl "Razor" Reaugh describes a Jamie Benn goal thusly: "Like poop through a diarrhea infected goose, Benn goes through everyone." 

Edited by Manwolf

It is not helping the trade Ward by the deadline notion that Marty Brodeur wants a trade. 

If Ward is traded it would probably have to be to team that is looking to the future and thinks he's worth taking a shot at. 

I would say this. Ward in his prime would have brought back an elite player. But Ward still might be worth taking a shot at if you are a team that needs a #1 goalie, not for this year, but moving forward. Just not sure what you'd give up.

It is not helping the trade Ward by the deadline notion that Marty Brodeur wants a trade. 

If Ward is traded it would probably have to be to team that is looking to the future and thinks he's worth taking a shot at. 

I would say this. Ward in his prime would have brought back an elite player. But Ward still might be worth taking a shot at if you are a team that needs a #1 goalie, not for this year, but moving forward. Just not sure what you'd give up.

I wonder how patient Calgary is with the rebuilding process.  Might they be a good fit for a trade?

I've been pondering, as I'm  sure all who've expressed feelings on this subject have, Cam Ward's long standing difficulties in goal. A thought I've had that I wanted to throw out there, is it possible that rather than simply "throw away" a viable goalie, and by that, give up some part of $6 million, should JR explore changing goalie coaches? Cam seemed to do good with Barasso, but I've not heard mention of exploring that option. Surely, JR, as an ex-goalie has explored that option, wouldn't you think? I mean, even if Cam is satisfied with his present coach, shouldn't this be explored? just a thought.