The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Greg-N-Ral

All inclusive goalie discussion

.... should JR explore changing goalie coaches? Cam seemed to do good with Barasso, but I've not heard mention of exploring that option. Surely, JR, as an ex-goalie has explored that option, wouldn't you think? I mean, even if Cam is satisfied with his present coach, shouldn't this be explored? 

In a word, no!!

Lets not over think this here --  implying Ward's bad play is based on the coach Greg S??   ARGH!

Its Ward himself. 

Cam is highly overpaid and many here are FINALLY starting to see him for who he really is.

Of all goalies in the NHL with 20+ starts, guess which goalie has the WORST save % this year?

Hint: he's also the 4th highest paid Goalie in the NHL! 

Yep good old Cam.

K-man's resigning -- finally something to really believe in for our team!

Cam is finally getting off this team (its only a matter of time) and that will free up $6-million... Finally!!  

Whooowoooooo!!!

Greg,

If Cam goes........well, it won't be the same around here with you gone.

I think we might have to keep Cam so we can keep you around.

Edited by remkin

If we trade Cam, we will not be freeing up 6mil. Most likely, we will have to take a highly salaried player or players. I just don't see many GMs sending us draft picks in exchange for a 6mil salary.

Rem, I will admit I have often focused on Cam for about two years now.

That said, its only because I care about the Canes and right or wrong, I've always seen Cam's over-inflated salary

as a major issue with the Canes winning moving forward. I had no problem presenting facts to bolster my

opinion, even if some lightweights acted poorly towards me.

But hopefully this becomes ancient history... as Cam's time with us is running out (the sooner the better, IMO).

Bottom line - yes I'm VERY VERY happy about K-man's signing. First for K-man and second for our team (with Cam gone, we'll finally have millions freed up to get more skating talent)!

If we trade Cam, we will not be freeing up 6mil. Most likely, we will have to take a highly salaried player or players. I just don't see many GMs sending us draft picks in exchange for a 6mil salary.

Actually that would not be that bad!!!

Thing is....  guys getting paid like Cam include:
Jay Bouwmeester 
Ryan OReilly
Jeff Carter
Marty  St Louis,
Patrick Sharp
Tom Vanek,
Ryan Getzlaf
and Jonathan Toews!!

Sad, but they all make about what Ward-0 does.

And all of them are much much better than Ward. 
No NHL GM would trade them for Ward.

Best case, we might be able to dump him for a 4th rounder
and an under-performing player (making about 3 million). That's about it

as most currently making $6-ish million are be a BIG improvement over Cam.

And, btw, I'd take the above deal in a heartbeat.   Addition by subtraction baby!!

Re: Goalie coach. The same one coaching Cam is coaching Khudobin, and Peters for that matter.

So that makes him what..1 for 3

In a word, no!!

Lets not over think this here --  implying Ward's bad play is based on the coach Greg S??   ARGH!

Its Ward himself. 

Cam is highly overpaid and many here are FINALLY starting to see him for who he really is.

Of all goalies in the NHL with 20+ starts, guess which goalie has the WORST save % this year?

Hint: he's also the 4th highest paid Goalie in the NHL! 

Yep good old Cam.

K-man's resigning -- finally something to really believe in for our team!

Cam is finally getting off this team (its only a matter of time) and that will free up $6-million... Finally!!  

Whooowoooooo!!!   Greg, your    respect for  Cam  really comes through...  How many times do you have to put him down??  It gets old fast...

Rem, I will admit I have often focused on Cam for about two years now.

That said, its only because I care about the Canes and right or wrong, I've always seen Cam's over-inflated salary

as a major issue with the Canes winning moving forward. I had no problem presenting facts to bolster my

opinion, even if some lightweights acted poorly towards me.

But hopefully this becomes ancient history... as Cam's time with us is running out (the sooner the better, IMO).

Bottom line - yes I'm VERY VERY happy about K-man's signing. First for K-man and second for our team (with Cam gone, we'll finally have millions freed up to get more skating talent)! Greg, i bet  cam goes  somewhere else and does well, want to bet a  skinner  chicken dinner on that?? :)

So that makes him what..1 for 3

The numbers for Peters are actually pretty good/decent, certainly not bad for a third string goalie so I would say he is more like 2 for 3.

I'm not saying I am against a change in goalie coach, just pointing out that Peters has been decent this year.

I still would like a different goalie signed in the offseason after (hopefully) Ward is moved/bought out (will not happen IMO), and again I am not against changing the goalie coach as I have suggested the same thing in the past. Still, Khudobin is among the league leaders so...

The numbers for Peters are actually pretty good/decent, certainly not bad for a third string goalie so I would say he is more like 2 for 3.

I'm not saying I am against a change in goalie coach, just pointing out that Peters has been decent this year.

I still would like a different goalie signed in the offseason after (hopefully) Ward is moved/bought out (will not happen IMO), and again I am not against changing the goalie coach as I have suggested the same thing in the past. Still, Khudobin is among the league leaders so...

I have nothing against our goalie coach. It just becomes silly to me ( I know you were answering a post so I'm not saying your post was silly) to blame or not blame or justify or not justify the reasons why Ward isn't playing well. With the signing of Khudobin he is our number one goalie.

Trade Ward or trade Peters it doesn't matter. In the off season we will be looking for a backup. If Ward goes I wish him well and will feel a certain sadness after the years he has given us.  If its Pete-dawg I wish him a long career. When we signed Dobby we made the decision and Ward and Peters are just spare parts right now.

You know the way this team is managed, we could be back here at training camp, discussing a competition between Ward and Khudobin for the #1 goalie spot.

You know the way this team is managed, we could be back here at training camp, discussing a competition between Ward and Khudobin for the #1 goalie spot.

It would be better than discussing a Khudobin versus Peters battle.  I'd much rather have two NHL goalies than one and a half.  Is that worth $6 or 7 million?  That's a question worth discussion.

It is unless Cam is able to regain his form and takes over the #1 spot next season.

I think mgmt. is still looking at a Ward/Khudobin split in the net next season. Really couldn't do it this season with all the injuries that happened with both of them.

It is unless Cam is able to regain his form and takes over the #1 spot next season.

I think mgmt. is still looking at a Ward/Khudobin split in the net next season. Really couldn't do it this season with all the injuries that happened with both of them.

That's a lot of money in goal.  We need to save something to pay people who can keep the puck from getting there in the first place.

There's a lot money tied up in goal now, but I'm still on the fence about how bad that is. It's not worth trading Ward today for the sake of trading him, there has to be a trade that gets us something we need in return. After the deadline, I think we have to sign a worthwhile backup before we move Ward. Otherwise now we're in the same place we have been for years, solid number 1 who is forced to play 70 games a year because we don't have a backup. Wherever he's playing next year, I expect Ward to be ready at the start of the season. 

Awful lot of assumptions that we would ever be able to free up the Cam salary.  This means a lot of JR critics think he is going to pull off the miracle they all think he is incapable of pulling off.

Who wants a 6 million dollar man that has only gotten his team to the playoffs 1 time as a 1st line goalie!!

I guess we have 20 something games to let Ward and Peters prove what they are worth to us or someone else. The problem is they aren't going to get much ice as long as we have even a slim chance to make a run.

I guess we have 20 something games to let Ward and Peters prove what they are worth to us or someone else. The problem is they aren't going to get much ice as long as we have even a slim chance to make a run.

With Ward underperforming in net, and almost every game a must have, how many games does he get?  I can't see Dobby being ridden for the 20 remaining games. Do we ride him until there no longer is a chance at the playoffs?

With Ward underperforming in net, and almost every game a must have, how many games does he get?  I can't see Dobby being ridden for the 20 remaining games. Do we ride him until there no longer is a chance at the playoffs?

I wouldn't think so. I do think Dobby gets the majority of the games. Not sure if Pete-dawg gets in the mix or he just takes a seat.

Anton -- you were simply AMAZING last night.

The bright spot ... Congrats on the #1 Star!!!  

The bottom line on the loss... this team's PP is not respected. Nash and company knew it and they took advantage of the Canes PP unit.

Muller can say all he wants about some of the guys not following his plan, but that just tells us the players are not buying into Muller as HC.

Mr K... great job in net last night!!!!!  You are part of the solution, lets just hope some vital moves are made in the off season.

Now your starting to get it Greg. Doesn't really matter what the goalie does when the rest of the team takes a vacation.

Agree he stood on his head and was one of the bright spots.

GM needs to step in and demand we give Ward every chance to show he can bring something in trade. No longer a coaching decision.