The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Greg-N-Ral

All inclusive goalie discussion

Still HAVE to try to buff up Cam's numbers if there is to be any hope of a decent return. Back to back. Team is out of it.

Ward should start. So of course Khudoben will since Kirk apparently doesn't read my posts.

who gets the start in goal in the Peg?  Ward since it is near his home?

Winnipeg is in Manitoba, and is nowhere near Sherwood Park, which is in Alberta, two provinces to the west. :shakeshead:

But yeah, I agree, Ward should start.

Edited by coastal_caniac

Winnipeg is in Manitoba, and is nowhere near Sherwood Park, which is in Alberta, two provinces to the west. :shakeshead:

But yeah, I agree, Ward should start.

near is relative.  a lot closer than Raleigh

Ward had a Vintage Cam game tonight and I was glad to see it. He has a lot of hockey left in him.

I hope we keep them both! What a tandem that would be !

Look at goalie injuries--to Cam the last two years, to Ellis last year and Doby this year and

you will see a team struggling with inconsistency in the net. Most contending teams have two

goalies able to win games on a regular basis. We never really had great backup to Cam,

and we rode him into the ground for many years. Just saying, we now have a chance to

have two capable net-minders.I think we should keep them.

We thought we had that this year until both went down early in the season---and Peters did

his best to stand in the breach and hold the fort. But look at this road trip as an example of how

things should work. No question Doby stole the CBJ game for us-----and Cam stole the Jets game !

(Both teams highly motivated and fighting for a playoff spot)

We have two goalies on the books for next season. I say keep them both, and hope the goalie injury

bug moves on elsewhere for a while.  Just my $.02.

Edited by UNCCaniac8

The stats don't lie. .944 save percentage against the Jets.

Cam is back. Plan the parade.

Yeah, and he was even better than that. Those were not harmless shots from the far wing.

That was the old Cam and the old Canes hanging him out over and over.

Still, no matter how we slice it, this was a really great thing.

I'll catch flak for this but...

One game doesn't make up for another bad season by Ward, and almost 9 million is too much to spend on two goalies. Spending 6.5+ million on a backup is insane on a team with so many holes (or on any team for that matter). Injuries may happen, but that goes for any position. Trade Ward, get a goalie at a much lower cost in return, or sign one during free agency. Financially this will give us much more flexibility. I don't want any type of ongoing goalie controversy either because one is making 6+ million. If you are going to make Khudobin your #1 (and he has earned it), then do it clean and improve the team in front of him.

One game doesn't make up for another bad season by Ward, and almost 9 million is too much to spend on two goalies. Spending 6.5+ million on a backup is insane on a team with so many holes (or on any team for that matter). Injuries may happen, but that goes for any position. Trade Ward, get a goalie at a much lower cost in return, or sign one during free agency. Financially this will give us much more flexibility. I don't want any type of ongoing goalie controversy either because one is making 6+ million. If you are going to make Khudobin your #1 (and he has earned it), then do it clean and improve the team in front of him.

Props on saying what needs to be said!!

Now the trick is for JR to be strategic and trade away Cam.  I'll address the tactics needed to give us any hope at that next.

What flak?  I know you guys like to kick a guy when he's down.  No need to not kick him when he's up.

It was great to see Cam finally earn his pay (once) this year.  But folks, one strong game is just that -- one game!

Bigger picture...

Cam's save % is now "up" to 89.6% this season.  That ranks 42nd out of 45 NHL goalies this season (adding insult to the mix Cam takes home the 4th highest goalie salary in the entire NHL).

http://www.nhl.com/ice/playerstats.htm?fetchKey=20142ALLGAGAll&viewName=savePercentageLeaders&sort=savePercentage&pg=2

Hopefully some desperate (foolish) team might be willing (in the off-season) to trade for Cam if he can get 2-3 more good games in this year.  And if he does, that is EXACTLY the time to rest him (and stop playing him this season, before he returns to his season-long subpar level).  

JR if Cam manages to play 2 more good games (in a row), STOP playing him (quit while you have some small leverage to work with in trade talks). 

Irony and sarcasm are lost on some people.

By the way, it wasn't that long ago that some were ready to hand the crease to Peters.  This is the same goalie that may or may not have entered the witness protection program and may or may not be selling tacos out the back of a van in San Antonio.

I knew if I had something positive to say about Cam I would entice Greg-N-Raleigh to jump

back into the fray with insightful comments................

---------I did that on purpose!    :sarcasm:

Edited by UNCCaniac8

do the Canes have the 8.5 mil in cap space to carry two goalies?

is Ward willing to take the role as a back-up?

The problem aside from Cam's salary, for JR is he is to trade Cam is exactly sample size. 

This is why Cam needs to get at least half of the remaining starts. 

Still it could be a problem. 

I think JR (although it could get very interesting if it's not JR) would trade Cam for what JR considers at least decent return. But unless Cam has put up a decent number of really good starts forget that. 

But if he doesn't move Cam, then A, he doesn't get player Y and/ or a pick (especially pre draft), or the cap space and we need both.

Plus if he gets into a full blown goalie controversy he might get even less. 

do the Canes have the 8.5 mil in cap space to carry two goalies?

is Ward willing to take the role as a back-up?

Probably as well as we have cap space to pay 4 forwards $27 mil. when only 2 have managed 20 goals

this season !   :thumbdown:

As to back-up goalie---are we ready to give all the marbles to a young goalie (admittedly fun to watch),

who aspires to be #1, but plays his own style----and has yet to complete a full NHL season? Why does

there have to be a #1 ? Why not a credible tandem?

We have more problems than goaltending----the biggest one is lack of inspired leadership ! IMO

Edited by UNCCaniac8

I think some folks assume Khudo is going to play for peanuts his whole career.

That depends on how he performs. Having him locked up for two years at a very friendly cap hit could ease some of the financial strain that JR has put on us with long-term contracts.

As to back-up goalie---are we ready to give all the marbles to a young goalie (admittedly fun to watch),

who aspires to be #1, but plays his own style----and has yet to complete a full NHL season? Why does

there have to be a #1 ? Why not a credible tandem?

We have more problems than goaltending----the biggest one is lack of inspired leadership ! IMO

Like you said, we have other problems than goaltending (which isn't a problem when you look at the numbers for Khudobin and Peters), so having 9 million tied up in a tandem doesn't make sense. Say we trade for/sign another goalie at 2 million, we still save 4.5 million (more than the cost of Khudobin and another goalie combined for next year). That is money that could be used for improving the third line, to bring in a #2 or #3 d-man, or to bring in another top-6 forward.

To answer your question, yes I am ready to hand the keys to Khudobin, he has earned it. I don't see what "playing his own style" has to do with anything. It has worked so far. Ward has been injured and has not come close to earning his contract over the past few seasons. Having 6.5 million in cap space sitting on the bench or being part of a split seems crazy to me considering how many holes we have elsewhere.

"Playing his own style" was not meant negatively----just an observation. But this is the Canes Organization. Likely we will not trade or sign an established NHL goalie. Peters will be signed to back up Doby------and the coach will run Doby into the ground b/c Peters doesn't do as well when he sits for a while.  Same old, same old ! 

Doby has earned the keys? Based on four months of observation?  He was injured for 21/2 months at the beginning. He has just gotten his feet in the water as NHL goalies go. Don't misunderstand. I like Doby, but he just made the twenty NHL games played mark. Not a lengthy resume.

I do agree we need some third line help. But cup bound teams have reliable goaltenders, time tested, and not pieced and patched !

. Say we trade for/sign another goalie at 2 million, we still save 4.5 million (more than the cost of Khudobin and another goalie combined for next year). That is money that could be used for improving the third line, to bring in a #2 or #3 d-man, or to bring in another top-6 forward.

To answer your question, yes I am ready to hand the keys to Khudobin, he has earned it. I don't see what "playing his own style" has to do with anything. It has worked so far. Ward has been injured and has not come close to earning his contract over the past few seasons. Having 6.5 million in cap space sitting on the bench or being part of a split seems crazy to me considering how many holes we have elsewhere.

Edited by UNCCaniac8