The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Greg-N-Ral

All inclusive goalie discussion

Khudobin just passed Rask (his teammate last year) for #2 in the NHL in save %.

Pretty incredible story that Khudobin is writing for himself. If we were in the playoff hunt this would be getting more media attention, but...

Edited by Kyrule

Khudobin just passed Rask (his teammate last year) for #2 in the NHL in save %.

Pretty incredible story that Khudobin is writing for himself. If we were in the playoff hunt this would be getting more media attention, but...

...or if he was doing it for a Canadian team...

Well.  I never thought this would happen but all things considered:  Khudobin is putting up Vezina numbers this season.  Esp if you look at the shots on goal this is crazy.  We now have a goalie on our team that can put up Vezina like numbers.

He won't even be in the running with only having played 33 games. It'll be interesting if he can put up the same numbers with 60+ games.

He won't even be in the running with only having played 33 games. It'll be interesting if he can put up the same numbers with 60+ games.

What will be really interesting (to me) is whether we as a team can grab a playoff position early next year and maintain it by enough of a margin that riding Khudo that hard isn't necessary. Rask has played 55 games this year and the Bruins are such world-beaters that he is now resting while Johnson comes in and plays nearly as well. If Peters (or any goalie) is going to be sharp on backup, they need to play enough, and I think targeting Khudo for 50 and expecting him to play 55 will force Peters to maintain his performance level. By the time he was "petering" out this year (pun intended) he was giving up rebounds after containing them for a nice string of games. Finding that magic number where he loses focus and letting him play up but not into it (three consecutive games would be my first guess, subject to change based on performance) should be our coaching staff's top priority.

My guess: Khudobin's salary and contract is short and economical enough that we will see a battle for who starts Game One of 2014-2015 throughout the pre-season. And if we somehow slide into this post-season, our goalie options are the most diverse in the tournament, and all three have something to prove.

Edited by top-shelf-1

Three? Who is the third? Who is second? Khudobin is the only one I see as being a lock on this team next season.

I doubt Cam goes anywhere with that contract while he shouldn't be a lock his crappy contract kind of makes him one.

Two recent Bleacher Report articles:

One is "Top 10 Free Agent Goalies."

#9 Justin Peters. It says he should be in line for about a 1.5 million per year deal.

Not sure I agree with that, and I hope its not us if that is the case.

The other is "10 Most Overrated Stars in the Game Today."

#5 Cam Ward (and the #1 goalie on the list).

I don't care if Cam stays or goes really, but if Cam does go, just say no to Peters.

unless Peters is somehow re-signed, he is gone. 

Here is the list of UFA goalies that will possibly be available at the end of the season:

NAME                  CURRENT TEAM/AGE/SALARY 

Miller, Ryan         STL 33 $6,250,000  
Brodeur, Martin     NJD 41 $4,500,000 
Hiller, Jonas         ANA 32 $4,500,000  
Thomas, Tim         DAL 39 $3,750,000
Halak, Jaroslav     WAS 28 $3,750,000 
Dubnyk, Devan         MTL 27 $3,500,000 
Nabokov, Evgeni     NYI 38 $3,250,000 
Bryzgalov, Ilya     MIN 33 $2,266,234  
Khabibulin, Nikolai     CHI 41 $2,000,000  
Vokoun, Tomas         PIT 37 $2,000,000  
Elliott, Brian         STL 28 $1,800,000  
Emery, Ray         PHI 31 $1,650,000  
Giguere, Jean-Sebastien COL 36 $1,500,000  
Gustavsson, Jonas     DET 29 $1,500,000  
Clemmensen, Scott     FLA 36 $1,200,000  
Labarbera, Jason     CHI 34 $1,000,000  
MacDonald, Joey     CGY 34 $925,000  
Greiss, Thomas         PHX 28 $750,000  
Nilstorp, Cristopher     DAL 30 $725,000  
Danis, Yann         PHI 32 $675,000  
Desjardins, Cedrick     TBL 28 $650,000  
Lawson, Nathan         OTT 30 $650,000  
Montoya, Al         WPG 29 $601,000  
Johnson, Chad         BOS 27 $600,000  
MacIntyre, Drew     TOR 30 $600,000  
McElhinney, Curtis     CLB 30 $600,000  
McKenna, Mike         CLB 30 $595,000  
Leneveu, David         NYR 30 $550,000 
Reiter, Ken         NYI 27 $550,000  
Murphy, Mike         CAR 25 $550,000 
Leggio, David         WAS 29 $550,000 
Hutton, Carter         NAS 28 $550,000  
Curry, John         MIN 30 $550,000  
Peters, Justin         CAR 27 $537,500

Not to bring this old thread back up, but Khudobin made a couple of interesting statements today at a presser for the Russian National Team....

Maybe he (Ward), how can I say, has presented everything he could have,” said Khudobin

Presented everything he has with Carolina or in the NHL?

“Maybe at this club. Maybe in his career. He has been playing in the NHL since he was 19,”

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/carolina-goalie-anton-khodobin-wonders-if-cam-ward-is-past-his-prime-164626687.html

Nothing incendiary here, just an interesting thought that many fans may be able to relate to.

Oops, Caniac_fan beat me to it in the other thread...carry on, nothing to see here.

Edited by canesfan06

If RonnieF is his own man then its clear he needs to get Cam Ward's 6-mill+ of the payroll -- in today's world we clearly don't benefit proportional to his $6.5 million dollar salary, as that type of money should only go to top-tier NHL goalies and CLEARLY Cam is not an elite NHL goalie.

So Ronnie, lets see what you got!!! -- Rid us of Cam and use some of that extra money to get a more reasonably priced backup goalie.

Good for Pete-Dawg

CALGARY - Team Canada's goaltending for the upcoming world championship is all set with the addition of Justin Peters from the Carolina Hurricanes.

NHL.com

If RonnieF is his own man then its clear he needs to get Cam Ward's 6-mill+ of the payroll -- in today's world we clearly don't benefit proportional to his $6.5 million dollar salary, as that type of money should only go to top-tier NHL goalies and CLEARLY Cam is not an elite NHL goalie.

So Ronnie, lets see what you got!!! -- Rid us of Cam and use some of that extra money to get a more reasonably priced backup goalie.

Time to give it a break Greg.

If you can't add anything new to discussions and continue with your redundant posts just to bump threads to the top of the topics lists, you will find your posting privileges restricted. 

Time to give it a break Greg.

If you can't add anything new to discussions and continue with your redundant posts just to bump threads to the top of the topics lists, you will find your posting privileges restricted. 

Yes Sir!!!   LOL

While I'm in the camp that hopes we don't re-sign Peters (at least at the NHL level), I'm happy to see that he's given himself an opportunity to get a real shot at proving his worth. He took some positive steps this season and got noticed, now he's got a chance to play at the world tournament. I'm sure lots of teams are watching him and considering a backup contract or more.  

I wonder how much ice time Peters will get?  At least it's Scrivens and Reimer instead of Smith, Price, and Luongo.

If you're a USA fan, hopefully a lot :P

As per the above link, 34 UFA Goalies on the market for next year (27 RFA goalies). 

http://capgeek.com/free-agents/?year_id=2014&team_id=-1&position_id=G&fa_type_id=2

Realistically, I wonder how much chance Peters has of landing  an NHL contract?  Does anyone know if the Players Agreement allows him to be signed to a two way contract at this point? 

My view on the goalie situation. Cam obviously makes too much, especially in a back up roll. If he can find his game I'd be all for him and Khudobin sharing the load as was the plan last year. Realistically I think we ride with these 2. Khudobin starting with Ward playing every 3rd or 4th game unless Khudobin is just lights out or if Ward has a great game he could get 2 or 3 in a row. I see that as most likely because I don't see PK willing to buyout Ward's contract or eating a large portion in order to trade him, then pay another goalie on top of that. We could go cheap with Peters but I'm not sold on him as our backup. We'd be doing to Khudobin what we've done to Ward all these years. Also I'd like to see Khudobin play 50+ games and stay healthy all season before we put the franchise in his hands. Wards only trade value is the 2 times he's been in the playoffs we made it to the cup and conference finals.

I was under the impression that Kudobin was signed as the number one goalie when his contract was negotiated.  If that is the case, there is no way that we can afford to pay Ward that much money for that few of games.  I don't think the organization, with their spending issues, will have a choice but to send him on his way, the way that hurts the least.  Anything they do with him is going to hurt, unless we get awfully lucky and we haven't exactly had a horse shoe up our butts lately when it comes to getting breaks. Maybe Rutherford will take him to Pittsburgh. As a matter of fact, send him and E Staal to Pitt and send us a Russian back down for the 2!  We win that arrangement.  Hell, Rutherford may even eat some salary on the deal.