The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Greg-N-Ral

All inclusive goalie discussion

Just read RF is actively seeking a trade for Cam.  Also read, Penguins could buy out Fleury's contract.

Maybe JR wants Cam to follow him to Pittsburgh!!!

Fingers crossed!!!

Just read RF is actively seeking a trade for Cam.  Also read, Penguins could buy out Fleury's contract.

Maybe JR wants Cam to follow him to Pittsburgh!!!

Fingers crossed!!!

: crosses everything :

Mike Murphy is out of our Canes/Checkers mix.

Checkers goaltender Mike Murphy is headed back to Europe, this time to Dornbirn of the Austrian league.

Not that he was really in the mix. It does open up a spot on the Chex for one of our prospects or an add.

Need to pick a goalie this year. Second or third round. 

Wonder who the best prospects are out there?

Just saw this on todays rumor update from Mr. Eklund:

On Ryan Miller...

Sounds like things may fall into place relatively quickly here...at this point four possible teams. St Louis, San Jose, Pittsburgh and surprisingly Carolina...also told a separate trade may open up Tampa to Miller...

Need to pick a goalie this year. Second or third round. 

Wonder who the best prospects are out there?

We have Daniel Altshuller. Picked in 3rd round 2012.

He is a few years away though. (19 yrs old)

Remember the days when goalies typically entered the league (NHL) at age 23 to 25 or so?

Hmmm. Somehow forgot about him. Still wonder if we might pick one more. 

As to Miller. Wow, Eklund really throws it around. 

Trade Ward for a pick. Sign Miller, let Khudini and Miller fight it out? 

Not really seeing it.

I agree, no way on miller... Im not ready to give up on Cammer, i know i am  stubborn irish man :)

Altshuller had a really good season with the Generals in the OHL this past season to lead them to a Eastern Division Championship.

31-13-0-3 2.56 GAA

He's big kid and at 19 yrs old, he probably is still filling out!

6'3"

200 lbs.

Seems better than anyone in Charlotte. After the two games in Raleigh last season, I was not impressed with either of the two.

Let's not rush Altshuler.  A couple of seasons of work in Charlotte with an occasional call up will do him good.  The Canes need to improve with player development in the worst kind of way.  I am tired of seeing players rushed to the big time because the cupboard is bare.

Let's not rush Altshuler.  A couple of seasons of work in Charlotte with an occasional call up will do him good.  The Canes need to improve with player development in the worst kind of way.  I am tired of seeing players rushed to the big time because the cupboard is bare.

super_dave_1, although I totally agree with you regarding Altshuler, to me our team is in an extremely unenviable position, due to the dirth of playoff appearances, to not have the luxury of allowing the youngsters to develop as they should. I mean, how do they balance the critical need to make playoffs NOW, verses allowing the young guys time to mature? If a player needs time, how do we get someone now to bolster our playoff chances? Trades are out, as you either trade one of these prospects, thus again putting you in the hole, or you trade one of the veterans, which leaves you a hole there. Very complicated "Catch 22" scenario.

Edited by KJUNKANE

IMO the only reason Cam is here is because NO ONE else will take him. To many proven talents available to waste that sort of money on someone who hasn't played incredible since 2006 (some would debate 2009). Plus I think the writing is on the wall that Khubobin is our starter. Question is, will they be able to dump Cam? If so will they sign Peters as back-up? I'd be fine with a Khudobin/ Peters tandem in net. It's a shame that having Cam as our starter caused us to lose Frederik Andersen. Andersen wanted a chance to play somewhere as a stater and with Cam "locked" in by Rutherford for three more years at $6mil+ he opted not to sign with us although he was a Canes prospect. Lets just hope they can find someone to take Cam and we don't have to retain too much salary to make it happen.

I have avoided the goalie discussion for awhile. That isn't easy since the goalie situation last year and going into the off-season was perhaps the biggest player problem to be solved. For better or worse we decided to let Pete-dawg walk and keep Ward-0.

I thought this might happen since moving the Ward contract would be difficult and a buyout for Ward never made sense to me. But Ward knows he was shopped and knows unless he performs his playing days are in doubt. The best scenario will be if Ward and Khudobin take the challenge and learn to play as a tandem while pushing each other. The worst is if they are both unhappy and it shows in their play. Goalies are known to be "head cases".

I thought  Ward was regaining form at the end of last year. I have seen too many goalies who appear washed up that make amazing comebacks. I have also seen too many goalies that lose it and never regain form.

No matter if Ward wants to regain our number one spot or wants a new team he will need to earn it through his play. If he regains form there will be plenty of teams that will consider him half way through the season. If he regains form we might not want to let him go.

OBXer- "Goalies are known for being 'head cases'-------------many may be, but Ward has never been one of those.

He has always been well grounded and a good "normal" teammate from all reports. Don't know about Doby. None of us do.

But I agree---he will have to prove he has re-gained form. The last two games he played he was stellar. It is a good start.( I still feel we would have a shaky situation with Doby as #1 and Pete-Dawg as his backup-----and Ward gone.)

I felt that way last year and I still do.

But I don't blame Peters for wanting to try for a contract in free agency----instead of taking a two-way we likely offered to him. I like him and wish him well.

Edited by UNCCaniac8

OBXer- "Goalies are known for being 'head cases'-------------many may be, but Ward has never been one of those.

He has always been well grounded and a good "normal" teammate from all reports. Don't know about Doby. None of us do.

But I agree---he will have to prove he has re-gained form. The last two games he played he was stellar. It is a good start.( I still feel we would have a shaky situation with Doby as #1 and Pete-Dawg as his backup-----and Ward gone.)

I felt that way last year and I still do.

But I don't blame Peters for wanting to try for a contract in free agency----instead of taking a two-way we likely offered to him. I like him and wish him well.

Your right Ward-0 has never been known as a head case and his reputation is good. I guess I over stated it. But confidence is a big part of the game. I hope this all works out for all three of our goalies. Ward has always been a favorite of mine, Khudobin appears to be a darn good goalie and Peters deserves a shot even if it is with someone else.

I think you will admit that in sports although not all head cases linebackers, catchers and goalies seem to be a breed apart.

I don't think Ward is a head case or even all that quirky, but I do think that there can still be issues.

My theory is that Ward expects to be the man. Ward expects to get the benefit of the doubt. Ward is not happy not being the man. I keep thinking about Khudoben's comment that implied maybe Ward just isn't that good anymore. Can't imagine that sat to well with the Cammer.

Ward is the chosen one. He got the Cup, the Con Smythe, and the unquestioned starting job, even as he struggled. He was constantly heralded w/ Staal as the face and future of the team. He made the All Star game. He makes #1 goalie money and then some.

He does not have to be a head case to become a malcontent. I might become one in his position and I'm not a head ca.....ok bad example.

Anyway, since it seems clear that all we are getting is super low ball offers for Cam in this goalie glut market, we really have little choice. Buy him out or keep him. We chose the latter.

The downside risk is that Ward is never happy as a back up, or even a 1b, or even a 1a, but doesn't clearly win the job from Khudoben and ends up moping and demanding a trade etc.

The upside is that he comes out blazing, clearly wins the job. Or that he can adjust to at least being a 1b in split starts.

Personally I think Cam still has game. I saw a couple of amazing games last year. His problem has always be consistency and limiting those deflating soft goals.

Anyway, at this point we really have no choice. Hopefully he plays well enough to at least trade him later.

Edited by remkin

Cam in net again,,,, season over! ALREADY!!

Yeah, no sense sticking around now.  We'll see you next year around this time! :P

Rem, I agree regarding Cam. I think we were all pretty excited last year with having this tandem push each other....then the injuries hit.The best scenario this year would be that both goalies stay healthy and push each other for success.Cam knows he needs a big year to bring back his value.If he becomes injured or flops again this year I think Ronnie will trade him for a bag of pucks. I can't see Cam folding the tent yet and believe he will come into camp in great shape and ready for a battle. He wants the work,wants to be #1,wants to raise his value.Speaking of injuries, is Pete Freason still the conditioning coach?

Totally agree. Some say its the safe move, I say it's the smart move. We have a ton invested in this guy and its silly to toss it all for nothing especially when Khudini really is unproven on a full season as number one. What would it be like if in all our optimism the skaters are rolling, Dobby gets hurt, then we're at double back up without Cam around. Our hopes for change get shot when we're losing 3-4 4-5 or worse on a regular basis.

Lets face it, we'll get no decent return on that investment before the season starts. The smart thing to do is test the waters til late Nov or so then decide to make a move or not. Cam is somewhere around back to form then we either have a great tandem or a decent return. I'm happy with this decision.

IMO, unless he's a liability, I'd like him to complete his contract here. By then Dobby will have plenty of games under his belt to take the franchise netminder spot.

Go Canes!

Whattausay, I agree completely. Cam may have broken down a little playing 70 games a year for a number of years, and getting his leg sliced open was not his fault, but I am not convinced he has nothing left. There will be healthy competition for the #1 job, and neither of these guys should have to play anything approaching 70 games. No doubt Cam's cap hit hurts, but that is the downside of a long-term contract, and I think a few have been signed in the last 2 days that will have the same consequences for other teams we are feeling now with Cam. I still believe Cam can play, and recent events should be a great motivator for him. Yes he is overpaid, but better that than to give him away, pay 1/2 his salary, and have to shell out more $$ for another goalie. And I love Khudobin, but the 36 games he played for us last year was an NHL career high for him. I'd rather hedge my bets for at least this season.

Chex have re-signed John Muse. Looks like Muse and Drew MacIntyre will be our depth goalies in Charlotte and  Altshuller will head south to the Everblades.

I'm thinking MacIntyre could take the number 1 slot away from Muse but its just a hunch.