The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Greg-N-Ral

All inclusive goalie discussion

I meant promise as a backup if needed. Not hang our future on him. Sorry I wasn't clearer.

Well, no apology needed because I too was talking about being a backup. The guy's 31 and only managed to get in 6 NHL games, that's not good?

Its a good point legend. But we went out and got MacIntyre for depth so I hope we saw something in his AHL play that leads us to think he can be called on in an emergency.  I think Muse has probable earned a chance if the need arises but not sure if he can do it. 

If the unthinkable happens again with both our goalies I expect we would shop for a replacement.

From what I understand Macintyre is considered a late bloomer (I even saw a reference to Tim Thomas) and has played pretty well wherever he has played recently. I don't have a problem with him as our #3, and I think he could surprise if pushed into action.

I don't know, saying he has 6 NHL games is actually a stretch, it looks likely by his stats that he only played partial games in 4 of the 6. 

Looks to be to be a minor league hire. I would predict that if Cam is dealt or if both goalies go down, he would be an emergency call up only. If he blew it out maybe, but probably shop for a goalie in that case. True, he put up good numbers in the AHL w/ the Marlies but it was only over 21 games and at 30 ish he started the year in the ECHL. 

But admittedly I've never seen him play. 

Edited by remkin

Ok, move over Altshuller (kidding), but did you see Halladay today? I know it was just a little scrimmage and doesn't mean much, but I was expecting him to be totally out classed, and instead he was very composed and held his own with no problem. Good for the NC kid. I was also very impressed with Bryan Moore. I hope the organization can somehow give this kid a hand up, maybe in Fla?

Ok, move over Altshuller (kidding), but did you see Halladay today? I know it was just a little scrimmage and doesn't mean much, but I was expecting him to be totally out classed, and instead he was very composed and held his own with no problem. Good for the NC kid. I was also very impressed with Bryan Moore. I hope the organization can somehow give this kid a hand up, maybe in Fla?

I don't know about today, but yesterday, a lot of twine was moved behind Halladay.  I know they were running drills, but he was getting lit up like a Christmas tree. 

Glad I missed yesterday then. He outdueled Altshuller today, while looking more comfortable, too. May be because he has less to lose, as a kid that wasn't even supposed to be in the game originally. Anyway, he got his shot to be seen. Hope it helps him somehow. 

Luke DeCock seems to think our goalie situation will be our biggest question.  News & Observer.com

With training camp beginning Friday, the goaltending situation is the single biggest issue facing the Hurricanes, which is saying a lot for a team trying to break a five-year playoff drought.

He does point out it could be a win/win if both Ward-0 and Dobby play well.

Bleacher Report has us ranked as having the 5th best goal tending situation in the NHL between our 2 starters and an elite AHL goalie.  I believe it too.

Thats encouraging. After month of most everyone pointing out the downside of the goalie situation someone points out the upside.

Yeah really.  This is the first positive article that I have read.  I really like our goal tending situation as of right now.  It's probably hands down the best goaltending tandem that this franchise has ever seen. One could claim that Gerber/Ward was the best but in all honesty Ward was not proven at that time.  Then there is the Burke/Kidd tandem which was solid.  Or was it Irbe/Kidd?  Then there was irbe/Weekes.  But I still feel this is the best tandem we have ever had.

Edited by bluedevil58

Yeah really.  This is the first positive article that I have read.  I really like our goal tending situation as of right now.  It's probably hands down the best goaltending tandem that this franchise has ever seen. One could claim that Gerber/Ward was the best but in all honesty Ward was not proven at that time.  Then there is the Burke/Kidd tandem which was solid.  Or was it Irbe/Kidd?

I think potentially the strongest goalie tandem since Gerber/Ward. Although Ward was clearly an unproven backup that season he stepped up in the playoffs. As they say, the rest is history.

Yes.  But that season Ward really didn't play a key role until the playoffs.  Gerber secured us home ice advantage that year and we probably wouldn't have gone as far as we did in the playoffs without him because he won that key game in Buffalo when we were on the ropes.  I think it's up for debate,

Yes.  But that season Ward really didn't play a key role until the playoffs.  Gerber secured us home ice advantage that year and we probably wouldn't have gone as far as we did in the playoffs without him because he won that key game in Buffalo when we were on the ropes.  I think it's up for debate,

Oh I agree. But Ward saved our bacon when Gerber faltered. I'm not disputing that Gerber got us to the playoffs and was critical in the playoffs. Just reinforces that for that brief but important time Gerber/Ward was a heck of a tandem to have.

It all depends on where Ward's game is. If he gets back to the guy of a few years ago, we have an very very solid tandem.

If they both play well it could get interesting, but not in a bad way. Just in a "how the #1 goalie thing works out" and the "possibility of a Cam trade" way. Since even if Cam plays great the return would proably be low, I think I'd try to keep them both through the season, assuming the team stays in the hunt.

Edited by remkin

I agree with DeCock. Our goalie situation is not set up for a #1 guy you can ride all season.

Both guys have the capability to be #1 (assuming Ward returns to form.) But Ward plays better

when he gets into his "groove" by playing often. Coach will probably try to play Ward often, early,

to see how he does.

But I would get both guys together early and say: "You both could be #1's, and we are lucky

to have you both. Our goal is to win games. We will need you both because the season is long.

We will either have a #1 and a #2 or we will have a great two man tandem. But there is no "I" in

team. If you both play well I will give as much playing time as I can, because we are in this

together to try to get to the playoffs. If we can do that it will benefit the whole team, the organization

the fans and both of you ! So let's get busy, and give me what you've got."

And Dobby stops 9 of 9.

Yep,, so Cam needs to be taken out of this "ALL INCLUSIVE GOALIE DISCUSSION" thread!!!  Trade or cut him,,,now!!

Round 1: Dobby.

I really like the nickname Kudini. Making the magician saves...

The whole situation really favors us if Cam finds his game though. That salary cannot be ignored. We need him to at least get within shooting distance of that salary not being laughable, even if just to trade him. If he doesn't, we should have bought him out, and he will be a real problem.

Cam can take a while to find his game though. In the past couple of years he has looked shaky early coming back, then put on goalie clinics, then unfortunately slid back. Still waaaaaaaay too early to say.