The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Greg-N-Ral

All inclusive goalie discussion

Well Rem.  If we come in with Cam as our #1 guy and play him the majority of the games we are almost guaranteed a 1-3 overall pick in next years draft.  The 6.3m dollar man might actually help our cause this season.

My theory is that from a top down point of view, as unpopular as it seems right now, the best thing long term would be for Cam to come in and flash that All Star form for a while in the #1 job. If nothing else to give us trade value. 

That said, Cam has to show at least close to that. I do not think Peters will play a struggling Cam ahead of Khudini if Cam is clearly inferior. They will have to be very close to even or Cam clearly playing better. Obviously in the first 9-12 shots of the pre season for each, Khudini is better. Not to get back to the old "n" value debate, but I would think we need at least a little more ice time to make this call.

I can tell you this, w/ J. down, we are going to NEED two good goaltenders to stay in this till he gets back.

Edited by remkin

My theory is that from a top down point of view, as unpopular as it seems right now, the best thing long term would be for Cam to come in and flash that All Star form for a while in the #1 job. If nothing else to give us trade value. 

That said, Cam has to show at least close to that. I do not think Peters will play a struggling Cam ahead of Khudini if Cam is clearly inferior. They will have to be very close to even or Cam clearly playing better. Obviously in the first 9-12 shots of the pre season for each, Khudini is better. Not to get back to the old "n" value debate, but I would think we need at least a little more ice time to make this call.

I can tell you this, w/ J. down, we are going to NEED two good goaltenders to stay in this till he gets back.

Well McIntyre surely put his name in the hat with tonight's game.

Well McIntyre surely put his name in the hat with tonight's game.

It's talk like this that is frustrating.  McIntyre is a 31 year old, journeyman goalie, that has put on an NHL uniform 6 times during the regular season.  One good outting against a bottom dweller team in preseason (no less) and he's the greatest thing since sliced bread.  He was signed to be the new Justin Peters.  Play in Charlotte and we'll see him in Raleigh when a goalie gets hurt.

It's good that he looked good and we can have an insurance policy.

MacIntyre when he's been in the NHL has had mostly good outings. If Cam didn't exist he'd obviously have a shot and I wouldn't have a ton to say against him.

But Cam does exist and Cam does make 6 mil. Ownership wants him to be the starter or at least show some worth and he can't do that from the AHL.

I think we agree so I'm not going to argue about that.

Am I missing something on his last name I think it's MacIntyre but so far more then a few keep reverting to McIntyre making me wonder if I've got it wrong somewhere.

It's MacIntyre, but I've been spelling it wrong.  I knew where you were coming from Legend, but I figured somebody would take that ball and run with it.  My point is that he is what he is, a journeyman goalie that can skate onto the ice without embarassing himself.  Of course, he may be the next Tim Thomas who was a late bloomer, but I'm sticking with journeyman until I'm proven wrong.

Khudobin ended last season as our #1 goalie. As big a Ward fan as I have been, everything about last season points to Khudobin being our #1. Its up to Cam to take the #1 job away. We need them both to be good, but so far the preseason has looked like a continuation of last year.

And Dobby ends the pre-season as our #2 goalie !

Khudobin ended last season as our #1 goalie. As big a Ward fan as I have been, everything about last season points to Khudobin being our #1. Its up to Cam to take the #1 job away. We need them both to be good, but so far the preseason has looked like a continuation of last year.

Edited by UNCCaniac8

I think the decision on who is #1 vs. #2 will be based on more than whose last outing was the best. I am sure they will each get a start this weekend vs. the Islanders. Whatever decision is made regarding a "#1" as of Friday, long-term I don't think any decision is etched in stone. There is so much negative energy by some on these boards directed toward Cam. It seems like some people don't just expect him to fail, they want him to fail. Right now, we should be concerned about a lot of things besides which goalie starts Friday.

Right now, we should be concerned about a lot of things besides which goalie starts Friday.

They can both be great, but it won't make much difference if nobody can put it in the net at the other end.  Right now, our Goalie tandem is the best looking thing we have!! 

Edited by allboys

They can both be great, but it won't make much difference if nobody can put it in the net at the other end.  Right now, our Goalie tandem is the best looking thing we have!! 

Agree---I would love to see both of them have a strong season !

But the season is beginning with the injury "shadow" hanging over us already.

We need both goalies to be tough to beat.

The Cam distractors should watch lately, even with a pourous defense, that he is playing well..

WARD does not deserve to start the 1st game!! Canes Fans do not need to lose any/if positive thoughts about the season with him starting!!

WARD does not deserve to start the 1st game!! Canes Fans do not need to lose any/if positive thoughts about the season with him starting!!

:rofl:

And here we go!

Actually....................Ward has played much better than Kudo in the pre season therefore clearly earning the start.  He's also paid and excpected to be the #1.     Kudo might just have to take his 2mil a year and sit on the bench.....poor guy. 

I think Ward has earned the start. Only time will tell if he can maintain that distinction. I doubt Kudobin will spend much time on the bench in the early going. We may not rotate evenly but I'll bet we rotate goalies a lot in the early going. Peters says he wants a "stud" in goal but I don't think either has proven thus far there the man. Ward has the edge right now.

Actually....................Ward has played much better than Kudo in the pre season therefore clearly earning the start.  He's also paid and excpected to be the #1.     Kudo might just have to take his 2mil a year and sit on the bench.....poor guy. 

Money should never factor into it. We will play both and the best man will win, as it should be.

Also, Ward has been paid 6+ million per year (3x what Khudobin makes) to be inconsistent and injured for the last three years.

...poor guy.

I think Ward has earned the start. Only time will tell if he can maintain that distinction. I doubt Kudobin will spend much time on the bench in the early going. We may not rotate evenly but I'll bet we rotate goalies a lot in the early going. Peters says he wants a "stud" in goal but I don't think either has proven thus far there the man. Ward has the edge right now.

How has Ward earned a start with playing so bad since 2006? People want to say Kudo is having a bad pre-season when Ward has had a totally bad career! Yes he had 1 good playoff session when he helped win the cup but that was because no players knew all of his weak points like they have since 2006! So a couple bad games in preseason by Kudo is better that a bad career!!

What's past is past. This is a new season with a new coach and Ward has played better during this preseason and deserves the start on Friday.

What's past is past. This is a new season with a new coach and Ward has played better during this preseason and deserves the start on Friday.

Yeah but how many seasons and coaches has Ward not ever gotten better? I myself don't want the future to be the same as Wards past seasons as being the number 1 goalie!  I understand your hope, lol, but I have lost all of mine with Cam as the goalie!!  And yes I am going to the home opener and hope they win with whoever is in net!!!lol

Edited by djharley