The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
kingofminneapolis

who can explain +/- to me?

Plus/Minus is the differential of goals for a player's team and goals against a player's team while the player is on the ice. For instance, let's say Erik Cole was on the ice for 19 goals for the Hurricanes and only 5 goals against. That would make Cole a plus-14. If Daniel Briere was on the ice for 2 goals for the Sabres and 14 against, Briere would be a minus-12.

Hope that helps.

You get a + for being on the ice when your team scores. You get a - for being out there when the other team scores. +/- is the net of those.

Or just go with what CA said since that's a lot more detailed.

thank you everyone for your help, i now understand

Ref107 pretty much showed me up because i tried 3 different titles for it on wikipedia and i couldnt get any info <_<

That's why I'm the Ref. :P

Plus/Minus is the differential of goals for a player's team and goals against a player's team while the player is on the ice. For instance, let's say Erik Cole was on the ice for 19 goals for the Hurricanes and only 5 goals against. That would make Cole a plus-14. If Daniel Briere was on the ice for 2 goals for the Sabres and 14 against, Briere would be a minus-12.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for that explanation. I always wondered that myself. :)

Hmmm...I thought getting scored on the PP didn't affect your +/-

Is everything in that Wiki factual, Ref?

No idea lol. Is the internet always factual? I can go find out from an official if no one can answer that fully.

Hmmm...I thought getting scored on the PP didn't affect your +/-

Is everything in that Wiki factual, Ref?

Now that I re-read what you said and the article said, it is saying that if you are on the power play, and your team is scored against (ie a short handed goal for the other team) then you get decreased. It is not saying that if your team is scored on while you are short handed that you lose a point. Did I make sense?

Ah, I worded it weird, but I was basically asking if you were on the PK, and you got scored on (A PPG for the other team), would it decrease your +/-?

Which you answered.

I thought I remember reading somewhere that either getting scored on the PP, or scoring a shorthanded goal didn't affect your +/-

And it seems to make more sense that getting scored on the PP wouldn't affect that. It's not your fault you're at a disadvantage.

I think you are confused by what I wrote. If you are down a man and get scored on nothing changes in regards to +/-. Its the team who is on the power play that if they are scored on, while up a man, that it is effected negatively.

Ah, I worded it weird, but I was basically asking if you were on the PK, and you got scored on (A PPG for the other team), would it decrease your +/-?

Which you answered.

Haha I take it you got it now. :P

Meh, I feel it's a valuable stat to look at. It's a team stat though. You can't just look at two guys and say "One's in the minus, and one's in the plus, so the plus is obviously better". You gotta look at who's on their line, who's their goalie, and the team's GAA.