The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
jeromeo87

Canes sign Alexander Semin

As a Russian, I am very glad we signed him despite all the bad words about him.

Alexander! Welcome! Hurricanes have many Russian fans! Now you give us another reason to cheer for that team!

Edited by aRyazanCaniac

RALEIGH, NC – Jim Rutherford, President and General Manager of the National Hockey League’s Carolina Hurricanes, today announced that the team has agreed to terms with left wing Alexander Semin (SEH-min) on a one-year contract. The deal will pay Semin $7 million for the 2012-13 season.

“We have done a lot of research about Alexander, and discussions about his fit with our team have included people at many different levels of our organization, including players, coaches and staff,” said Rutherford. “What’s been clear throughout this process was his commitment to wanting to play in the NHL, and compete against the world’s best players.

“Alexander’s elite skill level and ability to score from the wing fill an important need on the ice, and we hope that a fresh start in Carolina will serve both Alexander and our team well.”

Semin, 28, completed his seventh NHL season in 2011-12, ranking second among Washington Capitals skaters in goals (21), assists (33) and points (54), and tied for fourth in plus/minus (+9). The Krasnoyarsk, Russia, native earned three goals and one assist (4 points) in 14 Stanley Cup playoff games for the Capitals, as Washington topped Boston in the first round before falling to the New York Rangers in seven games. Following the playoffs, he joined Russia at the 2012 IIHF World Championship, tallying five points (2g, 3a) in three games, including two goals and one assist during Russia’s gold-medal game victory.

“I’m very happy to be a Carolina Hurricane,” said Semin. “It’s a great fit for me. I look forward to playing with great players, and putting together a winning season.”

Selected by Washington in the first round, 13th overall, of the 2002 NHL Entry Draft, Semin (6’2”, 209 lbs.) has totaled 197 goals, 211 assists (408 points) and 450 penalty minutes in 469 career regular-season games with the Capitals. He is one of 18 NHL players to have averaged 30 goals or more per year over the last six seasons, with 187 total goals in that period of time. Semin netted his 197th career goal on April 5 against Florida, moving into fifth place on Washington’s all-time goal-scoring list. He has a career plus/minus rating of plus-65, and his plus-92 rating over the last four seasons ranks fifth among all NHL players.

Semin has represented Russia in nine major international competitions, including the 2010 Winter Olympic Games. He helped Russia capture gold medals at the 2008 and 2012 IIHF World Championships, and also won medals at the 2002 U-18 World Junior Championship (silver), 2005 IIHF World Championship (bronze) and 2010 IIHF World Championship (silver). Semin’s career statistics are below.

Semin E.Staal Ruutu

Skinner J.Staal Jokinen

Edited by jeromeo87

7 million for Semin?......Really?....Seriously? Thank God for Ray Shero. But whatever Jim Rutherford is smokin.....I want some :blink:

Edited by Tonic2

Welcome! A scoring threat on either top 2 lines. Not a power forward, but definitely a player who can put it in the net. One year deal is about right, as he has something to prove to those who say he is a cancer in the locker-room.

7 million for Semin?......Really?....Seriously? Thank God for Ray Shero. But whatever Jim Rutherford is smokin.....I want some :blink:

haha.. thought we would get some angry Pens fans here. We took J.Staal and Semin.

Think of it this way - Semin is still making less than Rick Nash.

Edited by jeromeo87

We cannot whine about the Hurricanes doing nothing this offseason. Now my message to Mr Semin:

"Carolina is a GREAT place to live and play hockey. If you work hard, the fans will love you."

And hats off to Rutherford. He has said we will be aggressive and we were Elite goal scorer and gave up ZERO assets to do it."

Scott Burnside‏@ESPN_Burnside - A lot of players have rediscovered their game or enjoyed a new lease on their hockey lives in Raleigh. Why not Semin (he asks rhetorically)?

haha.. thought we would get some angry Pens fans here. We took J.Staal and Semin.

Think of it this way - Semin is still making less than Rick Nash.

Trust me bro...I'm glad you're happy, and totally relieved.....this is hysterical.

And the best part of this is we don't have to worry about signing a 35 yr old Doan now either, He'll want this type of a ridiculous pay day too.

Edited by Tonic2

This is great news. He's a good player, and if things don't work out, we have him for only one year. If we let him walk away, theres always next summers better free agency (Corey Perry comes to mind).

Now JR will turn his attention to getting that bottom 6 gritty player.

Semin was by far the second best FA forward available. Sure Doan in his prime if he didn't want to only play in Phoenix.

But outside of Minnesota busting the bank the Canes have upgraded better than any other team.

Given the circumstances this was the best possible outcome.

Imagine if back when I predicted this year would be different, I had said the Canes will trade for one of the best second line centers in the game and not give up a top 6 forward OR a signed defenseman, and would then sign a legitmate first line winger?

I'm going to have to wear gloves to the games this year because my hand will be raw from all the post goal high fives.

We may have defense by committee but we will be lighting up the scoreboard. Also need to clear my schedule in April because playoffs are a lock.

WHAT AN OFFSEASON!!!

Edited by remkin

I am not completely sold on this pick up, but one thing is for sure... I haven't been this excited for the season to start in a good while! I can't wait to see how this all plays out. Between this and the Panthers in Charlotte, NC is on the rise!

Welcome Alex Semin. Thanks TSA for reminding JR to act :)

I'm not completely sold and will take a wait/see attitude on this. Certainly can't argue with the low risk vs potential reward of the 1 year deal. Now any other deals can help strengthen the squad even more. I'm not sold on the bottom 6, but that's much easier to fix or have someone step up.

Is this the year we see a top 10 PP? That would be huge. Go Canes!

YES YES YES! Just practicing for the chat room for when Semin scores. Well we got what most of us were asking for. Nice job JR.

This is awesome....The only time I ever comment on these message boards is to talk trash about how the canes never sign anybody and never spend money. I love it. Start of the off-season we wouldn't be a playoff team, with the signings we made we are taking cup contenders

Someone PLEASE wake me up. I MUST be dreaming.

Well done JR. Well done.

Welcome to NC Semin! You are MOST welcome HERE!