The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
jeromeo87

Canes sign Alexander Semin

There is actually a poll on the Wild message board debating if the Canes paid to much for Semin or not. I think $7 million for 1 season, might be a bit much, but I'm looking forward to seeing him in a canes uni.

Caps fan here. Bummed our GM couldn't keep Sasha in DC. I think part of his inconsistency and "laziness" in DC stemmed from playing with linemates below his skill and creativity level. If he gets time with the Staals in Carolina, you guys will see some magic on the ice. As some have already mentioned on the boards, he really did step up his two way game under Hunter here in DC. Sasha was interviewed after the season here and was asked how he liked playing a more defensive system. He actually said he enjoyed it. Reminded him of his days in Russia where defensive responsibility was expected even from scorers. I hope he fits in well down there, I already have a bet with a buddy that Sasha will score at least 30 goals this season, assuming it isn't strike shortened. On the right line 40 goals is not unreasonable. He has far more offensive ability than Ovie, though maybe not as complete of a player as Ovie. Might have to catch some Canes' game on Center Ice when the Caps aren't playing.

Here's a little video Russian Machine Never Breaks put together to bid him farewell.

http://www.russianmachineneverbreaks.com/2012/07/26/video-farewell-alex-semin-signs-one-year-deal-with-hurricanes/

Sasha's comments on playing under Pyotr Vorobiev in Russia, aka the Russian Ken Hitchcock.

http://www.russianmachineneverbreaks.com/2012/05/08/alexander-semin-talks-to-rmnb-about-life-liberty-and-bryzgalovs-passion-for-space-exploration/

Nah, I've watched Semin for years. He is what he is and he's not going to change now. Every once in a while, he will do something that has you shaking your head in amazement. But more often, he'll do things that have you shaking your head in frustration. He's a guy with million dollar talent but a nickel head and heart. And paying him 7 million is ludicrous. Fortunately, you can cut your losses after one season.

Respectfully, save the tums for yourself, cause I think you will now need them 6 times/year.

In case others don't get it, this isn't Washington. We don't have issues with OUR room, with leadership, with coaching, or management.

Personally, I grow tired of the monikers when he hasn't played one game here.

It's a totally clean slate here for Alex Semin. I for one think he is going to do just fine with our fans, our players, our staff, and the front office.

Nah, you have a GM whose ego makes him think he can turn chicken you know what into chicken salad. He can't. You'll see.

Everything is relative. Is Semin worth $7 million to the Caps? Probably not given how his productivity has dropped there and whatever factors are outside of Semin in that environment are still there. Washington's success with him has been limited given all the talent. It will be interesting to see how the caps do without him.

But for us? NO DOUBT worth the risk and by a lot. $7 million? Well we're paying for the one year deal. We're exchanging a little more cash for the right to walk if he turns out badly. In our current situation that's no problem.

Semin is a simple risk reward equation matched against the situation. The risk is that he is as SDurbano thinks, a hopeless basket case and will not only underperform, but drag the rest of the team down into his neurosis. While there can be no doubt that some level of that is a real risk, on a one year deal the risk of absolute disaster is low.

The reward is that Semin feels new life in a new situation, and on a one year deal is out to prove his detractors wrong, and playing with Eric Staal and another solid winger puts up a monster season, and also unlocks Staal, who now cannot be keyed on, and who can feed Semin all day long. BTW the other reward is that Semin's actual numbers on defense, making his team mates better on offense and defense, boosting the pp and pk and shootouts, are better than his rep would allow. Some of that reputation is often a bias as people see what they think they see. Even a Semin that is not quite as bad as they say will help us.

E Staal has been longing for and promised a true first line winger since his 100 point season and CLEARLY approved this deal. This team was sniffing the playoffs two years ago with an 18 yo Skinner and no first line. Now we add JStaal and Semin? And we do have strong leadership. The Staals now own run this team. Add Gleason, Ruutu, Harrison, etc. we've got plenty of character.

But on the ice, for us it is this simple: Semin >> LaRose on the first line. If Semin returns to form and so do the Staals and Skinner and Jussi, we will have one of the best stop 9 in hockey. How are you going to defend us? Good luck with that.

Then there's the real world of our actual options. What else were we supposed to do? Nash? Tried that, clearly giving up Skinner et all for Nash vs just signing Semin is a no brainer. Ryan? See Nash. Parise? We know how that went. Doan? That 35 year old had no intention of coming here.

So there were the 29 teams that did not get Parise left out there. Semin was by far the next best forward FA. We got him.

It also is a key moment and momentum for the franchise. At this point signing JStaal OR Semin would have been a bust out post cup move for this team. Signing both? Are you kidding me? We aren't jaded about Semin. We are seriously pumped and we are going to buy tickets to see this show. This team has signaled with a goal horn that the time for winning is now. New coach. Seriously powerful offense? Where do I sign up? We will set records on tickets, and ticket in the playoffs too.

No this was a monster offseason and we are back. Thank you Washington for giving us a potential superstar. Oh and we gave up no players.

Edited by remkin

Nah, you have a GM whose ego makes him think he can turn chicken you know what into chicken salad. He can't. You'll see.

Nah, we have a GM who turned a collection of chicken-salad players into Cup winners.

Sorry you can't say the same about yours. You HAVE seen. :Tumbleweed:

We're comfortable in our own skates, thank you please.

Go Canes!

Nah, I've watched Semin for years. He is what he is and he's not going to change now. Every once in a while, he will do something that has you shaking your head in amazement. But more often, he'll do things that have you shaking your head in frustration. He's a guy with million dollar talent but a nickel head and heart. And paying him 7 million is ludicrous. Fortunately, you can cut your losses after one season.

Nah, you've watched him under the same organization his entire NHL career, he has a fresh start with new influences. Great coach, great locker room, great location, awesome fans. Caps will be a distant memory soon enough for Semin. He'll like it better here. You'll see.

There is actually a poll on the Wild message board debating if the Canes paid to much for Semin or not. I think $7 million for 1 season, might be a bit much, but I'm looking forward to seeing him in a canes uni.

A bit much? The amount almost means nothing in this case. It's a 1 year deal. If he doesn't work out, he goes. No biggie.

I think this guy is going to light it up this year with us and hopefully, he will love playing here and sign an extension of things work out. I bet Eric is really excited right now. Having this guy on our team will open up defensive holes for our other scorers. You can put your best defensive pairing on Eric and Semin but then you have Jordan and Jeff Skinner to worry about. Pretty scary for a goalie when you think about it...

Everything is relative. Is Semin worth $7 million to the Caps? Probably not given how his productivity has dropped there and whatever factors are outside of Semin in that environment are still there. Washington's success with him has been limited given all the talent. It will be interesting to see how the caps do without him.

I agree with every point made in your post. The fact that the club is willing to sign such high profile players as JStaal and Semin sends the right message to fans, corporate sponsors, Canes players, and players on other teams.

We needed a big shake-up to get out of the no-playoff doldrums, and this off-season accomplishes that.

What a fantastic signing. One way of looking at is he's KILLED the Canes and is the primary reason they Caps have dominated us. But beyond that, getting him at one year is HUGE. 7 million for just one season is really no different that signing three 3rd liners, which we seem to do just about every offseason. But what I like about it is the "get out of it" aspect of it.

If he plays well and we make the playoffs, then we simply try to resign him.

If he plays well and it looks like we don't make the playoffs, you imply trade him at the deadline for a draft pick.

If he plays terrible and we make the playoffs, we simply have another guy on the team that can get hot randomly and then we have options in the offseason with him.

If he plays terrible and we don't make the playoffs, you get what you can for him at the deadline and move on.

Well done JR. Very little risk and potentional HUGE reward.

A bit much? The amount almost means nothing in this case. It's a 1 year deal. If he doesn't work out, he goes. No biggie.

My first reaction was that the signing was laughable simply based on $7 mil. But I agree, for just one year, it's worth taking the shot.

What a fantastic signing. One way of looking at is he's KILLED the Canes and is the primary reason they Caps have dominated us. But beyond that, getting him at one year is HUGE. 7 million for just one season is really no different that signing three 3rd liners, which we seem to do just about every offseason. But what I like about it is the "get out of it" aspect of it.

If he plays well and we make the playoffs, then we simply try to resign him.

If he plays well and it looks like we don't make the playoffs, you imply trade him at the deadline for a draft pick.

If he plays terrible and we make the playoffs, we simply have another guy on the team that can get hot randomly and then we have options in the offseason with him.

If he plays terrible and we don't make the playoffs, you get what you can for him at the deadline and move on.

Well done JR. Very little risk and potentional HUGE reward.

This! I'm really excited about this signing, particularly because we didn't have anything to lose but money by signing him. I was prepared for another heartbreaker of a trade if I had to be, but I'm glad I didn't. (I'm happy to have Jordan, but miss Sutter tremendously!)

Has anyone considered Semin and Skinner on the same line? Think of the dazzling playmaking and skill that the D wold have to deal with if both were out there together.

Has anyone considered Semin and Skinner on the same line? Think of the dazzling playmaking and skill that the D wold have to deal with if both were out there together.

No one would pass the puck

No one would pass the puck

I hear ya, unless they had chemistry and set eachother up. I guess on the power play we're going to get to see all of them playing together. E.Staal, J.Staal,Skinner,Semin,Corvo most likely first unit. I'll take it anyday.

I hear ya, unless they had chemistry and set eachother up. I guess on the power play we're going to get to see all of them playing together. E.Staal, J.Staal,Skinner,Semin,Corvo most likely first unit. I'll take it anyday.

Wow, that gave me the chills! Drop the puck already, can't wait!

When is the bobblehead night? :)

I'll say this, I picked a good year to get season tickets. It is going to be very different this year, and that's cool.

So, like RNT, I was away from computers. I heard through the grapevine about this and could get no information. ESPN? HA! The paper in the city I was visiting was talking about their MLB and NFL teams only. No hockey info. Drove me crazy! maybe time to get a smartphone. I'm back now and this was a good thread. I want to say reading the posts from our Russian friends has been great. Love to see that, what a small world. Welcome to our board and thanks for posting.

Finally, my predictions about everything this season have been terribly wrong. Man, I'm glad nobody is tracking my performance.

Edited by wxray1

How many shoot out wins did the Hurricanes have last year?

How many shoot out losses?

Was any team in the NHL worse?

No.

What team in the NHL had the worst record after a tied regulation?

The Carolina Hurricanes 4 wins, 12 losses.

IF we had just gone .500 after ties, we would have had 5 more wins.

First, I doubt that will happen again just by chance alone.

Second, Semin and J.Staal will help with the OT wins.

Third, Semin is a decent shootout player with about a 40% scoring rate over the last 4 years, and 50% last year.

Fourth, we stunk out loud 4 on 4 (part of why we lost so many OT games). OK, I don't have the stats for Semin and JStaal 4 on 4, but I bet they're good.

Just more to chew on.

Just a bit more to build excitement about this brilliant move.

Last year Semin was the Caps #2 point producer. Sure Backstrom missed half the season, but even with that factored in, Semin was by far the #3 guy.

Further, even with the third line time he put up only 11 points less than Ovechkin in one fewer games. And was +9 Vs. Ovies' -8.

Ovechkins' numbers were also WAY down last year which was WAY down from the year before. The exact time frame Semin's numbers are down.

If a change of scenery and a new lease on hockey life can return Semin to his glory days he will put up more than a point per game. I'm betting it happens.

I read an article on bleacher report where Eric Staal is one of the favorites for this years MVP. If Semin does fit in, expect a 100 point + season from the captain. He is playing with the most skilled player that this team has ever seen.

I read an article on bleacher report where Eric Staal is one of the favorites for this years MVP. If Semin does fit in, expect a 100 point + season from the captain. He is playing with the most skilled player that this team has ever seen.

Eric generates so much offense having a guy like Semin that can finish will probably mean Staal could have 60 or 70 assists and they both could be in the 35-45 goal range!!

I don't think its going to matter all that much. All this really does is eliminate excuses for Semin of being held back and more importantly Eric Staal. He can't he doesn't have talent around him to take the pressure off him or his line.

The other thing you have going for you is you're in the Southeast which isn't that strong, especially with the Panthers taking a step back this summer. Winnipeg added the real Jokinen, while you guys still have the 'other' Jokinen but if you can string 3-4 wins at a time and keep prolonged losing streaks to a minimum you probably have a fair shot at winning the division.

I still say the Capitals are a more complete team from top to bottom.

Overall though, this thread is sort of funny.

I don't think its going to matter all that much. All this really does is eliminate excuses for Semin of being held back and more importantly Eric Staal. He can't he doesn't have talent around him to take the pressure off him or his line.

The other thing you have going for you is you're in the Southeast which isn't that strong, especially with the Panthers taking a step back this summer. Winnipeg added the real Jokinen, while you guys still have the 'other' Jokinen but if you can string 3-4 wins at a time and keep prolonged losing streaks to a minimum you probably have a fair shot at winning the division.

I still say the Capitals are a more complete team from top to bottom.

Overall though, this thread is sort of funny.

I don't think we got Semin for his excuses. I think we got him to help out our top 6 . The hope is Semin will use this season to show the league what he can do. Staal will be alright with or without Semin. I never heard Staal make an excuse.

If the Caps goalkeeping holds up and Ov return to form they will be a tough opponent in the southeast. Your Atlantic division is always tough. Rangers look like the best of the division and Philadelphia always seems to be among the toughest and most motivated come playoff time.

Listening to a couple of guys on NHL station on XM this morning talking about the craziness of taking a high powered offense like Washington had and telling them to focus on checking and asking, how is that working out for you? The whole Capitals' offense has been held back including Semin. Just watch what he does this year.

Our offense will be in the top 5 in the NHL. Mark it down.

Our issue will be trying to make Cam Ward less of a punching bag. If we figure that one out, we're as good as almost anyone in the league.

Not sure if that's funny, but I will be laughing a lot at the PNC center.

I don't think we got Semin for his excuses. I think we got him to help out our top 6 . The hope is Semin will use this season to show the league what he can do. Staal will be alright with or without Semin. I never heard Staal make an excuse.

If the Caps goalkeeping holds up and Ov return to form they will be a tough opponent in the southeast. Your Atlantic division is always tough. Rangers look like the best of the division and Philadelphia always seems to be among the toughest and most motivated come playoff time.

I wouldn't really worry about the Atlantic or the Northeast. Just worry about your own division, because that's the only one you have to win.