The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
TSA

Could Seattle get an expansion team?

Investor calls Seattle “the best market in the United States that does not have a hockey team”

- NBC Sports

The city of Seattle received some solid public relations on Thursday in the form of AHL Chicago owner Don Levin.

Levin told the Seattle Times the city is the best U.S. market without a team at the moment and, in an effort to bring the NHL to the Emerald City, he’s prepared to invest $100 million.

“It’s probably the best market in the United States that does not have a hockey team demographically,” Levin told The Times. “I imagine there’d be thousands of Canadians that would come to every game because they can’t get into the building in Vancouver because it’s sold out and it’s such a good team.

Full article here

I have to think that Seattle, Kansas City, and Houston are the top 3 US markets the NHL is interested in. Seattle is similar to Raleigh in some ways actually, well-educated, high technology, etc. The only thing they don't have at the moment is a suitable arena, which is something both Kansas City and Houston have.

Things could have changed, but my understanding is that Seattle would also need a basketball team to go along with the hockey team. Additionally, they don't have an arena yet. But wow that would be a great rivalry with Vancouver! KC has the arena but no tenents... so they got a leg up I think. I am very curious about the possibility of phoenix folding, then allocating one or two expansion teams. The players on the yotes would then go to a draft for the other teams. The NHL gets way WAY more cash from expansion fees then it does for relocation.

Things could have changed, but my understanding is that Seattle would also need a basketball team to go along with the hockey team. Additionally, they don't have an arena yet. But wow that would be a great rivalry with Vancouver! KC has the arena but no tenents... so they got a leg up I think. I am very curious about the possibility of phoenix folding, then allocating one or two expansion teams. The players on the yotes would then go to a draft for the other teams. The NHL gets way WAY more cash from expansion fees then it does for relocation.

Interesting...I didn't know that. Plus, how would it look if they move a team from a non-viable market into another unknown market? Although Seattle makes a lot of sense for its location alone.

Seattle hockey could work. And man, those people deserve to get their SuperSonics back.

Still hoping one day Hartford gets their Whalers back. Hurricanes-Whalers games would be awesome.

Moving an existing team like Phoenix to Seattle wouldn't be creating a "new" franchise.

I've been hearing about the Seattle hockey market for a while, also Kansas City. I've also heard a hockey team in Seattle is contingent on getting pro basketball back as well.

Who can predict this stuff, but it's good that there are other US markets that might work.

Moving an existing team like Phoenix to Seattle wouldn't be creating a "new" franchise.

I've been hearing about the Seattle hockey market for a while, also Kansas City. I've also heard a hockey team in Seattle is contingent on getting pro basketball back as well.

Who can predict this stuff, but it's good that there are other US markets that might work.

The whole Thrashers situation reminded me how quickly these things can get rolling though. We knew they had problems, but the NHL was propping up a few franchises and were fighting tooth and nail for. Next thing we knew, the thrashers were packing their bags and the Jets were back. The situation in PHO could change over night one way or another. Must be tough on both their fans and players.

Well it looks like Phoenix is staying around for another season if there's no lockout.

The Coyotoes were my team before the hurricanes came and I love the team but the fans really have no excuse. A winning team in recent years and cheap tickets so there really is no reason not to go. I would absolutely love if Phoneix moved to Seattle. If not there, then any other deserving American city. Why? Because I'm sick of the canadian entitlement that is constantly shouted on tsn most from the eastern Canadian market.

a relocation rather than an expansion makes better sense. If the 'Yotes fans do not support their team after the year they just had, they have no excuse if the team moves

There has been a lot of rumblings and some flat out predictions by columnist saying that expansion to 32 teams is almost inevitable. I personally would love two more teams. A team in Seattle and another team in Canada then you can relocate some struggling franchises if needed.

I think the dilution of talent argument is stupid. With salary cap that evens things out alittle but fans of these Canadian markets would kill to have an nhl team and to be able to wath NHL talent be it on their team or the opposing team. The sport is growing in us markets and the talent level fluctuates naturally in the nhl. Good talent comes and goes. Some of the proposals I saw would even out divisions and give us a true south east division where Florida and Tampa are not in the north east or Atlantic division.( that was the stupidest thing I saw during the last reallignment talk.)

I would be looking forward to it especially with Seattle getting a franchise.

New rumor going around is the Sacramento Kings might be relocated to Seattle. If that happens then the door to getting an NHL team will probably also fling open.

Would create an instant rivalry with the Canucks.

With the new Phoenix situation I could very well see them moving to Seattle expecially since its basically inevitable that the Sac. Kings will be going to Seattle. It makes more sense to put an established franchise that has had recent on ice success in a new America market instead of putting a expansion team that would be mediocre to poor for a few years. Give the new market a good product for a few years.

Give the two expansions to the Canadian teams who will support the team no matter.what. It still kills be that these hockey writers and "traditionalist" think that expansion is stupid. They say that financially it wouldn'tt make sense. I agree if we are talking about putting two more teams in a southern market but you are going to put them in Canada where the teams will be financially successful without a doubt. How is that going to hurt the league more than what we have now. It just means more revenue sharing dollars into the pot.

It's the morons that talk contraction that really piss me off.

Seattle hockey could work. And man, those people deserve to get their SuperSonics back.

Still hoping one day Hartford gets their Whalers back. Hurricanes-Whalers games would be awesome.

Actually, I believe Seattle is working on getting the Sacramento Kings, so if this is the case, they would be in the lead for a NHL franchise.

Why? They didn't support the Sonics ONE BIT!!! And that's why they relocated to OKC and are selling out left and right. Seattle can support a NHL franchise. Good luck supporting the Kings when they move from Sacramento.

Why? They didn't support the Sonics ONE BIT!!! And that's why they relocated to OKC and are selling out left and right. Seattle can support a NHL franchise. Good luck supporting the Kings when they move from Sacramento.

If I'm not mistaken the fans supported the team just fine but the city/state didn't want to spend ~$500 mil to update the old Key Arena. Now the Kings have deep pockets owners who are going to build a new arena in Seattle with a minimum of public money.

If I'm not mistaken the fans supported the team just fine but the city/state didn't want to spend ~$500 mil to update the old Key Arena. Now the Kings have deep pockets owners who are going to build a new arena in Seattle with a minimum of public money.

This is correct, the fans supported the team just fine, the owner didn't want to put any of his money into the arena, and wanted the city to fork it all up, which they didn't want to do, so they left when the lease was up, similar to what happened with the Charlotte hornets.

Edited by Ichigo-1