The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
canesfan06

Skinnnnerrrrrr! contract extended - CONFIRMED

Jim Rutherford ‏@HurricanesGM

It looks like we are going to be able to get Jeff Skinner tied up for a number of years. Exciting news for our franchise.

Excellent news. Speculation on a 5 year extension. Nothing official yet, but that takes a little worry for next season off my mind!

Official release:

Canes Sign Jeff Skinner to Six-Year Extension

2010-11 Calder Trophy winner has 107 points in 146 career games

Wednesday, 08.08.2012 / 9:45 AM / News By Terrell Williams

RALEIGH, NC – Jim Rutherford, President and General Manager of the National Hockey League’s Carolina Hurricanes, today announced that the team has signed forward Jeff Skinner to a six-year contract extension. The deal will pay Skinner $4,350,000 in 2013-14 and $6 million per season from the 2014-15 season through the 2018-19 season. “Jeff is a cornerstone player for our team, and his long-term commitment to the Hurricanes is great news for our franchise and our fans,” said Rutherford. “At 20 years old, he is still in the very early stages of his career, and we felt it was important to ensure he would be spending much more of it in Raleigh.”

8475784.jpg

Jeff Skinner Career stats

GOALS: 51 | ASST: 56 | PTS: 107

SOG: 425 | +/-: -5

Skinner, 20, completed his second NHL season in 2011-12, ranking second among Hurricanes skaters in goals (20) and third in points (44) in 64 games played. The Markham, Ont., native was third on the team in power-play assists (9) and power-play points (13), and fourth on the team in power-play goals (4), despite missing 16 games due to a concussion. The Hurricanes’ first pick, seventh overall, in the 2010 NHL Entry Draft, Skinner (5’11”, 193 lbs.) won the Calder Trophy as the NHL’s top rookie in 2010-11, ranking first among league rookies in points (63), second in assists (32) and third in goals (31). He scored his 30th goal on April 6, 2011, against Detroit, becoming the youngest player in franchise history and the seventh-youngest player in NHL history to score 30 goals (18 years, 325 days). Skinner became the youngest All-Star in NHL history when he skated for Team Staal at the 2011 NHL All-Star Game in Raleigh at the age of 18 years, 259 days, breaking the record set by Steve Yzerman (18 years, 267 days) in 1984. In 146 career NHL games with the Hurricanes, Skinner has totaled 51 goals, 56 assists (107 points) and 102 penalty minutes.

Prior to turning professional, Skinner totaled 141 points (77g, 64a) and 106 penalty minutes in 127 career games for Kitchener of the Ontario Hockey League (OHL). In 2009-10, he became the first Kitchener Ranger in 23 years, and the only Canadian Hockey League (CHL) player in his draft class, to score 50 regular-season goals. Skinner has also represented Canada at several international competitions, including the 2011 and 2012 IIHL World Championships.

Edited by TSA

If we pick up another defenseman, who goes? We have six now and maybe Murphy.

Jim Rutherford ‏@HurricanesGM

It looks like we are going to be able to get Jeff Skinner tied up for a number of years. Exciting news for our franchise.

Excellent news. Speculation on a 5 year extension. Nothing official yet, but that takes a little worry for next season off my mind!

That would be great news.

I was listening to some NHL talk on XM and they were going on about how the third year in the league was often a breakout year for talented players. They predicted break out years for Hall and Seguin and I was just waiting for them to mention the Calder winner. But there are several reasons why Skinner could really breakout this year.

If we sign Skinner to an extension it would be great news. If somebody missed the memo it would put everyone on notice we are building for the now and the future and we aren't going to waste time doing it.

Mike McKenzie saying it is 6 years aav of 5.725 mil great deal if that is the case.

Really great deal, glad JR is getting it done now as opposed to next off season where he can get offer sheeted.

Actually, correction: if there's a rollback from the 57% the NHLPA gets to 50%, then this will be a really great deal. If not, it would be just a tad bit of an over payment.

Edited by Blinding

Skinner extension had to be done. With the whole Weber offer sheet thing...JR had to know someone might come after Skinner.

It is Bob McKenzie reporting it...Mike is his son, & a former Cane prospect who just retired from playing...I think he is looking at getting into coaching.

Might be an overpayment, but how much of an overpayment would have been a Philly, or any other teams crazy offer sheet...This is the right move for the Canes to lock him up for the next 7 years including his last year on his ELC.

This has to go down as one of the best offseason in Canes history. JR has done his job...Canes have got talent...now it is up to Muller, & the players to preform!!!

Is it October yet>>>> :tailgate:

One can argue it was overpayment. However, nobody knows what Skinner's production will be like with Jordan as his center. He might very well put up 70 points making this signing awesome.

I think you've got to factor in that the last years of this deal are 5 and 6 years from now. The next two years we are getting a huge bargain on what is likely to happen on the ice. This kid is already a star. Six years from now Skinner will be like Nash or Parise. Plus, Skinner sells tickets. I can tell you I want to see him play in person more than any other single player on the team.

JR has really locked down the inner core for a nice 5 year run. Both Staals and Skinner and Ward. The innermost 4 core is secure. I have read that you need 4 All Stars and a good supporting cast to make deep playoff runs.

With all the JStaal and Semin talk, and Skinner having an injury semi sophomore slump, Skinner is a touch overlooked this offseason.

Again, year three is often the breakout year for highly talented players. That would be this year. If he stays healthy Skinner will chase 40 goals.

(Man I am full of predictions, not sure if I put that one on my predictions post).

GREAT signing. By FAR the best offseason since I became a fan.

Oh yeah, and GO CANES!woohoo.gif

In the words of my husband, "Jeff Skinner just made himself a VERY eligible bachelor."

Kidding aside, I love the lock-in by top, skilled players. Who knows, maybe Semin will have found his niche, too.

teddy-kgb.jpg

Pay that man his money...

Awesome JR! Good Job.

I love the Rounders reference.

This was a deal that needed to be done this offseason as opposed to next. And it's great that we have our core guys solidified for the next few years. Exciting times for Canes fans. Now, let's hope this offseason success actually turns into in-season success. GO CANES!

Congrats Jeff. Congrats JR. Congrats all Canes fans!!!

JR makes the Minn Wild's GM look like a risk-taking fool.

JR spent $101-million for JORDAN STAAL + SEMIN + SKINNER!!!!

Minnesota spent $198-million for Parsie and Suter.

Way to go JR!!!!

My wife gave me the great news.... so, lets get that tough guy to protect Jeff, who can skate and put the puck in the net occasionally.... who will this mystery man be?

good to see the guy locked down for an extended time. too bad he can't legally lift a cold one to celebrate

If he's back home in Toronto he can. Drinking age here is 19.

Edited by ScottTenorman

Way to go JR!!!!

Very good point... very good!

A couple other thoughts. In addition to eliminating crazy offer sheets next year, the last two years of this deal would have been UFA years. Those will pay off for the team.

Also, what momentum!

On one level the Canes are saying: "Did we get your attention gaining and locking up Jordan Staal?" "How about signing Semin?"

OK how about now? Locking Skinner down for years and years?" Do you believe yet?

And, as others have mentioned generally....ultimately we probably need a big time dman to be truly elite. Think that guy might think twice about passing on Carolina now?

Skinner mentioned how he really liked living here and didn't really think he knew anyone on the team that didn't like living here.

The future is bright.

Edited by remkin

Phew that's a lot of moolah for a 60 point player...but of course the hope is he develops into a 80+ point player eventually. Either way he is a cornerstone of the franchise!

It's a lot of money, but pays for itself. Skinner hits a segment of the market that no one else does with his popularity.

In the middle of the interview, Jeff makes mention of his self awareness of wanting to handle a few situations differently going forward.

I'm really glad to hear that. He's very mature for his age, but still recognizes he has things to learn, and needs to change going forward.

Very encouraging.

Way to go JR!!!!

Well, since Jordie and Jeff don't see their extensions kick in until '13, the 'Canes are actually getting Semin, Staal and Skinner for $12.4 M next season. That's is about $2 M less than Minny will pay Parise and Suter next season. Nice.

Well, since Jordie and Jeff don't see their extensions kick in until '13, the 'Canes are actually getting Semin, Staal and Skinner for $12.4 M next season. That's is about $2 M less than Minny will pay Parise and Suter next season. Nice.

Actually, I though it was $22M for Parise next season (12 salary + 10 bonus).

So it's even better!

This is good stuff for an org like the Canes. They lock some guys up, hopefully get in the playoffs, and THEN the bigger salaries come into play. Good cash flow. The huge upfronts were something that JR couldn't digest, and I'm glad he didn't.