The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
TSA

Welcome new co-host Chantel McCabe to the broadcast team

I just hope she knows hockey, last woman we had was an airhead.

You decide:

And specifically hockey (east):

This summary is a little dated but Chantel is already an accomplished person and right for the canes.IMHO

NH, United States

Introduction

I'm a senior at UNH majoring in Sports Studies and Journalism. I have interned with WMUR Sports covering UNH athletics, Friday Night Football, and 'Fight to Educate' just to name a few. I write for The New Hampshire, the UNH student paper and put together video content for the website on occassion. I've been contributing as a video reporter for HockeyEastonline.com. I directed a road race to benefit the Children's Miracle Network. (http://nh5kcmnroadrace.webs.com/)I was a Boston Bruins Ice Girl for the 08-09 season, have done youth athletic research for the USTA, and worked on the Futures LPGA tour. I work with the Girl Scouts of America on camps and workshops within the GS of the Green and White Mountains Council. I am a delegate for the council for the National Conference. I compete in the Miss New Hampshire scholarship program which helps me pay my tuition. Recently I have been working on NESN.com features and hockeyeastonline.com video content.

Interests

sports, Miss America scholarship program, Girl Scouts, networking, community service, politics, traveling, ice hockey, golf, college athletics, writing, beach

Favorite Movies

Bridesmaids, Manchurian Candidate, 300, Avatar, Miracle, Date Night, The Hangover

Favorite Music

Drake, Lil Wayne, Kanye West, Sammy Adams, Black Eyed Peas, Britney Spears, Lady Gaga

Favorite Books

Jane Eyre

You left out "Sug" and Sweetie". Since when did celebrating the beauty of a woman become a bad thing. Being offended by words is taken way too far IMO in todays Politically correct(Oxymoron alert) world.

There were a lot of words I left out, because the interpretation of whether she'd like them was not in doubt. As a lifelong Southerner, one thing I was taught is to call folks what they like to be called. If they correct you, remember it. It's not politically correct, it's just manners.

For Chantel, I listened to the demo reel on YouTube. I'm willing to give her a chance, but with Tripp already signed for the season, we don't need an additional light-hearted entertainer providing comic relief. We need someone to provide information from inside the locker room that we wouldn't otherwise hear. I hope that's the role she takes on.

There were a lot of words I left out, because the interpretation of whether she'd like them was not in doubt. As a lifelong Southerner, one thing I was taught is to call folks what they like to be called. If they correct you, remember it. It's not politically correct, it's just manners.

For Chantel, I listened to the demo reel on YouTube. I'm willing to give her a chance, but with Tripp already signed for the season, we don't need an additional light-hearted entertainer providing comic relief. We need someone to provide information from inside the locker room that we wouldn't otherwise hear. I hope that's the role she takes on.

As a lifelong southerner myself, I'd like for somebody to explain how the word "gal" is offensive. It is pretty much the same as "guy" and I don't think most reasonable people would be offended by that. As for somebody saying that they don't care to be called something, that isn't what brought this up. Somebody inferred that it wasn't appropriate. I state that it is appropriate in my opinion.

I wish to be referred to as El Conquistador from now on.

As a lifelong southerner myself, I'd like for somebody to explain how the word "gal" is offensive. It is pretty much the same as "guy" and I don't think most reasonable people would be offended by that. As for somebody saying that they don't care to be called something, that isn't what brought this up. Somebody inferred that it wasn't appropriate. I state that it is appropriate in my opinion.

El Conquistador, you get to decide what you find as offensive. Other people have the same right for themselves. If you and they disagree, the two of you probably won't choose each other's company, and the planet will keep on spinning.

The problems generally arise when someone thinks they have a say in another's view of the world.

If your bored here's an interesting back and forth of stupidity article with comments.

First set started off with no one being offended, it quickly turned into somehow gal is an offensive term to demean southern women and at the peak it's a racist word for African American women. :facepalm2:

http://www.girlscantwhat.com/weekly-poll-is-the-word-gal-offensive/

The problems generally arise when someone thinks they have a say in another's view of the world.

We always have a say in this country. It is called Free speeach and an opinion, Hence the term IMO . The choice comes in the individual's "offense" to anothers opinion. Choose to be offended you will be.

Back on topic for a moment. In My opinion Chantel has shown by her credentials and resume the right stuff for the job. This includes more than in the locker room sound bites. IMO of course.

That was pretty much word-for-word what I was going to say... my Dad is from Albany, New York and he referrers to pretty much every woman as 'gal'. He also says 'guys'. This is a man who has never uttered a 'swear-word' in his life. This is such a stupid derailing from a legitimate thread. Did I make a joke earlier about Tripp (one that any real Caniac would certainly get)? Yeah, and apparently it offended someone. Well, sorry you are so sensitive - welcome to the internet. That's all the time I'm wasting on that.

Thanks for posting the video of Chantel McCabe's interviews, she's pretty impressive. She speaks really well and asks good questions - she's obviously a very intelligent young woman. I'm pretty excited to have her on board the Cane-train.

I feel like Bob was never given a chance and Tripp spent so much time being jealous he didn't let Bob work. So many awkward turn overs to Bob last season it was rather petty.

Maybe this is there way of getting rid of Tripp, what's the over under on Tripp making an unprofessional comment this season?

I mean hell the guy blamed a girl with a large chest this past season for distracting the team.

I didn't pay much attention to Harwood last season but I did like our broadcast team having a 3rd wheel on board. I'm glad we're getting another 3rd wheel. Hopefully Tripp won't scare her off.

i remember the chest comment by tripp, and remember my wife looking at me like i said it.

harwood seemed off kilter more than once, whether that was the broadcast crew miscuing him or tripp distracting him right before he was to go on air out of jealousy(sarcasm). for what it is worth, i like her so far, and who knows, maybe she will stay for awhile. maybe, like legend said, this could be tripps gentle putting out to pasture. i like trip, but i don't care what the players had for lunch, or whether they went golfing, or how the staal family is doing on a day to day basis. nor do i want sunshine blown up my rear end when we suck.

basically, tripp has got on my nerves since the cup, pretty bad. a breath of fresh air might do some good. all this is pointless though, till we have a season that is not locked out, with games to be played, that have been picked up by fox sports carolinas for broadcast.

Hi everyone,

I had the chance to chat with Chantel McCabe about starting her new gig with the 'Canes - you can check out the interview here:

http://www.sholdmedi...chantel-mccabe/

Chantel-New-590x260.png

SMG Featured Profile: Chantel McCabe

4 Feb 2013 Chantel McCabe by Taylor Shold

Chantel McCabe is a success story if there ever was one. Just two years ago she was a sports management student, now she’s the face of the Carolina Hurricanes broadcast team. Chantel joined the Hurricanes broadcast team as the host and rinkside reporter at the start of this season. So many of the Shold Media Group membership is trying to move from college or minor league broadcasts and into the big leagues. Chantel took that big step in the off-season.

Chantel comes to the Carolina Hurricanes Broadcasts from Springfield, MA, where she has served as a general assignment reporter for WGGB-ABC 40. Along with her work at ABC 40, the New Hampshire native has served as a sideline reporter for Major League Lacrosse (MLL), and covered events for the New England Sports Network (NESN) and Hockey East. McCabe graduated from the University of New Hampshire where she covered news, politics and sports for the school’s student-run newspaper The New Hampshire. Taylor Shold, founder of the Shold Media Group had a chance to talk with Chantel about starting her new gig and how she made the jump into the pro-ranks just two years removed from university.

Taylor Shold: How has networking helped your career?

Chantel McCabe: There are a lot of great things that come from networking. Obviously it’s nice to know people who could help you get to a job but you never know how that connection can develop. It’s funny how small the world is. Not everyone is friendly but being approachable and being positive can really benefit in the future. People remember how you make them feel.

Taylor: How did you land your new job with the Hurricanes broadcasts?

Chantel: With very limited broadcast experience and not knowing a ton about the Hurricanes, as soon as I found a way to get into the mix for an audition I read as much as I could about the history of the organization, the players, the front office staff, etc. I interviewed with John Forslund, our tv play by play personality, the team’s broadcast director and the GM. I had to do mock interviews and mock in game hits on the locker room changes and other topics. Even though I hardly touched on everything I knew about the team in my interview, it was important to me that I went in prepared and familiar with the organization. I think that made a big impact.

Taylor: Talk about your first broadcast with the Hurricanes, it had some challenges didn’t it?

Chantel: I had a pretty wild ‘rookie initiation’ for my first broadcast. As I was about to interview Eric Staal on the bench, my stage light caught fire. I then went to interview the team’s owner, and the camera was unplugged and my IFB connection was gone, and I had no idea where the reverse camera was or what was happening in the show. Plus there were a bunch of kids and parents on the small platform we were using, unexpectedly, which made the situation even more challenging. I knew that the broadcast had it’s struggles with technical issues and me being so new, I just thought to myself that I have to hang on and use my frustration to really make the next show that much better…and that’s what I did.

Taylor: What has been the biggest thrill or surprise since starting your new job?

Chantel: I’m very fortunate to be here. I thought covering NHL hockey would be something that would happen several years in my future, not a year out of getting a sports management degree. I have a lot to learn but I am so pleasantly surprised by how fantastic the Hurricanes organization is. I was timid and unsure of myself at first, but the staff is so welcoming and this team is full of players who are down to earth and easy to approach which makes my job that much better.

Taylor: What were your feelings about having to move away from home to take this gig?

Chantel: I never thought I would leave New England but I couldn’t say no to this job. I really enjoy the Raleigh area, and might never leave now. I’ve always been very independent, so I don’t really get homesick. I miss seeing college hockey sometimes and wish my girl friends came down to visit more often, but once it gets warmer down here, I probably won’t be able to get them to leave!

Taylor: What advice would you have for someone trying to make it in broadcasting?

Chantel: What worked for me is I was willing to learn anything. I ran the ticker at NESN just two years ago, and just chipped away, learning what was going on around me. Every semester but one, I had an internship somewhere, missed a lot of nights with friends to cover games, and pioneered two broadcast internships in sports that have helped others gain experience. I never said no to a project because learning by doing really helps me. Did I want to cover every sorority event for my school’s paper, or log hours of MLB video? Not particularly, but the more you do, the more you know.