The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
iguanadon

Time for fans (season ticket holder) to draw a line in the sand.

As a frustrated season ticket holder, I'd like to start a movement, a mission, draw a line in the sand.

Now that regular season games have been cancelled as of today's announcement by the NHL, it's time for the fans to speak up, with their wallets.

If you're a season ticket, or mini-plan holder how about we set a deadline of Thanksgiving as the make or break date that if a new CBA has not been agreed to, we request a refund of the money the Canes have of ours with a promise to not come back the rest of this season (if there is a season) OR next season.

Until the owners and players start hearing from fans by way of cancelled ticket orders, they're perfectly happy letting this fiasco continue. I'm willing to give them about another 6 weeks. Plenty of time to work something out.

I'm no renegade, I've never protested anything in my life and I am not riled up in any way. I'm simply trying to find a way to get a message to the NHL, owners and players. I'm just disappointed that there have been 3 lockouts in less than 20 years. That's no way to run a professional sports league.

I'd like to hear peoples thoughts. Agree or disagree. Chime in.

Iggy

I can't agree more. I wish there had been an organized protest outside PNC during the Lockout Farcical last weekend.

Am going to re-post what I did in other thread about the Carnival here...this is a letter I sent to WRAL and the N&O after we were treated like total garbage by the Hurricanes staff.

My wife and I have had a 12-game package in the upstairs Balcony Premier section since 2006 (every year). The 2012-13 cost for these tickets would have been about $960 (as per the Hurricanes' website). A few months ago we decided to move to better seats and nearly quadruple our investment in the team - and we agreed to purchase seats downstairs for the full season (at a cost of around $3360). We have already been billed and remitted over $2000 to the Hurricanes.

As the strife and rhetoric around the current lockout continued, my wife and I became increasingly dissatisfied with out decision to spend so much of our dispensable income on an organization that did not seem to value its fans enough to not have a second work stoppage in less than a decade. Also, the policy of the Hurricanes that they can and would hold onto our $2000 investment indefinitely (at 5% simple interest) meant that, should hockey be cancelled this season, we would be left with no dispensable income for entertainment (all of it is sunk into the team) and there would be no hockey to watch. They have no qualms about holding our money until next October with replacement players should they want. Thus, last Friday (28 Sept), I called my Hurricanes' ticket rep and asked to be moved back to where we had been over the past 6 years, and to refund the difference of the costs of those two sections to us. We acquiesced to the idea that the Hurricanes would still be holding onto over $500 of our money indefinitely with no promise of games, but we were comforted at least a bit by their offer of the 5% interest. We really wanted to retain at least some relationship with the team we enjoyed.

Comes to turn out the Hurricanes care even less about us than we realized. I learned this week that, should we choose to move back upstairs and allow the Hurricanes only to hold onto more than $500 of our hard-earned money, we would NOT be eligible for that 5% interest. I asked why, and I was told (by ticket rep Jonathan Kramer) that the Hurricanes would NOT honor the 5% offer since I was demanding some of my money back. So, in other words, they were saying that I could either let them hold the full $2000 hostage indefinitely, or I could let them hold onto $500 plus WITH NO RECOMPENSE whatsoever, indefinitely. They were punishing us for having the nerve to say, 'hey, we can't have $2000 tied up with no prospect of getting anything for it for many months, so please only keep $500 hostage.'

So we cancelled.

The final insult - they claim it takes 3 weeks or more to get a refund.

I just emailed my ticket rep:

====

I just wanted to let you know that I've set Thanksgiving as a line in the sand. If there is no new CBA by then, I'll be requesting a refund and cancelling my season tickets. At a minimum for the next 2 years. I'm telling you this only so you can let the powers that be know that at least 2 fans are fed up and will not be back. I simply can't give my hard earned money to either the owners or the players when they see no problem with having 3 lockouts in the past 20 years.

No need to reply or call me, I appreciate your situation and I hope for your sake something happens soon so you don't lose your job along with hundreds of others

Edited by iguanadon

Signed, I don't have a whole lot of money tied up compared to some, I just have mini plan. But this was going to be our first year as season ticket holders, and it has left a foul taste. I canceled most of my other entrainment options to do this. I canceled my cable subscription, I planned on canceling gamecenter (which wouldn't be used now but could have been placed for some other online sports), I canceled all of my online gaming (yeah I am a nerd :P). So what am I left with for the next 13 months if they can the season? The Canes are on the road for most of October, so in all honesty I am not missing much this month. November is crunch time. I have time off from work, holidays are coming up, traveling to visit family... suddenly I have several hundred dollars that I am lending to a group of multimillionaires. They got until Nov. 22nd, then that money is going towards Christmas and a few home repairs that were put on hold.

edit: I have 3 seats btw in the mini-plan. This was suppose to be a great weekend experience for my family, my young impressionable three year old currently refers to all sports as hockey. I don't think that will last if we lose 1/2 a year or the entire year.

Edited by Ichigo-1

I have a fair amount of cash tied up in tickets with 2 seats for the full season and 2 seats with a 12-game plan. I'm in for the long haul. If I asked for a refund I'd just go spend that money I've already paid on something else.

I know for a fact even if I asked for a refund I'd be back, so I figure get the 5% and keep my priority.

I just emailed my ticket rep:

====

I just wanted to let you know that I've set Thanksgiving as a line in the sand. If there is no new CBA by then, I'll be requesting a refund and cancelling my season tickets. At a minimum for the next 2 years. I'm telling you this only so you can let the powers that be know that at least 2 fans are fed up and will not be back. I simply can't give my hard earned money to either the owners or the players when they see no problem with having 3 lockouts in the past 20 years.

No need to reply or call me, I appreciate your situation and I hope for your sake something happens soon so you don't lose your job along with hundreds of others

Have you heard back?

Have you heard back?

Not yet I just sent the email at the time I posted the text. Usually takes him a few days to reply to me, or call me, not that I email him often, but I also said there was no need to reply or call me.

Nothing to talk about, I spoke with him 4 weeks ago when it looked like the lockout date of Sept 15 would arrive with no new CBA. He had told me that "this time feels completely different than 2004" in that the Hurricanes had prepared the staff in advance of the lockout that things weren't going well and they'd likely be laying folks off, whereas nothing like that happened this time around. Yet.

Not yet I just sent the email at the time I posted the text. Usually takes him a few days to reply to me, or call me, not that I email him often, but I also said there was no need to reply or call me.

Nothing to talk about, I spoke with him 4 weeks ago when it looked like the lockout date of Sept 15 would arrive with no new CBA. He had told me that "this time feels completely different than 2004" in that the Hurricanes had prepared the staff in advance of the lockout that things weren't going well and they'd likely be laying folks off, whereas nothing like that happened this time around. Yet.

Yes, the staff has been reassured by Jim Rutherford that no one would layed off and he's a man of his word. I wonder how many others have Thanksgiving as their target date before requesting a refund? The closer we get to the holidays without hockey, the more apt people will be to request refunds imo.

I was checking my email just as the email came from the Canes about the cancelled games. I immediately emailed my rep and told him that I'd see it through Thanksgiving, but that would probably be about it (hey, this was before I even saw this). He called me within 5 minutes of me sending the email. He said he forwarded my comments up the ladder and certainly understood my frustration. I have made it clear that my biggest issue is that the two sides aren't even trying.

I admire Coastal for sticking it out, but the incentives don't really outweigh the principle of the thing to me. The threat of losing the STH base is the only weapon we, as fans, have in this fight. This hurts both sides. There needs to be some communication between the NHL and the NHLPA.

I was checking my email just as the email came from the Canes about the cancelled games. I immediately emailed my rep and told him that I'd see it through Thanksgiving, but that would probably be about it (hey, this was before I even saw this). He called me within 5 minutes of me sending the email. He said he forwarded my comments up the ladder and certainly understood my frustration. I have made it clear that my biggest issue is that the two sides aren't even trying.

I admire Coastal for sticking it out, but the incentives don't really outweigh the principle of the thing to me. The threat of losing the STH base is the only weapon we, as fans, have in this fight. This hurts both sides. There needs to be some communication between the NHL and the NHLPA.

I'm with you on the principle of the thing. Do I want my money going into the pockets of owners and players that don't respect the fans enough to be able to play their sport without clashes to the point of cancelling games every 8 years.

NHL came back better and stronger after losing an entire season, I guess they figure it'll happen again. I wish them luck.

Yeah, this whole thing is starting to stink to high heaven. Teenage daughter says she'd rather have season tickets than a car, other two daughters looking for birthday games on Nov. 5 & Mar. 5. First time ever being able to buy season tickets. We were going to settle for just three and got so pumped at select-a-seat event we ponied up for a fourth. Man, am I ever torn...

Some of you may remember in my previous posts that I am a NC native born and raised, so in essence I am a homegrown fan, and have been a fan of this team since the Greensboro days. I've road tripped many places to see this team play over the years (Nashville, Washington, Long Island, Vancouver...and alot of trips to Raleigh from my previous duty station in TN or my hometown in Charlotte). One of my biggest joys was taking the road trip up to Vancouver from my current duty station near Tacoma in 2010 to see my home team play, the pride in wearing my jersey there, and being only one of about 5 in Rogers Arena with one on. I would normally be a STH were I living in NC but it’s obvious why I'm not.

I have been REALLY looking forward to that road trip again this month until recently when the league shot it all to hell. The league (and that means all entities involved in the hissy fit over tons of money that none of us fans will ever come close to realizing in our lifetimes). Since being based out here in 2007, the Vancouver dates have been the ONLY times I've been able to see my HOME team play in person, and am immensely upset that greedy rich people have taken it away from me, after all I and my brothers and sisters in the military do for them.....that may be a reach but I do feel that way.

This isn't the first time, either. The previous lockout occurred between two of my Iraq deployments, so I missed 3 seasons then, including our Cup championship in '06....and another in '09-'10 for Afghanistan.

Notice how I say "our" Cup championship? That one belonged to us fans as well....

I'm so incredibly mad at all of them right now....mad, disgusted, and sickened at the immense greed that the league has displayed without regard to the ones that enable them to enjoy their huge bankrolls and very comfortable lifestyle. That doesn't mean me, but all the others who derive regular income from league games and events.

I'm at the point where I really don't know what to do. Part of me is saying burn all my swag, videotape it, and send it to team ownership with a demand for a response to it....another part is say just hold on for a little longer. I really, really don't know what to do about my anger that would have a positive effect....on the league suits, on the owners, and on the players.

I do believe in all my heart the league does not care about the fans at all unless we all boycott games (especially the Winter Classic), organize large, peaceful demonstrations/protests at all the arenas, and have STHs show up in person demanding full refunds and cancelling plans for the year. Unfortunately, I'm a realist and know that won't happen, which is depressing to me as well.

To the owners: Honor the damn contracts you've given and quit whining about it, but realize the chickens are coming home to roost, and it's now biting you in the butts.....

To the players: It is an honor and a privilege to play in a top professional league, but it is NOT a right to make obscene amounts of money doing it. Your greed for more and more is part of what has brought us to this place this time.....if the shoe fits…..

To Bettman & Co.: You are the commissioner of this league. By default you are the leader of this league. You are responsible for the good and the bad, and we all know that it only takes one (or THREE so far) "aw sh**s" ruin a whole lot of "atta boys!," which you've managed to let happen under your watch. Any other place in the world a head of business would be canned if they had a record such as yours. If you need to learn about leadership I would gladly mail you and your staff an Army manual on the topic.

I do know this....If this season is lost I will never in my lifetime come back, and all my acquired mementos will go back to the team with an additional letter of disgust. Being that I am only one fan, and not a STH, I doubt they would care anyways.

If only I had an effective email address for the team I would copy and send this post there as well for all the good it would do....

And to those of you who took the time to read this, thank you for indulging my rant. I do feel better, but I also still feel the same.....

My family and I suffer thru the last lockout we had in 2004-2005 season. We were frustrated as you are now. That season also resulted in many fans cancelling their season tickets as many are talking about doing now. But it made no difference to the owners and the NHL. When the lockout ended fans once again rushed to buy season tickets. We are living in a state where hockey fans are fans. They may get upset from time to time but when it comes to watching hockey we all rush back to watch. Save yourself some headaches and seats too and just set back and relax. If thousands of us made it thru the lost season you will too.

Just to be clear, I'm not doing it for the 5%. ;) I'm doing it to be honest with myself. I love hockey. It's part of mine and my families life. Some of the best friends I have in the world I met because of the PNC parking lot. As much as I'd like to make some kind of statement on principle, I know I'll be back.

And in some small way, I hope that keeping my money on account may help save the jobs of the best support staff in pro sports, IMO.

I just can't believe that the Canes organization doesn't care about me and my family, and how this lockout is affecting us.

Well, that's my rant and I'm sticking to it. I'm sure I'm a small minority of fans that think this way, but there you have it. :)

Edited by coastal_caniac

. I love hockey. It's part of mine and my families life. Some of the best friends I have in the world I met because of the PNC parking lot.

For me personally, this is what hurts the most. More than just missing the games.

I just can't believe that the Canes organization doesn't care about me and my family, and how this lockout is affecting us.

I agree 100% and I would bet my life that everyone from Jim Rutherford on down is as frustrated and angry as most of us are. They've promised no layoffs but realistically if this goes on for the entire season, keeping an entire staff busy will become impossible and things will need to change. There's nothing the sales staff and front office folks want more than to be able to say "game on" and put this nightmare behind them. The NHL and NHLPA may take us fans for granted but this organization understands their fan base and the community it resides in. They know how hard it'll be to win back the fans and gain back trust.

I love hockey. It's part of mine and my families life. Some of the best friends I have in the world I met because of the PNC parking lot.

For me personally, this is what hurts the most. More than just missing the games.

Second that SD, hockey games are an event for our group, and we ply our trade with the best of them.

:tailgate:

Edited by coastal_caniac

My wife and I literally have plane tickets for 10/16-10/21, leaving from RDU to Anaheim, returning through San Jose. Does that sound like fun? It will be. Why did we plan this trip? Well, the Hurricanes were supposed to play Anaheim on 10/17, LA on 10.18, and San Jose on 10/20. Games that are now figments of imagination. This organization is spineless - Karmanos could have stood up for us. He chose to stay mute. It's cowardly.

Second that SD, hockey games are an event for our group, and we ply our trade with the best of them.

:tailgate:

Yup. We may not have had playoff caliber hockey for the last few years, but by God, we have had playoff quality tailgates.

"No peeing in the woods"

Bettman and Fehr, get this thing done.

:pray: :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray:

My wife and I literally have plane tickets for 10/16-10/21, leaving from RDU to Anaheim, returning through San Jose. Does that sound like fun? It will be. Why did we plan this trip? Well, the Hurricanes were supposed to play Anaheim on 10/17, LA on 10.18, and San Jose on 10/20. Games that are now figments of imagination. This organization is spineless - Karmanos could have stood up for us. He chose to stay mute. It's cowardly.

I'm in a similar boat. I have non-refundable plane tickets to Chicago for the game on December 28th.

I'm glad someone made this discussion. This topic needs to be replicated across the hockey fan world. I was thinking the other day how NHL fans need to have a role in the lockout "negotiations". Hockey fans need to be much more vocal than they have been, and need to hit the league where it hurts (tickets).

As has been mentioned before by some people, it would be great if advertisers played a role in the so called negotiations.

Pressure from third parties (fans, advertisers, etc) is needed in the hope that this whole debacle is resolved quicker.

Don’t know how it could be coordinated, but should announced the lockout will take the entire season, I would love to see a tsunami of STH and advertisers remove their support of their teams.

Don’t know how much it would improve things but at the very least it would feel good,, Sort of getting a game misconduct for running a hated opponent into the boards

This strike is really impacting my paltry post count relative to everybody's.

On a serious note, I'm more disgusted with both sides after reading so many thoughtful posts about friendship and what hockey means to us fans. There are no winners in all of this!

"No peeing in the woods"

Now I am offended. I draw the line in my sand at being OK to Pee in da woods... LOL