The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
iguanadon

Time for fans (season ticket holder) to draw a line in the sand.

Igg- how you feeling now that T-day is this week?

Are you actually calling for the refund this week?coverears.gif

Hi Greg,

Glad you asked as time is coming up. I've spoken with my ticket rep 3 times in the past 3 months. Great guy and I enjoy speaking with him. My last email to him that prompted the most recent call was me asking "If an agreement is made and a partial season is announced, can I opt out of the partial season and just keep my money with the Canes til next season."

Reason being, my wife, who is even more fanatical about the Canes and hockey than I am doesn't want to give up our seats and the little bit of status we have (and this is exactly what the Canes and NHL are counting on, I know), but I do not want to pay full price (per game) for a partial season. A partial season stinks and it's in the record books with an asterisk next to it. I have no desire to be a part of it. At best, if they come to terms, the season wouldn't start til approximately Dec 15 which means a 50 game season (assuming they don't try to squeeze extra games in which would be a logistical nightmare for all teams to try to handle).

The Canes answer to my question was No, if they announce a partial season, those with accounts must buy the partial season.

So, my scenario right now, so as to keep the peace in the household, is to hang on, but if they come to terms and announce a partial season I WILL close my account because I won't do the partial season thing. If the entire season is lost, we're holding on. Assuming they can hash it out by next September... :facepalm:

Edited by iguanadon

The Canes are a good organization with a great building and staff. I respectfully ask that folks not punish those that have nothing to do with this; front office, ticket people, concessions staff, PNC Arena staff, etc. Be mad at the NHL and the PA (I know I am), but dont hurt your own franchise and in some cases your neighbors.

While I agree 100% with what you are saying with the Canes staff, the only way the fans can influence things is through our wallets. I don' t begrudge anyone sticking it out, I understand, for me it was suppose to be my first season, and to not only be locked out, but to have made 0 progress in 11 months. I have a 3 year old who sees every sport as hockey, and now we are denied that bonding with my family because two sides can't act like adults and come to an agreement. What other options do I have? If the numbers get low enough maybe more owners will start to crack. I am sure PK is not too happy about how things are going, but it's his lockout as an owner, and he has to deal with the consequences. He can talk to the other owners, to Daly and Bettman, but we can't.

Edited by Ichigo-1

A ton of owners could crack but apparently only 8 are needed to support Bettman which seems awfully questionable.

However, in my assumption based, opinion and pulling numbers that don't exist from my *edit* would not be surprised if some teams are simply losing less money by not even playing.

I have zilch to back that up it's just my off the wall opinion that will soon be shoved down my throat :P

However, in my assumption based, opinion and pulling numbers that don't exist from my *edit* would not be surprised if some teams are simply losing less money by not even playing.

and this is why some owners have no problem with a season long lock-out

Spoke with my ticket rep and he said around 3% of STH's from last year had decided to take the refund. That's about what I figured. As usual, you mostly hear the squeaky wheels talk about drawing a line in the sand, making a statement and all that stuff, but I still bet the vast majority of folks will be back.

Spoke with my ticket rep and he said around 3% of STH's from last year had decided to take the refund. That's about what I figured. As usual, you mostly hear the squeaky wheels talk about drawing a line in the sand, making a statement and all that stuff, but I still bet the vast majority of folks will be back.

I wonder how many STH are taking my position and will ask for a refund if the entire season is cancelled…Wonder if the ticket office has called people to see about their plans.

I'm out. I emailed for my refund on Thanksgiving. My ticket rep emailed me that it had been processed and he called my seatmate and told him the same. I have talked to my rep a couple of times since the lockout started. That is 3 less they will have this year.

I don't know if I'm an outlier or not. It's just the principle to me. Am I hurting myself? Maybe. I will go back to buying individual tickets and attending some games every season. I'll obviously miss some playoff games (Playoffs? You're talking about playoffs?). Hockey is very important to me, but I'll need to temper my excitement for watching it live. If the league is going to continue to operate in this manner, it has no chance of succeeding in the smaller, non-traditional markets like Raleigh. Missing 1 out of every 8 seasons isn't a financial model that will allow the teams to survive. Contraction and/or movement will be the result. I felt that the best thing that I could do to voice my opinion was to make it known to management that I, as a fan, was not helpless here and I did have an option. It will take many more than just me to make a difference.

Did my actions do anything besides hurt the Canes and me? Probably not, but my ticket is the only leverage I had, and I used it. While the team isn't sharing cancellation information publicly, I'd have to think that they are sharing it with the other owners and the NHLPA. The PA needs to know because it is shrinking the pot of HRR. It certainly wasn't much, but on principle, I felt I did the right thing.

Received my check in the mail yesterday. Felt good to have that big check back. I'm actually going to take the check plus the money that I would of spent on food, merchandise and other items and put it away for a down payent on a new sports car at the beginning of next season. Then if there is a season next year I will take next years ticket money and pay the monthly payments for the car and so on and so on for a few more years until the car is paid off. So in a round about way giving up my season tickets will allow me to have the nice toy I always wanted and have something to show for my money. Will I ever get back to the games?.............yes I'll be buying cheap tickets on game night in the resell zone. Will I ever get season tckets again?.........thats up to the NHL. After this CBA situation is resolved I might buy tickets only if the next CBA is resolved without a lockout or strike.

I also know a few friends who have cancelled their season tickets and alot more casual fans who seem to not care anymore. And a 3% loss of a small pot is an even smaller pot

Edited by chefmjb

SD, my point was that a internet message board is probably not a good place to measure what most fans are going to choose to do. ;)

But I still might be an outlier. I want to be something.

I still say that if the business model that the league is using under Bettman keeps up, they are going to drive this ship into the rocks. Fans are not going to continue to come back time after time after lockouts. No other sport has come close to the NHL's level of work stoppages.

Edited by super_dave_1