The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
hopper915

Ruutu out until May

Well if there is a season, the Canes will be without Ruutu until May.

http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/8807270/tuomo-ruutu-carolina-hurricanes-forward-following-hip-surgery-source

The NHL and and its locked-out players may be inching closer toward a new collective bargaining agreement. But if training camp opens soon, the Carolina Hurricanes will have to start the season without Tuomo Ruutu, one of their key forwards.

Ruutu recently had hip surgery and is expected to be out until at least early May, a league source told ESPN.

The Hurricanes were aggressive in the offseason in adding Alexander Semin and Jordan Staal up front. But their spending started earlier last year, when they signed Ruutu to a four-year, $19 million contract extension in February, preventing him from hitting unrestricted free agency this summer.

Until signing that extension, Ruutu was the trade target of a number of contending teams near the deadline.

The versatile Ruutu finished last season with 18 goals in 72 games for the Hurricanes.

This is sad in a multitude of ways. This is the first real hockey related post other than cba crap that I have seen in a while. Sad that Ruutu is hurt bad enough to need surgery, and that recovery is going to take as long as it will.

On a more positive note, shouldn't Boucher be ready for backup now?

This is sad in a multitude of ways. This is the first real hockey related post other than cba crap that I have seen in a while. Sad that Ruutu is hurt bad enough to need surgery, and that recovery is going to take as long as it will.

I am not to worried about who will take his pace because the Checkers are in 1st place this year and with calling their players up to fill in spots we need like his will be worth it to me. But I do hope he gets better soon!!!