The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Law-Dawg

2013 In Season News, Practice Updates & In-between Game Talk

48 or 50 games, the NHL is back and it's time to actually start talking hockey!!!

Canes are gonna bring a mix of veterans and young exuberance and a brief but exciting training camp with Dalpe, Bowman and Boychuk fighting for a spot to take over Ruutu's spot in the line up. Other questions abound as Bobby Sanguinetti looks ready to make the jump and we need to see who is going to center the 3rd line as well. Here's my guess for the lineup to start the year off....

Tlustly E Staal Semin

Skinner J Staal Jokinen

Bowman B Sutter/Welsh/Nash LaRose

Dwyer Brent Nodl/Stewart

Although he may not be psyched about it, Jokinen could center the 3rd line and Dalpe, Boychuk or Bowman could slide up as a 2d line winger.

Hey guys, first the good news, I assume you've heard. It looks like we'll be back at the PNC pretty soon, and I *am* looking forward to it, and to seeing what the Canes "do" for the ticket holders.

At the same time, I want to make a "statement" as to how I, as one of those ticket holders, feel about the entire mess. To that end, I will indeed still wear my jersey to all games ... but ... it will be inside out.

From the colors, even inside out, it'll still be clear I'm a Hurricanes supporter. From not displaying the names and/or numbers of the players, I'm making a statement of disrespect to them, just as they have shown some disrespect to the fans, and from not displaying the team crest, I'm making a statement of disrespect to the ownership.

If you think this is a good idea for you as well, join me. If you join me, and you get asked why, tell 'em exactly why.

Let's see if we can get, for even ONE game, a statement created by a pile of inside out jerseys sitting in the stands and walking the parking lots and concourses.

Looking forward to seeing you all at the PNC soon.

Each team gets two buyouts, anyone the canes might consider either buying out or picking up from a buyout on a cheaper deal?

Each team gets two buyouts, anyone the canes might consider either buying out or picking up from a buyout on a cheaper deal?

I wonder if Zach Parise will get bought out :lol:

:sarcasmalert:

Not having Ruutu is going to be weird, I doubt we buy him out though. With a supposed average of 7 games every 14 days I'm willing to bet we're going to see a rotating door for the Checkers.

I'm guessing no. Ruutu has been mentioned because of the injury, but I doubt it. He's just resigned, and I think JR sees him as an important cog in the machine. He's going to be missed badly this year. But it is just this year, a screwed up year.

Canes are at $58M which is perfect. It says to the fans that the team is serious, spending decent money. Not at the cap, but not near the floor either.

Semin is a 7M hit, but it is now a 1/2 season try out. No reason to do anything there.

Pits? Nah, JR likes him.

And so far the players rumored to be bought out don't sound much like Canes material. I guess any priority would be to replace Ruutu. I doubt we'll see many prospects.

My guess is they stay put.

P.S. It is GREAT to talk hockey instead of CBA. I'm healing minute by minute. :)

Edited by wxray1

Alright hockey talk again. I just read Chip's story in the N&O. Looks like it could be a free for all to win the backup goalie spot.

Rutherford said he expected Boucher and Checkers goalies Justin Peters and Dan Ellis to compete for the backup spot behind Cam Ward, once camp begins.

NHL Union Reach Tentative Agreement - Chip Alexander N&O

x

From what I've read, training camp will open either Wed, Thurs or Fri depending on when the final paperwork gets signed and sealed. A few things have been addressed:

• Draft lottery will change. All 14 teams fully eligible for 1st pick overall. Weighting system may remain, but 4-move restriction out.
  • Decision on 2014 Olympics will be made outside CBA. Likely NHL will participate. IIHF and IOC discussions to come with league and PA.
  • Sup discipline: Shanahan 1st, appeal with Bettman 2nd. For 6 or more games neutral third party will decide if necessary.
  • Confirming revenue sharing will spread $200 million. Additionally, $60 mil PA initiated growth fund also included.

I'm sure more details will surface each hour but that's it for now that I found. Anyone know what a 4-move restriction with the draft lottery is? Oh yeah, the agreement goes to the Board of Gov's and the NHLPA for vote today. No snags please :notworthy:

Four move restriction meant you could finish ninth in the conference, win the draft lottery, yet could only pick as high as fifth selection. (I think that's how it was)

Four move restriction meant you could finish ninth in the conference, win the draft lottery, yet could only pick as high as fifth selection. (I think that's how it was)

Ahhh, got it. Thanks.

Really interested to see how Semin fits in on the team.

KHL (Torpedo Nizhny Novgorod) 20 games played 7 goals 9 assists 16 points

1/6/13 NHLer Alexander Semin had a goal in Novgorod's 5-3 win over Cherepovets.

Tlusty Staal Semin?

[quote name='OBXer' timestamp='1357496311' post='370780'.

Tlusty Staal Semin?

I think that's a possibility....first big question is who centers the 3rd line, if Nash/Welsh/Sutter are not ready for that role it may be Jussi, especially if Dalpe and/or Bowman show they are prepared to really make the jump.

Semin Staal Tlusty

Skinner Staal Dalpe/Bowman

LaRose Jokinen Dalpe/Bowman

Dwyer Brent Nodl/Stewart

I can't wait to see our star players who choose to not play somewhere look. Staal's been there done that before, Skinner however... I've got a bad feeling he's going to have a terrible first month.

The ice is going to be orange from all the rust.

Anybody know how they're going to handle the 10 game tryout thing?

And in the same vein, anybody watch enough of the junior championships to see if Murphy looked good?

I wonder if Murphy gets a shot at all.

Edited by remkin

And in the same vein, anybody watch enough of the junior championships to see if Murphy looked good?

I didn't watch enough either but some of the stuff I have read from our friends north of the border wasn't very complimentary of his play. It could have just been sour grapes since everyone in Canada seemed pretty upset at the losses to the USA and Russia and the fact they didn't medal.

It will be interesting to see if he is even invited to tryout camp in this shortened season.

I think that's a possibility....first big question is who centers the 3rd line, if Nash/Welsh/Sutter are not ready for that role it may be Jussi, especially if Dalpe and/or Bowman show they are prepared to really make the jump.

Semin Staal Tlusty

Dwyer Brent Nodl/Stewart

I think Sutter will get a long look at filling the 3rd or 4th line center spot.

From what I saw he should be converted to right wing. Bronze medal goal was on him where Russian blew by him and cut in front to score OT winner. Never touched him or looked like he wanted to.

Bob mcKenzie is tweeting the league wants a 50 game season with 5 games x divisional rivals and 3 games x conference rivals.

Ugh....that means a whole lot of the Caps, Bolts, Panthers and Jets (if they don't get switched). On a good note, that's one less game potentially in Raleigh against the Sabres :grin:

GM's are still waiting for the rules about call ups from Jr's.

:goodpost:

That's right. A 3-5 game losing streak for any team in this shortened season will mean a very short season with no playoffs.

That goes the other way too, one or two big win streaks could vault you ahead fairly quickly.

Semin Staal Tlusty

Dwyer Brent Nodl/Stewart

I really don't like moving Jussi out of the top 6. Our top 6 already took a hit with Ruutu's hip.

I wish I knew why they moved Dalpe out of the center in Charlotte because that's who I'd put there.

LaRose Dalpe Bowman/Boychuk

Just posting to see if I can. What is up with the board this morning?

Waiting for you to post maybe?

I'm wondering if there's been an overload of sorts since the news broke yesterday. I know some websites were a little slower than normal.