The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Law-Dawg

2013 In Season News, Practice Updates & In-between Game Talk

Even if they roll 4 lines West isn't going to be getting a ton of ice time, so the liability will be limited compared to what he hopefully brings in terms of enforcement. Brent from what I can recall (It's been too long...) was pretty reliable center and good on the faceoffs, so that should help.

Tlusty E.Staal Semin

Skinner J.Staal (Checker/Larose)

Dwyer Jussi (Checker/Larose)

West Brent (Wallace?/Nodl?)

Gleason Corvo

Faulk Joni

Harrison McBain

also this just in:

http://hurricanes.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=650354

Dalpe, Nash, and Sutter have been recalled from Charlotte. So add that to the mix.

Muller has hinted that he wants to use the 4th line more than many teams do. I expect Westgarth may get more ice time then we suspect. His biggest asset to me is he wants to be here. I think he might surprise us. He certainly adds the size and toughness we are looking for. Time will tell.

I've read that we need more bodies for the scrimmage so Dalpe, Sutter and Nash were given the call but we all know it is more than that. I think all three have a legitimate shot at a spot and least one might stick.

I think JR might have one more move before the season starts. Just a hunch.

I think JR might have one more move before the season starts. Just a hunch.

I'm having a hard time seeing where Nodl fits in.

Assuming we keep both Dwyer and LaRose, if we also kept Nodl, that would leave just one slot up front for a Checker including Bowman.

I just have to think they want to get a look at Dalpe at least, if not one last shot for Boychuk.

Mueller has indicated he's looking for serious scoring from the third line, to me that is not named Dwyer or Nodl, but could be named Bowman, Dalpe or Boychuk.

Yet Dwyer is a pro that does many little things.

Just not clear how the bottom 6 fill out, but seems that there are 1-2 too many wingers.

Just not clear how the bottom 6 fill out, but seems that there are 1-2 too many wingers.

I'm also having a difficult time seeing where the pieces fit. The one nice thing about this lockout shortened training camp is we won't need to wait very long to find out.

Nice to see Tlusty get some love on TSN

Jiri Tlusty, LW, Carolina - The second half of last season, when he scored 18 points in a 21-game stretch in February and March, really marked a breakout for Tlusty, who found himself skating alongside Eric Staal on the Hurricanes' top line. With Tuomo Ruutu injured, it's looking like Tlusty is going to have another opportunity to play in a scoring role this season. If he's alongside Staal and Alexander Semin, then Tlusty, who had 23 points in 24 games for Kladno in the Czech League during the lockout (skating with Tomas Plekanec and Jaromir Jagr), then Tlusty could continue his scoring ascent.

And Semin:

Alexander Semin, RW, Carolina - Back-to-back 54-point seasons would be great for many of those included on this list, but Semin had tallied 163 points in the previous two seasons and is one of the most talented players in the league, so mediocre production isn't becoming on him. Moving to Carolina, Semin has a chance to skate with Eric Staal on the number one line and potentially play more than the 16:47 per game he was getting in Washington last season. Consistency is an issue with Semin, and it's why he was left to sign a one-year contract as a free agent, but he remains an intriguing player because of his high ceiling.
Edited by SuckaPunchd

Nice to see Tlusty get some love on TSN

And Semin:

It is nice to see Tlusty get some notice. I will admit I was one who just couldn't see what we saw in him. Muller comes in and gives him a chance on a scoring line and I was left eating my previous words. Good for him. I look forward to seeing him play this season.

It was fun watching him play in the Czech league on that Plekanec and Jagr line. I'd take Eric Staal as an upgrade in center, and Semin could either be an upgrade or a downgrade. Although, the whole Czech connection and language thing could help as well. But he is showing it wasn't a fluke so far, and he seems to have his legs under him to start an abbreviated season, could be a big year for Tlusty.

EDIT: Anyone have any idea when Fox Sports Carolinas will release their schedule of televised games?

Edited by SuckaPunchd

It was fun watching him play in the Czech league on that Plekanec and Jagr line. I'd take Eric Staal as an upgrade in center, and Semin could either be an upgrade or a downgrade. Although, the whole Czech connection and language thing could help as well. But he is showing it wasn't a fluke so far, and he seems to have his legs under him to start an abbreviated season, could be a big year for Tlusty.

EDIT: Anyone have any idea when Fox Sports Carolinas will release their schedule of televised games?

I agree. He looked good with Staal last year and if Semin and Tlusty mesh it could be a really fun line to watch. I also agree the book is still out on Semin but I have high hopes. I think he has something he wants to prove and I'm all for him proving how good he is.

I read the Fox Sports -CR Canes TV schedule could be out later this week.

All the special offers were given to those STH's who chose to keep their money on account.

No true........they were calling people back and offering 5% discount on next years tickets if you were a STH who cancelled. It was then upped to 10% the first year and 5% the second year just as if you kept your money in. They wouldn't give the "extra" 2 vouchers or food credit though.

TWEETS

Well that's always good. But now I can't watch any of them on the NHLNet and see what unbiased play by play and color analysts are saying about us.

On another note, who else is excited to see our team with good special teams for an entire season? Imagine us with a killer powerplay with Eric, Jordan, Sasha, Skinner, Jokinen, maybe Bowman or Boychuk or Dalpe, and McBain, Faulk, Pits, Sangs, Brent, and Corvo on points. Sheesh! I'm getting myself excited.

And penalty kill with Jordan, Dwyer, LaRose. I wonder who else will get PK time?

It's really nice to have a coach in Kirk that can actually make our special teams something special. I love that he was a PP genius all the way back to Montreal. Our stale powerplay is probably a big reason for a lot of losses the past few seasons.

Edited by SuckaPunchd

http://m.theglobeandmail.com/sports/hockey/nhl-will-know-soon-enough-how-much-damage-the-lockout-caused/article7353145/?service=mob In an article looking at how the NHL will know soon enough how much damage the lockout caused,The Globe and Mail believes that the consensus among NHL and team officials is that no CBA,even the NFL’s,can correct everything that troubles a sport. Given the NHL’s limited national television contracts,there isn’t enough money to wash clean a market where fan interest is soft and sponsorship revenue low. The onus then is being in the best possible markets and,in that regard,the NHL may one day have to face facts: if the new CBA proves as troublesome as the last,if teams such as Florida and Carolina can’t sell enough tickets,then it’s either time for contraction or franchise relocation.

“The NHL needs to be a little more creative and forward thinking,” noted U.S. sports economist Andrew Zimbalist said. “There’s only one sport that has succeeded in Europe,Canada and the U.S. and that’s hockey. Football and basketball haven’t been able to do it. Create a cross-Atlantic league. Have one in North America,one in Europe; maybe have a little inter-league play and then a playoff. If Gary Bettman stopped trying to keep a team in Phoenixand looked to Munich and Moscow,the NHL could be in a better situation.”

It's time for the Caniac nation to prove to all the naysayers that this market is worthy of an NHL franchise and support our team.

And penalty kill with Jordan, Dwyer, LaRose. I wonder who else will get PK time?

Semin really wants to be on the kill...he has always said it improves his 5 on 5 play

Brent/Dwyer or LaRose

J. Staal/Semin...talk about an aggressive kill line with shortie potential!!!

Edited by Law-Dawg

http://m.theglobeandmail.com/sports/hockey/nhl-will-know-soon-enough-how-much-damage-the-lockout-caused/article7353145/?service=mob The onus then is being in the best possible markets and,in that regard,the NHL may one day have to face facts: if the new CBA proves as troublesome as the last,if teams such as Florida and Carolina can’t sell enough tickets,then it’s either time for contraction or franchise relocation.

The Canadian press just does not get it...we are not Phoenix or Florida or Atlanta...especially with the local ownership we have and strong fan base, this team is going nowhere.

The Canadian press just does not get it...we are not Phoenix or Florida or Atlanta...especially with the local ownership we have and strong fan base, this team is going nowhere.

I personally feel the same. Unfortunately the majority of hockey news etc. is Canadian based or northern US. It's just annoying hearing the Hurricanes clumped in with all the other southern markets.

The onus then is being in the best possible markets and,in that regard,the NHL may one day have to face facts: if the new CBA proves as troublesome as the last,if teams such as Florida and Carolina can’t sell enough tickets,then it’s either time for contraction or franchise relocation.

“The NHL needs to be a little more creative and forward thinking,”

sleep.gif

Oh and

blah2.gif

AND FINALLY!!!

hurl.gif

I think my points are all well sourced and spot on.

Those clowns just needed to fill some paper up. Now is the obligatory post lockout "how it affects the league" pieces, oh and let's say something outrageous to get attention and sell some papers. The fact is that the CBA exactly does mean no wacky ideas like a European league. Heck the players wouldn't even allow minor realignment of conferences before.

The CBA saves the Hurricanes. Period. Write it down and stop worrying what those elitist Canucks think. Not so much because of the structure of the deal, though it helps, but because there is hockey. A season ending lockout would have been a major blow especially here. But now there is hockey and in some ways more interest in it than usual. (I've had more people who usually care less asking me about the Canes than ever).

The league was building before this nonsense and now that they have a long term deal in place it will continue. Markets like Carolina will continue to build. Sure, some actual bottom feeders that are and remain there will move, as happens in all leagues. But Carolina's future looks good to me.

Now if the team ends up underperforming.....but I don't see that happening.

Typical lazy Canadian press. So tiring.

The same press then obsesses over their players to the point of distraction. I really think they hold some guys back. I'm all for the press continuing to bug the daylights out of Evander Kane. Keep it up, boys.

We'll be able to put more competitive teams on the ice with the extra rev. sharing and more realistic salary cap. I'm not worried about the next 5 years.

Also not worried about our attendance this year if this team makes as much buzz as we anticipate it'll be hard for people to commit to staying away.

Then theres fans of the other teams who will come and watch even if we don't. ....Sadly....

I will agree here. A lot of non hockey fans come up to me and comment when I am at the grocery store and wearing a Canes shirt. Between who they acquired(which people are aware of) and the lockout ending. All of a sudden there is a heightened interest even from non-hockey fans in this area.

The league was building before this nonsense and now that they have a long term deal in place it will continue. Markets like Carolina will continue to build. Sure, some actual bottom feeders that are and remain there will move, as happens in all leagues. But Carolina's future looks good to me.

Now if the team ends up underperforming.....but I don't see that happening.

Agreed. With the new local investors coming on board it infused money and JR put the money to work. I'll be there, hope the team can put the numbers in the win column.