The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Law-Dawg

2013 In Season News, Practice Updates & In-between Game Talk

One thing I do want to point out is that the shortned season isn't as short as you might think - basically every 2 games is like 3. So instead of going pointless in 2, we went pointless in 3. That really isn't that big of a deal.

Saying that, you got to get some points in these two against Buffalo or we could then maybe hit the panic button.

But after 2 (basically 3)? That's a little too early, even in this short season.

Yikes people, I never understand the freak out people when we lose a game or two. Cmon, give the boys a couple weeks, yes its a shortened season but if they can stay around .500 the first 24 games and have a nice winning record the 2nd half than all will be good. If we win 2 or 3 in a row the same freak out people gonna be on here talking about how great a team we have. I think we'll be ok, we aren't gonna win all 48.

The toughest games are right now with all the pressure on how great of a new team we're supposed to have. the guys know expectations are extremely high and they don't even know eachother yet. give them a couple weeks to let the hype settle and get to know eachother on the ice. Nobody on the canes is relaxed yet inclduing Ward who is the most tense, This will pass and we'll see their real capabilites in a week or two. and yes we can afford to have a bad week or two, the season isn't that short and a winning streak quickly turns everything around....remember? And yes we have the talent and coach to turn this around and have several winning streaks once everyone relaxes and has fun and does what they do best instead of worrying about all the hype for the last 6 months.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The upcoming Sabres are looking strong. It would be great character wins for us and could really right our ship. However, if they continue their hot streak and sweep us, as we head into the difficult early Feb road trip, it could be make it or break time early in this shorten season. They don't really have 2 or 3 weeks to work it out. Pressure, pressure, pressure.......

Edited by Bill_B

i still believe we are seeing the preseason unfold before our very eyes, and it will take a week or more to get "game ready". on top of that, how can you expect people to gel that quickly. it is unrealistic to say the least. we have a good team, we have a good coach. just a little patience, and i think we will be pleasantly surprised.

Speaking for the crowds of former NHL Coaches and players of this forum. (cough cough) laffs, I dont think we are freaking out.. We just all passionately want to see this team win. Those who have a Cam Ward Jersey are not ready to toss em out, those who dont, are willing to trade Cam, Corvo, all the Checkers and half of Raleigh to stop some early pucks this season..Bottom line we all had such HIGH hopes for a better out of the gate showing...

What if it wasnt Mo's fault????

It looks like were going with new lines again acoording to Chip Via twitter

Semin Staal Tlusty

Skinner Staal Dalpe

Larose Jokinen Bowman

Dwyer Brent Westgarth

Defensive pairings had Mcbain with Pitkanen some and then Sanguetti back with Pitkanen. All the others the same. So who knows!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lines look pretty good. Just wish Jussi was in Dalpe's place but we'd be missing Center then. Glad to see Jiri with Eric after last year's play. Guess because the Sabres have been playing so physical, Muller must think he needs Westgarth in the line-up.

Really wish JR could have gotten 1 or 2 physical but skilled guys, like Clowe , Ott, and/or Arnott, instead of enforcer/goon (for lack of a better terms), even though Westgarth is supposed to be a nice, character guy.

As for defense, I think Lewis and Muller could start with Faulk and draw the rest out of a hat!!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Speaking for the crowds of former NHL Coaches and players of this forum. (cough cough) laffs, I dont think we are freaking out.. We just all passionately want to see this team win. Those who have a Cam Ward Jersey are not ready to toss em out, those who dont, are willing to trade Cam, Corvo, all the Checkers and half of Raleigh to stop some early pucks this season..Bottom line we all had such HIGH hopes for a better out of the gate showing...

What if it wasnt Mo's fault????

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hah!! Scarey thought that would really go against us experts!

Edited by Bill_B

OK, I've been to the game. I've watched most of it again on TV.

At the game, I thought Semin is a man amoung boys and Skinner is amazing and the Staals looked ok but Tampa was playing at a higher level. Faster, stronger.

On TV I tempered that a bit. The difference was less obvious. I really watched the whipping boys: Joni and Corvo. Corvo made a couple of bad passes and Joni wasn't perfect, but didn't see the god awfulness.

On D? Gleason Faulk and Harrison play defense. Faulk is amazing.

Guys, at least 3-4 goals this year have involved Sangs standing out of position. Yes, he's green, and I know the organization loves his play this year, but if someone is going to let McBain in......

Semin makes plays left and right. E. Staal is making plays. These guys WILL click. Watch and see it. Moving Tlusty up there is the obvious move a couple of us have been asking for. I have really liked what I've seen from Bowman, but not first line.

Skinner's goal was really amazing.

J Staal is better than you think. He is going to get it going also,.

Cam Ward is elite. Maybe not top 5, but top 10. He is having a slow start, and I'd alternate w/ Ellis for a while, but I don't have time to try to defend him right now. Maybe later.

I came away from the game and listened to the aftermath and was really bummed.

I rewatched the game on TV and bluedevil I'll take your bet. This team IS going to turn it around and they ARE going to make the playoffs. They are slow to respond to no training camp no preseaon. But they are going to start ripping off some wins. The talent and fire power is there. I will concede the loss of my boy Ruutu is big and a physical winger would be nice, but we are still going to get it together, this is a good team. Hard to see it, but it is there. It IS there.

I just returned from practice. The lines as posted above aren't completely right. (Left-side, right side and centers listed in appropriate order.) The actual lines were:

Tlusty - E. Staal - Semin

Skinner - J. Staal - Dalpe

Bowman - Jokinen - Larose

The fourth line had Brent at center and was a mix of Dwyer, Westgarth, Boychuk, and Welsh on the wings

Gleason - Faulk

Pitkanen - Sangs

Harrison - Corvo

McBain filled in with Pitkanen and Harrison on the right side.

Muller worked the guys hard down low and around the net. Lot's of emphasis on clearing pucks and burying rebounds.

Re: McBain. I've been to 2 practices and a pregame skate and I can tell you from what I'm seeing, McBain hasn't looked like all that and a popsicle. He's behind the play a lot and seems to have a falling down problem. Personally, he looks to be struggling some, but I'm no coach.

OK, I've been to the game. I've watched most of it again on TV.

At the game, I thought Semin is a man amoung boys and Skinner is amazing and the Staals looked ok but Tampa was playing at a higher level. Faster, stronger.

On TV I tempered that a bit. The difference was less obvious. I really watched the whipping boys: Joni and Corvo. Corvo made a couple of bad passes and Joni wasn't perfect, but didn't see the god awfulness.

On D? Gleason Faulk and Harrison play defense. Faulk is amazing.

Guys, at least 3-4 goals this year have involved Sangs standing out of position. Yes, he's green, and I know the organization loves his play this year, but if someone is going to let McBain in......

Semin makes plays left and right. E. Staal is making plays. These guys WILL click. Watch and see it. Moving Tlusty up there is the obvious move a couple of us have been asking for. I have really liked what I've seen from Bowman, but not first line.

Skinner's goal was really amazing.

J Staal is better than you think. He is going to get it going also,.

Cam Ward is elite. Maybe not top 5, but top 10. He is having a slow start, and I'd alternate w/ Ellis for a while, but I don't have time to try to defend him right now. Maybe later.

I came away from the game and listened to the aftermath and was really bummed.

I rewatched the game on TV and bluedevil I'll take your bet. This team IS going to turn it around and they ARE going to make the playoffs. They are slow to respond to no training camp no preseaon. But they are going to start ripping off some wins. The talent and fire power is there. I will concede the loss of my boy Ruutu is big and a physical winger would be nice, but we are still going to get it together, this is a good team. Hard to see it, but it is there. It IS there.

I am trying some reverse tactics. I actually want all of you to come back 4 weeks from now and laugh in my face and call me out. I really want it to happen. I want to be wrong. I've talked to multiple fans of other teams in the southeast and all of them are nervous about the Canes.

Not a single one has said we suck. I think they all know that it is coming. Last night Semin and Staal were just a tad off but still looked great. That first PP unit is going to be really sick if it is firing on all cylinders.

Edited by bluedevil58

Kinda makes you wonder how bad McBain must be playing/practicing if he is a healthy scratch with our wondeful defense that we have. Gleason and Faulk should be the only guys that should feel safe!

McBain has started each season off horribly. The guy takes a couple of months to get to being "average" at best. It speaks volumes that he was not played in the first two games, though I suspect he'll replace Sangs on Thursday night.

It looks like were going with new lines again acoording to Chip Via twitter

Semin Staal Tlusty

Skinner Staal Dalpe

Larose Jokinen Bowman

Dwyer Brent Westgarth

Defensive pairings had Mcbain with Pitkanen some and then Sanguetti back with Pitkanen. All the others the same. So who knows!

That's what I've wanted to see...Glad Mueller is on board. The second line is going to need some time to gel but that is a big, strong, hard skating center with 2 very highly skilled and very fast wingers...

Tlusty - E. Staal - Semin

After the yesterday's game, I thought we would go with E. Staal, Semin & Skinner on the 1st line just like we did at the end of the game. Weren't they good together at even strength and on the powerplay?

Edited by aRyazanCaniac

I thought coastal's observation on McBain struggling in practice were revealing. It's possible McBain is nursing an injury or didn't report anywhere close to game shape. Both would be concerning but explain why he has been odd man out. I like McBain more than most here but by no means think he is the answer to our perceived D problem. Sangs might not be ready for prime time but I would have to give him a few more games before I made that conclusion. A sustained offense would take some of the pressure off the defense.

The problem for me is that expectations for this team were so high and the poor showing of the first 2 games magnify the disappointment. We still have time to figure it out and if

we do it could still be a good team and season.The next two games are really important.

x

Funny how after two horrible showings, I come back to this thread after sharing my thoughts and seeing so much negativity and get that ridiculous excitement again for this team.

I expect the new top line to tear it up. Tlusty compliments Staal probably best out of anyone not new on the roster. If things actually go right for us for once, Semin should start to feed off that chemistry and develop his own with Staal.

I'm really excited to see Semin on the right wing of Staal. Semin has a sick wrister, and can bury them just under the top right corner post. With his left shot on the right side, he'll be able to have a quicker release to that spot he's been known to score in. Once he pots a couple, I expect he'll start showing off his possession skills and dangle around.

I'm waiting for Jordan to pick it up. Semin's impressed me more so far, and he's the guy who might not be returning next season.

I just don't understand why we signed Corvo at all, much less how he was suppose to fill Allen's shoes. We already have offensive d-men in Faulk, Pitkanen and McBain, we needed someone with size and grit. Gleason Faulk works because both are incredibly responsible defensively and then go along and try to jump into plays at the other end of the ice, but Pits - Sangs isn't because Sangs isn't responsible defensively, he either tries to be and just doesn't have the size or strength or he has a mental lapse that has lead to two, arguably three goals already. And then you have Harrison and Corvo, which is just a disastrous pairing since for some reason Corvo can't keep the puck on his stick.

If I could have my way I'd package Corvo, Boychuk and maybe another piece to get someone like Douglas Murray, who JR should have gone for during the offseason in the first place.

Oh right, JR also gave Corvo a NMC. Sigh.

Edited by Blinding

I'm not sure this thought had been posted by others, but I was thinking about the defensive issues and trying to remember how many clean breakaway opportunities the Canes have given up? How many decent two on one breaks have been given up? Any? If so, not many that I recall. If true, then the Canes entire weakness on D is in its defensive zone--and fixing D zone coverage issues is a lot easier than fixing whole ice breakdown issues. Remember how many clean breakaways we were giving up at the start of last season, it was at least 3 or 4 per game!

Of course, "easy" fixes still need to be fixed.....

I just don't understand why we signed Corvo at all, much less how he was suppose to fill Allen's shoes.

You know I think that is a really good point.

Allen>>Corvo. Especially on a team w/ a lot of offensive dmen. Never should have let Allen get away. Maybe not top top tier, but just about what we need right now.

On McBain, I have to agree he must be looking bad in practice, because there are a couple of slots he could at least get a look in. The thing is, supposedly teams are always looking for offensive dmen. We need a defensive dman. In some ways McBain should fetch something, but not if he's the healthy scratch. Catch 22.

On Ward. XM channel talking about how hard it is for goalies to get their game speed going, especially on screens. Lots of good goalies struggling. Alternate him w/ Ellis until Cam shows he's back to form. He is the man, but Ellis has been playing.

Interestingly a couple experts asked to rank who should be most afraid of the 0-2 teams. Both said the Canes were the least concerning. That Muller would get it straightened out.

I tell you the pieces are there. At some point this team is going to go on a run. Not sure when that will be though.

Edited by remkin

I guess that after the moves that were made in the off season, the lockout, being told certain players were Elite, World Class, Premier, one of the best in the league, I REALLY EXPECTED MORE. I know it is only two games, but when we really have to grind to make 9th place in a 82 game season being 14th in a 48 game season is not what you think as a great situation. We can't wait till this mid season.

I guess that after the moves that were made in the off season, the lockout, being told certain players were Elite, World Class, Premier, one of the best in the league, I REALLY EXPECTED MORE. I know it is only two games, but when we really have to grind to make 9th place in a 82 game season being 14th in a 48 game season is not what you think as a great situation. We can't wait till this mid season.

I agree completely, but it's only been 2 games. Even in a 48 game season it isn't that bad. If we are unable to find consistent success on ice in the next 5 games, then you start to worry.

Edited by SuckaPunchd

I really like the lines from practice today. I wasn't sure about Tlusty last year until he shined with Staal towards the end. He and Staal worked extremely well together and I'm pumped to see that again+Semin.

Of course this will sound dumb if even Tlusty can't fix the issue but I feel like we're reinventing the wheel on the first line. He should have been there 2 games ago and had the past 2 games to develop chemistry with Semin. Staal and Tlusty would have already known how each other works. Instead it's been a 3 way cluster on the top line for 2 games.

On the flip side, I don't think Bowman did bad enough to go straight to the 3rd. Meh...

Bob McKenzie just said he believes P.K. Subban will be traded...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now that's interesting.......

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now that's interesting.......

He's exactly the kind of D man we need. He can skate with and create offense with Pitkanen, but he isn't so much of a defensive reliability. Plus, considering Muller's connection with Montreal...