The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Law-Dawg

2013 In Season News, Practice Updates & In-between Game Talk

My question is, what does the league do to assure fans and more importantly, corporate sponsors that there will be some labor stability from this point on?

I think they made the 1st step by getting at least 8 years before the next "crisis". Perhaps the result then will be different. However- no way to predict the future. All you can do is deal with the present. And so far the direction is positive. Enough said about who did what and why. I still firmly understand that forgetting this is a business will give false expectations about outcomes. (me included). All I can do is see the parallels where owners and unions come together. They spend so much time creating false crisises and worrying about who will win that we all lose in the end.

I hope to see ya soon SD.

I'm sorry I posted attendance stats because it surprised me attendance hasn't suffered after you know what. I thought a good many die hard fans could bail.

How it got from that to somehow posters being individually offended as being a bad fan is anybody's guess.

Personally, I hope the Canes win back the trust of all the fans we need at PNC.

I'm sorry I posted attendance stats because it surprised me attendance hasn't suffered after you know what.

Don't be sorry for that. I was a little surprised to see the full houses, but as I said, I don't know if the other teams offered the discounts and promotions in order to fill those barns. We'll know more once the new ice smell wears off.

Personally, I should have bailed. But this is the first time I've ever been able to (barely) afford season tickets and I held on. I went to my first Canes game in '02 and have gone to progressively more and more games each year, sometimes in spite of their performance or record. I love the game. I was born and raised in Eastern NC and am as die-hard fan as you'll find. When asked by friends, co-workers, and even the wife why they couldn't get their act together I told them that the NHL is more than just hockey: it IS a business. It is their living. They may drive fancier cars than I do and live in nicer homes, but they do their jobs and should be compensated fairly for it. The owners have bought the teams for more than just to tell their friends they own an NHL franchise. Even when newbies say, "It costs $10 to park?" I explain to them how efficient our parking attendants are and to wait and see how quickly we are able to exit after the game. (Not to add that it often costs much more at other venues.) Why did I ramble on about this? Let's say there's a little diner in town that serves absolutely your favorite burgers and shakes in town. It costs a little more in gas, time, and price-wise than the local Golden Arches which is closer, but you continue to frequent the one you really like because in your mind it is worth it. And I don't want them to close down. That is why I keep going to games. That's why I (almost) gladly pay $10 to park, as well as the $40 in gas it takes me for each game. Canes hockey is big-time professional sports in our own back yard. They put on a good show, and even without the early-season welcome-back perks I believe a decent entertainment value. They have professional people to market their wares. Just like I will recommend my favorite burger joint to friends, I will continue my tradition of taking more new people to games. If the Canes do their job, and we the fans do our job, the health of the franchise will flourish for many years to come. I have an uncanny feeling that the team and coaching staff are starting to click and JR has the funds with new investors to get the talent needed. We won't win every game but definitely enough to keep growing the fanbase and stability.

Ok. 'Nuff said. Time to go watch the end of the Blues and Wild and get stuff ready to head out after work tomorrow to watch our boys beat the Bruins.

Sorry for the extra kilobyte usage. I'll keep future posts shorter.

I am one of the "disgruntled" that pulled out as a STH. Does that make me a bad fan? I don't think so. I will go to some games this year and will watch the rest on TV.

My question is, what does the league do to assure fans and more importantly, corporate sponsors that there will be some labor stability from this point on?

You are not a bad fan, SD---everyone dealt with the lockout in their own way. But think of

coming back next year. You know you are a true Caniac at heart, and your tailgating

buddies will surely miss you. It seems that longer time between new contracts will

help with the stability for fans, won't it?

You are not a bad fan, SD---everyone dealt with the lockout in their own way. But think of

coming back next year. You know you are a true Caniac at heart, and your tailgating

buddies will surely miss you. It seems that longer time between new contracts will

help with the stability for fans, won't it?

I don't think he's a bad fan either. Far from it. But in the same breath, I don't think you can call him a true Caniac. True Caniacs don't cancel season tickets because of a lockout.

I had my eyes opened recently by attending an AHL game in a large city, where the experience was advertised as "affordable." Parking was $13, no tailgating is allowed, and a crummy cold hot dog was $5. I don't even know what the beer was. The barn is depressing and old, with really bad restrooms and not the best sightlines in the upper sections.

Traffic upon leaving is... unbelievable.

Woke me up. We have it good in Raleigh. Hate to admit it.

Edited by wxray1

I don't think he's a bad fan either. Far from it. But in the same breath, I don't think you can call him a true Caniac. True Caniacs don't cancel season tickets because of a lockout.

All I can say is that you don't know me at all if you think that.

Back to business though. It will be interesting to see how the team responds tonight after righting the ship against our favorite ship righter in Buffalo and getting a couple of days off. I think we are through the pre-season games now and ready for the season to start with the Canes at .500.

Edited by super_dave_1

I think you left out IMHO. In my humble opinion none of us gets to define what a true fan (Caniac) is. True caniacs dont call each other out in open forms. (IMHO)

I know SD personally and he is about a true a Caniac as you can get.(by any definition)

Judge not lest ye be judged comes to mind

I think you left out IMHO. In my humble opinion none of us gets to define what a true fan (Caniac) is. True caniacs dont call each other out in open forms. (IMHO)

I know SD personally and he is about a true a Caniac as you can get.(by any definition)

Judge not lest ye be judged comes to mind

Fair enough, IMHO.

You cannot judge who is a true fan by the amount tickets purchased.

Super Dave... keep doing what you do. And I think the different pictures are great.

Edited by winger52

From Michael Smith:

Decision on Faulk Coming Monday Justin Faulk left Friday night’s game in Buffalo in the second period with an upper-body injury and did not return. Officially day-to-day, he practiced with the team Sunday, but Muller said a final decision would be made tomorrow on his playing status.

“We’ll see how he responds tomorrow from skating and working it today,” Muller said. “If he feels good from the workout today, he could be in the lineup tomorrow.”

For his part, Faulk said he felt OK but noted that he did sit out one drill during practice.

He made it fine through practice so it'll come down to how he looks and feels today. If there's even a question, I hope they sit him out since the Bruins play such a physical game. Faulk is too important to risk having him out injured too long.

EDIT: He's not present for PP practice this morning :(

Edited by TSA

Our defense is much much shakier without him, but if they hold him out today he gets 6 full days off.

Another point, that has not really been brought up, is this. With the NHL season extending to the end of April and beyond for teams making the playoffs, how many games would guys who played in the AHL end up with?

I guess the point is this. In an dod way this is a very very odd point in the schedule where missing one game can give a guy 6 days off. Faulk has been playing and will be counted on greatly as the season goes on. Might be worth resting him even if he were 100%. Certainly if he is not.

Another point, that has not really been brought up, is this. With the NHL season extending to the end of April and beyond for teams making the playoffs, how many games would guys who played in the AHL end up with?

Some might end up with more than 82 total games played. From the Checkers website games played in the AHL are:

Boychuk - 37

Dalpe - 38

Faulk - 31

Bowman - 37

Sanguinetti - 36

Ellis - 18

Our defense is much much shakier without him, but if they hold him out today he gets 6 full days off.

I guess the point is this. In an dod way this is a very very odd point in the schedule where missing one game can give a guy 6 days off. Faulk has been playing and will be counted on greatly as the season goes on. Might be worth resting him even if he were 100%. Certainly if he is not.

Looks like Rask is sitting out tonight as well...wondering if we are hoping to light up Khudobin who only has 10 NHL games since 2009-2010.

Looks like Rask is sitting out tonight as well...wondering if we are hoping to light up Khudobin who only has 10 NHL games since 2009-2010.

I bet we stop drawing so many back ups once we go on a big winning streak.

I bet we stop drawing so many back ups once we go on a big winning streak.

We will see Anderson on Fri. but the Flyers play the Caps on Fri and us on Sat...wonder if we get Bryzgalov or Leighton for that one.

i hope that we sneak under peoples radar all the way to the playoffs. i really do not get that though, as loaded as we are in offense, not that i am complaining. and i would say leighton.

edited because i forgot something-blame the meds

Edited by dreadedcaniac

We will see Anderson on Fri. but the Flyers play the Caps on Fri and us on Sat...wonder if we get Bryzgalov or Leighton for that one.

I would be stunned if Leighton doesn't get a crack at the Canes.

I'm ok with seeing back ups ;)

Just out of interest, how has Carolina taken the lockout in terms of support for the Hurricanes? Seeing as the canes are the only professionally sports team in NC, are we a very big team in the state? Do you see people with gear on all the time and do people always talk hurricanes or are the Tar heels bigger? Has the support weakened for the team because of the lockout?

Just out of interest, how has Carolina taken the lockout in terms of support for the Hurricanes? Seeing as the canes are the only professionally sports team in NC, are we a very big team in the state? Do you see people with gear on all the time and do people always talk hurricanes or are the Tar heels bigger? Has the support weakened for the team because of the lockout?

Canes are not the only pro sports team. You have the Bobcats and the Panthers (NBA and NFL in NC too). Popularity has grown. Around the triangle it is quite popular but college basketball is still king. Otherwise, the farther from the triangle you go the less people care. But their support is growing. Very popular around the RDU area though.