The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Law-Dawg

2013 In Season News, Practice Updates & In-between Game Talk

I think it's interesting how we're playing alot more like Lavi's system (which is what most of us wanted) and all of a sudden we're having the same discussions we had just before he was fired. The offensive defensemen we're pinching way too often and leaving their partner out to dry.

We could bring in another player but these guy's are doing whatever they want on the ice in the defensive zone at times. Another player may help but I don't think it'll fix it.

If Muller can't sell what he wants done on D to the current set of guys how's he gonna sell it to a new guy?

When you let up a shorthanded goal, from the blue line...diagonally...all the way down to the goal line. That's rather concerning to me that pass ever occurred and even more concerning no one over that length of a pass could pick it off in our own zone.

The doom and gloom on these forums is ridiculous! And the mood swings really.

Pre-season: Canes are going to the cup!!!

After 0-2: Canes won't make the playoffs, trade everyone, sign FAs.

After 2-2: Canes are winning the division, playoffs here we come, our offense is the best, Muller is great!

After 2-3: Muller can't coach special teams, LaRose sucks, we need more defensemen, Cam is the worst, our third line sucks, not making the playoffs.

Can everyone take a deep breath and look at the bigger picture?! I know personally, and probably 99% of the people here, don't know as much about Hockey as JR and Muller. Don't you think they see these things and are working them out? The players too. We have a good GM, a great young coach, more talent on offense than ever, a proven goalie, a great backup, and one of the most talented young defensemen in the league. I feel quite good about where we are at. Even if we don't make the playoffs this year, which I think we most likely will, with Ruutu back and a full pre-season, the team is going to be infinitely more cohesive and BETTER. There has been a lot of change to the Canes in the last year, almost all for the better. Let's grab the popcorn and see what happens, and let them do their jobs!

Way too early to be this worried and heavy handed with changes

I really don't like both of these 2nd pairings. I don't like the idea of two very offensive-minded dman together in Pitkanen and McBain. There simply isn't enough defense there. I also don't like the idea of putting someone like Murray with Pitkanen. Murray is just a shutdown dman. He isn't good with the puck and he's actually pretty slow. We need someone who can be creative with Pitkanen but also play the shutdown dman role when needed. Any two-way dmen available?

If I recall, Pitkanen is a hard defenseman to pair with because of his style of play. He is a horse,

eats a lot of minutes, has a great shot when he uses it-------and can get the puck out of our end

better than any other.( We learned that last year when he was out with injuries.)

All combinations of other guys have been tried. You can't just "pick" someone and pair them

with Pits. For some reason he and McBain play better together---they gel. Don't know why. I

know they are both offensive D----but McBain reads him better than the others and covers him

better than other partners. Last night they carried the team with D minutes when we basically

played with 5 (b/c Corvo only got 7 min.) A stay at home gritty D would be unlikely to be able

to keep up with him. So that is the quandry. You can't just pick a guy from available D's and

assume he will "click" with Joni. IMO

(It is a little like getting the right guy to play with E. Staal--how hard was that?)

Edited by UNCCaniac8

Pre-season: Canes are going to the cup!!!

After 0-2: Canes won't make the playoffs, trade everyone, sign FAs.

After 2-2: Canes are winning the division, playoffs here we come, our offense is the best, Muller is great!

After 2-3: Muller can't coach special teams, LaRose sucks, we need more defensemen, Cam is the worst, our third line sucks, not making the playoffs.

So funny and so true. :D Next game against Ottawa may turn everything upside down again. After all, these changes of attitude result from the change in the team's play.

Edited by aRyazanCaniac

For any of you saying some of us are over-reacting, I say whatever. A blind man could see our defense is weak, and thin. It's been a concern for years now, and the stats easily bear it out.

Just like all those years when we give up way more goals than we score, it looks like that's a concern again, even after only 5 games. JR has made some wonderful moves, but building a defense hasn't been his shining moment.

So suppose we lose 2 guys on the blueline - our depth is an injured Gragnani and M. Jordan. Call me out again when that happens.

So funny and so true. :D Next game against Ottawa may turn everything upside down again. After all, these changes of attitude result from the change in the team's play.

Hah, that's exactly why the "if an image could describe the Canes......." thread was created. If you start from the beginning and scroll through each page you can tell exactly what the mood of the members here was at any given point in time. I think this is the second of these threads too so if I can find the older archived one, it should be a very interesting read.

Hah, that's exactly why the "if an image could describe the Canes......." thread was created. If you start from the beginning and scroll through each page you can tell exactly what the mood of the members here was at any given point in time. I think this is the second of these threads too so if I can find the older archived one, it should be a very interesting read.

The main difference is (at least with me) I already see our teams problems. Now don't get me wrong I'm no hockey genius. But they are the same problems that have always been with this team as of late. I made the prediction that I am 100% sure that we are not making the playoffs unless changes happen and I am sticking with that or until I regain confidence in this team.

It's the same old story. Lose 1 win 2 lose 2 win 1 lose 1 win 3 lose 4 and so on. It seems to always happen. You guys who are saying "Oh just wait until our lines Gel" they should already be gelling and we should already be winning with the level of talent that we have. Tampa Bay has 5 wins in 6 games. Chicago went on a 6 game winning streak. We are 2-3. Things could be worse. But they are not looking good. If this was an 82 game season I would be optimistic and with you guys. With this being a 48 game season and with us having 45 games left. I am worried.

Edited by bluedevil58

The main difference is (at least with me) I already see our teams problems. Now don't get me wrong I'm no hockey genius. But they are the same problems that have always been with this team as of late. I made the prediction that I am 100% sure that we are not making the playoffs unless changes happen and I am sticking with that or until I regain confidence in this team.

It's the same old story. Lose 1 win 2 lose 2 win 1 lose 1 win 3 lose 4 and so on. It seems to always happen. You guys who are saying "Oh just wait until our lines Gel" they should already be gelling and we should already be winning with the level of talent that we have. Tampa Bay has 5 wins in 6 games. Chicago went on a 6 game winning streak. We are 2-3. Things could be worse. But they are not looking good. If this was an 82 game season I would be optimistic and with you guys. With this being a 48 game season and with us having 45 games left. I am worried.

All I said was take a look through the If an image......thread and you can really gauge the mood of the fans here at any given time. :huh:

I think the 12-game mark (one-quarter of the season) will be a good benchmark to see just where this team may (or may not) be in terms of the standings.

I'm certainly not ready to jump off the cliff after 5 games. If we can remain at or above .500 I think we are okay. TB already has a 6-point lead in the Division. That is a lot of points in a shortened season. Good news is we are only 2-points off the cut line with a game in hand.

I still believe defensive depth, as is, could be the Canes achilles heel. I hope not, but that's just my gut feeling. It was my gut feeling on July 1, and it still is.

That doesn't damper my enthusiasm for this team. I still believe, but I'd feel better if we were a little deeper in talent on the blue line.

smile.gifEdit: I wrote this while Coastal was typing! Other than the part about your analysis, this is not aimed at you.

All I'm saying is that it is too early to pull the cord. We are not going to win by beating the stuffing out of our opponent w/ our defense (but neither does the aforementioned Tampa Bay Lighting). We are going to win with a team game, an at least average defense by committee and pushing the puck forward again and again, relentlessly. If we can do that and limit odd man rushes to at least some extent, play a bit better defensive positioning. Get our goalie back to form, and improve special teams just a little, then we can be on the ice with any team in the league.

Before the Boston game many admitted that game would be a measuring stick. That's why I posted as a measure vs one of the top teams in the league. That game showed me a couple of things. One we are not yet a top 5 NHL team. Bummer, but then neither are 83% of the teams. But there are signs we can get close.

We have played 5 games with no preseason. We looked pretty good in all but the first one. OK, vs. Boston they jumped us and completely outclassed us in the first 15 minutes and got a quick lead. But after the Gleason fight the team responded and went toe to toe the rest of the way until we gripped it at the end. And that was without Faulk one of if not our best defenseman. Muller called the team out for the rope a dope at the end and it is clearly NOT going to be his strategy. They will learn. One game.

I get Coastal's critique of the D. JR has a mixed record there "cough" Kaberle, "cough" other Kaberle, cough, Corvo, well I can keep on coughing but why bother? Personally, I'm really not sure why we let Allen walk in favor of Corvo.

But I don't get the panic at the disco. 5 games. 2-3. No production from the third line yet. Ward just getting into shape. We haven't even started seeing scoring from our pretty decent supporting cast. Powerplay not really there yet, still room for a better PK. Room to cut down lead leading minor penalties. Ward will be better.

Yes, we will not have the scariest defense in the league. But there really is a very rational reason to expect improvement.

Who is not thrilled w/ young Skinner breaking out (like someone predicted), or Semin's playmaking artistry. Did anyone else catch Semin's undressing of Chara? E. who normally starts slower than a car w/ a crank on the front is blazing and finding his chemistry w/ Semin. We are a much better team w/ Faulk in there.

Anyway, we all see what we see. That's what I see. Decent w/ a WHOLE lot of upside.

Edited by remkin

Job: Enforcer for the Carolina Hurricanes

Job Description:

Must be able to skate 4 to 5 shifts per game (average less than 3 minutes a game).

Must have 0 penalty minutes after 4 games.

Must enjoy sitting in the best seat in the arena.

Pay: $700,000 per year

I make light of this not to put down Westgarth, but to try and understand WHY they put him in the lineup??? Shouldn't someone else be getting some ice time and give guys like Staal a breather so they don't come out dead in the third period like they did against Boston?

Edited by Canes-Fan-In-Montreal

1/30 Practice update and news

Hurricanes Recall Andreas Nodl from Charlotte

Forward had four points in five games with Checkers

Wednesday, 01.30.2013 / 9:30 AM / News By Ken Preston

RALEIGH, NC – Jim Rutherford, President and General Manager of the National Hockey League’s Carolina Hurricanes, today announced that the team has recalled forward Andreas Nodl from the Charlotte Checkers of the American Hockey League (AHL). Nodl will join the Hurricanes for the team’s practice on Wednesday at PNC Arena.

Nodl, 25, was assigned to Charlotte on Jan. 17, and recorded a goal and three assists (4 points) in five games with Carolina’s top minor-league affiliate. The Vienna, Austria, native split the 2011-12 season between Philadelphia and Carolina, totaling eight points (3g, 5a) and eight penalty minutes in 60 NHL games. He earned seven points (3g, 4a) in 48 games with the Hurricanes after being acquired on waivers from Philadelphia on Nov. 29, 2011. Philadelphia’s second-round selection in the 2006 NHL Entry Draft, Nodl (6’1”, 196 lbs.) has totaled 35 points (15g, 20a) in 175 career NHL games with the Flyers and Hurricanes.

• Top two lines remain unchanged. Third line has Bowman, Dwyer with Jokinen. Brent, LaRose, Nodl, Westgarth & Boychuk wearing blue.
  • New looks on the PP. First: E. Staal, Semin, Tlusty, Jokinen and Pitkanen. Second: J. Staal, Skinner, LaRose, McBain and Sanguinetti.
  • Muller putting the emphasis on taking shots on the PP. Shots first, plays second, he said.

1/30 Practice update and news

Hurricanes Recall Andreas Nodl from Charlotte

Forward had four points in five games with Checkers

Wednesday, 01.30.2013 / 9:30 AM / News By Ken Preston

RALEIGH, NC – Jim Rutherford, President and General Manager of the National Hockey League’s Carolina Hurricanes, today announced that the team has recalled forward Andreas Nodl from the Charlotte Checkers of the American Hockey League (AHL). Nodl will join the Hurricanes for the team’s practice on Wednesday at PNC Arena.

Nodl, 25, was assigned to Charlotte on Jan. 17, and recorded a goal and three assists (4 points) in five games with Carolina’s top minor-league affiliate. The Vienna, Austria, native split the 2011-12 season between Philadelphia and Carolina, totaling eight points (3g, 5a) and eight penalty minutes in 60 NHL games. He earned seven points (3g, 4a) in 48 games with the Hurricanes after being acquired on waivers from Philadelphia on Nov. 29, 2011. Philadelphia’s second-round selection in the 2006 NHL Entry Draft, Nodl (6’1”, 196 lbs.) has totaled 35 points (15g, 20a) in 175 career NHL games with the Flyers and Hurricanes.

• Top two lines remain unchanged. Third line has Bowman, Dwyer with Jokinen. Brent, LaRose, Nodl, Westgarth & Boychuk wearing blue.
  • New looks on the PP. First: E. Staal, Semin, Tlusty, Jokinen and Pitkanen. Second: J. Staal, Skinner, LaRose, McBain and Sanguinetti.
  • Muller putting the emphasis on taking shots on the PP. Shots first, plays second, he said.

Poor Boychuk.

Poor Boychuk.

He looked terrible out there. I think West needs to take a seat. He is not doing what he is supposed to be there for. I mean the guy doesn't even check people! We gave up Stewart for him too! Come on!

Third line has Bowman, Dwyer with Jokinen.

I like that line. Always thought that Dwyer & Jokinen play well together.

New looks on the PP. First: E. Staal, Semin, Tlusty, Jokinen and Pitkanen. Second: J. Staal, Skinner, LaRose, McBain and Sanguinetti.

What about Faulk? He'll replace Sanguinetti?

Edited by aRyazanCaniac

smile.gifEdit: I wrote this while Coastal was typing! Other than the part about your analysis, this is not aimed at you.

All I'm saying is that it is too early to pull the cord. We are not going to win by beating the stuffing out of our opponent w/ our defense (but neither does the aforementioned Tampa Bay Lighting). We are going to win with a team game, an at least average defense by committee and pushing the puck forward again and again, relentlessly. If we can do that and limit odd man rushes to at least some extent, play a bit better defensive positioning. Get our goalie back to form, and improve special teams just a little, then we can be on the ice with any team in the league.

Before the Boston game many admitted that game would be a measuring stick. That's why I posted as a measure vs one of the top teams in the league. That game showed me a couple of things. One we are not yet a top 5 NHL team. Bummer, but then neither are 83% of the teams. But there are signs we can get close.

We have played 5 games with no preseason. We looked pretty good in all but the first one. OK, vs. Boston they jumped us and completely outclassed us in the first 15 minutes and got a quick lead. But after the Gleason fight the team responded and went toe to toe the rest of the way until we gripped it at the end. And that was without Faulk one of if not our best defenseman. Muller called the team out for the rope a dope at the end and it is clearly NOT going to be his strategy. They will learn. One game.

I get Coastal's critique of the D. JR has a mixed record there "cough" Kaberle, "cough" other Kaberle, cough, Corvo, well I can keep on coughing but why bother? Personally, I'm really not sure why we let Allen walk in favor of Corvo.

But I don't get the panic at the disco. 5 games. 2-3. No production from the third line yet. Ward just getting into shape. We haven't even started seeing scoring from our pretty decent supporting cast. Powerplay not really there yet, still room for a better PK. Room to cut down lead leading minor penalties. Ward will be better.

Yes, we will not have the scariest defense in the league. But there really is a very rational reason to expect improvement.

Who is not thrilled w/ young Skinner breaking out (like someone predicted), or Semin's playmaking artistry. Did anyone else catch Semin's undressing of Chara? E. who normally starts slower than a car w/ a crank on the front is blazing and finding his chemistry w/ Semin. We are a much better team w/ Faulk in there.

Anyway, we all see what we see. That's what I see. Decent w/ a WHOLE lot of upside.

I agree, for the most part. I'm just saying if we have a weakness, it's on D. What else is new. All the other moving parts have huge upsides, or at least improvement with some tweaking.

And like I said earlier, the 12-game mark should tell us a lot more.

I like that line. Always thought that Dwyer & Jokinen play well together.

What about Faulk? He'll replace Sanguinetti?

Not sure.

• Muller said no head issues to worry about with Faulk. Injury remains upper-body.
  • Chad LaRose said he was feeling better today. Said he wasn't sure what caused the allergic reaction. Throat was incredibly swollen.

any word about who will be in net Friday ?

They won't release that till we get much closer. In most cases it wont be until after the gameday morning skate.

I feel like the Cane's schedule has allowed them adequate time to practice and address the glaring issues from these early games. A lot of teams haven't had the down time that we have, hopefully that works to our advantage in the long run. The guys have a long road trip ahead of them starting on Saturday. At the conclusion of this trip, we will be at the 12 game mark too. So this is really where the team will have to come together fast, bond and get most of the points from those 6 games.

I do not like waiving Boychuk. It's not much (at all) but Boychuk still has value. I fully expect a team pick him up. We could have received SOMETHING for him.

On Minnesota's board they are talking about moving Cullen. There isn't enough room for him with all the young guys coming up. They mentioned Carolina being a good spot for him. They said he could probabaly be had for a mid-round pick or mid-level prospect. I would like to have him back, but Jokinen's faceoff numbers are excellent..