The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Law-Dawg

2013 In Season News, Practice Updates & In-between Game Talk

Hockey, hockey, hockey, hockey, hockey, hockey, hockey, hockey, hockey is back!!!!!! That is all for now. Just so freaking happy there's a season, my life has meaning and purpose again. Gonna miss Ruuuuuuu though.

I wonder if we are going to take a look at Marc-Andre Gragnani in our brief training camp. I thought it was a curious signing but he does have NHL experience.

I cannot wait to see our first power play unit. I'm thinking E Staal, J Staal, Semin, Skinner, Pitkanen. If you want two D's on it than replace a foward with Corvo. Gonna be nice.

I wonder if it will be some lopsided play to start. You've got the minor leaguers staying sharp and riding a high down in charlotte, you got some players staying sharp over seas, than you got our big boys like Staals, Skinners, that have not had any competitive play in 9 months. Might be suprised who's scoring the goals off the bat and who's struggling. we'll see.

The lack of a clear third line center is a bit troublesome to me. I'm sure that Muller et all have a plan, but I'll be darned if I know what it is.

Looking at the prospects, the only one that seems NHL ready is Dalpe. But the golden boy of yesteryear was not even a late call up last year, and got an indirect verbal snub from the coach back then. Now, clearly one of the top 3 forwards down in Charlotte he's been moved to the wing despite a gaping organizational need at third line center. Welsh and Nash have looked VERY average in the Checker's games I've seen (admittedly only 3, but their numbers are not great either).

It is not the end of the world if Muller and Coastal don't agree with me, but for goodness sake, Jussi is not really a center and the guy was our number 2 scorer last year (an off year for him), AND, and, and he has put up over 30 assists each of the past 3 years. Now Ruutu is gone off the top 6. Other than Eric Staal he's the only playmaker on the team. How on Earth do we put him on the third line? With a Staal and either a Skinner or Semin, Jussi could easily put up 45 assists.

My new campaign for third line center: ABJ. Anybody but Jussi.

Ignoring Dalpe's move out of center, I'd still like to see Dalpe, Bowman, LaRose.

On another note: Tlusty is going to break out in a top 6 role this year.

On another note, if Skinner and Semin are on different lines, there will be an elite shifty highlight player on the ice most of the time.

On another note. Does Murphy even get a short term tryout?

I'm thinking along the same line as you rem. I like Jussi on wing. My concern is that I really have never seen a lot of chemistry between Skinner and Jussi. I'm also concerned that with the Ruutu injury we have lost a little toughness on the top 2 lines. I was really looking forward to see J. Staal and Ruu bringing it on the same line. Still I like the idea of Jussi on wing with J.Staal and Skinner and knowing Jussi is versatile enough to play center on third line if needed.

Geez, it's been so long to talk hockey. Before the implosion wasn't there some talk about edgy, toughness on the 3rd or 4th line, ie: Skinner body-guard? Was Tim Wallace a candidate for that role? Also, big Jason Arnott is still a UFA possibility for a tough, secondary-scoring 3rd line center. I agree with almost everybody else that Jussi should be a top-6 winger and not the 3rd line center.

As for Checkers, other than the possibility of using Wallace for toughness, I believe we'll see one rotating winger throughout this abbreviated season: Bowman/Dalpe/Boychuk/Samson; and maybe one rotating center if there's no trade/UFA signing: Welsh/Nash(/Dalpe?) Not sure about Murphy after his WJC performance and lack of impressing his WJC coaches...maybe like Scott Walker, he should be moved from defense to wing.

I just hope key players who have not been playing elsewhere have kept the legs and the lungs in shape

during this lockout. My guess is Corvo, McBain and Faulk will be ready-----wonder about Gleason, Pits,

Harrison ? My guess is that the Staals, Semin, the Juice and Tlusty will be ready-------(I say this because

Corvo and the Staals seem to have their own internal workout programs that are pretty rigorous even

though they have not been playing.)

Is one week long enough for the team to gel? Guess it doesn't matter b/c all teams are in the same boat.

GO CANES !!

Edited by UNCCaniac8

I see Bowman or Dalpe making the transition this year and doign well. As usual, I'm not sold on Boychuck he just looked lazy out there....

I went to the Checkers/Admirals games on Sunday. Boychuk definitely didn't look lazy. Made a key defensive play in the slot in the 2nd period. Seemed like he was making stuff happen. A lot of the time he looked like the best player on the ice. Was way more impressed with his game than Dalpe but it was only one game.

perhaps I was following the wrong guy then. I just recall who i thought to be Boychuck look really weak on the puck. Faulk was by far the most dominating guy out there. Was it just me or was Norfolk HUGE????

I'm not sure if you guys got to listen to JR's interview with Maniscalco, but JR said he would be surprised if Sanguinetti didn't stick with the big club this year.

Gleason Corvo

Pitkanen Faulk

Harrison McBain - Murphy - Sanguinetti

Lots of dmen there..

I'm not sure if you guys got to listen to JR's interview with Maniscalco, but JR said he would be surprised if Sanguinetti didn't stick with the big club this year.

Gleason Corvo

Pitkanen Faulk

Harrison McBain - Murphy - Sanguinetti

Lots of dmen there..

I doubt we'll see Murphy with the big club this year outside of training camp, though if Sanguinetti does stick I could see him filling his spot on the Checkers.

EA Sports NHL 13 Simulation - Week 14

The other thread got closed, so I'm going to post here. And I know, I know. The real thing is back, but I figured I might as well finish what I started and post up until the real puck drops next week.

Fake Canes go 2-2-0 to post a 24-16-5 record. That's good enough to remain 4th in the East and 7 points back of conference leading Caps.

Canes of Note:

Skinner: T-4th in points (46), 3rd in goals (24)

E.Staal: T-5th in goals (19)

Ward: 23-15-4 record, T-8th in wins (23), T-6th in shutouts (4), 2.59 GAA

Jan. 8th - CAR vs. NJ

CAR 1

NJ 2

Goals: E.Staal (18)

Jan. 10 - CAR vs. NYR

CAR 0

NYR 6

Jan. 11 - CAR vs. CBJ

CAR 4

CBJ 3 OT

Goals: J.Staal (13), Skinner (24), Gragnani (2), E.Staal (19)

Notes: E.Staal OT winner

Jan. 13 - TB vs. CAR

TB 2

CAR 4

Goals: Jokinen 2 (13), Nodl (3), Wallace (4)

Edited by RNT82

I doubt we'll see Murphy with the big club this year outside of training camp, though if Sanguinetti does stick I could see him filling his spot on the Checkers.

I don't think Murphy will be 20 years old until March so it is make the big club or stay in the OHL. I'm wondering if he is even going to get a shot at training camp in the shortened season. Sangs could stay. That will get the trade rumors going again.

I just don't see what more Murphy could get out of staying in the OHL.

In that interview JR also mentioned trying to bring in 1 or 2 new 3rd or 4th line guys. If this is all true, there is going to be a logjam..

Chip mentioned on twitter that JR's phone has been busy since the deal was reached, could be looking to get one more forward in a trade.Espcially with Ruu out basically the rest of the season.

Edited by Ichigo-1

Chip mentioned on twitter that JR's phone has been busy since the deal was reached, could be looking to get one more forward in a trade.Espcially with Ruu out basically the rest of the season.

That's what I was thinking. This team is in need of some grit with the loss of Ruutu. Hard to predict who JR could be thinking about..

Edited by jeromeo87

Another forward could definitely help keep the Juice in the top-6, and I'm all for that. ;)

On another note, Sanguinetti's hit on Etem Sunday was worth the price of the tickets. I can see him sticking over Murphy all day long.

Before the lockout you had a feeling JR might not be done horse trading. I wasn't sure in the short season if he wouldn't stay pat but maybe he is going to pick up where he left off. Hockey talk is fun already.

Has anyone heard if Alex Semin is in hockey shape?? I had heard (rumor) that when he reported to the KHL he was out of shape and didn't live up to his billing. I hope that isn't so, he needs to be ready to go when he steps off the plane!!

Has anyone heard if Alex Semin is in hockey shape?? I had heard (rumor) that when he reported to the KHL he was out of shape and didn't live up to his billing. I hope that isn't so, he needs to be ready to go when he steps off the plane!!

He didn't play for the KHL so I'm not sure where you could have heard it from. Maybe a disappointed Caps fan who wanted him re-signed?

Read for yourself:

Why Alex Semin decided to play virtually for free in Russian minor league during NHL lockout

Sounds like a guy I would want to have on my team.

I just listened to the Rutherford interview on 99.9 The Fan. JR said he would like to add 1 or 2 grittier players to the 3rd or 4th line, Later in the interview he was asked if the trade deadline date would impact his decisions and he said no he wanted to add one player as soon as he can.

WRAL Rutherford Interview