The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Law-Dawg

2013 In Season News, Practice Updates & In-between Game Talk

I would hate to see Brent go, kinna turned into one of my favorites, but Rem, u always thought that Ruutu would be back, and im glad i was wrong on that one...it seems he went to being out for year, nows hes skating, and almost ready, hey, what the hey, sounds good to me

I actually was thinking moving Jussi could be a bad move, he is finally starting to put up some points, and in the playoffs he has proven to be a player to score goals when they are needed most. We need one grizzled vets who is on a struggling team that wants his shot at the cup finally. I don't know who that is just yet or if there is such a player, a lot of teams still feel like they are in contention. Regarding McBain, I don't know, I like him, but I like all the canes, a lot of Mullers accountability made guys like himself and Corvo turn things around. I don't want to rush Ruutu back, and my guess is he will work his way up from the third line to get back to speed? Jussi Nash Ruutu could be a very nasty line. 

Looking down the list at the bottom teams, Calgary, Edmonton, Florida, Buffalo, Columbus, and Tampa Bay(!) would be the most likely to trade, besides Iginla whom we would have to trade an arm and leg for, I can't think of anyone that sticks out that would be tradeable.

Edited by Ichigo

Looking down the list at the bottom teams, Calgary, Edmonton, Florida, Buffalo, Columbus, and Tampa Bay(!) would be the most likely to trade, besides Iginla whom we would have to trade an arm and leg for, I can't think of anyone that sticks out that would be tradeable.

TSN has Smid on the block and he could be a good fit...towards the top of the league in blocks, big (6'3" and about 220), young and 2.25 mil contract.  He's a UFA at the end of the year though so we don't want to give up too much if bringing him back into the fold for next year is unlikely. 

I've read it in couple of different posts and I'm just wondering, what is it that has some people thinking that Jamie McBain is someone JR would want to part with? 

I can't figure out either why we would be in an rush to trade McBain. I still think his upside is far greater then any perceived deficiencies...Keep McBain.

:preach: Finally, McBain gets some love. Like TSA said, it's not often this team drafts a defenseman, much less a successful defenseman. Another thing people need to realize is, when you draft someone like McBain, retaining him to a lower contract than he'd most likely get in free agency is easier. With a team like the Hurricanes and their self-imposed cap, that adds value to McBain, at least for the Hurricanes. 

I think most people throw his name out there because he seems like the most moveable dman we have. I'm just starting to get  worried because if Ruutu does return in a week or two, and Terry is still up and playing well, along with Nash, who is getting scratched for Ruutu? Westgarth or Bowman? Then who gets sent to the fourth line? Can they play in a fourth line role as good as a third line role?  AHHHHH  :backpeddling:

As far as trades go, I expect at least one.  I thought there would be one by now, especially with all the injuries and before the season JR hinted he wasn't done yet. If it ain't broke, don't fix it comes into mind, but if it's just reaching its expectations and could go far beyond that with one move that doesn't cost the team anything that the move won't be replacing, why not? Post-Season hockey is way different than regular season hockey. Obviously. We need to consider we don't have a series stealing goaltender. And yes, Cam has stolen many series in the post-season. The two times he's started in the playoffs, the team has gone at least to the ECF. Now we're relying on Dan Ellis, who seems capable and has a great supporting cast, but I feel like if we added that one guy who has that strong desire to win the cup, a veteran guy comparable to Doug Weight or Mark Recchi, that would make me feel a lot better. 

And another thing is, we won't see teams openly shopping guys or giving up on the season for another week or two. This season is just so tight everyone still has a chance. So we can only speculate as to who will be available. Teams can go on runs and teams can go through ruts. I know JR doesn't trade unless it's a good move for the organization. Every GM makes moves they regret, but JR has made many more that he is proud of. Whether it be a defenseman (Smid? Murray?) or forward (Iginla? Hemsky?) or goaltender (Khabibulin?) it'll be a move that makes the team look a whole lot better going into the post-season. We can't rely on one line to provide the offense once we get there. So we're going to have to do something if the second and third line can't provide enough secondary scoring by the deadline.

Edited by SuckaPunchd

I know I am going to get alot of haters on me for this but its time for Jussi to go. The fact he is scoring goals makes him tradeable much more than say a month ago. He is not going to be on the second line and we are paying way to much for him to be on our third line. The way I see our 3rd line shaping up is Nash Bowman and Terry. At least thats how I would like to see it shape up. I think those 3 could bring what we need consistently just becasue they have played together in the past. That would be a 4th line of Brent Dwyer and you name the other canidate wallace larose westgarth. They are all there. Its time we actually move some people and let the young guys stay up here the rest of the year. Now this all hangs on if Ruutu is healthy enogh to play before the Trade deadline. Jussi has done nothing on the second line.. only the third. I just think its time. Thats my 2 cents at least. Flame away :)

I still think Jussi can put up some decent number playing wing, and don't forget he is stellar in a playoff series. Ice water in his veins when it comes to tying games late on! Also playoff expericence, which could be invaluable to some of the youngsters who.... IF WE GET THERE... will not have experienced it in the NHL.

With ruutu coming back, the d doing decently well, and the lack of players available I doubt there will be a trade involving any roster players or any significant addition to the team by the deadline. I could see an acquisition for a guy like smid. As mentioned before smid is a great shot blocker. He has 70 through 25 games. If he works out he could be a good pair for Murphy or McBain as he is a bigger dude at 6'3 and 225lbs. If a significant trade involving ruutu or Jokinen were to happen it would occur for a top d man I during the off season. That is semin is re-signed.

All of the sudden Jussi is the new McBain. 

The best argument for standing pat at the deadline is not trading away the future for a rental. The best argument for making a move is that the playoffs is a new season, a tough road and you need more depth than you think. 

Jussi will make you sorry you wanted to trade him. He is a 65 point guy who keeps getting forced to play out of position. He is a playoff beast, when the going gets tough and points are harder to come by. 

Teams that win the cup tend to have 3 lines scoring. 

Also, Jussi playing much better on the wing, has some chemistry w/ Nash. 

Bowman? I see the slick shot. I see the back checking. I like him. But waiting for him to put up playoff goals could be a long wait. 

Dwyer. Great all around player. But despite a few early tap ins, not really a scorer. Nash is already on a better scoring pace. 

Trade Jussi? No.

remkin took the words out of my mouth. Even though I think Jussi has looked slow this year, I still think he is a Top 6 forward. He clearly doesn't play as well at Center. This Canes Country article says it all. http://www.canescountry.com/2013/3/4/4063432/jussi-jokinen-at-the-center-of-controversy

Put him at 2nd line winger (or even keep him at 3rd line winger with Nash) and he'll play great. I will say though, when Ruutu comes back and with the top line being untouchable...paying Jussi what we do to be a full time third wing seems like a waste. One of the Finns becomes expendable. I love them both but with Tlusty's emergence, one doesn't fit. 

What a good problem to have. Too many Top 6 forwards.

Good discussion. Murphy can spend some time in the AHL and I would not have major heartache w/ that. He does need to bulk up. I think he has incredible talent and will be an elite offensive dman very soon. Though next year could be an up and down AHL/NHL year, especially if he shows up looking like a high school kid from the chess team next year. He will likely get some AHL time this year, which might factor in also.

The cap makes me dizzy and I find myself liking it less the the lock out talk. I defer to you on that one. 

Corvo, after healthy scratchville has looked MUCH better, but he will be 36 next year. Not sure he factors in...?

I still think it ends up coming down to McBain. What does JR really think of him long term? What is or might become his trade value?

If you could trade McBain straight up for a very solid physical relatively young shut down guy, would you?

Good thought about Murphy getting some AHL time later this season. I haven't folowed either his junior team or the Checkers enough to know how likely that is, but that would be a plus. Still not enough that I would want him counted on for the full season as a Hurricane, but it would provide a better feel for where he is at by the off-season.

A for Corvo, well, I wouldn't offer him a multi year deal. ;) Playing the way he is now, I wouldn't be too concerned about a year contract, and it is more likely he would take a cheap, short contract than someone coming in would. But it is more that I think there needs to be someone to fill that role than specifically keeping Corvo. That is where a rental would be a benefit - if the rental ends up being a better fit, then there's the option to offer him a contract. (And Corvo is a few months younger than Chara - and likely has taken a bit less abuse - so it's not like he should be ready to fall apart just yet.)

To trade McBain straight up for a very solid physical relatively young shut down guy? That would depend. I think McBain is becoming a rather good player, but a more shutdown defenseman may balance things more. But assuming they are in the same position contractually (still a few years of RFA left), then it would depend. Would his shutdown ability balance out what would likely be lost of what McBain brings (speed, passing ability, stickwork, generally good positional play resulting in few penalties, not to mention his offensive contributions)? And would this new guy be able to play with Pitkanen, or are we back looking for a partner for Pitkanen?

I wouldn't rule it out, but I don't think the kind of player it would take to sway me is likely to be traded by many GMs in the league.

I've read it in couple of different posts and I'm just wondering, what is it that has some people thinking that Jamie McBain is someone JR would want to part with?  I know he had a slow start this season but since then he's looked pretty good.  The guy is a +13....when was that last time we ever had any dman as a + never mind a +13?   He's a young still-developing defenseman with lots of NHL experience and plenty more upside.  Why are some so quick to give up on him, its not like this organization is known for drafting and developing all these great young defensive prospects.

I have to agree with Coastal, the biggest mistake he made was putting up all those points his rookie year and setting the bar too high.

While I accept that +/- isn't the most meaningful stat, his +13 gives him the fourth best +/- of all defenseman in the league right now. He must be doing something right, and certainly isn't a liability out there. I watched him a bit the last game, and was impressed with his defensive play.

As a general coment (since I have reached my allowed number of quotes). I definitely want to see players with playoff experience on the team to wrap up the season. I don't think that after so many years missing the play-offs, coming off a lockout, and (even with all the encouraging reports) Semin not signed past this year, that it would be too good to move out proven play-off performers for inexperienced youth - no matter  how good they have looked in a few games.A small move to add depth, without giving up more than picks/prospects that are not critical to the future, seems to me to be the way to go this year.

If a deal isn't made I wouldn't be uncomfortable riding this team into the playoffs but I wouldn't be overly confident either. I think much will depend on the health of Ruu and Pits. If Ruu can play at the level we are use to seeing him it gives us a solid 4 lines. If Joni can play up to the level he was playing before the injury our D should be fine. LaRose was beginning to play like the Rosie we like to see before his injury and that adds to our options. The big if is goal tending. Can Peters and Ellis turn in a playoff style of hockey. I'm not sure yet. But if any of these guys aren't at NHL game speed we will have to make some moves.

I think that all will become clearer in the next 10 days.

In the off season to get that top line guy we are going to have to move ruutu or jok and dman to make it work in the cap. I dont want to already about next season but if we keep semin then our top 6 would be set. The questions become is murphy ready and does corvo stay? I believe it will no on both if we can get a solid dman in a trade.

One and only one good post-season proves you're a playoff performer? I wouldn't consider Jokinen a proven playoff performer based on one post-season. I'll wait until he tears it up this post-season to say that. But that's just me I guess.  :couch:

I'm not sure if we have the depth we need to go deep in the playoffs this year. I'm not saying we don't, I'm saying I'm not sure. When Ruutu and LaRose return, our forward corps will be pretty deep IMO. It'll be interesting to see who gets scratched. If Terry is still playing well, and Nash to me as already claimed his roster spot along with Wallace, who gets the healthy scratch to make room for Ruutu and LaRose? I'll be glad I'm not Muller when that happens. :wacko:

Remember that at the end of this season some serious work will have to be done on contracts. Some will need new and some will be entering their final year. I' m thinking Semin, Faulk , Ellis, McBain, Bowman,Wallace, and possibly Nash will need to be worked. This might be in the 10 to 11 million range. So who leaves? Who do we try to dump to free up money? Sometimes trade deadline is a good thing. Next years team will start in the next 2 months. 

Seriously, why should we keep Wallace?

I like what Wallace brings, he's willing to throw hits and battle with anyone.  Were you meaning Westgarth?

Anyone else see this...http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=659679&navid=nhl:topheads. Has Eric Staal as a Hart Finalist! Crazy what bringing in some talent to help can do. Lets figure out this Defense  re-up semin and become a force for years to come. Feels good to finally be able to go to NHL.com, TSN.Ca and see alot of buzz about the Canes...times are changing.

Wow, that's awesome.  It will be tough getting picked over Sidney Crosby and Patrick Kane but its great to see the recognition for both Eric Staal and Alex Semin.  Crosby is expected to be the best and Patrick Kane is surrounded by the big market Hawks.  Eric Staal has accomplished what he has in a small market, with a lower budget and without a highly rated supporting cast around him. Pretty impressive.

One and only one good post-season proves you're a playoff performer? I wouldn't consider Jokinen a proven playoff performer based on one post-season. I'll wait until he tears it up this post-season to say that. 

Well that one season was a deep run. 18 games, 11 points. In 2006 he put up 3 points in 5 games. 

Better than nothing.

Well that one season was a deep run. 18 games, 11 points. In 2006 he put up 3 points in 5 games. 

Better than nothing.

I know, I know. I figure someone's gotta be hard on him, right?  :lol:

I guess I should also point out that it was his first year with us, when we got him around the deadline somehow for Melichar and a late pick. He struggled that season too, mostly in Tampa though. Then came alive in the playoffs. So I guess it's safe to assume he's gearing up to repeat that.