The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Law-Dawg

2013 In Season News, Practice Updates & In-between Game Talk

I like what Wallace brings, he's willing to throw hits and battle with anyone.  Were you meaning Westgarth?

No, I'm all for dumping him too...

Wow, that's awesome.  It will be tough getting picked over Sidney Crosby and Patrick Kane but its great to see the recognition for both Eric Staal and Alex Semin.  Crosby is expected to be the best and Patrick Kane is surrounded by the big market Hawks.  Eric Staal has accomplished what he has in a small market, with a lower budget and without a highly rated supporting cast around him. Pretty impressive.

Patrick Kane is also a low-life punk!

How about Justin Peters, guy is stepping it up, also Dwyer biffed Nash's potential Hat Trick come on Pat. Great Game last night felt good to shut down Ovi and Im sure Semin was happy.

I'd rather it be 4-0 then force a pass that had no chance of happening with the Caps defender right there.

How about Justin Peters, guy is stepping it up, also Dwyer biffed Nash's potential Hat Trick come on Pat. Great Game last night felt good to shut down Ovi and Im sure Semin was happy.

When Ruutu is ready to return, its looking more and more like Bowman and Terry will be battling it out for that last roster spot.  Bowman has to clear waivers (not sure about Terry) and has a lot more NHL experience so I'd give him the advantage right now.  I keep looking at the top 3 lines and I'm just not sure who they move to make room for Ruutu.

Putting him on Nash's wing would make a ton of sense till he finds his game but then what?   I could see Jussi being moved back the 3rd line wing and Ruutu taking his spot on J's line but that moves either Bowman, Terry or Chad LaRose to the 4th line.  Two of the three (if I have them right) will find themselves in the press box. 

A trade is coming unless injury hits again (knocks on wood). Even if Ruutu's return is imminent, I can't see it happening till the last week of the month, thats gives JR about 1 week before the trade deadline to sorts things out.

When Ruutu is ready to return, its looking more and more like Bowman and Terry will be battling it out for that last roster spot.  Bowman has to clear waivers (not sure about Terry) and has a lot more NHL experience so I'd give him the advantage right now.  I keep looking at the top 3 lines and I'm just not sure who they move to make room for Ruutu.

Putting him on Nash's wing would make a ton of sense till he finds his game but then what?   I could see Jussi being moved back the 3rd line wing and Ruutu taking his spot on J's line but that moves either Bowman, Terry or Chad LaRose to the 4th line.  Two of the three (if I have them right) will find themselves in the press box. 

A trade is coming unless injury hits again (knocks on wood).

If we're trading any of of those three it has to be either Chad or Bowman. Bowman has played good in the bottom six but was originally a top 6 prospect, and Chad is just overpaid for what he brings to the table.

Tlusty - E. Staal - Semin

Skinner - J. Staal - Ruutu

JR has repeated at least 3 times over the last few days that Ruutu is slotted in beside Skinner and Jordan, and that was always the plan.

Then -

Jokinen - Nash - Dwyer

Then a fourth line centered by Brent with two of Bowman, LaRose, Wallace, Terry

Good problems to have.

Tlusty - E. Staal - Semin

Skinner - J. Staal - Ruutu

Jokinen - Nash - Dwyer

LaRose - Brent - Wallace

(Bowman)

I like that right there.

This may sound weird, we're not Chicago, but I just don't see where we need to be buyers outside of injuries. There may be a trade, but oddly JR could be a seller. Someone might want LaRose for their run. Or Bowman. But if we get Ruutu back, those line ups listed above are very good.

Nash is the key. We had a deep need for a third line center, and now we don't. He is the real deal. Amazing, since he really didn't put up gaudy numbers in Charlotte. But another JR pilfer of someone else's good first round draft pick fills that spot. The only thing we could do is a Recci type move. Grab a rental for depth, slide Dwyer down and have an offensively packed third line. But I really don't see the need. Our third line is generating even w/out the Juice on it. That is the final piece of the offensive puzzle. Why give up assets and mess with chemistry? 

Lastly, I have been impressed w/ Terry. That kid seems to make things happen around the net. I like Bowman, and he has a slick shot and might have more total upside, but don't count Terry out. The problem for him will be in the playoffs, the 4th line is going to be looked to for defense and disruption. Wallace provides that. So Wallace-Brent---- Bowman probably gets the nod, w/ Westgarth only their for any degree of goon he can bring if needed.

But I see Terry scoring more points if he stays here.

Edited by remkin

Not that it matters really, but Ron Francis should get all the credit for signing Nash.

JR should get the credit for signing Jeremy Welsh to a one-way contract next year when he was an unproven product (and still is).  It will be hard to hold on to Brent and Welsh.  I could see one of these guys moved.

Regardless, if Nash can hold the fort down on the third line this is HUGE going forward.

Edited by coastal_caniac

I think Brent is the perfect 4th line center and would hate to see him go next year. He wins faceoffs, doesn't make big mistakes, and is very useful on the powerplay. I also think Wallace is useful as a poor man's Ruutu, making big hits and skating fast. I still like Bowman a lot as he is a good 2-way player with a good shot. So I guess, in my opinion, LaRose has to go. I love his attitude and the fact that he has been a Cane for a long time, but with his salary and all of these good new younger options...he just doesn't fit anymore. Also, Welsh hasn't proven anything and I'd much rather see him go than Brent. As for Terry, I like him, but not more than the other guys listed above. I'd be happy to have him as the #1 call up due to injuries for the next year or so and then see if theres a good spot for him...kind of like how Bowman was all last year.

Not that it matters really, but Ron Francis should get all the credit for signing Nash.

You're right. I remember Francis really praising him after he got here too. Basically said he was for real and had solid playmaking skills.

Then.....not much. But now, Francis called it. 

Edited by remkin

Fun with numbers. 

Take away our 2 "preseason" debacles, and the 5 games w/ half the d and skinner out, and we are 15-3-1, with a plus minus of: +26.

If I'm not mistaken we have had zero shootouts.

Since we got most of our defense and Skinner back, we are 5-1.  We are 7-2 over the last 9.

Even including those 7 games (opening 2, and half the team gone 5) we are solidly the 4th best team in the East as we sit based on points per game played AND team plus minus. Only Pittsburg, MTL, and Boston are better, and I'm not sold on MTL. 

Take just the first two games of the year out and we are +18. Right there with the best in the East. And that includes the half the team injured games. All w/o Ruutu and mostly w/o Pitkanen. 

This team, mostly healthy, can play with anyone. All healthy can beat anyone.

All that and the dagblarned Jets are right there in the rear-view mirror. Their next 4 are the Rangers, Toronto and Ottawa on the road and Boston. Then we get them twice at the end of the month.

Edited by remkin

I don't think Winnipeg can sustain this surge...they've fattened up on the bottom of the conference in the past few weeks...

I have been thinking about our defense lately. During the 06 season we had a very under the radar but good defense. I am starting to think that we just may actually have a really solid blue line.

We have really stepped it up too. Faulk, McBain, Sangs....is it possible that these guys might actually be top 2 defense men in the future? Faulk is a given but McBain and Sangs have really started to grow on me. I know our blue line is young but you just never know....

Seriously, why should we keep Wallace?

I like what Wallace brings, he's willing to throw hits and battle with anyone. ...

I agree TSA. Maybe AWACS hasn't been able to watch as many Canes games as he'd like and misses that part of Wallace's play, because in his role a lot of what he does doesn't show up on the scoresheet. One thing that does show up on the stats, Wallace has only played in 18 games, but is second on the team in hits.

Yeah, Wallace is like Ruutu without the scoring.  Good fit for a fourth line.  I like him, personally.  I think AWAC just missed those plays, unfortunatly.

Edited by jb_online

We need a Wallace-Westgarth hybrid.  I'd give anything if this team could find another Scott Walker.

And if it were me, I'd never give up "Big Boss" :thumbsup:

Edited by coastal_caniac

I don't think Winnipeg can sustain this surge...they've fattened up on the bottom of the conference in the past few weeks...

Like we haven't.  Winnipeg is a worthy opponent until we beat them on the ice.

We need a Wallace-Westgarth hybrid.  I'd give anything if this team could find another Scott Walker.

And if it were me, I'd never give up "Big Boss" :thumbsup:

You're the man, Coastal

Just saw that we Signed Biega, does that mean that a Checker's spot currently in the NHL is being filled cause his days in the AHL are over? If so could that mean possible trade of a D-man? Wonder how active we will be at the deadline, seems like we dont need a ton.

Checkers have been decimated with injuries.  A couple of members follow the Checkers pretty closely and posted about it here.  Also Danny Biega was injured in is debut yesterday.  An unfortunate start to a professional career for him.  There's a thread discussing his injury here.

Corey Perry and/or Iginla in a Canes uniform come playoff time would sure increase our odds of winning the Cup!!!

As much as I like them, I'd give up a Checker (ex: Dulpe or Bowman or Terry, etc.) and a few 2nd rounder picks to rent one of those studs for a playoff run we might NEVER forget.

If we somehow don't sign Semin, we might not have this good of a chance at the Cup for years to come.

Skinner-JS-Iginla on the 2nd line --- that's just sick!!!

Ruutu, "juicy" and "heelie" Dwyer on the 3rd --- OMG!