The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Law-Dawg

2013 In Season News, Practice Updates & In-between Game Talk

I assume the schedule will be announced this weekend. How soon after that can we expect to see which games will be televised by Fox NC? I don't expect any will be shown on NBC or NBC Sports Network

Good question, as FOX only had a certain number of games committed to this season. The new contract for all games didn't start till 2013-2014 season. I'll be fine not getting NBC or NBCSN coverage till the playoffs. Deep into the playoffs hopefully.

Still waiting on the schedule...

The only thing I know for sure is if games start on the 19th and we play on the 19th (and probably the 20th) we will start the season on the road as the Rodeo is at PNC arena the night of the 19th and the Wolfpack are playing Clemson at 6 pm on the 20th.

Even with our ultra-speedy changeover crew, I cannot see us unoading dirt/uncovering ice/laying basketball floor between late Saturday night and Sunday afternoon to accomodate all three events.

I wonder if the league plans to make our first home game a matinee on the 21st, since it a holiday for many.

Still waiting on the schedule...

The only thing I know for sure is if games start on the 19th and we play on the 19th (and probably the 20th) we will start the season on the road as the Rodeo is at PNC arena the night of the 19th and the Wolfpack are playing Clemson at 6 pm on the 20th.

Even with our ultra-speedy changeover crew, I cannot see us unoading dirt/uncovering ice/laying basketball floor between late Saturday night and Sunday afternoon to accomodate all three events.

I wonder if the league plans to make our first home game a matinee on the 21st, since it a holiday for many.

In the presser JR hinted that the first home game would be on the 22nd.

I don't know if they would want Corvo back, but since he has a no trade clause, it may be a moot point. I don't get the impression that he would want to go back.

Didn't know he has a NTC...that's out then. If what Droschak says is true and Sanguinetti makes the roster, I would think it a situation where he plays a good bit. Otherwise, it makes no sense to have him up here. A lot may have to do with how Murphy looks at camp and the confidence in him playing next year as Corvo is likely gone after this season. If Murphy looks good, as Rem said earlier, McBain is the odd man out there and we'd be looking at a top 6 of Murphy, Sangs, Faulk, Gleason, Pitkanen, Harrison.

Regarding all the speculation of the young guys coming up, I think it's pretty easy to see that Nodl and Stewart are going to be out, I like both Dwyer and LaRose but the both pretty much fit the same spot...fast, energy guy who can kill penalties although Rosie has shown more scoring ability. Remember that Semin wants to be on the PK unit as he beleives it helps his 5 on 5 game...let's see what teams do with J. Staal and Semin on the kill together!

Edited by Law-Dawg

So each team received "final" schedules today, and had a deadline to call back with any absolute problems.

Pierre LeBrun ‏@Real_ESPNLeBrun NHL clubs have received their team schedules, however, are now getting back to the league with any changes they absolutely need

All I know is we play the NYR twice, on 3/28 @ PNC, and 4/25 @ MSG.

Edited by SuckaPunchd

If JR does make a trade I would expect it to be fairly soon after the CBA is ratified. I would think they would want whoever they bring in to be here in the shortened training camp.

With Joni, McBain and Corvo all being PP and puck moving D-men you could move one but Corvo isn't going anywhere and Joni or McBain would be a major trade. I don't think that would happen. Harrison would get an even return but I sure would hate that and Gleason and Faulk are keepers.

Larose or Jokinen would get a good return. Would you trade your #2 point producer in Jokinen? LaRose is a type of player plenty of teams would want at the right price..maybe. I would hate that too.

That leaves any of the bottom 6. Dwyer does all the little things right, I don't think we would part with him for another 3rd 4th liner.

Just playing what if.

If JR does make a trade I would expect it to be fairly soon after the CBA is ratified. I would think they would want whoever they bring in to be here in the shortened training camp.

With Joni, McBain and Corvo all being PP and puck moving D-men you could move one but Corvo isn't going anywhere and Joni or McBain would be a major trade. I don't think that would happen. Harrison would get an even return but I sure would hate that and Gleason and Faulk are keepers.

Larose or Jokinen would get a good return. Would you trade your #2 point producer in Jokinen? LaRose is a type of player plenty of teams would want at the right price..maybe. I would hate that too.

That leaves any of the bottom 6. Dwyer does all the little things right, I don't think we would part with him for another 3rd 4th liner.

Just playing what if.

The scenarios are driving me insane. (or more so than usual). I'm ready to get this thing going.

The scenarios are driving me insane. (or more so than usual). I'm ready to get this thing going.

But these scenarios are great to mull over, compared to the stuff being mulled over from October to last weekend.

But these scenarios are great to mull over, compared to the stuff being mulled over from October to last weekend.

Indeed! It's been tough explaining all of the cba scenarios to my "casual fan" friends. This kind of discussion would blow their minds.

Didn't know he has a NTC...that's out then. If what Droschak says is true and Sanguinetti makes the roster, I would think it a situation where he plays a good bit. Otherwise, it makes no sense to have him up here. A lot may have to do with how Murphy looks at camp and the confidence in him playing next year as Corvo is likely gone after this season. If Murphy looks good, as Rem said earlier, McBain is the odd man out there and we'd be looking at a top 6 of Murphy, Sangs, Faulk, Gleason, Pitkanen, Harrison.

Regarding all the speculation of the young guys coming up, I think it's pretty easy to see that Nodl and Stewart are going to be out, I like both Dwyer and LaRose but the both pretty much fit the same spot...fast, energy guy who can kill penalties although Rosie has shown more scoring ability. Remember that Semin wants to be on the PK unit as he beleives it helps his 5 on 5 game...let's see what teams do with J. Staal and Semin on the kill together!

After Murphy's WJC performance with some bench riding and an abbreviated season, I'm not sure they will even invite him to camp let alone be on the roster. I agree if they move somebody, it would probably be McBain (or maybe Joni) but that would fall into a major trade category.

Again I agree that Stewart and Nodl (and Boucher for that matter) will be gone. Throw-in LaRose (maybe Boychuk too) for a trade to get a gritty forward with offensive upset like Ryane Clowe (SJS)...guess that may depend on gritty Wallace's camp performance. IMO Jussi is to valuable at this time to be trade bait, especially with Ruutu out for the year. Isn't it great talking about hockey again!

Trade Rosey, and there will be a riot at PNC arena! I'll lead!

Strike my comment, AWAC. I don't want you coming all the way back from Germany to kick some butt at the PNC!!

Strike my comment, AWAC. I don't want you coming all the way back from Germany to kick some butt at the PNC!!

I ain't there yet!!!! Two weeks from now...yah.

I'm wondering if the 23-man roster limit might be adjusted up in a shortened season like this.

Good point. That would accommodate for more Chex being with the team.

How do you guys think we'll be getting rid of Stewart and Nodl? I'm pretty sure we claimed Nodl off waivers to acquire him, and there is no real value for either of them. They're depth forwards, and most clubs use their farms for that. I think you guys are going to have to realize in order to make room, guys who have actual value are going to be going out(and this is even if we move anyone). Guys like LaRose that most fans wouldn't want to see going. I think we need to control our emotions in these speculations.

Unfortunately the only way I can see us getting rid of those two guys is by letting their contracts run their course (neither have much left). I think amnesty buyouts on them would be wasteful. Then again a lot rides on our shortened camp. And how we start the season.

How do you guys think we'll be getting rid of Stewart and Nodl? I'm pretty sure we claimed Nodl off waivers to acquire him, and there is no real value for either of them.

Quote from JR "we may make some trades that look funny but they are going to open up a spot for somebody else."

Funny.

Remember, JR got rid of Josef Melichar. We never thought that could happen. (And we got Jussi back in return. That wasn't a funny trade, that was brilliant. Not going to see that again.)

After Murphy's WJC performance with some bench riding and an abbreviated season, I'm not sure they will even invite him to camp let alone be on the roster. I agree if they move somebody, it would probably be McBain (or maybe Joni) but that would fall into a major trade category.

Again I agree that Stewart and Nodl (and Boucher for that matter) will be gone. Throw-in LaRose (maybe Boychuk too) for a trade to get a gritty forward with offensive upset like Ryane Clowe (SJS)...guess that may depend on gritty Wallace's camp performance. IMO Jussi is to valuable at this time to be trade bait, especially with Ruutu out for the year. Isn't it great talking about hockey again!

I heard Murphy has an invite...it'll be interesting to see what shakes out there. If we do make trades I hope LaRose...fan fav, scoring ability and solid defensively (of course that makes him valuable in terms of a trade). JR will find a way to make space, if he can move Kaberle's contract and pull off the Jokinen trade as referenced earlier, I don't think there is anything he cannot do. As much as some folks gripe, I think we have one of the best. GMs in the business My expectations are to see Sangs, Faulk, Dalpe, Bowman, Ellis/Peters, Wallace, and maybe one of Welsh, Sutter or Nash to make the roster.

So, are we getting a schedule today or what? Pretty much out of patience.

Just read that league and pa were finishing memorandum of understanding which has to be signed. Schedule supposed to be released after MOU is done.

I heard Murphy has an invite...it'll be interesting to see what shakes out there. If we do make trades I hope LaRose...fan fav, scoring ability and solid defensively (of course that makes him valuable in terms of a trade). JR will find a way to make space, if he can move Kaberle's contract and pull off the Jokinen trade as referenced earlier, I don't think there is anything he cannot do. As much as some folks gripe, I think we have one of the best. GMs in the business My expectations are to see Sangs, Faulk, Dalpe, Bowman, Ellis/Peters, Wallace, and maybe one of Welsh, Sutter or Nash to make the roster.

Sort of surprised about Murphy but hey what do I know. You're right about JR working magic with some unwanted baggage. I don't think you'll ever see another trade like Melichar for Jussi. And I still think he had some dirty pictures of somebody in Montreal to move that Kaberle contract. HAH!! As for Stewart and/or Nodl, IMO they only have value as a throw-in to a trade with one of our bottom-6 or a defenseman. Stewart cleared waivers last year and Nodl was claimed off waivers ... not high value trade material but they are taking up roster space.

What do the Canes need either via a Checker, trade or UFA: 3rd line center (could be Jussi or Welsh), edgy bottom 6 forward (could be Wallace), and a tough stay-at-home defenseman (support for Gleason's toughness, like SJS's Murray).