The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Law-Dawg

2013 In Season News, Practice Updates & In-between Game Talk

Time to officially tank the season and go for the highest possible draft pick.  The team has now lost the equivalent of 10 in a row for a normal season - 1/8th of the entire season in a single losing streak.

That's what I don't get though. It's not injuries. None of our important forwards are out (sorry LaRose). Sure, we are allowing lots of goals...but what I don't get is that we are scoring 1 goal per game now!!! We were putting up like 4 goals per game and our top line was the best in the league. None of them are injured. Nobody on the 2nd line is injured. We got a great player in Ruutu back. Nash caught fire and filled our 3rd line center spot. How does this group of forwards go from video game scoring to absolutely NOTHING in the snap of your fingers. (I was there for this "shift"...2nd period of Caps game at home this team just had its memory wiped or something) How does that just happen? Nothing has changed. The D has injuries and is mediocre at full strength and we are on our 3rd and 4th string goalie...so I get that we are giving up goals. I am just baffled at what happened to our forwards/scoring. All 12 can't be in a slump at the same time.

That's what I don't get though. It's not injuries. None of our important forwards are out (sorry LaRose). Sure, we are allowing lots of goals...but what I don't get is that we are scoring 1 goal per game now!!! We were putting up like 4 goals per game and our top line was the best in the league. None of them are injured. Nobody on the 2nd line is injured. We got a great player in Ruutu back. Nash caught fire and filled our 3rd line center spot. How does this group of forwards go from video game scoring to absolutely NOTHING in the snap of your fingers. (I was there for this "shift"...2nd period of Caps game at home this team just had its memory wiped or something) How does that just happen? Nothing has changed. The D has injuries and is mediocre at full strength and we are on our 3rd and 4th string goalie...so I get that we are giving up goals. I am just baffled at what happened to our forwards/scoring. All 12 can't be in a slump at the same time.

I'm right there with you.  It's kind of like the whole 'why does the PP suck' topic.  We have the talent, but where are the results?  I mean, offensively speaking.

Sadly this is the part where I tell you guys that "I told you so.".  I don't know what it is.  These injuries are insurmountable.  Our forwards are also not playing very well.  Probably has something to do with a lack of confidence with regards to who is in goal.

THIS is what's so completely baffling.  I'll never understand why when the team is not playing well and in free fall why the fans start turning on eachother.  Just reading through the GDT from last night you'd think a vigilante squad was forming to take out other fans that vent their frustrations differently.

The problem is not with the fans, their differing opinions or even the struggling defense.  The problem and the solution lies within the top 6 of this team.  The SE division is weak at best, no excuses why this top 6 is underperforming.

WOW,what is really crazy is that no one has made a post since early this morning. Looks like a lot of people/fans are totally dumbfounded by where the Canes are heading.!!  I TOTALLY UNDERSTAND, & I AM THERE WITH YA!!

Wednesday Morning practice

Michael Smith @MSmithCanes 25m

#Canes forward lines: Tlusty-E. Staal-Semin, Skinner-J. Staal-Ruutu, Bowman-Nash-Dwyer, Westgarth-Brent-Hall.

Michael Smith @MSmithCanes 27m

#Canes missing LaRose, Jokinen and Wallace in addition to the injured (Faulk, Ward, Ellis, Sanguinetti).

Michael Smith @MSmithCanes 3m

Rod Brind'Amour and Greg Stefan are serving as forecheckers in this drill. Brind'Amour showing he can still do it with the best of them.

I wonder what's up with Rosey.

How many minutes did he play last night and who with? 

I wonder if they've tried putting Semin with J? 

I'm usually the last to panic and be a Debbie Downer, but...........theres always next year right?  It was just a lockout season anyway right?   Obviously this team has completely lost all its chemistry and hasn't had a good period or several scoring chances in a long long time.  Nobody is  a force out there, nobody is a threat, nobody can find the net, nobody can pass, nobody can set up the power play, nobody can do anything right right now.  I've never seen a team go from dominant to looking so incredibly horrible for such a long stretch and I'm speechless we lost last night, I would have bet my bank that we were gonna win.   It had nothing to do with Peters by the way.

LaRose has the Flu according to Chip

Watching from first row on the glass last night, during pregame, he did not look well in the face at all.

He certainly looked ill, but I felt he played pretty good for his first game back last night.

Watching from first row on the glass last night, during pregame, he did not look well in the face at all.

He certainly looked ill, but I felt he played pretty good for his first game back last night.

He can't buy a break this year. On tv I thought he looked alright  but your view is a better indication. I hope he gets well soon.

If Jokinen shows that having been through waivers lit a fire under him then I'd say stick him on Jordan's wing with Ruutu and put Skinner on the third line. Give him an actual shot at producing and see if he's back to his '09 self.

Maybe taking the A from Jordan for awhile? I never got why he deserved it in the first place.

I'm happy we signed him and glad he'll be here.  But..... 

I must admit, Jordan is playing below my expectations.

Perhaps I was expecting to much?

I've been to all but two home games and have watched every Canes game this year on TV otherwise.

Never in all that time have I felt, "Wow, he (Jordan) dominated that period. He was the difference."  Not once, even for a single period!

On the Pens 3rd line, Brandon Sutter has more goals than Jordan (9 vs. 7) this season? Jordan's (top-6) team low of -6 (+/-) hasn't helped his case.

I was thinking Jordan might be a 30-35 goal per year (full season) type guy as our 2nd line center. Again, guess I was wrong about that.  

Regarding him being a "big body to wear down the opponent", I just haven't seen it. Last night I focused on him for several stretches, and Jordan was actually the guy getting pushed out of the way, not the other way around.

Bottom line, for me anyways, he's been playing below my expectations.  Semin, now that's another story!!
Edited by Greg-N-Ral

.....put Skinner on the third line. Give him an actual shot at producing and see if he's back to his '09 self.

Skinner had 10 of the team's 39-ish shots on goal last night and Jeff accounted for 5 of the team's 12 scoring chances against NJ prior to that!! 

I think some local media (hello MM) are gun-shy to point the finger at Jordan so they're putting Skinner in the cross hairs as the "problem" with the 2nd line.

Skinner had 10 of the team's 39-ish shots on goal last night and Jeff accounted for 5 of the team's 12 scoring chances against NJ prior to that!! 

I think some local media (hello MM) are gun-shy to point the finger at Jordan so they're putting Skinner in the cross hairs as the "problem" with the 2nd line.

To be fair Skinner had virtually disappeared before the Nj game. Muller had a chat with him before Nj and Skinner appears to have responded. J is another matter all together. I'm not that down on J and hoping the addition of Ruu to the line will get everyone going.

First, unlike other, sharper hockey minds, I really don't know what the problem is, but the difference between what this team has been and what they are right now is stunning. 

When a whole team goes bad, (and I don't see anyone on this board claiming the team is fine right now), it is always baffling. I'm not smart enough to know, but that's never stopped me from theorizing.

Muller. Called the team out last night. So, no, he is not saying everything is fine. Forslund, the team's own play by play guy, called the team out on the radio last night. Both of those guys are saying that several key guys need to A. Get with the program (E, Semin, and Skinner all with long shift lenghts after the coach drilled them constantly about short shifts). B. Bring more. 

It's funny, being at the game and many games now over the years, it really seems that 10% is the difference between winning and losing. I saw guys trying hard. I saw guys winning some battles. We had scoring chances. They got two fluke goals. But we gave a standard mid-season grind game effort, when we needed a true playoff effort. About 10% more out of most of the team. 

The one thing that seems clear is that our defense is average with all present and accounted for. I mean average, not bad. But our defensive depth is poor and our defense simply cannot get it done when injuries hit. I know we aren't scoring goals and that is offense, but the one other time we looked like the worst team in the league was when half our d was out.  McBain is not playing well and we lost arguably our best defenseman in Faulk. Behind them is our 3rd string goalie. 

This team needs to relentlessly press forward to win. But can they if they are worried about the back end? If they can't get the puck out fast and cleanly? Then, scoring 1 goal per game they REALLY have to worry about giving up goals. 

We need defensive depth, but since Jussi has no trade value, and I doubt McBain has much, and we aren't getting a solid defenseman for spare parts, I'm just not sure what the move is. 

I think this team is going to have to dig itself out. Can it? Yes.

I was listing on the XM NHL channel and they were talking to the play by play announcer for Minnesota. He was asked how they turned it around. He said, they started playing just a little better. Then a little more better. Then better. Then much better. 

Forslund said that sometimes the players are the last ones to truly "get it". Maybe this last loss and the pounding they are getting from the coach, the fans, the announcers, and everyone will finally sink in. 

Maybe.

Also, at the risk of irritating some, we could use a little luck too. Maybe a game where we don't score a fluke goal on ourselves, or we get a cheap goal after a good one. I know you make your own luck, and I know they need to battle through, and the breaks even out and about 10 other cliches,  but when you're down a break can help.

Edited by remkin

I'm not that down on J... 

Jordan is "on pace" (82-game season) for 18-goals and a minus-15 (+/-), along with his PK work (like Brandon Sutter).

OBXer, are you saying this is all you expected from him when we signed him to be our 2nd line center. Really, that's all?

(btw, lets not forget Sutter scored 17 goals as our 3rd line center on last year's team, just sayin)

Edited by Greg-N-Ral

Jordan is "on pace" (82-game season) for 18-goals and a minus-15 (+/-), along with his PK work (like Brett Sutter).

OBXer, are you saying this is all you expected from him when we signed him to be our 2nd line center. Really, that's all?

I'll be honest, I didn't know what to expect. J was a proven 3rd line center with an offensive upside. I thought J along with Ruu would add a gritty second line that would battle in the dirty spots while allowing Skinner to find open ice. Since Ruu wasn't there I'm saying I'm willing to wait a couple of games after Ruu is on the line. I think J should be a 20-25 goal man on that line over a regular season. He does battle hard and I like that.

I suggested before the waiver that maybe we should consider reuniting the Skins and Finns line and drop J to third line center. Not as a punishment but to get that third line going on both sides of the ice. I think that might still be an option if  the S-S-R line doesn't wotk.