The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Law-Dawg

2013 In Season News, Practice Updates & In-between Game Talk

Did people watch the game against the Habs??  That was a HORRIBLE effort!  Where was the backchecking?  Even on attacks, how often were THEIR backcheckers catching up to our forwards and stopping the rush.  Honestly pathetic.  That being said, why is that?  We used to be a team based on speed.  That surely is lacking now as well.  On the PP they dump it in and the other team has time to stop the puck and shoot it out.  Heck, Carey Price must have iced the puck himself 3 times in the game.  Obviously with the team now there is a SERIOUS problem.  Is it coaching?  It is the players?  Something has to change.  Not saying to get rid of the coach obviously but what the heck is wrong?????  I am so frustrated with what I am seeing.  Even if they are AHLers, there is no reason not to be skating and hitting their hearts out at this point in the season with where they are and need to do.

I really wish Ruutu could stay healthy.  He brings a lot of energy to the team and that much needed physical presence.  Is he day to day?

Should have never traded Ladd!

I like Ruutu, but I always liked Ladd better.

Ladd was not doing too much at the time of the trade.  At the time both teams were winners.  I think if Ruutu stayed healthy both teams would be.  That being said, hindsight is 20/20.  Not like it wins JR any points though.  I guess I am seriously only the JR war path.  Hear me roar hehe

Agreed, Ladd was stuck on the 3rd line and everytime he had a chance to play on the 2nd he didn't have enough time to gel and get used to it. He looked like a 3rd liner with us because he was stuck there. Ruutu had already been broken in and we wanted someone in the now and Chicago wanted someone they could mold. It worked out for both sides at the time.

Ladd was not doing too much at the time of the trade.  At the time both teams were winners.  I think if Ruutu stayed healthy both teams would be.  That being said, hindsight is 20/20.  Not like it wins JR any points though.  I guess I am seriously only the JR war path.  Hear me roar hehe

On NHL radio today, the Hurricanes actually got a rare mention. The host asked his partner if he saw any of th Canes/Habs game last night. Then he asked "did you notice CRolina with possession of the puck at all during the game?" this is what our last 10 games have looked like, including tonight after the first 8 - 10 minutes. There is a problem somewhere, and it is systemic. I've had season tickets every year since the Stanley Cup team, and have one trip to the playoffs to show for it. PP, PK, being outworked consistently have been the norm every year but one, including the end of Lavi's time here, the Mo years, and now w/Muller. Maybe it's time to clean house.

On NHL radio today, the Hurricanes actually got a rare mention. The host asked his partner if he saw any of th Canes/Habs game last night. Then he asked "did you notice CRolina with possession of the puck at all during the game?" this is what our last 10 games have looked like, including tonight after the first 8 - 10 minutes. There is a problem somewhere, and it is systemic. I've had season tickets every year since the Stanley Cup team, and have one trip to the playoffs to show for it. PP, PK, being outworked consistently have been the norm every year but one, including the end of Lavi's time here, the Mo years, and now w/Muller. Maybe it's time to clean house.

Of all people who can complain, it is you as a STH.  Karmonos needs to listen.

Most game nights I can stay till the end and still get to work on time. Sometimes I can even see the overtime. Last night I had to leave with about 10 minutes remaining. I know some of the time was because of Joni's injury, but it seems the refs were a major contribution to the length of the game. More faceoffs were delayed by changing players followed by a lecture. This is not the first game that this has happened. I thought the league mandated quicker faceoffs a few seasons ago to speed up games. I guess that idea went out with the new CBA. The players are ready for fast puck drops, maybe the league needs to inform the refs.

Someone mentioned JR's expression when Pitkanen went down. I am thinking that he might have been the most tradable guy on the team, and that just went poof.

I am trying to think of moves JR can make. He cannot be a buyer in the classic sense of shipping picks for a rental due to a. the team's collapse. b. no decent vet will want to come here to not have a shot at the cup.

But then we really don't have many solid rentals. Corvo would be the classic rental in a way, but can't see getting much for him. After that, any vets on their last year of their wanting a cup run? Jussi couldn't even be waived. Sure we could eat part of his contract, but low value now. 

Joni was the guy. JR has shown he's done keeping the Finns together w/ the Jussi waive. Joni is a guy teams would want, and some GM might have paid up for him in this market. 

That now leaved McBain. And he might be moved, but JR has little incentive to give him away, and McBain is not the guy most GM's are going to look at and think solid dman for the playoffs. 

After that it is into the land of jetsome and flotsom players. 

He is not moving Skinner, or J period. 

So I just don't see a big move to be made unless we throw in some picks maybe. McBain plus a prospect plus a pick for a decent dman? 

Trouble seeing anything but small ball moves. Corvo for a 5th rounder.....

On the plus side Tlusty is turing out well.

Wow, wow, wow.  Just reviewing this thread, and I have an incredible headache.

Early in the thread, the optimism was high.  JR is finally making the moves!  Look at what we have!  A real playoff contender!  They spent money!

And now, nothing but depression.  Total rebuild.  Big moves.  Etc.

Teams are suffering injuries, but the Canes suffered massive key injuries this season.  Muller has never had a training camp.  I don't know, it is a work in progress still.  I think JR just needs to clean up the loose ends with the cap and salary situation, and go for a reboot next season with most of the same pieces.  Obviously, there are some things needing to be addressed such as the lack of physicality with the defense.  (Did Gleason age 10 years over night?)   And then there is that second line that's not working.

What a feeling this morning.  Feel like I finally hit the ground after falling off the cliff 2 weeks ago.  Man, the view was so nice, and now, I'm just looking up at the rock face, with dirt falling on my face.

Edited by wxray1

Not having a training camp is not a valid excuse.  I said after two games that we were not making the playoffs.  It appears that I am right and I am very depressed about it.  We just don't have it.

Well the good news is.............uh.......um.........well.......Alex Semin is till awesome night after night....and.....its just a lockout year so who really cares right???.......A couple big defensive moves this summer and we're golden next year right???........crap we suck and this sucks.

Forward forechecking is also a concern. We need to add some bruisers. Power forwards that will check people iti the boards. We lack that and it's showing. Washington man handled us with their physical play from their forwards.

Forward forechecking is also a concern. We need to add some bruisers. Power forwards that will check people iti the boards. We lack that and it's showing. Washington man handled us with their physical play from their forwards.

Think you are so right on the forecheck. During our rise to #1 in the SE, the forecheck was much more prominent. For one, Eric was banging a lot, lot more than he is now. Wish Jordan would be more physical with his big body ... I get Anthony Stewart flashbacks. We need Ruutu back and JR should find another one like him, big hitter and can get close to 20 goals. Guess Skinner could dive in front of them to make the opponent trip!!

The elephant in the room, as it has been for years now, is that building a team around Eric Staal, and now around the Staals may be a flawed strategy.  Some would say just too many dry stretches, too many nights off...  I have tended to be one of them.  I just don't think that they have the fire.

Forslund would kill me for saying it, I hear his comments when anyone questions Eric's commitment or effort on the aftermath.  The franchise has bet heavily on it.

I acknowledge that for a significant portion of this season that Eric has played very well, and with fire.  My buddy and I call Jordan the "Staal Elixer" because Eric has played much better since his addition.  So I would take the criticism from folks on my comments and agree, perhaps I am being unfair this year.  Believe me, I do hope I am wrong in thinking this way, I am a Hurricanes fan, and I want to be wrong.

I just think the piece we are missing is still the Brindy player.  The real captain.  The guy with fire, the guy who commands respect, puts the whole team on his back, and takes them to the promised land.

In effect, the guy who just refuses to lose.

I still don't think we have that guy.  But I hope I am wrong.  I hope we do have that guy.

Better then buying him out, sucks to see him go like this he was a formidable player when he was on his game for us and brought alot of good memories.

Better then buying him out, sucks to see him go like this he was a formidable player when he was on his game for us and brought alot of good memories.

Definitely wish him well.  Just hope he doesn't end up hurting us like most ex-Canes do.

We have officially given up on the season.  This is it people.  Who else is being shipped off today?

No one...JR was content to let us swirl down the toilet