The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Law-Dawg

2013 In Season News, Practice Updates & In-between Game Talk

What really gets me is that it seems that this team has no heart and soul at all. There is a total lack of effort in more games than in games. Staal has proven that he should not be the "C" on this team. Maybe one good move would be to bring in a veteran player that could be our new "C" out on the ice and in "THE ROOM" as they call it. It is very obvious that he cannot lead this team, with where we have been since Brindy retired!  BIG changes need to be made,because with the teams that will be in the new division we will end up in the basement again with this team.

I said the same thing about Eric LAST season and got flamed for it...so go ahead and don your asbestos suit

So how come nobody is calling for Muller to be fired??  When you have that much talent and lose 10 in a row isn't it up to coach to figure it out and turn it around?  I dont know, i loved him at first but now i wouldn't be to sad if he got canned and we tried someone else.

At this point, I'm for anything...but I don't know who we'd get coaching wise that would be better...except maybe Lindy Ruff...

Can we promote Rod?  He is the MAN, after all!

We'll have plenty of fannie's in the seats next season. Unfortunately, they will be  Pens, Flyers, Rangers and Devils fans due to realignment. 

I always like it when national NFL announcers talk about getting "people" in the lane.  What?  How about "players", or "defensive tackle" or something.  Sorry, that's offtopic.

I mostly agree with bluedevil.  BD said it more elequently than my "flea" comment.

As for Skinner?  I don't know.  I'm depressed with what I've seen.  It is the same old, same old.  Same moves, same easy falls.  When he falls, he is OUT of the play.  This is not good, as he then cannot respond in Defensive turnaround sitations.

It was evident to me last night watching St. Louis versus Skinner.  Both small guys with skating skills.  I think exploring a trade is worthwhile, but I don't think JR will do it because he is bringing in scores of young girls, who are dragging along the family.  That's easy money and fannies in the seats.

We fired Maurice. We fired Lavi. We fired Maurice again. Now fire Muller?

Is our problem coaching? Product? Both? Something else entirely?

So how come nobody is calling for Muller to be fired??  When you have that much talent and lose 10 in a row isn't it up to coach to figure it out and turn it around?  I dont know, i loved him at first but now i wouldn't be to sad if he got canned and we tried someone else.

The fall this team has taken is stunning. It is way beyond injuries or the defense being subpar or the goalies. The reason it is so hard to put a finger on it is none of us is in the room, none of us are NHL coaches/players/GM's. And the fall has been so steep, so stunning, that it is hard to even come up with a plausible excuse, other than the team has given up.

It is hard to blame JR this year because he went out and made serious moves that should have made us at least a playoff team. Not a cup contender, but a playoff team. This is a league where the majority of teams make the playoffs. That bar isn't so high. And after a rough "pre-season" the team did come on. There was a period there where we were there with all but the very best teams. Like the team should be on paper. Sure our D is thin. There is no question that is part of the issue. It does look like if we are down even ONE of our regulars the team sputters. But then again, some fill ins have been decent.

But on paper our lack of defensive strength and depth should have been our only serious weakness. JR could not fix years of el cheapo on both sides of the puck in one year. But Semin and J. should have been enough to get us in the top half of the league w/ the other guys we have.

I do think that there is a point that JR should take the fall. Personally I think this is his last chance. Fix this team with enough raw talent, and fix it this offseason, or retire.

It's just so stunning also because Muller was the boy wonder. His record with a very average team at the end of last year was pretty amazing. Can you pull the chord on him already? I know you can't fire the whole team, but I just can't see bailing on him that fast.

At the very least why not sacrifice an asst. coach. Our special team are laughable.

I wrote on here about how good I though we'd be. I insisted we would make the playoffs, so what do I know? I know that this fall is epic. Otherwise I just sit here in disbelief tuck my napkin in and await my dinner :crow: .

Edited by remkin

The more I think about this the more I come to a realization that defense really does matter.  When did all this start coming around?  When we lost Faulk and Ward.  We haven't lost any forwards since the time of our winning streak other than LaRose (who wasn't doing anything at the time of his injury anyways).  In fact, we gained Ruutu.  Now we can't score.  Same forwards, and still we don't score.  That leads me to think then we need to concentrate on our defense core.  Perhaps a little tweaking with the forwards but ANY serious money should go towards building our defense for the future.  By the way, Ellis is not our backup answer.  We haven't had a backup since we won the cup and his name was Cam Ward. 

Back when the Canes won the Cup, they had three lines that could score. Now,they have one. They had six solid D men. Now the only reliable ones are Gleason and Harrison, and mabye Gleason is the only one that could have played for the Cup team. They had two good goalies, and with Cam hurt, they have none. You can't win a horse race on a mule, and right now, the Canes have a lot of mules.

For any of you saying I am over-reacting, I say whatever. A blind man could see our defense is weak, and thin. It's been a concern for years now, and the stats easily bear it out.

Just like all those years when we give up way more goals than we score, it looks like that's a concern again, even after only 5 games. JR has made some wonderful moves, but building a defense hasn't been his shining moment.

So suppose we lose 2 guys on the blueline - our depth is an injured Gragnani and M. Jordan. Call me out again when that happens.

I'm not eating any of this. :crow:

I posted the above when the season started after basically being called an idiot for worrying so much about our defense, and it's essentially the same post I have started with every season since we won the Cup.

Edited by coastal_caniac

You know what I would love to see?  A show like 24CH.  The Canadiens are doing a documentary where they have film guys filming the team at the arena and practice facility.  Practices, coaches meetings, meetings with GM and coach etc. are all filmed.  Sort of like the ones HBO did for the Penguins and Caps, and the Flyers and Rangers prior to the Outdoor Games.  The difference is that they only film at the arena, they don't follow the players at home etc. 

I would love to see what goes on in the dressing room between periods.  I would love to know what gets said between the coaches and what JR says to the players and coaches.  Love to have a glimpse into some of the phone calls that are made regarding deals etc.  Love to see the trainer working with the injured guys etc. 

Perhaps then we can get a glimpse of what is going on during this incredible losing streak.  Then we can get a view of the 'leadership' or perhaps lack of on this team.  Definitely something I would watch!

If Jussi goes off on a scoring tangent, not sure what that tells us about the Canes..Like a lot of you, I mouth off things here that I feel or think, but truthfully dont know what goes on behind the scenes.. Whatever the reason, teams have figured out how to beat us with ease..And for whatever reason the team, management or coaches cant stop it....

Back when the Canes won the Cup, they had three lines that could score. Now,they have one. They had six solid D men. Now the only reliable ones are Gleason and Harrison, and mabye Gleason is the only one that could have played for the Cup team. They had two good goalies, and with Cam hurt, they have none. You can't win a horse race on a mule, and right now, the Canes have a lot of mules.

Gleason is the only one who could have played for the Cup team? Are you serious? Do you watch the games? 

Muller allowed the top line of Eric Staal, Alex Semin and Jiri Tlusty to sit out practice. He also made a few line tweaks, moving Dwyer to the right wing on Jordan Staal's line and shifting Tuomo Ruutu to right wing on Riley Nash's line. Chad LaRose replaced Drayson Bowman on Nash's line.

Defenseman Justin Faulk was at practice but remains "day to day."

Per Chip Alexander, N&O

And Luke DeCock's article about yesterday and today's practice:

DeCock: No dramatic changes planned for struggling Canes

1tGW0E.AuSt.156.jpg

Edited by SuckaPunchd

TSN and the various NHL shows on XM have us dying. No defense, goaltending scoring, etc...the usual.

Basically, they say "they're done" and move on.

Small market, few fans.  We're not on their mind or list.  Not much to discuss. 

And we just got slapped down again.....the Juice scores to put Pittsburgh ahead.

does it surprise anyone that jussi scored look at the talent he is playing with makes it easier for him. He was playing with fourth line talent(if that) for the Canes this year.

does it surprise anyone that jussi scored look at the talent he is playing with makes it easier for him. He was playing with fourth line talent(if that) for the Canes this year.

yeah, i don't believe that the juice was being given much of a chance here. i know we moved him to play with j. staal for a while, did we ever put him with e. staal/semin? I bet he would have scored then, he has good finishing ability like tlusty. it wouldn't have made a lot of sense to break up what was one of the top lines in the league, but maybe tlusty would ahve worked with j.staal/skinner to complete that 2nd line. obviously doesn't matter now, but food for thought.

I think it made sense to move him next year he was going to be on the third line as long as Ruutu is healthy. With his salary we wouldn't be able to put anymore talent on the third line then we have. I hope we use the extra money to get a decent defenseman. I really don't know what to do with the bottom six anyone of them would be easy to replace.