The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Law-Dawg

2013 In Season News, Practice Updates & In-between Game Talk

Look at that, Jokinen was the best player on the ice besides Fleury tonight for Pittsburgh. Jokinen is going to be huge after this post-season and people are going to poop their pants when they realize he was traded for a sixth rounder.  Also Bylsma predicted Jokinen scoring and was really involved in talking with him. Watching Pittsburgh's coaching I haven't seen a whiteboard being used on the bench since last season.

Edited by SuckaPunchd

I'll put this up again.  Jokinen was in the Muller doghouse for not being a checking line center.  HIs production suffered.  Coincidence?  And look at Skinner, for anyone who might question what's going on, for gosh sakes he has his own call out thread.  I think this is part of his funk.

canes1213.jpg

Edited by coastal_caniac

I'll put this up again.  Jokinen was in the Muller doghouse for not being a checking line center. ]

And the Juice scores a goal and a shoot out goal to win the game.

The juice was the only one who scored in the shootout to beat Lundquist. Interesting because

when we lost the shootout with the Rangers, we didn't use Jussi did we?

Tonight I watched the pens with two guys we let go----the Juice and Sutter. IMO mistakes

to let them go !

Did the Juice ever score on the shoot out for the Canes?

Yes, many times.

He didn't against the Rangers this season.  The first season we had him he scored several.  Then, in later seasons he seemed to lose his touch or the goalies knew what was coming and were ready.

I woke up and saw the box score of the Pens game...and just laughed.

At this point, what else can we do as fans?  We have no control over the game...these players forget that's what they're being paid to do (vs. just about all of us with REAL jobs).

I think I'm just gonna sit back and enjoy watching the rest of this train wreck unfold...and pray for some relief during the off season.

He didn't against the Rangers this season.  The first season we had him he scored several.  Then, in later seasons he seemed to lose his touch or the goalies knew what was coming and were ready.

Exactly.  He went cold.  This part wasn't about coaching...  The shootout is 1 on 1, all him.  Or are you telling me the coach micromanages the shooter to tell him what move to make?

Sutter and Jussi are like personal stock investments.  When you take a loss on a stock, move on.  Forget it.  Don't keep looking.  It is finished, there's nothing you can do about.  If you sold at the absolute bottom, so be it.

I think Jussi will have a good finish to the year.  I'm not so sure about his future time.

After watching the Pens/Rangers game what bothers me most is the effort Jussi showed. I know it was his first game, but he clearly dogged it with Carolina this year. He threw his body into plays, which even the Pens broadcasters expressed surprise at.

He wasn't alone in lack of effort, but it was pretty glaring in contrast from the Jussi we saw in prior years.

Edited by Manwolf

If Jussi goes off on a scoring tangent, not sure what that tells us about the Canes..Like a lot of you, I mouth off things here that I feel or think, but truthfully dont know what goes on behind the scenes.. Whatever the reason, teams have figured out how to beat us with ease..And for whatever reason the team, management or coaches cant stop it....

There just may be a difference between playing for a team that expects to win, rather than one that expects not too...

Good for Jussi. Sometimes a player just needs a change. Jussi did everything we asked of him  including giving up a scoring line to play on a mostly defensive role. His place on the Canes was difficult to see moving forward . It was a move we had to make and if it works out for Jokinen I'm happy.

We are still only 4 points out of the playoffs with a dozen games left.

After watching the Pens/Rangers game what bothers me most is the effort Jussi showed.  I know it was his first game, but he clearly dogged it with Carolina this year.  He through his body into plays, which even the Pens broadcasters expressed surprise at.

He wasn't alone in lack of effort, but it was pretty glaring in contrast from the Jussi we saw in prior years.

Maybe it was a wake-up call for Jussi. On the other hand, the new coach and new system might dictate that he plays more physical which obviously was not the case with the Canes.

Maybe it was a wake-up call for Jussi. On the other hand, the new coach and new system might dictate that he plays more physical which obviously was not the case with the Canes.

^^^^You heard it here...FIRE KIRK!!!^^^^

;)

I'm not referring to hard body checks, but instead simply using your body in 1v1 battles for the puck. Every player should do that, regardless of coach or style. It is fundamental to playing the game. Jussi, and many other Canes, have a habit of poking their stick at the puck in those battles, and in open ice. He almost NEVER used the body this year.

Nice guy, good Cane, and wish him well. Sorry he came up short on effort to earn a ticket out. Hopefully he isn't rewarded and the Pens flop in the Playoffs.

the JetsGood for Jussi. Sometimes a player just needs a change. Jussi did everything we asked of him  including giving up a scoring line to play on a mostly defensive role. His place on the Canes was difficult to see moving forward . It was a move we had to make and if it works out for Jokinen I'm happy.

We are still only 4 points out of the playoffs with a dozen games left.

We have been 4 points out for a long time now. Some were happy that when we lost the Jets were also losing, but they lost sight of the others passing. Now we have to contend with Jets, Caps, and Bolts, since it looks like just 1 southeast team is going.

We have been 4 points out for a long time now. Some were happy that when we lost the Jets were also losing, but they lost sight of the others passing. Now we have to contend with Jets, Caps, and Bolts, since it looks like just 1 southeast team is going.

Ain't it fun! Win and you might, could, have a shot, there is an outside chance, you never know, it could happen, etc. etc. etc. get in the playoff.

Jussi played great for us when we picked him up. He is not the first player to get a boost after getting traded. I wish him luck but not a cup. I root for former players sometimes but not when they are with the Pens.

I dont think there is much to hope for this season other than high draft pick. Not being negative-just realistic. :(

Yes, many times.

It's been a looooooong time though.

Jussi played great for us when we picked him up. He is not the first player to get a boost after getting traded. I wish him luck but not a cup. I root for former players sometimes but not when they are with the Pens.

I dont think there is much to hope for this season other than high draft pick. Not being negative-just realistic. :(

If the Canes can't win it, I wouldn't mind seeing Sutter and Jussi hoist the cup. Once a Hurricane, always a Hurricane, except for Fat Kaberle.

Wonder how Jussi felt when, after being with the Canes for going on 5-years, and being a big part of the 2009 playoff run, and being a stand-up team-guy ...

.... the Canes organization hands the "A-Capt" letter to a young player, a newcomer, a never on the team, never in the Canes locker room before person with the last name of Staal?  

Wonder why Jordan really got it... ???

Oh yea,that's called fa·vor·it·ism!!

How does favoritism play out in most work places?  Does it increase moral and motivation... duhhh!!!

It's certainly not a good thing in competitive sports.

Wonder how Jussi felt when, after being with the Canes for going on 5-years, and being a big part of the 2009 playoff run, and being a stand-up team-guy ...

.... the Canes organization hands the "A-Capt" letter to a young player, a newcomer, a never on the team, never in the Canes locker room before person with the last name of Staal?  

Wonder why Jordan really got it... ???

Oh yea,that's called fa·vor·it·ism!!

How does favoritism play out in most work places?  Does it increase moral and motivation... duhhh!!!

It's certainly not a good thing in competitive sports.

Ding ding ding....we have a winnar!

Wonder how Jussi felt when, after being with the Canes for going on 5-years, and being a big part of the 2009 playoff run, and being a stand-up team-guy....

Oh yea,that's called fa·vor·it·ism!!How does favoritism play out in most work places?  Does it increase moral and motivation... duhhh!!![/size]It's certainly not a good thing in competitive sports.

I guess he realized that after the Canes were in 1st and seemingly on their way to Division Title. Yeah, that's it. It took a while to sink in.

Right....

And the Canes currently lose the tiebreakers with Caps and Bolts because all three teams have only 2 points via overtime loss, and Caps and Bolts have a better head to head record with the Canes. Duh-oh!

The tiebreaker might be crucial in this short season.

No argument from me, skills competitions are 1-on-1 and he should have more than one trick up his sleeve.  It was one of his roles on the team - scoring shootout goals.  If the coach doesn't have the confidence to put him in the top three shooters, that's his call to make.  But when he does it's Jokinen's time to step up and make a play with the creativity that he had.

Exactly.  He went cold.  This part wasn't about coaching...  The shootout is 1 on 1, all him.  Or are you telling me the coach micromanages the shooter to tell him what move to make?